Constructive Criticism For Cw

81 replies to this topic

#81 Pragr

• PipPip
  • Major
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:58 AM

I read the first post and there are lots of great ideas. The skill tree is one of my favored, as well as the conquest mode.

What I would add here are several things that hurt the CW gameplay from my point of view.

1) Maps design. CW maps are simply too small and too straightforward for two groups of 12 people. Usually there are two ways you can go and those areas are so narrow that speed and mobility of mechs has no impact on play. The main focus on CW builds is "take as much tonnage as possible and mount as much armament it can equipped". That leads directly to my second point.

2) Mechs role diversity. Actually there's nothing like this. Lights mechs are good just for the rush attacks. Mediums are useless in general (the only exception is the Stormcrow, but that's because it has a speed of light mediums on steriod with durability and firepower of top heavies). No room for scouting (in fact there is no reason why you should do it, since on every map there is one or two place only, where your opponent could be/go), no room for tactical movements so low speed and mobility of heavies and assaults play negligible role. There is almost zero way how to "outmaneuvered" your opponents.

3) Current concept of ECM. Since the battle is focus on very small area, it's very easy to get all mechs under ECM cover. Because the countering working on short distance only, it's basically useless. TAG as a way of countering ECM is totally stupid and useless too (since the TAG is visible and has shorter range than is detection range for most mechs).

What to do? Tough question. Due current maps size I would say that decrease a number of combatants in each group could be a good idea. Limiting the tonnage would be another step I would considered as a good one. I would have no problem to decrease it to some 150 tons. At the same time I would make the number of mechs in one drop totally free. Do you want to take 100 t assault? No problem. But than you can take either one 50 t mediums or two lights. It's up to you.

Solving the ECM issue is more complex issue. But still, I would take the inspiration from modern aerial warfare. Each plane can mount the ECM pod. It's relatively small compact device, which protect the plane which use it. If you need the area ECM cover you need a bigger plane packed with lots of equipment to do the job. In fact the load is so heavy, that the weapon load on such plane is very limited. In MWO environment the 3 tons ECM pod would work for self defense only. For area denial you would need to equipped bigger ECM module (i.e. 15 tons) or it could work the way that each ECM module could cover one mech. So if you take two ECMs, you can cover one another mech (one is for your own protection), if there would be three, two closest mechs are covered, etc.

Edited by Pragr, 15 May 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#82 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

View PostVajhra, on 14 May 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

I'd replace the lobby with training planets, where you can stomp around, group up, have a run through tactic courses and marked firing ranges etc.... where friendly damage costs MC's to try and limit people blasting each other. Have the function of planet selection and drop queing taken over by an inscreen menu which is accessible while on the "Rally Planets".

Then go about and make a different themed version for each Clan and IS factions... oh and I forget, each planet could have designated areas for duelling it out with no FF penatly - which would be useful for Clan culture!!

If you really wanted to go the extra mile, have CW game launches arranged so that queued players have to board a large dropship.
;)
I don't think its impossible, but it beats sitting alone in a lobby looking at a star map <_<
And gives something to do while waiting for drops to fill.

Oh, and then allow unit's to have their own, so only members can access the planet and create a real vibe!

All good ideas. Even if the screen were just an Overlord or Invader Class Dropship (or some kind of warship for the Clans), having that screen do something other than watch empty spaces in a queue fill and then drop out as the timer clicks up...

I mean, I have a lot of hope for this, because this IS beta. And I know that tag is driving some people crazy, but I'd rather they do this right than just throw something together to appease the masses. That never works.

The hope with this thread is to give them some ideas to add depth and heart to this game and make it more than COD with torso twists.

View PostPragr, on 15 May 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

I read the first post and there are lots of great ideas. The skill tree is one of my favored, as well as the conquest mode.

What I would add here are several things that hurt the CW gameplay from my point of view.

1) Maps design. CW maps are simply too small and too straightforward for two groups of 12 people. Usually there are two ways you can go and those areas are so narrow that speed and mobility of mechs has no impact on play. The main focus on CW builds is "take as much tonnage as possible and mount as much armament it can equipped". That leads directly to my second point.

2) Mechs role diversity. Actually there's nothing like this. Lights mechs are good just for the rush attacks. Mediums are useless in general (the only exception is the Stormcrow, but that's because it has a speed of light mediums on steriod with durability and firepower of top heavies). No room for scouting (in fact there is no reason why you should do it, since on every map there is one or two place only, where your opponent could be/go), no room for tactical movements so low speed and mobility of heavies and assaults play negligible role. There is almost zero way how to "outmaneuvered" your opponents.

3) Current concept of ECM. Since the battle is focus on very small area, it's very easy to get all mechs under ECM cover. Because the countering working on short distance only, it's basically useless. TAG as a way of countering ECM is totally stupid and useless too (since the TAG is visible and has shorter range than is detection range for most mechs).

What to do? Tough question. Due current maps size I would say that decrease a number of combatants in each group could be a good idea. Limiting the tonnage would be another step I would considered as a good one. I would have no problem to decrease it to some 150 tons. At the same time I would make the number of mechs in one drop totally free. Do you want to take 100 t assault? No problem. But than you can take either one 50 t mediums or two lights. It's up to you.

Solving the ECM issue is more complex issue. But still, I would take the inspiration from modern aerial warfare. Each plane can mount the ECM pod. It's relatively small compact device, which protect the plane which use it. If you need the area ECM cover you need a bigger plane packed with lots of equipment to do the job. In fact the load is so heavy, that the weapon load on such plane is very limited. In MWO environment the 3 tons ECM pod would work for self defense only. For area denial you would need to equipped bigger ECM module (i.e. 15 tons) or it could work the way that each ECM module could cover one mech. So if you take two ECMs, you can cover one another mech (one is for your own protection), if there would be three, two closest mechs are covered, etc.

Even the size of the maps isn't awful if they utilized the space and designed them better. I agree that the maps leave something to be desired. As I mentioned in the OP and elsewhere on these boards, they feel like arenas. They have too many elements, such as generators that control gates that, when destroyed, open those gates, that are easily shot by obvious ramps outside those same gates...that just smack of artificial combat arena.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users