• Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

Some Mechs and loadouts I'm considering:

Medium range Blackjack Arrow
ARROW

4ML, 4DHS Pirate's Bane
PIRATES' BANE

Yen-Lo-Wang designed for longer range engagements. 1ERLL, 1 AC/10. I'm hesitant on this one. Uses an STD255 I have.
YEN-LO-WANG

I haven't touched any engines or modules yet because that sh*t is stupid expensive.

I have about 4300 MC left.

Edited by YuGiOhMonster, 26 April 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#2 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

So you want to know if they are good or not?

I personally never use the two medium hero mechs you have there anymore. I use the Hunchback Grid Iron hero for the mediums and just got the Griffin hero Sparky. I have higher hopes for the Sparky, I just don't like the fragility of the Arrow and the Cent arm makes aiming for me worse. That's a personal problem though.

The Pirates bane is probably the best it can do i don't think the machine gun adds much. Plus it blinds you a bit when you use it.

The Grid Iron also has the guass rifle and the great quirk for it. It is able to fire the guass rifle 50% faster than other mechs.

Edited by luigi256, 26 April 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#3 MatterBeam

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

View Postluigi256, on 26 April 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

So you want to know if they are good or not?

I personally never use the two medium hero mechs you have there anymore. I use the Hunchback Grid Iron hero for the mediums and just got the Griffin hero Sparky. I have higher hopes for the Sparky, I just don't like the fragility of the Arrow and the Cent arm makes aiming for me worse. That's a personal problem though.

The Pirates bane is probably the best it can do i don't think the machine gun adds much. Plus it blinds you a bit when you use it.

The Grid Iron also has the guass rifle and the great quirk for it. It is able to fire the guass rifle 50% faster than other mechs.

Holee sh**

I never realized what the quirks did to the IG's Gauss.
However, I have a feeling that it's more fragile, slower, has a much less variety of weapon loadouts and has more difficulty bringing its weapons to face the enemy over difficult terrain than the Arrow.

#4 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

As someone playing since closed beta and purchased some cbill mechs I've learned some harsh lessons on choosing premium mechs. If I were you I'd ask yourselves these questions before committing:

*If these purchases are inconsequential for you then just go for whatever sounds fun. The below applies if you want to make absolutely sure you're getting the most for your investment.

Do I know I enjoy the play style?

Avoid buying something you think might be fun or looks fun but haven't tried. Ideally find a trial mech, or fit a current mech so you can try something similar first and see how you like it. Even an effective and fun looking mech may simply not mesh with the way you like to play.

Is it the play style or the power you enjoy? Will the mech still be fun to play if it's nerfed?

Even setting aside nerfs, with the exception of maybe 5 mechs, I can guarantee that as new mechs are released and competitive tactics shift your mech will be outclassed or become obsolete. If it's purely power you're after it may be worth considering something for cbills.

How much build variety can I get out of this?

If you already have a large garage full of mechs this can be less of an issue. But the Yen Lo Wang for example is very limited. Not just because of its hardpoints, but their placement and the mech's weight. Committing to a large ballistic takes up a huge portion of your loadout, and slots limit what you can do with the energy, etc.

Does it compete in role with one of my favorite mechs?
Not purely a bad thing depending on how you play. But as an example, I love the Griffin. It's one of my favorite mechs of any kind, but I almost never play them. I just like my Hunchbacks that much more and always gravitate to them when I feel like an agile medium bruiser.

EDIT: Check out the quirks.
As a person above noted, these can have a huge impact. Even without Gauss Grid Iron gets a huge ballistic quirk for example.
http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm

Edited by Shalune, 26 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users