Star Wars vs Star Trek vs Battle Tech Space Battles

1189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the Ultimate Winner? (700 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will come out on top?

1. Star Wars (154 votes [22.00%])

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

2. Star Trek (118 votes [16.86%])

Percentage of vote: 16.86%

3. Star Craft (9 votes [1.29%])

Percentage of vote: 1.29%

4. Battle Star Galactica (26 votes [3.71%])

Percentage of vote: 3.71%

5. Battle Tech (85 votes [12.14%])

Percentage of vote: 12.14%

6. Macross (32 votes [4.57%])

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

7. Gundam (24 votes [3.43%])

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

8. WarHammer40k (152 votes [21.71%])

Percentage of vote: 21.71%

9. Star Gate (12 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

10. EveOnline (53 votes [7.57%])

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

11. Battleship Yamato (10 votes [1.43%])

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

12. Legend of Galactic Heros (7 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

13. Halo (18 votes [2.57%])

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

Convert to Best space ship space battles or keep current format? Choices submissions Extended to 2/11/12

1. Convert to only space ship naval battles, ignoring civ other traits. (116 votes [25.05%])

Percentage of vote: 25.05%

2. Keep current format, full universe as deciding factor. (347 votes [74.95%])

Percentage of vote: 74.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#341 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostGaussDragon, on 09 January 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

I see your Imperium fishing trawler, and raise you a Voth City Ship. Here's the Voyager just casually sitting inside its roomy hull.

I could raise an Eldar Craftworld? But yes, the Voth Cityship is big. Its a shame we never find out more about them, or if they have more than one of those ships.

I'm not a science guy. My interests lie in other disciplines, but I think it might be interesting to see someone of a more mathematical bent figure out the possible yields for the 40k nova cannon. A 50 meter long object fired at relativistic speeds? The fluff states that the projectile tries to implode on itself, causing the release of energy and subsequent explosion.

And the Adeptus Mechanicus is a seperate power. The Imperium of Man is actually only in direct control of those assets managed by the Administratum. That means that while the Mechanicus, Inquisition, and Adeptus Astartes are allied with the Imperium (the master of the Mechanicus even serving as a High Lord of Terra) they are technically seperate entities. The Mechanicus controls whole worlds (forge worlds) and and maintain their own Titan and Skitarii legions for their defense. The Inquisition is actually almost completely autonomous, having what amounts to limitless influence (at least officially). The Astartes establish their own private alliances (and wars) with the Mechanicus and Inquisition, and administer to their own domains (Ultramar would be the extreme example of this, but there are instances involving the Space Wolves and others where Astartes refused to submit to the authority of Terra on various matters and used force to maintain their independence without being condemned as heretics).

Also, its really important to note that the Mechanicus holds a nearly total monopoly on technology in the Imperium. While regular Imperial citizens might encounter advanced technology on a daily basis (they might even have enough working knowledge to handle repairs and basic maintainence of the more simple technology around them), its nothing compared to what the Mechanicus keeps for itself. Even relatively minor Mechanicus acolytes will recieve upgrades which allow them to interact with the world around them and their peers and superiors on a purely artificial plane, information being interposed in a 3D system over everything they see (as well as their regular senses being significantly improved in many cases). Their brains are also modified to process and understand information at the same speed as a computer, allowing them to think and speak at speeds far beyond anything we can handle (they actually speak to each other in bursts of computer code). Mechanicus ships are also far beyond anything the regular Imperial Navy has, but unfortunately we don't have (as far as I know) any hard facts about Mechanicus ships and capabilities (beyond what you can find in the Battle Fleet Gothic PDF file for the Mechanicus fleet). The Mechanicus isn't stagnant either. While one of their primary goals is to rediscover STC tech, they also develop new technology. The problem is that the Imperium is so big, implementing new technology outside of a few select worlds is incredibly time-consuming and expensive, and the Mechanicus prefers to keep the good stuff for themselves anyway. That problem, and the fact that the Mechanicus allows for no innovation outside of their order, makes most technological innovation very slow (especially in comparison to Trek, where most new development takes place within the structure of a 30 minute show...lol). Why are Lemun Russ MBTs tracked vehicles? Because they get a big gun (or several big guns) into combat on a time-tested platform that needs minimum maintainence and can be easily produced en masse. "If it worked 5,000 years ago it will work today," is pretty much the name of the game.

That said, Mechanicus tech isn't even close to what the Necrons have. Necron weapons (according to the fluff) literally cut atoms apart, destroying matter at the atomic level (probably not all that different from Trek phasers?). Necrons also make use of an FTL technology which allows them to travel at speeds comparable to other advanced species, but without entering the Warp or the Webway.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 10 January 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#342 AmazingBilldo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

had to go with eve online myself......

#343 Gustaf Brackman

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Well Jack technically the discussion was more about Imperial Navy vs the Federation Fleet. that's why no one included Necrons, Eldar or Mechanicus(since as you and I have already said they are a different empire) or any other WH40K fleet.

#344 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostGustaf Brackman, on 09 January 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

From what I read most of that was just wild guessing.

NO.. they wouldn't be guessing about the ability of fictional weapons in fictional universes.. :lol:

#345 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostGustaf Brackman, on 10 January 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well Jack technically the discussion was more about Imperial Navy vs the Federation Fleet. that's why no one included Necrons, Eldar or Mechanicus(since as you and I have already said they are a different empire) or any other WH40K fleet.

True, but others have mentioned Romulan and Klingon ships. Both Romulans and Klingons are part of Trek without being part of the Federation. There's also the Dominion, with one of the only ship classes in Trek of a size comparable to 40k ships or Star Wars' Super Star Destroyer. 40k species have also been brought up before. Technically, 40k encompasses a wide range of species, each with its own unique technology and motivations (sometimes several branches of technology and competing motivations). Also, I think its fair to use the other species even if its only in context to their interactions with the Imperium. For example, if we assume that the Necrons are on equal footing with Trek technologies (not saying they are-only using as an example), and if the Imperial Navy can beat the Necron fleet (in the old days of Battlefleet Gothic they really couldn't, Necrons rolled over everything except Eldar...unless the Imperial fleet went torpedo heavy and got some crazy lucky rolls) then it might be a reasonable extrapolation that the Imperium could fight the Federation.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 10 January 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#346 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostJack Gammel, on 10 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

For example, if we assume that the Necrons are on equal footing with Trek technologies (not saying they are-only using as an example), and if the Imperial Navy can beat the Necron fleet (in the old days of Battlefleet Gothic they really couldn't, Necrons rolled over everything except Eldar...unless the Imperial fleet went torpedo heavy and got some crazy lucky rolls) then it might be a reasonable extrapolation that the Imperium could fight the Federation.

That's not really bringing other races in though; it's just using an extrapolation to compare the UFP and Imperium in a slightly different way, and it's a good thing to do.

Any analysis of any kind, and this goes far beyond vs debates, will always have to make some assumptions to get by. That's why in science, hypotheses are tested by taking multiple methods, that all have different assumptions going into them, and then they're tested for consistency. So if you wanted to, say, get some idea of how powerful Trek shipboard phasers are, you could refer to TM figures, examine observed instances of destruction, look at how powerful torpedoes are (since it's not unreasonable to assume rough parity of effectiveness between phasers and photorps), or even look at the best power outputs for hand phasers if you had a good idea there (which we do, again from multiple, slightly differing methods) and then try to scale up that power to shipboard weapon size. Three out of four of those methods would give you fairly similar numbers, which could lend strong support to a hypothesis.

Likewise, you're citing a different set of assumptions here, which would make it a good check on whether a previously used method of analysis was valid.

As for actually bringing in other races into consideration in any potential fight, the scenario could be played a few different ways. Is it just an in-a-vacuum battle between the UFP and Imperium? The Imperium vs the UFP and the allies who would certainly join a war? Would it be a scenario where the Imperium would just seek total galactic domination, and have to fight everyone? Would you include any potential allies for the Imperium?

There's no reason why these can't enter consideration.

#347 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Concerning EVE, which I will admittedly have never played...

I just went searching through the official website. The power output on these ships seems pretty poor by far-future standards. Shuttles and cargo ships are nothing more then 25MW. The frigates seem to generate no more then 400MW. Battlecruisers capping around 1GW. The most powerful ship (from what I see) generates 1TW which I suppose is acceptable.

I've heard that it "beats" Star Trek a few times, and I obviously have little idea of what I'm talking about here, so can somebody explain what makes the universe so, er, powerful?

Edited by Zakatak, 10 January 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#348 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

View Postilithi dragon, on 09 January 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Torpedoes, being guided ordnance, naturally have longer effective ranges, despite higher travel times to target. Standard Federation photon torpedoes have a maximum sublight speed of ~0.75c, though they rarely have time to reach that velocity at typical Trek engagement ranges (torpedoes fired at FTL naturally maintain their warp velocity until they reach their target or their warp-sustainer coils run out). In TNG "The Wounded" the torpedoes on the USS Phoenix were stated as having a maximum range of ~300,000km, though this is not consistent with other observed and stated ranges. Either these were non-standard torpedoes, or the circumstances of the battle limited the Phoenix's maximum range, as Catamount previously noted. The standard range for the photon torpedoes in the 2360s, as stated in the TNG:TM, is ~4.5 million km, and as Catamount also noted, the standard range for photon torpedoes used by USS Voyager was 8 million km. In VOY "Basics, Pt. 1" we see Kazon torpedoes fired at Voyager while Voyager is approaching at maximum warp. At bare minimum, if Voyager was traveling at Warp 1 / lightspeed, the time between first impact and Voyager's arrival puts the range at 4.5 million km bending-over-backwards-and-snapping-your-spine bare minimum range. Given that Paris stated Warp 9.9 to be "four billion miles per second," or about 21,400c in VOY "The '37s", and that Voyager's maximum sustainable cruiser is Warp 9.975, the actual range could well have been 96.3 billion kilometers, or about 1 AU (and Voyager would have had no reason to slow down on approach, and thus prolong the Kazon bombardment period). Now, those are not Federation torpedoes, but the Kazon are vastly out-teched by the Federation, so if pushed to, the Federation could easily field a torpedo with sublight ranges on the order of several light-minutes or more.

:rolleyes:

Firstly, 1 AU is equal to 92,955,807.3 miles, or 149,597,870.7 kilometers (or, to put it another way, ~8.317 light-minutes - the lower end of the High Guard's maximum missile ranges of 8-10 light minutes), so the statement "96.3 billion kilometers, or about 1 AU" is very far off.

Secondly, the Memory Alpha article on warp factors states that warp 9.9 (implied to be 9.900) represents an average speed of 21,473c (derived from "The 37's"), while warp 9.975 represents an average speed of only 1,554 - 1,721c (derived from "Relativity" and "Friendship One").
In fact, I'm not the only one who noticed that there is something very... odd (to say the least!) with this figure:

Amelia asks how fast Voyager can go; Tom Paris says "Warp 9.9, which works out to about four billion miles per second"--making warp 9.9 about 21505 times faster than the speed of light. Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but there are two problems, one minor and one significant. The first is, in the pilot episode "Caretaker," we were told that Voyager was capable of a top speed of Warp 9.975, which would make the ship even faster than that. I can accept that Paris was simply rounding down.

What bothers me is that, if you do the math, Voyager is 70,000 lightyears away from home. If light travels one lightyear in a year at the speed of light, then at warp 9.9, they'll travel 21,505 lightyears in the same amount of time. That works out to three years, not seventy. And that's not even traveling at maximum warp.

I'm simply speculating here, and I'm sure I'm missing something--like the ship can't travel that fast all the time or it'd blow up or something, or that Paris was exaggerating, the little puke. But at least theoretically, at 4 billion miles per second they could be home in less time than the original Enterprise five year mission took, and Kes would only be in her middle age. By giving a concrete number, they're begging the people with too much time on their hands to Do The Math, and that's dangerous. Maybe most people don't care, but somebody's got to.

Also, from MA:

Although formulas to calculate speeds from warp factors existed in the writer's guides, these were not always used consistently. As an example, in "By Any Other Name" the Kelvans modified the USS Enterprise to accelerate to a speed of warp 11 in order to safely cross the galactic barrier. If this was also meant to represent the velocity of travel to the Andromeda Galaxy, a travel time of 300 years would indicate a far greater speed than the scale would allow.

As evidenced in the chart of onscreen data, actual speeds represented by a warp factor have not always been kept consistent throughout every Star Trek incarnation. Warp 8.4 would appear to be much faster than warp 9.9 or even warp 11. In fact, given the cited speed of warp 8.4, the Voyager crew (having some 70,000 light years to travel) should have made it home in approximately 33 days, not 75 years. And at Warp 9.9, at the above cited speed, Voyager should have been able to reach home in a little over 3 years.

To explain the apparent discontinuity of the canonical warp factor speeds, background sources have given several explanations. Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual states the actual speed values of a warp factor are dependent upon interstellar conditions, for example gas density, electric and magnetic fields in different regions of the galaxy, and fluctuations of the subspace domain. Also quantum drag forces and motive power oscillation cause energy penalties to a ship using warp drive. (pg.55)

-----

Also: what examples are there of a Federation ship still in warp actually firing at a target (another ship, an asteroid, or anything else) that is not in warp?
I noticed that the famed "Picard Maneuver" calls for the attacking ship to drop out of warp before firing at the target:

During the engagement which came to be known as the Battle of Maxia, the Stargazer, which was holding station several million kilometers away from its adversary, suddenly accelerated to warp 9 directly towards the Ferengi ship. Because the enemy was only equipped with light speed sensors, they had no way of knowing that the Stargazer had moved until it was too late. When the light from the newly-moved ship reached the Ferengi ship's sensors, the light from its previous position was still arriving, so the Ferengi saw two Stargazers. Even if they had figured out that the new image was the genuine one in time, it would have been too late, as the Stargazer opened fire as soon as it dropped out of warp, and the Ferengi ship had no time to maneuver out of the way before the phasers and photon torpedoes hit. The Ferengi ship was destroyed. This technique was so successful that it was named after Picard, and there was no known defense against it until 2364.

Essentially, they closed the distance (to effectively point-blank?) and attacked before the other ship could respond, while also taking advantage of the optical illusion.

In "Divergence":

Thirty minutes from a rendezvous with Columbia NX-02, Reed notes that the transporter won't operate at warp, so he'll have to transfer Tucker while at warp speed. As the Klingon watches, Reed explains that he transferred personnel at warp speed one and after several simulations; but they have little choice. T'Pol is working on calculations to merge the warp fields of both Enterprise and Columbia, but the ships have to be less than fifty meters apart.

Since warp drives "generate warp fields to form a subspace bubble that envelops the starship, distorting the local spacetime continuum immediately around the ship and moving the starship at velocities that exceeded the speed of light" and these warp fields evidently present at least some difficulty as far as allowing matter and/or energy through (either into or out of; as seen in "Divergence"), are they able to open holes in the warp field to allow direct-fire weapons (phasers) through (as I assume allowing warp-driven torpedoes to be fired through the attacking ship's warp field and/or through the target ship's warp field would require the same type of work needed to merge the warp fields of two ships)?

-----

Also, as far as the "Basics, Pt. 1" example, it sounds like a variant of the classic "train problem": if the torpedo is moving along one vector at velocity "X" and Voyager is starting from some distance "d0" from the firing ship and moving along an intersecting vector (or perhaps even the same vector?) in the opposite direction at velocity "Y" (where it is most likely the case that Y >> X), where (that is, what distance "d1" from the ship firing the torpedo) do they meet?

We know that, with regard to the velocity of photon torpedoes:
"The propulsion system of the torpedoes is a warp sustainer engine. The engine coils of the torpedo grab and hold a hand-off field from the launcher tube's sequential field induction coils. A miniature matter/antimatter fuel cell adds power to the hand-off field. When launched in warp flight, torpedo will continue to travel at warp, when launched at sublight, torpedo will travel at a high sublight speed, but will not cross the warp threshold." (Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, pg. 129)
"Torpedoes will obtain a high sublight speed when launched from a stationary launch platform. They are still effective against close-in threat vessels." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, page unknown)

"The fact that a class 8 probe was supposedly launched by a starbase at warp speeds in "The Emissary" might be inconsistent with the statement that photon torpedoes can't reach warp speed if launched from a stationary or a sublight platform."
"They later rendezvous with the emissary's shuttle, a specially-converted probe capable of transporting one person at warp 9."

So, we know (or can reasonably assume) that Y = warp 9.975 (Voyager's stated maximum speed, equal to 1,721c or 5.16x10^11m/s), X < 0.99c ("high sublight speed, but will not cross the warp threshold", assuming these Kazon were not at warp when firing at Voyager), and d1 is still likely on the order of 8 million kilometers (the stated maximum range of a photon torpedo at Voyager's time; equal to ~0.45 light-minutes, or 0.053 AU) at most... though, it could be shorter if these Kazon have tech that much inferior to Voyager's or longer if the torpedo was fired while the Kazon were already in warp (as X could then be in excess of 1.0c)

Assuming a non-warp firing and a torpedo flight time of ~30 seconds (0.45 light-minutes at c would equate to a 27-second flight time), Voyager could have started at ~ 1.55x10^13 meters (~861.71 light-minutes, or ~103.61 AU) away and closed to 8 million km if moving at maximum warp... which would imply that even a "low-tech" ST society would have very long-range sensors (in order to let them detect Voyager at that distance and compute a firing solution).

-----

So, basically, the Federation has sensor ranges that far out-strip their weapons ranges (and the assumed sensor ranges of High Guard ships), while the High Guard's weapons generally far-outrange those of the Federation.
Also, is there some evidence to suggest that the Federation, with the sensors available to it in the 2370s could locate and/or track High Guard ships while they are in slipstream (effectively in another dimension)?

(Also, I'll try to address the rest of the "megapost", but it may take a while and need to be done in chunks... :lol:)

Edited by Strum Wealh, 10 January 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#349 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

EVE is an weird franchise.

They have M/AM technology, and even warheads, so they should be absurdly powerful, yet the power output figures don't match a M/AM capable civilization (M/AM basically being the top end of any real-science power generation). I mean, those outputs are SO small, those ships could achieve them with diesel engines! At least, they could for the lower-end figures.

FTL-wise, their ship-board FTL is kind of mediocre, slow even by TNG Trek standards (and until Trek masters slipstream tech, which there seems to be a race on by end-Voyager, they're really not that fast compared to many franchises). That said, they have Mass-Effect style jump gates that are absolutely top-end.

Like I said, it's a weird franchise, full of constant self contradictions (though their explanation for FTL is hillarious, iirc, they basically make space that's less resistant to travel than a vacuum, so you go faster! :lol:)

Edited by Catamount, 10 January 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#350 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 09 January 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

I want back and looked - I did indeed miss the longer range reference, that's my fault.

(Also, it's "Wealh" with no "t"; it's an old Celtic(/Proto-Germanic) word meaning "foreigner" and one of the etymoogical roots of my surname. :lol:)

Also, for ST yields, we have:

So, the yield for ST weapons is given only in "isotons", rather than in a standard unit? :D
What kind of energies are we talking about - megaton range or gigaton range?

Also, I too did some thinking on FTL combat - something I'll address later in this post...

Well, I had a nice post that just went away because Firefox crashed... (first time that's happened in a while). } : = 8 ( But here's the two-part post I wrote up to replace it:

In brief, Trek firepower yields tend to be in the range of high-TeraJoule to low-ExaJoule range, for conventional weapons. That's a pretty broad range, to be sure, though bear in mind that most of the low-TeraJoule range weapons are very old and usually fire more than one gun at a time (and even on most older ships, the old ball-turret style phasers have almost certainly been upgraded from single-emitter designs to multiple-emitter designs by the TNG era, so only the oldest/smallest/least-upgraded ships, and shuttles and the like, would have weapons with yields in those ranges). Typical weapon yields are in the mid-PetaJoule range, with smaller guns in the low-PetaJoule range and bigger guns in the high-PetaJoule range (and some really big guns breaching into the ExaJoule range). Ship sustained outputs are likely in the mid/high-PetaJoule range, and big salvoes (opening salvoes and the like) would be in the mid-PetaJoule to low-ExaJoule range, depending on ship size and age.

In terms of explosive yield, that's hundreds of kilotons for the lightest weapons, to a few gigatons for the biggest weapons and heaviest salvoes.

Trek shield/hull endurance would generally fall into the low-ExaJoule range, though smaller / older ships would fall into the mid/high-PetaJoule range.

It's also worth noting that Trek phasers and disruptors would likely have considerably higher effective yields against non-Trek targets, because of the amplifying effect of their NDF effect. Effective yields can easily go up a couple orders of magnitude or more against targets not hardened against the NDF effect.

I included what information I could find regarding the ROF for the Andromeda's various weapon types in my previous post:
"I don't know the actual ROF of the AP cannons, but the graphic from the wiki shows several individual bolts in close proximity, so we can not-unreasonably assume that it is fairly high.
XMCs have 12 AP cannons.

That sounds reasonable - I would expect those types of weapons to have a high RoF. I also suspect that I underestimated their effective yields. If fired at compressed density, the shots would disperse a fair amount over distance, making them more of a blob than a pulse at long ranges, though the total mass of the shot would not decrease, just its concentration, though there is an upper limit to how massive they can be. They could easily be an order of magnitude or two above the 80 TJ per pulse I originally estimated.

Likewise, I do not know the official ROF for the point-defense lasers (35-50 MW range (high end for an XMC), range of 4 light minutes), but the graphic from the wiki shows that it is fairly high.
XMCs have 12 PDLs.

Actually, we already have the maximum possible output of those lasers, 35-50 MegaWatts, if they just turned them on and left them on as continuous beams. The fact that they don't fire as continuous beams, but instead as pulses would put their actual sustained outputs to be notably less than that. These would be completely useless against even Trek shuttlecraft, and given other stated and estimated yields and outputs, I would be very surprised if they were useful as anything other than an AMS weapon in Andromeda.

It is worth noting, however, that they would also be useless as an AMS weapon against Trek torpedoes, which are shielded to withstand moderate- to high-powered phaser and disruptor shots. So XMC point-defenses would not be able to stop any Trek torpedoes from reaching the ship.

The ELS have a stated ROF of 8 missiles per second, and the XMCs have 40 ELS launchers - a total ROF of 19,200 missiles per minute."

So, unfortunately, I do not know the canon ROF for either of the XMC energy weapons (though, from the linked gif, I would place the ROF of the PDLs at around 8-10 salvos per second).
We do know, however, that an XMC can launch a lot of missiles very quickly...

That is quite a few missiles... Now, I highly doubt that the Glorious Heritage class can sustain that maximum RoF for any notable length of time (ships can only carry so much ordnance at a time, after all), but still... That's a lot of missiles. By Comparison, Trek salvoes from single ships peak at a few dozen torpedoes for the most torp-heavy ships (the Galaxy can fire a maximum of 60 torpedoes from all launchers, the Nebula with the torpedo pod 50-60, the Nemesis-refit Sovereign 29, the Akira with a torpedo pod at 50, the New Orleans with three torpedo pods 30, the Steamrunner 20), with most cruisers typically being able to fire about a dozen or so torpedoes from all launchers, and most destroyers about half-a-dozen, with small frigates and out-dated ships like the Miranda able to fire 1-4 torpedoes from all launchers. RoF per minute would fall into the 10-180 torpedo range, depending on the ship.

Now, Trek torpedoes are a bit more powerful than Andromeda missiles - the M/AM payload of the older TNG-era photon torpedoes is approximately equal to the kinetic energy of an Andromeda missile, though this would be magnified up to 1.5 times by the Lorentz factor of their maximum sublight velocity (0.75c). Late-TNG photon torpedoes are 1.5 times more powerful than a single Andromeda missile in M/AM payload alone, and Quantum torpedoes are 6 times more powerful in payload alone (and most of that payload appears to be delivered to the target, 'shaped' by the torpedoes shields). That alone will partly make up for the RoF difference, though not by 2-3 orders of magnitude (at most one, if every Trek ship is equipped with Quantum torpedoes). More significantly, however, is the fact that Trek torpedoes are shielded, unlike Andromeda missiles, enough that they would be effectively invulnerable to Andromeda point-defenses, where as Trek ships, particularly newer Federation ships, would be able to shout down swaths of Andromeda missiles. Newer Federation ships especially, with their multi-emitter phaser arrays, would be able to shoot down dozens to hundreds of Andromeda missiles at a time (depending on the ship and the array, a phaser array can have dozens to thousands of emitters). Even at lower rates of fire, the XMC would probably be able to overwhelm the defenses of any single new Federation frigate or destroyer, or any of the Federation's older designs that still use the old ball-turret style phasers, and most of the ships of the other powers (disruptors only come in fixed- and turreted cannons, not faceted emitter arrays, so the are limited in how many small targets they can fire on at once, and how accurately they can do so, but they are generally simpler, and more powerful than their phaser counterparts), but the newer Federation cruisers and capital ships, with their big arrays, would be able to swat down dozens to hundreds of missiles at a time. If the XMC can sustain its RoF for any notable amount of time, I would expect that it could overwhelm even the newer Federation Light Cruisers, but very few missiles would slip past the phaser point-defense of the newer Federation Heavy Cruisers and Capital Ships (they can fire out to 2-300,000km with a fair degree of accuracy, and they can target in real-time with FTL sensors and prepare to fire well beyond that range).

Another important point to consider is how Trek and Andromeda sublight maneuverability and acceleration compares. Trek can reach accelerations up to a few thousand kilometers per second squared. If that is sufficiently high enough above the XMC's acceleration capabilities, Trek ships could close to short range fairly quickly, enduring only a brief bombardment period before they closed to too short a range for the XMCs missiles to be effective (presumably they have a minimum effective range required for post-launch acceleration). Though that really depends on the XMCs sublight acceleration capabilities.

How well can an XMC endure one of its own missiles? Are they kill-it-with-a-plague-of-locusts weapon or are AMS generally strong enough that swarms of are required to get just a few devastating missiles through?

Unfortunately, the only canon number I've got readily available is the one regarding the sensor resolution.

Also, we know that the range is short enough that the Andromeda can be followed by another ship in real-space (the Balance of Judgement; see "Star-Crossed") as well as stealthily follow another ship in real-space (the Eureka Maru; see "Soon the Nearing Vortex").

However, I would think it not unreasonable that the sensor range (not including use of sensor drones or communications with other ships) is at least equal to the maximum range of the maximum weapons range - approximately 8-10 light minutes.
I would also expect the sensors to have a very rapid "refresh rate"; this becomes another important factor in a moment... :rolleyes:

As such, I would concede that ST likely has the advantage in overall sensor range... at least, in real-space.

From the sounds of it, Trek enjoys an obscene advantage over Andromeda in realspace sensor ranges. Several lightyears compared to a few dozen lightminutes.

Another important point to consider is whether or not Andromeda has any kind of FTL sensor capability in realspace. If not, that's another major advantage Trek has, though it's up in the air as far as I can tell (which isn't much).

Which leads to the question: how good are Federation sensors across dimensions?
That is, ships in warp are still in real-space (as opposed to a side dimension, a "true hyperspace"), and thus could be detected with relative ease (by looking for pockets of distorted space).
By contrast, slipstream is such a side-dimension ("Slipstream is an extension of our reality, an additional dimension that's integrally intertwined with our own."), and a slipstream-capable ship would need to be able to see both slipstream and real-space (to avoid opening an exiting slip-point inside of a star, for example), necessitating both cross-dimension scanning and a rapid refresh rate on sensor data.
So, in theory a High Guard ship could see a Federation ship coming, even in warp (just in case the Federation ship in question were going to try something like the Picard Maneuver), as well as target and track said Federation ship from slipstream (assuming it's in range, of course).
But, would a Federation ship be able to see/track a High Guard ship while it's in slipstream, or would it have to wait for said High Guard ship to exit slipstream (and thus pick up the exit slip-point or the ship itself)? If not, would Federation ships have to worry about High Guard ships executing their own variant of the Picard Maneuver? :P

Generally, it would seem that Trek ships can be seen by conventional ElectroMagnetic Radiation detectors while at warp. Their EM emissions are probably stretched and distorted and scrambled to some degree by their warp field, but at the very least, the EMR sensors on the XMCs should be able to see a Trek ship at warp, and get some kind of measurement of the emissions strength, however distorted that may be (resolution beyond that is hard to say). So they should at least be able to see a Trek ship in FTL, and get some idea of what kind of ship it is. How useful that would be would greatly depend on whether or not they have any kind of FTL sensor capabilities of their own while in realspace themselves. If not, then they wouldn't be able to detect the Trek ship until after it had already flown past them.

As for detecting things in slipstream... Slipstream sounds to be more or less the same thing as what Trek calls subspace, close enough to consider it to be the same thing. The ability of Trek sensors to detect things in subspace generally tends more towards hit than miss, especially when it comes to energitc and/or moving objects, especially later in the TNG era. Some things they have trouble detecting, like the Transwarp Conduit the E-D stumbled across in TNG "Descent", though that was a more or less stationary object not really doing much of anything except when triggered. Trek sensors can routinely detect and catalogue subspace anomalies, even at notable ranges (at least in areas they have decent sensor coverage of). I would say that it's fairly likely that Trek ships would be able to at least detect and track Andromeda ships at warp, and possibly get some idea of the power outputs of the ship based on the subspace/slipstream distortion, so much like Andromeda ships tracking Trek ships at FTL, Trek ships can probably see them and get some idea of what kind of ship, but not necessarily much more than that.

Presumably, Andromeda ships have SOME kind of FTL sensing capability, since they would need it while traveling at FTL. Do we have any idea of what capabilities these FTL sensors have? Are they even able to be used in realspace, or are they limited to slipspace usage?

I was emphasizing depopulation of a planet to differentiate "planetary depopulation" {orbital bombardment, to the point of a.) eliminating nearly all lifeforms on the planet in question as a direct result of the bombardment itself rather than its after-effects and b.) severely compromising or outright destroying the biosphere, such that anything not killed by the bombardment would find it very difficult to survive for very long thereafter} from "planetary destruction" (compromising the physical integrity of a planet to the point where it can no longer maintain hydrostatic equilibrium).

It apparently takes a single volley from 20 Federation ships to devastate and (most likely) depopulate (but not destroy) a planet.
Did all 20 ships have to fire at one point, or was their fire spread (more-or-less evenly) across the planet's surface? How big was this planet?
Will 20 volleys from a single Federation ship have the same effect? And how long would it take for a single Federation ship to deliver 20 volleys from the necessary weapon systems?

By contrast, a single XMC - one High Guard ship - seeking to completely depopulate a presumably Earth-sized planet can do so in two minutes with its normal offensive armament...

Well, I doubt a single Trek ship can match the sheer salvo strength of an XMC, with its 19,000+ missiles-per-minute, so a single XMC can probably achieve a faster rate of depopulation purely because it can go ZOMGLOLMISSILES and pepper a planet with hundreds or thousands of Tsar Bombas all across its surface. Trek ships can't match that kind of weapon spread, not even a Galaxy or Negh'Var. I do expect that a Trek ship can significantly exceed the sustained output of an XMC against a planet, however. Against unshielded planetary targets, which by nature cannot be hardened against NDF effects, Trek effective weapons yields for capital ships can easily jump into the ZetaJoule range. They won't be able to spread that kind of firepower all around the planet all at once, but they're hitting single locations with giga- to teratons worth of effective yield, per shot. The XMC can certainly spread that kind of firepower all across a planet in a very short period of time, thanks to its ZOMGLOLMISSILE swarm, something that single Trek ships can't match, but single Trek ships can hit still hit with that much firepower in concentrated areas, and maintain that firepower output.

In short, an XMC can spread its firepower across a planet much faster and much more easily than any single Trek ship, but most Trek ships can maintain that firepower level over a long period of time, and achieve more overall destruction.

I would think that that depends on the actual numerical disparity - a 5-on-1 advantage probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, while 50-on-1 most likely would...

I think it really depends on the specific ships engaging the XMC than anything else. A single XMC could probably easily take out several Excelsiors and Mirandas in very short order, just with it's ZOMGLOLMISSILE swarm ability (even if it can only sustain it for a minute). However, I would expect a single Galaxy or Nebula class to be able to put up at least a solid match for the XMC. That ultimately depends on how many missiles the ship carries, and how long it can maintain its ZOMGMISSILE swarm ability, and how quickly the Trek ships could close to phaser range.

Hence my focus on the pre-Fall High Guard: for most of the series (set ~300 years after the fall of the Commonwealth), the Andromeda herself effectively is the High Guard fleet, and I'm quite certain that, in the vast majority of instances, one ship - even one as formidable as the Andromeda Ascendant - cannot expect to take on all of Starfleet and emerge victorious.

Prior to the TNG era and the advent of the phaser array and SIF field, it just might have been able to. Partly because Starfleet was smaller in the 2200s/early 2300s, and partly because the XMC's ZOMGLOLMISSILE swarm would have ripped through fleets of Trek ships. With only ball-turret defenses, and without the Structural Integrity Fields that crompise so much of 24th Century Trek hull resistance (and weaker shields and weapons in general, to boot), any Trek fleet that could not close to short range and stay there would be ripped apart by the XMC's missiles. A large enough fleet could probably put up enough point-defense to stave off the missile swarm, but Starfleet was very dispersed back then and fleet sizes large enough to challenge an XMC with TMP-era ships (when the Type-A and Type-B Excelsiors were the biggest and badest ships in Starfleet) were not heard of until the Dominion War (especially since a good chunk of the fleet would have still been made up of TOS- and Pre-TOS-era ships).

Now, if a Trek ship could survive long enough to close into phaser range of the XMC, it may well be able to do significant damage, and if it could close to within transporter range and survive long enough to beam a torpedo into the XMC's reactor room, that would be the end of it, but it would not be something easy for Trek ships to do, not at sublight, anyway. If they engaged the XMC at warp speed, however, they would likely still be able to win, if the XMC stayed around to take the pounding.

TOS is the earliest that the Federation could have any realistic hope of defeating a single XMC class, and then only if the engaged it exclusively at FTL (and the XMC stayed around to take the pounding). Pre-TOS the ships are too weak and too few in number to be able to pose a serious threat to an XMC.

As for the Commonwealth's "mainstay ships", I assume you mean their most common combat-capable ship? That would seem to be the Righteous Fist of Heaven class "Deep Stand-off Attack Ship I" (together with the Pride of Kaldera class "Group Defense Frigate").
The XMCs and the Siege Perilous class "Deep Stand-off Attack Ship II" (the successor to the RFoH class) were relatively new designs, and so would not have been too numerous.

Interesting... From the looks of their missile armaments, it seems that anti-missile defenses are very significant, such that large swarms of missiles are required to get a few to penetrate... That puts the XMC's ZOMGLOLMISSILE swarm ability into a bit more reasonable perspective, especially given the listed yields for a number of their other weapons. That ZOMGLOLMISSILE swarm would be very brutal against Trek ships, which have insignificant anti-missile defenses because their torpedoes are shielded heavily enough to make them effectively impossible, or so impractical as to make it not worth attempting in most circumstances. Newer Federation ships would be able to hold out fairly well against them (and depending on how densely they cluster together, photon torpedoes might be useful in clearing out swaths of them in area-effect detonations), but all but the bigger and newer Federation cruisers and capital ships would be overwhelmed by them in single-ship combat (if engaged at sublight), and even a Galaxy or Nebula class would be hard-pressed to fend off the missile salvoes of a Siege Perilous class while engaging at sublight. They would probably be much easier to defeat at close range, however.

#351 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

What are the Starfleet equivalents for each of the above named ship types?

The Starfleet equivalent to the Glorious Heritage class would be the Galaxy and Nebula class "Battleships." These are Starfleet's newest and most powerful capital ships, and the two most powerful classes in the fleet. The Galaxy is roughly 5.3 million cubic meters in volume and masses at ~10 million metric tons. The Nebula is effectively the same size as the Galaxy, though is probably a hair less massive. They are sister ships, with the Nebula being the cheaper, off-the-shelf-technology version and the Galaxy being the slightly newer, more expensive, bleeding-edge-technology version.

Starfleet has two other capital ships in service in the 2370s, the Niagara class, launched in 2349 (a lack-luster design that was an unimpressive improvement launched shortly before several significant leaps forward in technology, necessitating it's replacement with the Nebula and Galaxy only half a generation after its launch), which measures in at ~3.2 million m^3, and the Ambassador class, launched in 2323 and measuring in at ~2.8 million m^3 (the generational predecessor to the Niagara, though not that significantly less performing than the Niagara outside of warp speed after contemporary upgrades/refits). Both will probably be re-rated to Heavy Cruiser by the 2380s.

In the borderline between cruisers and capital ships, Starfleet has the new Sovereign class. Officially a Heavy Cruiser, the Sovereign is really better rated as a Large Cruiser, measuring in at 2.4 million m^3 in volume (half-way between a Heavy Cruiser and a Battlecruiser - too big and powerful to be the former but not big and powerful enough to really be the latter - see the Alaska class Large Cruiser built at the end of WWII), and is the new premier cruiser and mainstay of the fleet, the second fastest ship in the fleet, and the pinnacle of the new cruiser program, directly replacing the aging Excelsior as the iconic ship of the fleet and face of the Federation.

The Akira class, at 1.6 million m^3, is a new Heavy Cruiser launched circa 2367, and is the largest proper Heavy Cruiser in the fleet. In combat operations, it has a very torpedo-heavy armament, capable of mounting a torpedo pod loaded with three single-fire launchers and two "lazy susan" style launchers, one with 15 tubes and one with 20 tubes, on top of the 2 burst-fire-4 and 4 single-fire launchers the base Akira carries. The Akira is one of two ships that are probably the closest Starfleet has to a direct counterpart to the Siege Perilous class, in terms of being a torpedo/missile boat.

The New Orleans class Heavy Cruiser is the next-largest Heavy Cruiser in Starfleet, measuring in at 1.1 million m^3, and launched circa 2357, the fourth and last of the first round of new cruisers launched in the 2350s to begin modernizing the fleet and replacing the aging Excelsior and Miranda class starships that been the workhorses of the fleet for over fifty years. Capable of mounting three mission-specific pods, the New Orleans is the second of two ships that are the closest Starfleet has to a direct counterpart to the Siege Perilous class.

The Springfield class Heavy Cruiser, launched in 2355, was the second cruiser in the fleet upgrade program, and measures in at ~ 1 million m^3. The Springfield is not a spectacularly performing design in any one area, but it is a solid and reliable and broadly-capable Heavy Cruiser.

The Excelsior Type-B class Heavy Cruiser, launched in 2293 as an uprated version of the Excelsior class, is one of the oldest serving ships in the fleet. Measuring in at 983,000 m^3, the Excelsior Type-B was originally a Battleship, but now is outperformed by most modern Light Cruisers. Not many Type-B Excelsiors were bult, as it was not sufficiently more capable than the Type-A variant to justify the increased cost when the Excelsior entered into mass production.

The Challenger class Heavy Cruiser, also launched circa 2357, is the phaser-boating counterpart to the New Orleans, and measures in at around 900,000 m^3. It sports just two phaser arrays, but they are the largest arrays in the fleet beside the two main arrays on the Galaxy and Nebula classes (which have identical arrays), even larger than the main arrays on a Sovereign class (though the Sovereign's arrays are Type-XII and have a higher emitter count).

The Exclesior Type-A class Heavy Cruiser, launched in 2285, has been the premier and mainstay cruiser of the fleet for the first seventy years of the 24th Century. Measuring in at 873,000 m^3, the Excelsior only makes the Heavy Cruiser classification because of her size. Once an impressive Battleship, she is now matched or exceeded by modern Light Cruisers, but is still the second-most numerous class in the fleet and continues to serve as a major workhorse in the fleet through the end of the Dominion War.

The Prometheus class Light Cruiser is Starfleet's latest design, and the last of the new cruiser program, still only a prototype in 2374. Measuring in at 661,000 m^3, the Prometheus is a powerful Light Cruiser built for long-range, deep-space tactical operations and features a plethora of new defensive and offensive tech, pushing up towards a Heavy Cruiser level in combat capabilities (though much of this will be negated as the new tech disperses through the fleet), and it is the fastest ship in the fleet. The Prometheus is a fairly role-specific ship, however, and is not likely to be built in huge numbers.

The Steamrunner is a brand-spanking-new Light Cruiser, launched in 2372. Measuring in at 642,000 m^3 she is a bulldog of the fleet - not pretty, but solid, and not a ship you want to **** off. The Steamrunner sports eight torpedo launchers (double the norm for a modern Light Cruiser), six of which can fire straight 'up', such that it could bring all eight launchers to bear on a single target if angled properly.

The Intrepid class Light Cruiser is another new cruiser launched circa 2368. Measuring in at 625,000 m^3, the Intrepid is a sprinter, the third fastest ship in the fleet, though she is not built for long-distance running. The Intrepid is a solid, all-around Light Cruiser built for rapid response missions and short-duration sprints in to deep space.

The Cheyenne class Light Cruiser was the first of Starfleet's new cruiser program, launched in 2354. Measuring in at 550,000 m^3 the 4-nacelled Cheyenne is a thin and spindly ship, though she still represented a significant step-up in size for Light Cruisers when she launched. One of the fastest ships in the fleet, the Cheyenne was designed to be able to put its new technology and capabilities wherever it was needed in short order, to help cover the initial limited availability of new cruisers.

The Norway class Light Cruiser is one of the more mission-specific ships in the new cruiser program. Launched in 2369, the Norway is only 534,000 m^3, at the very bottom end of the modern Light Cruiser range. The Norway is primarily a sensor platform, though it is still capable of performing respectively, if not exceptionally, in most roles.

The Freedom class Destroyer, launched in 2349, was a 'sister ship' to the Niagara class, and heralded the new cruiser program to update the fleet that began in the 2350s, though it was not itself a part of the program. Measuring in at 430,000 m^3, the Freedom is a seemingly enormouse Destroyer, almost big enough to be a Light Cruiser, especially when she launched. The Freedom is really only a Destroyer, however, because 280,000 m^3 of her total volume is taken up by her single huge nacelle, the same type of nacelle used by the Galaxy and Nebula class, and first fielded on the Niagara class. The rest of the ship is only ~150,000 m^3 in volume. The Freedom can sprint at fairly high warp for very brief periods, but her primary feature is her extremely high cruising velocity.

The Saber class Destroyer is the new mainstay Destroyer class, launched in 2367. Measuring in at 239,000 m^3, the Saber is a little larger than the Miranda she is ultimately replacing, and all new ship. Limited in overall capabilities by her size, the Saber is still a solid Destroyer, and has half-again the usable volume of a Freedom class.

The Miranda class Frigate, launched in 2272 as a short-range, multi-role Heavy Cruiser, has been the mainstay Destroyer and Frigate of Starfleet for eighty years. Measuring in at just under 218,000 m^3, the Miranda is the second-oldest ship still in service, and is the most numerous ship in the fleet. The Miranda is slowly being phased out in favor of the Freedom and especially the new Saber class, which are both far more capable starships, and the class will be retired and mothballed completely over the next several years.

The Nova class Frigate, launched in 2370, is a new, short-range survey and science vessel designed to replace the Immortal Oberth. Measuring in at 88,650 m^3, the Nova is the second smallest starship currently in production. The Nova features a lot of new and state-of-the-art technology, but is not built for long-range operations and is generally a limited design meant for short-range independent operations and long-duration local suvey and documentary missions.

The Oberth class Science Vessel, launched in 2187, is the both the longest-serving and longest-produced design in the history of Starfleet. Originally a potent and state-of-the-art Light Cruiser, the Oberth has been relegated to the mainstay survey and science vessel of the fleet for over a hundred years. The "Immortal Oberth" (Catamount will appreciate that nick-name) is in the process of slowly being replaced by the Nova class and phased out of service, though the class has good odds of hitting the bicentennial mark of active service.

The Defiant class Escort, launched in 2370, is the smallest proper starship currently in production by Starfleet, measuring in at a grand total of 61,724 m^3. Developed in response to the First Borg Incursion and the Battle of Wolf 359, the Defiant is the first dedicated warship design in Starfleet history. Built to pack as much firepower and endurance into a small, mass-produceable package, the Defiant sacrifices almost every level of versatility and operational endurance that have come to define Starfleet ships. The Defiant pays a price in inefficiency and high equipment wear (such that the pulse phaser bank capacitors have to be frequently replaced because they burn themselves out with regular usage), but that price allows it to cram the firepower of a Light Cruiser and the endurance of a Heavy Destroyer into a package the size of a Corvette with enough maneuverability to give it the effective endurance / survivability of a Light Cruiser.

For overall numbers, it is said, "At the height of its power, the High Guard had over 500,000 ships ranging and billions of soldiers and officers."
By contrast:

Yeah, the High Guard definitely has a numbers advantage over Starfleet, which has only about 30,000 ships in the 2370s, though that fleet count has been steadily growing for several decades. Starfleet has at least tens of millions of 'troops,' and probably some hundreds of millions in total (the Cardassians had lost seven million troops in two years of a war they were generally winning, and of which their forces comprised only a portion of the total military forces on their 'side'). Between infantry and security forces, starship crews, starbase crews, and assorted support personnel, Starfleet probably easily has a few hundred million personnel in total, and possibly as many as a billion personnel (the Federation's total population is in the trillions at least - the 'think tank' in DS9 "Statistical Probabilities" projected a Federation defeat in the Dominion war with 900 billion casualties, but with still enough remaining population that five generations later a generation-long rebellion would rise up and defeat the Dominion, and the Federation easily has a hundred thousand worlds, so several trillion people is the minimum population level, with tens or even hundreds of trillions being quite possible). The numbers advantage the High Guard has is not quite high enough to completely overhwelm the Federation, however, especially when you factor in Trek's ability to engage in combat at FTL speeds, though the Federation would be severely limited in any strategic conflict until it could get some kind of slipstream drive operational.

#352 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Postilithi dragon, on 09 January 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Power Generation:
Star Trek uses a variety of power generation methods, but the primary power generation methods, and those used by the primary power compared here (the Federation), are Fusion and Matter/Anti-Matter reactors. Other powers use artificial singularities (Romulans and some Delta quad powers) to achieve power outputs comparable to M/AM reactors, and the Borg use some sort of matter-to-energy converter that is basically the Mr. Fusion verson of a M/AM reactor, but overall power generation tends to fall in line with fusion and M/AM reactors, and more or less does the same thing as a M/AM reactor by different means (excluding some rare/one-off super entities). It is not entirely clear whether the Federation is primarily M/AM or Fusion powered, as they may just use M/AM as an energy storage medium for rapid/high-yield releases of energy with Fusion being their primary power source, but the apparent prevalence of anti-matter and M/AM tech, and the ability for some large ships like the Galaxy class to generate their own anti-matter, suggests that the Federation and other contempory powers are fully capable of being purely M/AM-powered civilizations, but use a mix of M/AM and Fusion because Fusion power is safer and less complex (no extremely volatile and hard-to-contain fuels), and more than meets most power generaiton needs (the average person, even with 24th Century-level technology, would not need more than a small-sized fusion reactor in their basement to generate far beyond their day-to-day energy needs).

But for our purposes, regardless of whether the Federation is a Fusion-powered civilization that uses M/AM for energy storage and high-output needs or if the federation is a M/AM-powered civilization that uses Fusion to meet their low-powered needs, the primary power generation in ships and significant stations in Trek comes from M/AM reactors or the equivalent thereof. They supplement this with a large number of fusion reactors (especially on the bigger ships), to meet lower-end power requirements that don't require the full output of the M/AM reactor because deuterium is everywhere and anti-matter isn't, but their primary power source is M/AM reactions. Very efficient M/AM reactions, near-100% per Geordi's dialogue regarding his competition with the CEO on the USS Intrepid (and even beyond what is currently possible today if we could somehow get large quantities of anti-matter, because by late-TNG they seem to be harnessing even most of the power from neutrinos released in the reaction, which account for about half the energy released in M/AM and fusion reactions), so their power generation levels are basically E=mc^2, which you can't get better than without going into some whacky zero-point energy system or something (which the Federation is also experimenting in, see Quantum Torpedoes noted later on).

This is actually a huge part of why Catamount and I have maintained that Trek ships (at least by late-TNG era) are superior to most other franchises' ships, because unless you go into some kind of zero-point energy type system or some really exotic matter that doesn't exist in modern science, where you're drawing power from nothing or a different universe or some such, you just aren't going to get much more energy generation than what the Federation and its contemporaries can achieve, and most other franchises (with notable exceptions like EVE and Stargate, which use M/AM and assorted exotic materials and zero-point energy systems, respectively) are based around fusion power, which generates two whole orders of magnitude less power (and even more so when you factor in the amount of energy lost to neutrinos that late-era Trek reactors are able to harness). There are very few ways to get equal, let alone more energetic power sources than what Trek has been using as its primary power source since before the Federation was created, beyond scaling up the same power generation sources that Trek uses.

Now, it is possible to get more total energy generation than what Trek puts out, if you just build something big enough, but then you're talking about at least 100 times the resource expenditure (and probably more considering efficiency problems in scaling up that big) just to match what Trek (and franchises with comparable power sources) can do with any given amount of resources.

As for specific figures of Trek power generation, Trek reactor outputs are at least in the low PetaWatt range, and probably in the mid-PetaWatt range in outputs for the bigger conventional ships (with some possibly reaching into the high-PetaWatt to low-ExaWatt ranges for peak output). We do have one or two examples implying lower power generation figures, most notably in TNG "The Masterpiece Society" when a TeraWatt-range transmitter on the planet was required to punch through the interference surrounding the planet and Riker noted that that was more power than the entire ship could generate, but this is most likely a reference to the ship's communications array, not the total power generation system, as it contradicts with a number of other stated and implied energy levels, and the E-D shortly thereafter beams a person down through the interference, directly implying that they could generate at least TeraWatt-level energies through the transporter emitters.

The majority of the power figures stated and implied point to low- to mid-PetaWatt level power generation capabilities for typical starships. First of all, Trek warheads are well into the megaton range (as elaborated on later), and they throw them around like candy, so Trek shield systems would be required to put out energy levels at least in the low PetaJoule range to be able to shrug off multiple sequential hits as observed on numerous occasions, not to mention the energy required to power phasers capable of competing with photon torpedo yields, as well as power every other system on the ship simultaneously.

Second, in VOY "Revulsion" we hear that there are 5 PetaWatts of energy (stated as five million gigawatts) flowing through an EPS conduit. This conduit is running through a cargo bay, does not appear to be of a particularly huge size (compared to the EPS taps coming straight off the warp core), the ship was not at any particular state of alert or high energy output (they were not at warp), and and the conduit was open and being worked on at the time (LOL OSHA standards).

Then, in TNG "True Q", Data states that the Enterprise-D's main reactor was outputing "12.75 billion gigawatts per-" before being cut off by the sudden appearance of Q. That's 12,750 PetaWatts, or 12.75 ExaWatts, while the ship was idling in orbit around a planet. Now, the rest of Data's line per the script is "(per) second," which is a somewhat nonsensical statement, because Data would have basically said that the reactor was producing 12.75 ExaJoules per second per second (an accelerating output curve...). Even if we disregard this as a flub in the script that transposed Watts and Joules (an easy enough mistake, just ask Catamount } ; = 8 P ), this energy output is still somewhat unrealistic, since it would require a mass roughly equivalent to half of Homer Simpson sqeezing through both the upper and lower tubes into the central reactor each second, and is well beyond the peak reactor output requirements for the other energy levels observed and implied, let alone the output levels required for, and if that's the fuel consumption rate at idle, the E-D would burn through her fuel stores insanely quickly at high output.

A more likely explanation is that Data's output figure does not actually refer to the sustained output of the reactor, but rather the reaction rate for each 'pulse' of fuel we see flowing down the tubes. Each pulse of fuel reacts at a rate that produces 12.75 ExaWatts of power, but the reaction lasts for considerably less than a second, and/or occurs at a frequency considerably greater than one second. This explanation would prevent us from using Data's figure as a direct energy output, but it does that at least the peak sustained energy outputs would be near that range.

Either way, low- to mid-PetaJoule range outputs for Trek reactors (depending on ship size) appear to be the norm.

From the Memory Alpha article on warp cores:

Warp core is the common designation for the main energy reactor powering the propulsion system on warp-capable starships. During the 22nd century, warp reactors aboard NX-class starships were technically known as the "Gravimetric Field Displacement Manifold". (ENT: "Cold Front") The reactor had eight major components. (ENT: "Desert Crossing")

On Federation starships, the warp core usually consists of a matter/antimatter reaction assembly (M/ARA) utilizing deuterium and antideuterium reacting in a dilithium crystal matrix which produces a maximum output of 4,000 teradynes per second. (VOY: "Drone")

So, we know that the warp core - a starship's main power source - is mainly a matter/antimatter reactor that runs on deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen).

By contrast, most if not all High Guard ships are powered by an "AP fusion generator", elements of which include the AP power converter and the AP containment rods:

An AP Power Converter is a energy/mass converter that injects APs and regular protons into a powerful contaminant tank and forced them to interact. In the resulting powerful mass reaction, the energy created by the interaction is converted by the AP Power Converter into electrical power for any use. AP power converters can be almost any size and can have many uses, like powering the MPD maneuvering thrusters on the Andromeda Ascendant, powering slipfighters, as well as powering drones and missiles and some recreational devices. They are an example of a highly prolific technology that are used everywhere because of the wide range of uses for them. AP Power Converters also can regulate the amount of power that they convert, providing a massive amount of power that can propel warships to powering small computer screens. This allows ships to regulate their power distribution for a variety of reasons, which range from the conservation of fuel to trying to be stealthy and limit and mask the power emissions created.

Apparently, the Converters can overload if power distribution is not handled properly, and when they do the resulting explosion can be powerful enough to destroy a Glorious Heritage class ship. AP Power Converters use valves that can be jammed open or closed, that can cause catastrophic damage to a ship. Because the system is so vital, it is well protected, and it takes a lot of damage to do harm to the Converter.

Anti-Proton Containment Rods, also known as AP Rods are small rods that serve the purpose of storing and buffering Anti-Protons right before they are bled into the MagnetoplasmaDynamic Drive, which are the main sources of propulsion and power for large spaceships such as the Andromeda Ascendant, Righteous Fist of Heaven class vessels, and many others. When they contain the Anti-Protons, they are extremely dangerous and volatile, and must be treated very, very carefully. They are an important part of the Andromeda's Slipstream System, as they allow the Gravity Field Generator to be activated and rip a hole in the fabric of the universe which ships then use their Slipstream Prongs to surf to allow for FTL travel.

So, as the Federation and the High Guard make use of M/AM reactors on their respective ships, it stands to reason that they have access to the same degree of energy.

So, how much energy is that, really?

Recall:

On Federation starships, the warp core usually consists of a matter/antimatter reaction assembly (M/ARA) utilizing deuterium and antideuterium reacting in a dilithium crystal matrix which produces a maximum output of 4,000 teradynes per second. (VOY: "Drone")

So, we know that the canonical maximum power output of a Federation warp core is 4,000 teradynes (4,000x10^12 or 4.00x10^15 dynes).

The dyne is an SI unit of force defined as defined as "the force required to accelerate a mass of one gram at a rate of one centimetre per second squared"
One watt is equal to 1 watt is equal to 36000000000 dyne-centimeter/hour, or 100,000 dyne-meter/seconds.
One watt is equal to one joule/second.

Therefore, 1 joule = 100,000 dyne-meters.
So, 1 dyne = 1.00x10^-5 joule/meter.
One dyne is also equal to 10 micronewtons.

So, 4,000 teradynes per second is equal to 4.00x10^15 micronewtons per second, or 4.00x10^9 newtons per second (the impulse of Voyager's warp core).

So it seems as though warp core power is canonically measured most directly by the propulsive power of the warp field; why else would they use a measure of force (the dyne), unless they were just misusing the unit?
(Though, as the warp drive is essentially what we would call an Alcubierre Drive and such a device would likely valued most for the propulsive power of the field it produces, perhaps it makes sense in its own way...? )

So...

We know that an Intrepid-class starship (such as Voyager) has a mass of 700,000 metric tons (or 700,000,000 kilograms).
Over one second, the warp drive (assuming negligible energy losses) could impart a force of 4.00x10^9 newtons on Voyager.
Assuming Voyager is starting from rest (V0 = 0 m/s) and only the warp system is used for propulsion (no impulse engines), this gives us an acceleration of a = F/m = (4.00x10^9/7.00x10^8) = 5.71 m/(s^2), a new velocity (V1) of 5.71 m/s, and a displacement of 2.86 meters.

This gives us the work done by the warp drive in one second as W = F*d = (4.00x10^9 N * 2.86 m) = 1.14x10^10 joules, or 11.4 gigajoules.
As one watt is equal to one joule per second, the power of the warp drive would be P = (1.14x10^10 joules/1 second) = 11.4 gigawatts.

So, we could reasonable assume that both the High Guard and the Federation have ship-board power generation in either the multi-gigawatt range (where we assume their systems are incredibly efficient and effective) or the "low to mid petajoule" range (as points of reference, the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station has an installed capacity of 802 MW and an annual generation of 6,645 GW·h, the installed capacity of wind power in Germany at the end of 2010 was 25.8 GW, and the "mass–energy equivalence" (E=m*c^2) is 89.9 PJ/kg).

EDIT removed links because the forum's "formatting-fail" essentially ate my post... >_>

Edited by Strum Wealh, 10 January 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#353 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 10 January 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

:rolleyes:

Firstly, 1 AU is equal to 92,955,807.3 miles, or 149,597,870.7 kilometers (or, to put it another way, ~8.317 light-minutes - the lower end of the High Guard's maximum missile ranges of 8-10 light minutes), so the statement "96.3 billion kilometers, or about 1 AU" is very far off.

lol so much for error correction at 2:30 in the morning... Yes, you are correct. For some reason I was crossing million and billion and miles and kilometers. The observed range of Kazon torpedoes is actually about 642 AU. Those are Kazon torpedoes, not Federation torpedoes, but the Kazon are well behind the Federation in technology.

Secondly, the Memory Alpha article on warp factors states that warp 9.9 (implied to be 9.900) represents an average speed of 21,473c (derived from "The 37's"), while warp 9.975 represents an average speed of only 1,554 - 1,721c (derived from "Relativity" and "Friendship One").
In fact, I'm not the only one who noticed that there is something very... odd (to say the least!) with this figure:

Also, from MA:

Well, first of all, just because Voyager can run at Warp 9.9 or 9.975 and over 21,000c for a while doesn't mean she can maintain that speed constantly for three years straight. That would be like hopping in a Dodge Viper and drive at 150 miles per hour for three years straight without stopping. It's just not going to happen, for a whole plethora of reasons, including fuel limitations, supply problems, maintenance and wear problems, etc., all of which are HUGE problems for Voyager, being stranded on the far side of the galaxy.

As noted previously, Trek ships can sprint pretty damn fast, and if they know the area they're sprinting through, they can sprint REALLY damn fast, but they have their limits for long-distance endurance. Just like you can't run a car engine at just under the red line for three years straight, you can't run a warp engine under the red line for three years straight. Long-term sustained velocities average out at closer to 1,000c.

Also, the higher warp factors of 9.975 being only 1500c do not add up with Warp 9.2 being established as ~9,000c in TNG, and 1-2,000c being around Warp 5 or 6. Warp 9.9 being ~21,400c is also consistent with the exponentially increasing warp scale described in the TNG:TM (and iirc, indirectly on-screen).

Also: what examples are there of a Federation ship still in warp actually firing at a target (another ship, an asteroid, or anything else) that is not in warp?
I noticed that the famed "Picard Maneuver" calls for the attacking ship to drop out of warp before firing at the target:

Essentially, they closed the distance (to effectively point-blank?) and attacked before the other ship could respond, while also taking advantage of the optical illusion.

In "Divergence":

Since warp drives "generate warp fields to form a subspace bubble that envelops the starship, distorting the local spacetime continuum immediately around the ship and moving the starship at velocities that exceeded the speed of light" and these warp fields evidently present at least some difficulty as far as allowing matter and/or energy through (either into or out of; as seen in "Divergence"), are they able to open holes in the warp field to allow direct-fire weapons (phasers) through (as I assume allowing warp-driven torpedoes to be fired through the attacking ship's warp field and/or through the target ship's warp field would require the same type of work needed to merge the warp fields of two ships)?

TOS "Elaan of Troyius" the Enterprise's warp drive is disabled and she is straffed multiple times by a Klingon battlecruiser.

TOS "The Ultimate Computer" the Enterprise attacks a sub-light freighter while at warp (under the control of the M5 computer)

TOS "Journey to Babel" the Enterprise's warp drive is again disabled (due to sabotage), and she is strafed several times by an Orion ship traveling at Warp 8.

TOS "The Changeling" the Enterprise engages Nomad at warp. Warp power is lost prior to the Enterprise firing on Nomad, but it is clear that they desired to be moving at warp speed during the engagement, which would have necessitated firing weapons at warp.

We don't see any direct instances of firing on sublight targets at warp in TNG, DS9 or VOY (though we see a number of instances, especially in VOY, of ships at warp firing on other ships at warp), though this is partly because the circumstnaces of combat often haven't called for it (TNG's combat was mostly stand-off combat, with two ships posturing at each other for a while before firing at close range, for example), or there was reason to not move at warp (such as in DS9 "The Return" when the fleet was trying to break through to DS9. We've seen that ships can be knocked out of warp by a number of things, and the last thing any fleet commander wants to do is try and maneuver around an enemy fleet at warp and have the enemy fleet and have them start knocking ships out of warp, leaving her ships strung out across space all out of formation and far too out of range of each other to provide immediate support). Generally, it seems that there are problems in large numbers of ships maneuvering at warp speed (not the least of which because ships turning at warp tend to 'drift' a lot, making precise formation maneuvers very difficult, and forcing ships to maintain considerable separation, enough that any large number of ships would likely be too far apart to provide effective fire coordination). It seems that small numbers of ships can engage in warp maneuvers easily enough, but large fleets are tricky.

Also, as far as the "Basics, Pt. 1" example, it sounds like a variant of the classic "train problem": if the torpedo is moving along one vector at velocity "X" and Voyager is starting from some distance "d0" from the firing ship and moving along an intersecting vector (or perhaps even the same vector?) in the opposite direction at velocity "Y" (where it is most likely the case that Y >> X), where (that is, what distance "d1" from the ship firing the torpedo) do they meet?

We know that, with regard to the velocity of photon torpedoes:
"The propulsion system of the torpedoes is a warp sustainer engine. The engine coils of the torpedo grab and hold a hand-off field from the launcher tube's sequential field induction coils. A miniature matter/antimatter fuel cell adds power to the hand-off field. When launched in warp flight, torpedo will continue to travel at warp, when launched at sublight, torpedo will travel at a high sublight speed, but will not cross the warp threshold." (Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, pg. 129)
"Torpedoes will obtain a high sublight speed when launched from a stationary launch platform. They are still effective against close-in threat vessels." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, page unknown)

"The fact that a class 8 probe was supposedly launched by a starbase at warp speeds in "The Emissary" might be inconsistent with the statement that photon torpedoes can't reach warp speed if launched from a stationary or a sublight platform."
"They later rendezvous with the emissary's shuttle, a specially-converted probe capable of transporting one person at warp 9."

So, we know (or can reasonably assume) that Y = warp 9.975 (Voyager's stated maximum speed, equal to 1,721c or 5.16x10^11m/s), X < 0.99c ("high sublight speed, but will not cross the warp threshold", assuming these Kazon were not at warp when firing at Voyager), and d1 is still likely on the order of 8 million kilometers (the stated maximum range of a photon torpedo at Voyager's time; equal to ~0.45 light-minutes, or 0.053 AU) at most... though, it could be shorter if these Kazon have tech that much inferior to Voyager's or longer if the torpedo was fired while the Kazon were already in warp (as X could then be in excess of 1.0c)

Assuming a non-warp firing and a torpedo flight time of ~30 seconds (0.45 light-minutes at c would equate to a 27-second flight time), Voyager could have started at ~ 1.55x10^13 meters (~861.71 light-minutes, or ~103.61 AU) away and closed to 8 million km if moving at maximum warp... which would imply that even a "low-tech" ST society would have very long-range sensors (in order to let them detect Voyager at that distance and compute a firing solution).

Well, as noted above, the 1721c figure for Warp 9.975 is not consistent with previously established figures, while 21,400c for Warp 9.9 IS. Maximum warp speeds in the tens of thousands c for Voyager is also not inconsistent with a 70-year travel time when you consider fuel consumption/efficiency, equipment stress, and need to divert for supplies, etc. The other, high-end lightspeed figures for lower warp factors are also all within territories generally well-charted by the Federation, which would allow them to take advantage of known variations in subspace to get more out of their warp engines than the norm for 'unmapped' space. A much more likely figure for Voyager's velocity in Basics is in the tens of thousands.

Additionally, the time between the first torpedo impact and the arrival of Voyager at the location of the Kazon vessels was about 15 seconds. If Voyager was traveling at just Warp 1, that puts the range of those torpedoes at 4.5 million km. If Voyager was traveling at the 1721c you claim, that would put the observed range of those torpedoes at 7.74 billion km, or about 51.6 AU. If Voyager was traveling at 21,400c (approximate stated value for Warp 9.9), that puts the observed range of those torpedoes at about 96.3 billion kilometers, or about 642 AU.

Now, it is entirely possible that the Kazon warships firing those torpedoes were maneuvering at warp themselves, so that we were seeing the warp speed-boosted range of a torpedo, but still, this does demonstrate that Trek weapons do have the ability to fire at extremely long ranges, they just generally don't because the nature of combat against other Trek ships makes combat at those ranges impractical.

So, basically, the Federation has sensor ranges that far out-strip their weapons ranges (and the assumed sensor ranges of High Guard ships), while the High Guard's weapons generally far-outrange those of the Federation.
Also, is there some evidence to suggest that the Federation, with the sensors available to it in the 2370s could locate and/or track High Guard ships while they are in slipstream (effectively in another dimension)?

(Also, I'll try to address the rest of the "megapost", but it may take a while and need to be done in chunks... :lol:)

Oh, most definitely, the Federation sensors faaaaaaaar out-range their conventional ship-to-ship weapons, and High Guard weapons generally have longer effective ranges than Trek weapons (at least, their guided missile weapons... I'm not sure about their non-guided weapons because the primary reason Trek phasers and disruptors are limited to ~1 light second is that they can't effectively hit Trek targets beyond that range because the travel time is too long and Trek ships are too maneuverable, a limitation that should also apply to High Guard ships). I'm still not sure who would have the advantage, though, outside of numbers and strategic FTL capacity going to the High Guard. On the tactical level, I'm still not sure that Trek ships would be at a disadvantage, even if you remove their ability to engage at warp in large fleet engagements.

Oh, and I gave you a couple more post cookies (including info on subspace/slipstream scanning).

#354 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 10 January 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

From the Memory Alpha article on warp cores:

So, we know that the warp core - a starship's main power source - is mainly a matter/antimatter reactor that runs on deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen).

By contrast, most if not all High Guard ships are powered by an "AP fusion generator", elements of which include the AP power converter and the AP containment rods:

So, as the Federation and the High Guard make use of M/AM reactors on their respective ships, it stands to reason that they have access to the same degree of energy.

So, how much energy is that, really?

Recall:

So, we know that the canonical maximum power output of a Federation warp core is 4,000 teradynes (4,000x10^12 or 4.00x10^15 dynes).

The dyne is an SI unit of force defined as defined as "the force required to accelerate a mass of one gram at a rate of one centimetre per second squared"
One watt is equal to 1 watt is equal to 36000000000 dyne-centimeter/hour, or 100,000 dyne-meter/seconds.
One watt is equal to one joule/second.

Therefore, 1 joule = 100,000 dyne-meters.
So, 1 dyne = 1.00x10^-5 joule/meter.
One dyne is also equal to 10 micronewtons.

So, 4,000 teradynes per second is equal to 4.00x10^15 micronewtons per second, or 4.00x10^9 newtons per second (the impulse of Voyager's warp core).

So it seems as though warp core power is canonically measured most directly by the propulsive power of the warp field; why else would they use a measure of force (the dyne), unless they were just misusing the unit?
(Though, as the warp drive is essentially what we would call an Alcubierre Drive and such a device would likely valued most for the propulsive power of the field it produces, perhaps it makes sense in its own way...? )

So...

We know that an Intrepid-class starship (such as Voyager) has a mass of 700,000 metric tons (or 700,000,000 kilograms).
Over one second, the warp drive (assuming negligible energy losses) could impart a force of 4.00x10^9 newtons on Voyager.
Assuming Voyager is starting from rest (V0 = 0 m/s) and only the warp system is used for propulsion (no impulse engines), this gives us an acceleration of a = F/m = (4.00x10^9/7.00x10^8) = 5.71 m/(s^2), a new velocity (V1) of 5.71 m/s, and a displacement of 2.86 meters.

This gives us the work done by the warp drive in one second as W = F*d = (4.00x10^9 N * 2.86 m) = 1.14x10^10 joules, or 11.4 gigajoules.
As one watt is equal to one joule per second, the power of the warp drive would be P = (1.14x10^10 joules/1 second) = 11.4 gigawatts.

So, we could reasonable assume that both the High Guard and the Federation have ship-board power generation in either the multi-gigawatt range (where we assume their systems are incredibly efficient and effective) or the "low to mid petajoule" range (as points of reference, the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station has an installed capacity of 802 MW and an annual generation of 6,645 GW·h, the installed capacity of wind power in Germany at the end of 2010 was 25.8 GW, and the "mass–energy equivalence" (E=m*c^2) is 89.9 PJ/kg).

EDIT removed links because the forum's "formatting-fail" essentially ate my post... >_>

Interesting analysis, except that this is not consistent with numerous other direct energy and power statements, in VOY as well as other episodes. As noted in my post, in VOY "Revulsion", 5,000,000 GigaWatts (or 5 PetaWatts) was flowing through an EPS conduit in a cargo by, while the ship was not undergoing any particular high-energy operations. We have numerous other mentions of actual energy and power figures in the TeraJoule and PetaJoule range in VOY and TNG. The actual line from One in VOY "Drone" is this:

Warp core. Fuelled by a matter - antimatter reaction which produces a maximum output of four thousand teradynes per second, providing power for faster than light propulsion.

The unit of measure that One used does not make sense in the context of the statement. As noted, a dyne is a unit of force, equivalent to a micronewton, NOT a unit of energy, which is what he should have been using. Getting any kind of usable figure from it requires a convoluted series of calculations that could be thrown off in either direction by any number of factors. And, nit-picking I know, but the phrasing of the statement works just as well if we assume that One is referring to the output of the specific reaction of M/AM within the core, and not the total core output.

Ultimately, this one statement is no consistent with numerous other statements of TeraWatt and PetaWatt-range energy outputs available from Trek reactor systems, nor is it consistent with the known energy yields of Trek weapons systems, and the specifics of the statement make it very difficult to get any kind of usable figure. There are numerous other direct statements of actual energy and power figures (probably repeating myself, but it's late), which provide much more usable figures, all of which are consistent with the amount of energy that would be available from a M/AM reaction, with grams and kilograms of matter and anti-matter reacting per second (simply calculated as E=mc^2 - grams per second easily yield TeraWatt to low-PetaWatt range power outputs, and Kilograms per second the same for high-PetaWatt range power outputs).

This applies to both Trek and Andromeda. They both operate on more or less the same power generation method, albeit with slightly different specific fuels, so they are both going to have more or less the same peak power generation capacities, with the only limitation the ability to contain Tera- and PetaJoule-range power outputs (which Trek obviously has no problem with).

#355 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Warhammer 40,000 would win because of one thing, and one thing only:

THE WARP!

#356 Ilithi Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostApplejack, on 11 January 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Warhammer 40,000 would win because of one thing, and one thing only:

THE WARP!

Ahh, but Star Trek has Quantum. That beats everything.

And if that doesn't work, they'll just Reverse the Polarity.

Edited by ilithi dragon, 11 January 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#357 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postilithi dragon, on 11 January 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Probably in under 15 minutes too (unless its a two part episode).

#358 Adrian Pryde

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I just have to say that reading this topic caused me to seriously burn the food I was cooking on the stove.

#359 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postilithi dragon, on 11 January 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Ahh, but Star Trek has Quantum. That beats everything.

Besides the frakking Andromeda which is superior to basically everyone on that list, I think that the refitted USS Odyssey/Daedalus/Apollo would be the best ship here in a 1-on-1 confrontation.

The Ori Warship is estimated to have shields capable of withstanding, if you split the punishment 4 Warships take between the fleet of Ha'tak ships, the O'Neill, Korolev, and Odyssey, about 12-16 gigatons. With a ZPM on-board, the Odyssey manages to take down on of these monsters in 7 shots.

If you can rapid fire a 1500+ megaton beam, you have some serious power on board. Also, the Ori Warship can 1-shot a Ha'tak which has shields capable of surviving at least 1200 megatons, yet these same beams only take about 20% off of the Odyssey's shields. I don't need to make an argument about the speed, as it can reach 50% of lightspeed, or 1.5 billion times the speed of light on hyperdrive. Manoeuvrability doesn't seem to bad either, and it is slightly smaller then the Voyager making it a small target.

I suppose Trek could use its overly conveniant technobabble to win in the end, perhaps by reversing the polarity. Although I doubt the beam-a-torpedo-onboard will work since Stargate shields seem to block transporters. In fact, I guess the Odyssey could beam a nuke on board since this doesn't work both ways.

This all depends on the ZPM of course. Without it, I would say it is about 40% as effective with one.

#360 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Isn't this the episode where they use the ship's phasers to punch a hole in math to fly through? :P (our hypothetical Trek episode, not the awesome Stargate 200 reference)

Edited by Catamount, 11 January 2012 - 06:38 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users