What Phoenix Variant Mechs Do You Run In Cw?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:57 AM

Just wondering if anyone is running their [P] mechs in CW. I have tried the GRF-3M, SHD-2H, WVR-6R and BLR-1G as a 250 deck vs Clans. I threw in the Bronze Medallions and then went to work ready to be amazed at all the extra Loyalty Points I would be rolling in. Premium Time gave more of a bonus than the mechs+medallions. What is even worse is that I was making less Loyalty Points that I was with meta mechs.

My normal drop deck of FR9-S, TDR-5SS, JM6-DD and STK-4N were just making more Loyalty Points than the Phoenix drop deck. Not sure if I wasnt as used to the Phoenix mechs as I was with the quirked mechs or if the quirked mechs were just that awesome. Whatever the case is, it seems like the bonus Loyalty Points of the Phoenix mechs is pretty low.

I was running the mediums and assault mostly as brawlers. The GRF-3M with 3 MLs, 3 SRM4s-4 tons ammo, BAP, AMS+1 ton ammo, 3 JJs, 3 DHS, STD 265. The SHD-2H with 1 ML, 3 SRM4s-5 tons ammo, 3 MGs- 1.5 tons ammo, BAP, AMS+1.5 tons ammo, 3 JJs, 1 DHS, STD 260. The WVR-6R was more a long ranged with 2 AC/5s+8 tons ammo, 1 ML, BAP, 3 JJs and XL 255. The BLR-1G with 6 MPLs, 2 MGs+1 ton ammo, BAP, AMS+1.5 tons ammo, 10 DHS, STD 350.

#2 sandworm16

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

BLR-1G should really use medium lasers because of the quirks. You'll basically have cooler running, longer range MPL equivalents.

#3 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

The Thunderbolt with 2xLL + 2xML, it is not on par with the Quirk Monsters but i would not spend C-Bills for CW, you can also run the Battlemaster (with ML and hope you get a short range map).

The ERLL Locust only if you have not more than 20t left in your Dropdeck and the Shadow Hawk is way to ammo dependent and lacks any remotely "competitive" aka "Total Quirk Overdose" Quirks.

Do not own any other Phoenix Mech so cant tell about tem.

Edited by Thorqemada, 29 April 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#4 Azmaat

• PipPip
  • Senior Colonel
  • Senior Colonel
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

I've tried same dropdeck with medallions, and "yes" [P] only useful thing in CW is BLR-1G. I'm still using WVR-6R sometimes, but planning to change it for GRF-2N. And "yes" i regret i bought Phoenix pack and Sabre extension.

#5 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

Before I switched to Clan Wolf (due to wait times for the event) - I ran the Griffin-1N(P) and the Thunderbolt-5S(P) as these specific mechs provide a 2.5% loyalty bonus.

#6 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

I've got the following in my deck at this moment:

Thunderbolt P with 4LL.
Battlemaster P with 3LPL, 3ML.

#7 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostAzmaat, on 29 April 2015 - 06:23 AM, said:

I've tried same dropdeck with medallions, and "yes" [P] only useful thing in CW is BLR-1G. I'm still using WVR-6R sometimes, but planning to change it for GRF-2N. And "yes" i regret i bought Phoenix pack and Sabre extension.

I don't regret my buy.

The WVR-6R's AC5 quirks are amazing. Requires face time tho, but those AC5s with level 5 cool down module fire like AC2s and it shreds. If you can avoid focus fire, and peek that arm out a bit, it has a great role to fill in CW. Of the phoenix mechs, with the current quirks, I love this mech the best. In the solo queue this mech is a terror. I got 5 kills, 3 assists and 750 damage out of it last night. don't want to bring it to CW, fine, but as a c-bill grinder, its amazing.

The SHD-2H is also a great high mounted AC5 pain machine. though the ROF isn't like the WVR-6R, the high mounted guns make up for it.

The GRF-1N, not so much good for CW, its quirked for PPCs but carries 3 missile points and good tube counts (20, 2x10). Its also got 3 energy, but its on the arm and its pretty low. Still, you can make a decent splat mech with 3xSRM6, handy for defending Omega. Dropping 36 points of SRMs at close range and 15 more of ML fire can open mechs up pretty fast. Its a niche mech.

I think the LCT-1V is useless in Invasion and Counter Attack, there are better mechs but when we get 4v4? I might be a good choice, we'll see how it works out.

The TDR-5S, before the quirks was pretty flexible. I ran it as a SRM and ML boat, a LRM boat and a general swiss army knife (SRMs, MLs and LLs). Quirks make it pretty good at those things, though there are better Thunderbolts for CW. Still you can pack 4 LLs on it and take advantage of the 25% range buff, the 25% cooldown buff, and the -12.5% buffs to duration and heat. Not that great at peeking so that's why its the least of the TDRs. But in the good hands it can shine. And like all TDRs, it tanks really well.

The BLR-1G... I struggled with it for a long time. I really wanted to like the BLR, its Hanse Davion's ride after all. But the mech didn't connect with my play style for a long time. Then I finally "got it" after the quirks and it's been pretty good for me. I run mine as an energy boat, mixing MLs and LPLs and LL. Those two high energy points make for great hill humping with LLs, as good as the Stalker, though half the firepower. But get in brawling range and face a wall MLs, its nasty to confront. The negative torso twist quirk hurts in certain situations however.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users