19 replies to this topic

#1 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

I'm realizing that there is no point in buying more clan mechs because I can't use them in CW. I was about to buy the Wave I Timbers and Warhawks and was even considering getting the HBR's a la carte (because if I'm going to plunk down for mechs I like to have the 30% bonus). That $115 PGI would make off of me right there *if* there was some system to allow me to use *any* of them in CW. I'm sure there are clanners that feel the same way, but to use some of their IS mechs (perhaps more so since there are still far more IS mechs than clan).

I am not asking to be able to drop an all clan deck as an IS faction, even if I could jut drop *ONE*, take some sort of weight penalty, or have to "earn" a rank with the faction (reward loyalty), that would be enough. It would open up peoples options in mech selection in CW and maybe, just maybe PGI could sell more merch with the allure of having that flexibility.

But if CW is the end game, why bother buying both IS and Clan packs?

Edited by MovinTarget, 14 May 2015 - 07:12 AM.

#2 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

Kind of defeats the point of CW really , But then PGI need to start introducing allowable mech's for each faction in CW too as no doubt certain mechs are really certain faction orientated.

The reason for buying both Clan and IS mechs is that people may want to play for both sides. Otherwise they may as well just go with one faction and IS is a lot more user friendly than Clan due to the high cost in C-Bills ingame or $ in real money.

#3 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

Would PGI really want to shoot themselves in the foot with loyalists though? Those of us with no (current) desire to faction hop have no real reason to buy cross-tech.

Your point about allowable mechs is interesting, what if certain factions could only run a small sampe of cross-tech (i.e. clans bordering with Kurita, could run a canon-Kurita mech chassis that was "recovered" and vice versa... It would be REALLY limiting on the IS side as there are fewer clan mechs, but that would add some logical access, even if it would mean tht Davion would hve to wait awhile before we'd get *any* clan mechs... I know that you meant to further limit mech options by faction but I'm thinking about going the other way...

Of course if we could have different profiles (i.e. characters) then that would solve this, at the expense of having clear loyalties (2 profiles w/ different factions/units and having to choose between them when time to play...)

Edited by MovinTarget, 14 May 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#4 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 14 May 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

Would PGI really want to shoot themselves in the foot with loyalists though? Those of us with no (current) desire to faction hop have no real reason to buy cross-tech.

Your point about allowable mechs is interesting, what if certain factions could only run a small sampe of cross-tech (i.e. clans bordering with Kurita, could run a canon-Kurita mech chassis that was "recovered" and vice versa... It would be REALLY limiting on the IS side as there are fewer clan mechs, but that would add some logical access, even if it would mean tht Davion would hve to wait awhile before we'd get *any* clan mechs...

Well, in Canon, the Lyran Commonwealth and the Federated Suns are one nation at this point... So, everything the Steiners had, the Davions had.

That being said.... Eehhhhhhh.....

I want to use both of my mechs, too (once wave III hits I will, anyway) But, that's why I'm a Merc :P

I'd be happy to play clan mechs while fighting for the IS, but at the same time, it's MUCH easier right now to determine friend/foe at a glance. If you take that clan mech on an IS team, you have no right to whine when they friendly fire your arse :P It's also more interesting to have clearly defined sides than to have muddled tech.

It's a tough call, glad I don't have to make it.

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

It would not be different than normal games, Bue vs Red...

#6 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

Old topic. In short: no, only idiots would think this is a good idea. It breaks lore and it completely breaks the entire reason behind having CW in the first place.

Check the votes:

http://mwomercs.com/...age__p__4364487

#7 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

Tarogato,
Thanks for the link, I didn't check the CW forum before posting here, I see how most players who responded to that post voted against it so if that follows then I just save $115.

In your own words, that poster must have been an idiot too for suggesting it... oh wait...

Oh and btw that post is Old News, check this one out:
http://mwomercs.com/...ing-tech-in-cw/

I was essentially reposting since people were missing the point of what I was trying to say, plus, like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of players that wouldn't mind full access to their mechs when playing CW. So if you really want to call me an idiot, just remember, you had the same idea at one point so you must be one too by your own admission.

Edited by MovinTarget, 14 May 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 14 May 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

In your own words, that poster must have been an idiot too for suggesting it... oh wait...
... just remember, you had the same idea at one point so you must be one too by your own admission.

Actually, I posted that poll because I got into an ... err, "discussion" with somebody who believes that mixing tech is the right thing to do and that there are so many people that wish they could use the mechs they paid for in CW. So I created that poll to show him that indeed the case is quite the opposite - most people prefer it the way it is, because fundamentally CW is Clan vs. Innersphere, and people should have realised going into this that if they bought Clan mechs, they should have expected that they couldn't use them to play for the Innersphere. To make that mistake, quite frankly, is silly, because that's the way it's always been in Battletech as far as the present timeline goes and that's how people expected PGI to carry through with it.

I do apologise if I sounded degrading or unnecessarily coarse, that was a bit uncouth of me.

#9 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

yeah, I understand if you don't like the idea of it, but on the surface... for those that are not heavily into lore, I would hope that you can understand why the idea is at least worth discussing. And some would posit that since MWO is not "lore-pure" (like just about every other MW game ever) why not give the customers the most bang for the buck?

I did not play TT extensively, I drooled over the TRO's because I thought they were cool as a kid, the lore, the history not as critical to me...

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

I never played TT myself. MWO is what introduced me to lore in the first place. But let's be honest... if we let IS bring clantech and Clans bring IS-tech... in 3052... there would be a shjtstorm of global proportions. It would be as bad as when 3pv and coolshots were implemented - possibly worse. I think it would be a grave mistake to piss off that many people.

#11 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

I want to bring my Orion Protector to the Urbie Derby to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 14 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#12 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

That's the rub isn't it? Trying to make the Lore-folk happy *and* those who don't care 'bout it...

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:41 PM

Dunno about letting people use both Clan & IS under same account.
It would benefit IS, they get access to Timber, Dire and Crow for dropping, some Clan weapons they may want (Energy, Streaks), Targeting Computers.
Tough question is how do Clans benefit? PPFLD ACs though not much of that was used in Tukayyid so I guess not CW either, Light Mechs, uh, not much else?

Then think about what that does to the meta with everyone having access to everything, gets even more stale and lame with every person driving the same small number of Mechs & loadouts.

I could see the thing once asked for (topic is around somewhere) where you can have 2 different 'characters' linked to one account, one for IS and one for Clan, really no more need than 2. It is like those online RPGs that let you run more than one characters. DC Universe Online has Hero & Villain sides plus 3 of each type with slightly different content, at minimum you can have 2 characters for free so you can try each side from the same account.

#14 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

IS Assaults can offer a nice variety of game play, you can set them up to be a bit faster/slower depending on attack/defense yadda yadda yadda. Can drop with a DDC for added ECM for example...

The 2 character idea is the other option, though I admit, I'm a loyalist and I don't feel like I get to do CW enough for Davion (not that I'm awesome but Davion needs all the help it can get!) let alone for some clan unit as well.

I would almost prefer a "ronin" option where you could take a LP penalty and drop as a Merc wherever. Dunno if those mechanics would be any easier and I'm sure some units would have issues with it, but trying to keep up w/ 2 characters seems like it'd be too much work...

#15 Gladewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 464 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Each account should have a "clan pilot" and an "IS pilot".....just as is possible in every other faction based game I've seen.

#16 Fireeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

well to be honestly: it would be great to have something like 2 pilots : one is and one for clan so you could switch sides as you want : AND it would surely cut waiting times

#17 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

yes, people have both sides mechs. and they want to play with them all, in cw.

Should be optional.

#18 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:55 AM

The only way I see this becoming in any way a realistic option is if there was a way to "capture" opposing faction mechs.

The only way this could be done is if there was a tournament that granted a choice of IS or clan mech, and you select the opposite one, (CLAN if your IS or IS if your CLAN) and then that mech gains the "captured" tag.. that way, you would have worked enough to actually earn the priviledge of dropping it into cw..

BUT, even then, I would restrict dropping more than one such mech per drop deck, and I wold only allow it to be done by someone who has earned a particular rank in that faction (If you'r say, Clan warrior rank 5, you get to drop a captured IS mech).

Clans use captured IS mechs in Trials of Position, so this is ok with the Lore, and IS thinks ClanTech is OP, so it will always drop the most OP dishonorable monster it can, witch is also OK with the Lore..

#19 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

If populations stay as low as they have been, then just considering everyone "mercs" for a faction and letting them drop what they want to play is probably the best route to go.

It would sell more mechs and open the field up for the players that don't care all that much about the lore. It also wouldn't stop the guys that are lore only and want to only field IS mechs from fielding IS mechs.

Personally I do like some of the clan mechs, but if I had the option to run both my deck would be 3 IS mechs and maybe 1 clan. Really don't care about the lore myself and CW doesn't have anything to engage players to any real degree with nothing about that changing on the horizon, so if it sells mechs and funds more maps and mechs (the only things these devs seem interested in developing), I say why not let us have at it? Worst case is players don't like more options and it gets reverted because 'beta'.

#20 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

i think it should be mixed. The only thing should be maxed tonage per drop. (240 atm)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users