Cockpit Glass Is Not The Only Head...

18 replies to this topic

Poll: should a whole area be the headhit box? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

should head hit boxes be redone?

1. Yes (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

2. No (15 votes [53.57%])

Percentage of vote: 53.57%

3. Yes, but only a lil bit overhauled (8 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

As far as i could see in the training grounds the only way to make headshots is to target for the glass areas of some mechs- but normally the whole cockpit would count as head within bt...
I know its a problem of balancing and against headshots to handle it this way but in some cases /chassis it is verry unfair...

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Most head hitboxes are quite similar in size, its just a matter of learning where they are. Obviously the whole glass area can't be the cockpit.

Its quite fair as it is now. Can you name specific problem mechs for you?

#3 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

Do you want it to be like head-shotting Battlemasters in MW1?

#4 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

Back in early Beta... The Atlas head was the size of the entire skull-head.... Those were great days to be a Jenner, or Hunchie pilot... lol

But, then, it's always a good day to be a Jenner pilot n.n Still one of the best mechs in the game.

I do agree however. Heads should be a little bit bigger. Though, I get a lot of free tonnage stripping my head armor down to 5, thanks to how incredibly unlikely it is to be headshot by anything but Artillery/airstrikes.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 30 April 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#5 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

If you make head hitboxes bigger, the double gauss will rule supreme imho.

On some mechs it's kinda hard to tell which part of the glass counts as head though, maybe it should slightly glow from within or something.

#6 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

No way, the small hitboxes keep it so it takes some actual skill (or at least a stationary target) to kill via headshot.
If we were to make the hitboxes bigger, then it would be that much easier to get that kind of kill. And that would most likely result in a drop in average TTK. And that would cause a lot of complaints (but then again, everything seems to do that anyways).

So no, I do not think the cockpit needs to be easier to hit.

#7 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 30 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

No way, the small hitboxes keep it so it takes some actual skill (or at least a stationary target) to kill via headshot.
If we were to make the hitboxes bigger, then it would be that much easier to get that kind of kill. And that would most likely result in a drop in average TTK. And that would cause a lot of complaints (but then again, everything seems to do that anyways).

So no, I do not think the cockpit needs to be easier to hit.

Personally, I think headshots are matter of dumb luck, not skill at the moment. The heads are too small, and semi-arbitrary to be able to hit them with skill.

I don't think they should be MUCH bigger, just a smidge. Say, 15-25% increase. Really, this only comes into play when you're standing less than 100 meters away. Large bore ACs will be the best head-hunters, as they should be. Right now, many mechs standing perfectly still are a pain to headshot XD

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 30 April 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

I would not have a problem with a head hitbox e.g. twice the current size, however no way should we go back to the Atlas having a huge head which anyone can hit and down that Mech in a few seconds at 1KM

#9 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 30 April 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

Personally, I think headshots are matter of dumb luck, not skill at the moment. The heads are too small, and semi-arbitrary to be able to hit them with skill.

I don't think they should be MUCH bigger, just a smidge. Say, 15-25% increase. Really, this only comes into play when you're standing less than 100 meters away. Large bore ACs will be the best head-hunters, as they should be. Right now, many mechs standing perfectly still are a pain to headshot XD

I do suppose you make a fair point there; as it stands I have gotten a few headshots, and I am by no means a skilled player. :P (That one PPC headshot on River City Night, for instance, was DEFINITELY dumb luck rather than skill :ph34r: )

And I do suppose some cases could use a slightly larger head, but again not too much! Too big and then all you have to do is aim in the general direction of the cockpit and BOOM decapitated 'Mech. :blink: Which I am sure nobody wants. <_<

#10 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

If you know where the head hitbox is you can shoot it fairly easily assuming that the target is distracted and slow or stationary. I would love it if it got bigger, then I can rack up even more headshots and faster too.

#11 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

well i was testing it on the testing grounds and i think it was the catapult which had only head hits when you hit the upper glass.
And i am not sure if it was also with the atlas´ eyes.
What i meant was more like make one "cockpit" size and define it as the hit box so every cockpit would at least be the same size

Edited by Fireeagle, 01 May 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#12 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

View PostFireeagle, on 01 May 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

well i was testing it on the testing grounds and i think it was the catapult which had only head hits when you hit the upper glass.
And i am not sure if it was also with the atlas´ eyes.
What i meant was more like make one "cockpit" size and define it as the hit box so every cockpit would at least be the same size

I would add one caveat to that - have the hitbox size be based on the weight class. Lights have the smallest head hitboxes, mediums somewhat larger, heavies larger still, and assaults the largest. These would be in small increments to keep assaults from having broadside-of-barn hitboxes for the heads, of course.

#13 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

The used to be a time when the entire glass canopy on the Catapult and Cataphract was a head hitbox. Those 2 mechs got "killed" by a head shot majority of the time. Cataphract got hot fixed 1-2 weeks after it's release. Catapult took much longer.

Jagger used to have a larger "head" hit box, as in all the glass counted as cockpit, that was also patched becuse they died to head shots when you aimed for their CT.

The only mech that still has the "original" all glass head hit is a Jenner if I remember correctly.

Short answer "head" hit boxes are about the rigth size. Unless you would like to be on a reciving end of more 2x Gauss to the face.

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

I guess it's plausible for minor adjustments to the head, here and there; but for the most part, mechs seem fine overall with their hitboxes.

#15 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

Honestly it used to be cheep kill with head shots. Anything with an alpha of 40 could instakill you with one shot regardless of your tonnage.... no thanks

#16 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

You need to look at one of the hitbox guides. The actual target-able head area is very similar across all mechs. It is small, but that is very intentional, and I think fair. You need to be a good shot to go for headshots in MWO. However, there is also no real penalty for trying either. Since a missed head shot in most all cases, hits the center torso which is also good.

Check out this thread . . .
http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/
Note, this is player sourced, and not 100% accurate (although it is close). I am fairly certain that in particular the hitbox on the commando has been updated since this was posted to bring it more in line with the face plate of other mechs.

As you can see, the hit boxes for heads are very consistent across all mechs. They are small. They are supposed to be. While there are some balance issues for hit boxes out there, they are not in the head.

Edited by DoctorZuber, 02 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#17 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I think you should be able to adjust your cockpit features, like your gyro and weight reduction, and make your cockpit smaller, but with less room to see but harder to hit, or bigger, so save tonnage, but there is nothing particularly wrong with head shots, besides the fact they're hard to hit,

I your going to complain about headshots, adjust the Jenner's PGI :P

if*

#18 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Tldr there's a google doc floating around somewhere that shows all hitboxes in it, Clan and IS google it :3

#19 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Even though I think the current system is sufficient when concerned with gameplay experience; I do have a proposal for people that are interested in having larger head hitboxes. And that is; if we're going to make head hitboxes larger. Then perhaps it's worthwhile to have a percentage amount of head damage taken, to be immediately transferred to the center torso. (40% damage for example).

This would help to headshots to be more common, but it would also help nullify the reward of the extremely easy head-shot kill. I'll let you guys be the judges of that idea. Whatever you guys think, just try to be fair in any disagreements you may have.

Edited by Livaria, 19 September 2017 - 01:23 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users