Tiny Changes To Make Cw More Immersive

2 replies to this topic

Poll: changes (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Timer

1. like it (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. don't like it (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Betty

1. like it (9 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. don't like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Daytime

1. like it (9 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. don't like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:27 AM

MWO needs to attract more players. And the best way to do this not to throw endless numbers of new Mechs at them. Throwing endless numbers of new Mechs at players is a desperate ploy to make money by exploiting the collector's instinct inside players. Gotta catch'em all!

What really attracts a player to a game is fun.

And one way to induce fun is immersion.
Right now, all matches feel more ore less identical. (You can eat it fresh, right out of the can. Yummy.) Whatever planet you play on, whether you win or lose a match, whether your faction wins or loses a planet, IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PLAYER!

Here are my suggestions:

1. Timer

Has it ever happened to you that you stumble into a situation and you have exactly 30 minutes and 0 seconds to do something? No?
Change the timer from 30:00 to a random number between 33:00 and 27:00, and yes, I mean down to the seconds.
Having 32:43 or 27:17 would be a minisculy tiny change. But it would give you the FEELING that you are not inside a canned, artificial event.

2. More Betty

I remember MW2. The missions opened with Betty giving you details about your mission.
It could be very simple:
"Planet Altenmarkt, sector 11. The enemy has conquered the orbital cannon. Your mission is to destroy all enemy forces in the sector and to destroy the orbital cannon before the enemy can put it to use. Good luck, Mechwarrior."
So little, and yet it gives you the illusion of being part of a larger operation.
And I used the word MECHWARRIOR. It is the central premise and the name of the entire game and where in MWO does the player get called a Mechwarrior???

3. Daytimes

Weather can be tricky, as particles eat up lot of processing power. Daytime is easy: Same map, different position of lighting and different colour of lighting.
Boreal Vault with a deep-red sunset? Emerald Taiga at night? You know you want it!

Oh, I have more ideas for CW, but those would require more than adding a few kilobyte of code.

#2 Helaton

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationStar Captain, Star Wolves

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

1. I don't think a +/- 3 minutes would make much of a difference. If a team runs out of time, they weren't managing (or couldn't advance to begin with). There are also people who depend on schedules for work etc. (I can make a quick game before leaving for work.) If it is random, it might negatively affect play experience.
2. I liked the mission commander from Mechwarrior 3 much more for mission readouts etc. I think this is mostly a cosmetic personal preference. It might be nostalgic for some, but preference would depend on the user and there's a ton more stuff to focus on.

3. Now this one I can definitely see and get behind. Imagine a Boreal with snowstorms that obscures the current typical long range fighting. This would dramatically change how the map is played. What would work for one game wouldn't necessarily work for the next. Not just Day/Night, but in general, Environmental Conditions: Light, Weather, Environment.

Underground Mine Maps w/ Low Light
Day/Night
Sulfurous acid clouds/Steam Clouds/Snow storms/Volcanic eruptions (random debris raining on both teams)
Low gravity, high gravity (low gravity beneficial to jump jets/ballistics)

That would give at least existing CW maps tons of depth.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostDI3T3R, on 26 April 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

MWO needs to attract more players. And the best way to do this not to throw endless numbers of new Mechs at them. Throwing endless numbers of new Mechs at players is a desperate ploy to make money by exploiting the collector's instinct inside players. Gotta catch'em all!

What really attracts a player to a game is fun.

And one way to induce fun is immersion.
Right now, all matches feel more ore less identical. (You can eat it fresh, right out of the can. Yummy.) Whatever planet you play on, whether you win or lose a match, whether your faction wins or loses a planet, IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO THE PLAYER!

Here are my suggestions:

1. Timer

Has it ever happened to you that you stumble into a situation and you have exactly 30 minutes and 0 seconds to do something? No?
Change the timer from 30:00 to a random number between 33:00 and 27:00, and yes, I mean down to the seconds.
Having 32:43 or 27:17 would be a minisculy tiny change. But it would give you the FEELING that you are not inside a canned, artificial event.

2. More Betty

I remember MW2. The missions opened with Betty giving you details about your mission.
It could be very simple:
"Planet Altenmarkt, sector 11. The enemy has conquered the orbital cannon. Your mission is to destroy all enemy forces in the sector and to destroy the orbital cannon before the enemy can put it to use. Good luck, Mechwarrior."
So little, and yet it gives you the illusion of being part of a larger operation.
And I used the word MECHWARRIOR. It is the central premise and the name of the entire game and where in MWO does the player get called a Mechwarrior???

3. Daytimes

Weather can be tricky, as particles eat up lot of processing power. Daytime is easy: Same map, different position of lighting and different colour of lighting.
Boreal Vault with a deep-red sunset? Emerald Taiga at night? You know you want it!

Oh, I have more ideas for CW, but those would require more than adding a few kilobyte of code.

I like this except the mechs comment. Players really do need and want a large selection of mechs, both Inner Sphere and Clan. That the game also makes money on this shouldnt be trolled so much.

Thats not to say the rest of the game doesnt need additions to.

Great ideas though. I went with yes to all even if only some could or should be added.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 April 2015 - 02:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users