- - - - -

Control Scheme Issues

19 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

My biggest problem to date with this game is the inflexibility of the controls ( well from my point of view )

I use a trackball mouse and keyboard.

In the case of playing MW4: Mercenaries, my mouse controls my pitch up, pitch downm and left and right movement of my mech. the mouse buttons ( there are 4 ) control weapon groups firing.

My keyboard controls the various functions you would expect, but i use: W= forward, S= reverse, A= torso twist left, D= torso twist right.

The controls as they are currently are counter-intuitive to my style of control.

I can only speak for my problems with the control scheme, I really want to play this with my gaming group but it's hard to get used to how it is.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who will not understand this.

Anyway, I've had my say.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Well, I can see how this is a little different for you, but I think all you really need to do is spend some time in cockpit and you'll sort it out. Also, there is some flexibility to controls.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

Have you tried remapping keys? Not sure if you can change the scheme to fit your style or not.

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

Considering that the torso follows the arm reticule, how on earth do you aim?

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

Every game has a different control scheme. Adjust.

#6 maddog

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:41 PM

I Have tried remapping them, some easily done but there is no option to torso twist with the keyboard.

Actually Modo, i expected a half assed answer like this from someone who didn't want to assist anyone with anything less than a smart ass remark.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:59 PM

You are literally asking for the game engine to be rewritten to your needs. So yeah, half assed is all you are going to get.

#8 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:52 AM

A Trackball works just like a mechanical mouse that is inverted. I would guess all you need to do is to experiment with your mouse sensitivity up and down to tune it to your playstyle. Good Luck.

#9 maddog

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

As I said some functionality works fine small adjustments, sensitivity and the like.

The game is constantly rewritten, Modo, every time they do a patch or update. The point is that they could have taken the time and allowed for more flexibility in their game, before it was even in closed beta.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:48 PM

Sorry, but I'm with Modo on this one. I have played all of the MechWarrior games when they first came out and I've been playing this game for a very long time and on the forums for as long, and I have never seen a request like this before. Every time a new game would come out there were some things that were changed.

Furthermore, the game is definitely not rewritten every time they do a patch.

There are simply some things that cannot be done. This is one of them. The question for you then maddog is, are you willing to accept this challenge and these differences? It's really not that big of a deal, it just takes some getting used to.

#11 maddog

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Funny how some "things cannot be done" on this game, yet the previous developers of the older Mechwarrior games had the foresight to make things flexible for everyone.

#12 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

If you will be use keybord for torso twisting you will be lose game by game. Use only precise devise for twisting.

#13 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 05:23 AM

You can hold the W and F key down and drive with your mouse.

#14 C0y0tl45

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:03 AM

Don't bother listening to the modo dodo, it's the kind of player that likes to keep things as they are so that they can give snarky remarks.

People like him/her/it doesn't want others to be able to play what works for them, because they might get their asses handed to them.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

MWO was designed to use the mouse to aim the upper torso and the keyboard to move, and as far as I am aware there is no easy way to adjust to what you want.

the best way I can think to adjust it to the way you want would be to keep tapping the "center legs to torso" button, I do not recall what that is by default (having literaly never used it and remapped it long ago) but you can see what it is by going into key mappings, and it should be possible to set it to one of your mouse buttons and just keep it pressed, or even set up a macro to activate it a few times a second automaticaly.

however in the long term you would be better off learning the control scheme, it took me about 5 games to get used to it (after realising I could not effectivly use a Joystick for MWO), ultimately I do consider the mouse to aim keyboard to move to be better than the control scheme used by MW3 and MW4 (althouth I would still love to be able to effectively use my HOTAS for this).

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 03 April 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#16 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

That has got to be the strangest control setup I have ever heard of.

If you can make it work for you, more power to you, but I would recommend, as annoying as it is, relearning the controls. I generally run with arms locked to torso, but the ability to move them independently is occasionally incredibly important, and unless you have some other way, I don't see a way in your setup to unlock and move your arms...?

#17 Lorcryst NySell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 533 posts
  • LocationBetween Chair and Keyboard

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Nobody read the timestamp of the last post before today ...

The last answer from LMP was from MAY 2015 people !

#PostingInANecroThread

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostLorcryst NySell, on 03 April 2017 - 08:09 AM, said:

Nobody read the timestamp of the last post before today ...

The last answer from LMP was from MAY 2015 people !

#PostingInANecroThread

I have picked up on dozens of those in the last month, and finaly one got past me.

#19 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

doh. thread necro's workin' hard nowadays.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,708 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostKaethir, on 03 April 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

doh. thread necro's workin' hard nowadays.

Part of the issue is the forum's search settings. It shows the oldest first. I think they fired their webmaster a LONG time ago... if they ever had one.....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 April 2017 - 09:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users