Cw Is Monotonous.

42 replies to this topic

#21 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yup. Map design. It's the chokepoints' problem. Std. queue maps are much more unpredictable.
Exactly

Also I think a lot of this has to do with personal preference. CW tends to be a much slower paced match. And because of the style of the maps with choke points and objectives it tends to be the exact same basic game each time without varation. Just in general there seems to be less variety and creativity in the way you can handle games.

#22 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

From the IS side it's also monotonous because there is no diversity in clan mechs. You fight the same three mechs every game. SCR, TBR, HBR. Occasionally something different will show up as the 3rd or 4th drop.

I'm sure IS dropdecks are pushed the same way toward TDR STK WVR, FS9, but it doesn't seem as severe. Two players had Awesomes (yeah, I know!) as their first drop in one game. I've also seen my share of Crabs, Urbies, Jenners, Centurians, Catapults, Jagermechs, and Dragons. Overall there is just a lot more diversity on the IS side although more diversity usually results in a Clan stomp.

But I'll keep playing through the event. It's a change of pace from pugging.

Edited by Danth Reduviid, 26 April 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#23 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostBurktross, on 26 April 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Yup. Map design. It's the chokepoints' problem. Std. queue maps are much more unpredictable.

Lol, that is why Alpine is actually my favorite map in MWO. ITs HUGE, open, expansive, no choke points....its just sad the gameplay is such that it devolves into fighting over 1 little mountain in the middle of that otherwise enormous map., I really wish MWO would embrace Alpine as its key map design in terms of size, style of gameplay. Open, everywhere to go, many objectives, tons of stuff to do. Increase earnings, give us limited, maybe add 240t dropdeck to pub play and let us play for 30m and have 4 respawns in normal Q.

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 26 April 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Exactly

Also I think a lot of this has to do with personal preference. CW tends to be a much slower paced match. And because of the style of the maps with choke points and objectives it tends to be the exact same basic game each time without varation. Just in general there seems to be less variety and creativity in the way you can handle games.

There is no variation in how to MWO cuz the general play style is deathball, as splinteering away from the crowd equals quick and painful deaths. So, basically every game is the same thing...march in a ball, fire till the game ends.../booooring.

Its not at all like Mechcommander 1 or 2 where 1 or 2 mechs can actually accomplish alot on their own. Where there is many objectives to play and the whole map has to be used in order to win. Ofc those games are basically played in a death ball...but still, there is alot to do in each battle......

#24 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

lol 32 defenders 1 attacker. Nothing to see here

#25 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Been playing CW this evening first time in a long time. And the play is just soooo monotonous. Its kinda mind numbing after a while.

No different than non-CW. MWO is a very very repetitive game just in general.

#26 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

as monotonous as both modes of play are, CW is even more so.. Least normal queue the games are broken up into shorter time frames. yea it sucks that all maps play the same way but it isn't even on the same level of boring as CW.

#27 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 26 April 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

From the IS side it's also monotonous because there is no diversity in clan mechs. You fight the same three mechs every game. SCR, TBR, HBR. Occasionally something different will show up as the 3rd or 4th drop.

I'm sure IS dropdecks are pushed the same way toward TDR STK WVR, FS9, but it doesn't seem as severe. Two players had Awesomes (yeah, I know!) as their first drop in one game. I've also seen my share of Crabs, Urbies, Jenners, Centurians, Catapults, Jagermechs, and Dragons. Overall there is just a lot more diversity on the IS side although more diversity usually results in a Clan stomp.

But I'll keep playing through the event. It's a change of pace from pugging.

I think you answered your own issue here. Competitive IS mechs are pretty close to as limited as clan mechs, just less people conform to it for some reason. The main difference I'd say is in the diversity of weapons on each faction.

There are a number of different builds for Firestarters alone, every laser has its place, and a variety of ACs are used. Meanwhile clans should almost exclusively be using some combination of 3 laser types and gauss with exceptions for Dire Wolves (sheer weight lets them use ACs) and the viable but super niche streak boats.

#28 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

Truth be told...there is only so many ways to shoot a muthaf****a!

Posted Image

Edited by CocoaJin, 26 April 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#29 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 26 April 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Truth be told...there is only so many ways to shoot a muthaf****a!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

Thank map design and zero depth of play. Played 3 cw drops 2 nights ago and promptly went back to normal que.

#31 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostGattsus, on 25 April 2015 - 11:38 PM, said:

I feel your pain.... I hope that 4v4 the strategy of opening planets for capture spices up things.

I bet people will change their minds real fast once they get their first wipe from a crack 4-man. :ph34r:

#32 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

lack of mech variation is also a huge problem. You can't use other non-meta builds. Anything requiring ammo is also a huge waste because once you run out you are dead in the water.

CW is like 8 mechs total out of how many that are actually worth using... it sucks, the variety is one of the things about the solo queue that is awesome.

that and suck maps.

#33 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

I feel your pain.... I hope that 4v4 the strategy of opening planets for capture spices up things.

This.

But we also need a new defend-the-dropship gamemode with a union dropship.

Lastly we need more brawler oriented CW maps, preferably ones with high ambient temperature to punish energy weapons. The current CW maps favor long-ranged energy way too much. I'd like to see a downtown metropolis map with huge buildings that limit firing ranges to no more than 500m and forces both teams to get right up in eachothers faces.

Edited by Khobai, 26 April 2015 - 04:26 PM.

#34 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostKhobai, on 26 April 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

This.

But we also need a new defend-the-dropship gamemode with a union dropship.

Yeah, when they run up on the dropship and take 4 gauss to the face they might not want to camp so much

#35 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, when they run up on the dropship and take 4 gauss to the face they might not want to camp so much

Yep. The union dropship has:

x3 ERPPCs
x3 Gauss
x6 LRM20s+Artemis
x12 MedLas
x5 ERLLs

lol. even if those weapons are divided into three 120 degree firing arcs... thats still 1 ERPPC, 1 Gauss, 2 LRM20s, 4 MedLas, and 1-2 ERLL per firing arc. Attacking that thing even from one side would be a nightmare.

Edited by Khobai, 26 April 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#36 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...-pricing-model/

If they had more playmodes, we'd get less burnt out. Hashtag Hire more programmers.

#37 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 26 April 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

No different than non-CW. MWO is a very very repetitive game just in general.

Sort of. Folks get in a rut on playing certain maps a certain way. Then get upset when you get bored with that and do something different with the map.

Similar happens with CW drop decks. Must have this, don't use that...blah, blah, blah.

Currently using a 6 ML, 3 ALRM Hellslinger; 2 ERLL, 4 MPL, 2 ASRM6 Battlemaster; AC20, 4 ML Grey Death, and a 1 MPL, 2 SRM4 ECM Commando. I have fun with it. And, swap the medium and light around as I get bored. <<shrugs>>

#38 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 April 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 25 April 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Been playing CW this evening first time in a long time. And the play is just soooo monotonous. Its kinda mind numbing after a while.

SO like the rest of the game then? After a while its all the same. stomp around till you find the enemy. fight win/lose. RWR

#40 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 April 2015 - 04:26 AM, said:

SO like the rest of the game then? After a while its all the same. stomp around till you find the enemy. fight win/lose. RWR

Indeed, and outside of conquest it's all the same game mode too. Assault and CW usually just turn into Skirmish, just one side rolling the other and ignoring the objectives (though at least in CW you can't ignore all the objectives entirely). Even Conquest often devolves into yet another Skirmish battle, just on maps that have randomly placed "win sqaures" you're supposed to stand in.

Meh. There's very little complexity to any of the game modes which just amplifies how repetitive they feel. Then toss in badly designed maps like Alpine or Terra, where every single match is fought in the same spot.. meh..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users