Star Wars vs Star Trek vs Battle Tech Space Battles

1189 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the Ultimate Winner? (700 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will come out on top?

1. Star Wars (154 votes [22.00%])

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

2. Star Trek (118 votes [16.86%])

Percentage of vote: 16.86%

3. Star Craft (9 votes [1.29%])

Percentage of vote: 1.29%

4. Battle Star Galactica (26 votes [3.71%])

Percentage of vote: 3.71%

5. Battle Tech (85 votes [12.14%])

Percentage of vote: 12.14%

6. Macross (32 votes [4.57%])

Percentage of vote: 4.57%

7. Gundam (24 votes [3.43%])

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

8. WarHammer40k (152 votes [21.71%])

Percentage of vote: 21.71%

9. Star Gate (12 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

10. EveOnline (53 votes [7.57%])

Percentage of vote: 7.57%

11. Battleship Yamato (10 votes [1.43%])

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

12. Legend of Galactic Heros (7 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

13. Halo (18 votes [2.57%])

Percentage of vote: 2.57%

Convert to Best space ship space battles or keep current format? Choices submissions Extended to 2/11/12

1. Convert to only space ship naval battles, ignoring civ other traits. (116 votes [25.05%])

Percentage of vote: 25.05%

2. Keep current format, full universe as deciding factor. (347 votes [74.95%])

Percentage of vote: 74.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#481 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

the 2 power generation systems I have seen that are "better" than fusion or antimatter are "dimensional taps" and one that was in a novel series... "conversion reactors"

the zpm (which is argueably a dimensional tap battery) or dimensional tap generators seem to get a bunch of their energy from either pulling power out of another dimensional space, or getting power from plank interactions ie there in some physics models is a constant "soup" of atomic/sub atomic particles that appear and disapear constantly these systems tap into that.

the "conversion reactor" is the next step in power generation past fusion and/or antimatter, in the novel series a conversion reactor runs on water (distilled water actually) the water is fed into the reactor, and the water is reduced to energy, following the formula E-MC2 while antimatter "technically" gets more power output, creation and storage of antimatter can be very energy intensive, wheras water is just have a big tank

re the dylithium crystals in star trek they are only used to (depending on the reference) focus the energy pulse of the antimater effectively allowing you to somehow tap into energy output over time, or is used as a reaction containment and stabilization material, reference "how much for just the planet" dylithium crystals supposedly have a 4 dimensional lattus not 3, IE the crystals structure extends both through space and time.

#482 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postguardiandashi, on 23 January 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

the 2 power generation systems I have seen that are "better" than fusion or antimatter are "dimensional taps" and one that was in a novel series... "conversion reactors"

the zpm (which is argueably a dimensional tap battery) or dimensional tap generators seem to get a bunch of their energy from either pulling power out of another dimensional space, or getting power from plank interactions ie there in some physics models is a constant "soup" of atomic/sub atomic particles that appear and disapear constantly these systems tap into that.

the "conversion reactor" is the next step in power generation past fusion and/or antimatter, in the novel series a conversion reactor runs on water (distilled water actually) the water is fed into the reactor, and the water is reduced to energy, following the formula E-MC2 while antimatter "technically" gets more power output, creation and storage of antimatter can be very energy intensive, wheras water is just have a big tank

re the dylithium crystals in star trek they are only used to (depending on the reference) focus the energy pulse of the antimater effectively allowing you to somehow tap into energy output over time, or is used as a reaction containment and stabilization material, reference "how much for just the planet" dylithium crystals supposedly have a 4 dimensional lattus not 3, IE the crystals structure extends both through space and time.

Well you can make anything a powerful as you want if you start going beyond real-world power generation; that's one reason why I never liked Stargate's ZPMs.

Dilithium, canonincally, supposedly works by being porous but nonreactor to antimatter, allowing it to serve as a flow regulation substance. I'm not aware of a canon source that says anything about it being otherwise special in its physical nature (ie more than three dimensional), but I mean, it's technobabble "let's make our M/AM reactors sound more fancy" crystal, what do you want? ;)

Trek's a great show in its own right, but good lord the technobabble gets bad. I legitimately think Voyager invented 15-syllable words on a weekly basis, and it just wasn't necessary for the plots (which, granted, in Voyager, sometimes sunk to Parallax and Threshold; I dare you to look the plots up on Memory Alpha... or a youtube review).

That's part of why I liked Stargate, especially SG-1 (SGA had its bad moments in this department). SG-1 largely didn't rely on any particularly bad made up technobabble; actually the show was comparitively well researched. When they did throw in ridiculous technobabble, it was usually as part of the show's self-parodying nature. Ah, but I digress.

Edited by Catamount, 23 January 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#483 PropWash

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Honeybadger Voltron

Edited by PropWash, 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#484 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostPropWash, on 02 February 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Honeybadger Voltron

You win.

#485 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Couldn't vote. No Wing Commander!

#486 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

25 pages ..?!?!?! ;)

Stop the madness

#487 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

ok ... time for an update Its been a while. Here's the deal, from today until this sunday Feb 5th please list any selections I have missed in terms of universes that are battling for space supremacy. Afterword I will make a vote wipe and re-update the poll. List format please. Anything with space cannon goes, please no ponies but since there's a moon pony I guess I can make that an option, but seriously only as a joke.

Edited by ManDaisy, 02 February 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#488 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 02 February 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

ok ... time for an update Its been a while. Here's the deal, from today until this sunday Feb 5th please list any selections I have missed in terms of universes that are battling for space supremacy. Afterword I will make a vote wipe and re-update the poll. List format please. Anything with space cannon goes, please no ponies but since there's a moon pony I guess I can make that an option, but seriously only as a joke.

All Systems Commonwealth (Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda)
Interstellar Alliance or EarthForce or Minbari Federation or Vorlon Empire or Shadows (Babylon 5/Crusade)
Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance or Shivans (FreeSpace 2: Colossus)
Terran Confederation or Kilrathi Empire (Wing Commander series)
Star Kingdom of Manticore or Republic of Haven or Solarian League (Honorverse series)
Conjoiners or Inhibitors or Greenfly (Revelation Space series)
Team Dai-Gurren (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Vampires, werewolves, mages, and other stranger things in space (World of Darkness: Infinite Macabre)

(I assume we're generally staying away from high-powered groups like the Time Lords, the Q, Lovecraftian elder-gods, and such...?)

#489 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

I know this day would come....

*brb doing maintenance on shadow cat*

#490 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Yes anything that can alter reality with a flick of the finger should be avoided. However I will allow quasi sci fi magic as long as it not an auto win situation. A good example is star wars, the use of the force is not economically viable for space battles because the universe is so vast and so few posses the power to actually do something say vs a naval cannon or nuclear missile. Also to bring things into focus try not to deal with any particular entity, the contest is between civilizations, not legends or gods. You can have the most powerful wizard in the universe but if I can destroy his species with a simple bomb... you get the picture. I am also going to suggest that people think of non intelligent sub civilization species so long its not something indestructible like common everyday mold or cockroaches. Team Dai-Gurren is valid, just barely valid because it has a clear picture of a type of civilization, however Vampires, werewolves, mages, is too broad and will have to be narrowed down to a civilization or distinct group. Valid sub civilizations include distinct groups such as "Aliens" the kind from alien vs predator, the flood "halo" etc. Invalid sub civ species are things such as bears and t-rexes or bear T-rex hybrids.

Edited by ManDaisy, 02 February 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#491 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Please Format In;

(Distinct group, civilization, or faction) (Universe Source)

Strum Wealth is a good example of format.

Edited by ManDaisy, 02 February 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#492 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

To add a few more:

Peacekeepers or Scarran empire (Farscape)
UN or Chigs (Space: Above and Beyond)
Abh Empire (Crest/Banner of the Stars)
Hegemony/Starways Congress or Formics/"Buggers" (Ender's Game series)
Union of Allied Planets or Reavers (Firefly)

Also, will the revamped poll also include the original choices, and will those and any that are added be listed by 'verse (as it is currently) or by group/civilization/faction (e.g. separate listings for the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, etc. rather than one listing for Star Trek)?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 03 February 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#493 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 03 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

UN or Chigs (Space: Above and Beyond)
Abh Empire (Crest/Banner of the Stars)

You are bringing back some serious nostalgia :D

#494 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'll have to admit I am have no where near the level of expertise of everyone who has expressed their opinion on this on going debate. Sadly as I am not prepared to take up the venture of a research paper class task, you will have to assume the poll the is starting from scratch with the previous choices only serving as guidelines for what you wish to include. I will be only including content you people provide as I am not up the the task of coming up with any of my own. So in short Strurm, nope. Only what you give me.

Edited by ManDaisy, 03 February 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#495 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

I must say, I am utterly dismayed at the lack of a voting option for Stingray.

Posted Image

As everyone knows, the winning combination of the tactical genius of Troy Tempest & the bumbling buffoonery of "Phones", coupled with the abject pointlessness of Marina & the surly, couldn't-give-a-damn charm of Commander Shore is a medley not to be beat. But most importantly, as well as having the technology to jump a pimped-out shag-pad submarine like a fish, these guys are packing the single most deadly weapon known to anyone anywhere ever.

I am talking of course, about the motha-****ing Sting Missile. A single launch of which is more than sufficient to completely ignore all international/extraterrestrial laws & teach kids everywhere that it's better to shoot first & not ask questions later, all while easily destroying an entire Megaopolis of as yet uncontacted life.

Your move.

In all seriousness, or not. I am a big fan of Sargeant Avery Junior Johnson of the Halo franchise, I'm pretty sure it doesn't really matter how superior your technology or tactics, this guy is the future's answer to Chuck Norris but with better one-liners.

Posted Image

#496 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostZRO Zimm, on 03 February 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

I must say, I am utterly dismayed at the lack of a voting option for Stingray.

Posted Image

As everyone knows, the winning combination of the tactical genius of Troy Tempest & the bumbling buffoonery of "Phones", coupled with the abject pointlessness of Marina & the surly, couldn't-give-a-damn charm of Commander Shore is a medley not to be beat. But most importantly, as well as having the technology to jump a pimped-out shag-pad submarine like a fish, these guys are packing the single most deadly weapon known to anyone anywhere ever.

I am talking of course, about the motha-****ing Sting Missile. A single launch of which is more than sufficient to completely ignore all international/extraterrestrial laws & teach kids everywhere that it's better to shoot first & not ask questions later, all while easily destroying an entire Megaopolis of as yet uncontacted life.

Your move.

Well, if we're throwing in submarines (the Stingray)... why not the SeaQuest?
Posted Image

At least the SeaQuest has been in space and in the waters of an extraterrestrial world... can the Stingray say the same? :D

-----

Also, to actually add another option for the poll:
Terran Federation or Arachnids (Starship Troopers - preferably the original novel, but we can count the movies and TV series too)

#497 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 03 February 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Sadly as I am not prepared to take up the venture of a research paper class task, you will have to assume the poll the is starting from scratch with the previous choices only serving as guidelines for what you wish to include. I will be only including content you people provide as I am not up the the task of coming up with any of my own. So in short Strurm, nope. Only what you give me.

Ok, then I guess I will break up 40k into its major factions without getting into too much detail like specific groups within the Inquisition or lesser known species like the Demiurge (you can use them seperately or just keep the original 40k option-I certainly don't care either way, but previous posts would suggest that at least some 40k species like Eldar and Necrons are technologically advanced enough to place them on different tiers when compared to other franchises).

The Eldar Craftworlds (Eldar)/ Warhammer 40k
The Dark Eldar Kabals (Eldar)/ Warhammer 40k
The Imperial Navy (Humans)/ Warhammer 40k
The Adeptus Astartes (Humans)/ Warhammer 40k
The Adeptus Mechanicus (Humans)/ Warhammer 40k
The Necron Dynasties (Necrons)/ Warhammer 40k
The Ork Waaaghs! (Orks)/ Warhammer 40k
The Tyranid Hive Fleets (Tyranids)/ Warhammer 40k
The Tau Kor'vattra (Tau)/ Warhammer 40k/ I hesitated to even add this one because...well...the Tau are the Tau, but they do have void ships and a navy

I left out the Chaos Fleet because they are affiliated with the Chaos Gods, but they are there.

Also, I don't like the Culture novels, but someone should mention the Culture. They do dance on the border of practically omnipotent, but they're still not as all powerful as the Q or the Outer Gods.

And:
Posted Image

Honeybadger takes what he wants.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 04 February 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#498 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

It goes 97% of the NEW speed of light!

Posted Image

Edited by Zakatak, 03 February 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#499 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

So, I was reading through Sarna, and came up with a potentially interesting scenario:

BT vs BSG

ROUND 01:
one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Avalon-class WarShip
Posted Image

vs

one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Jupiter-class (Galactica-type) BattleStar
Posted Image

Who wins?!
(Were I a gambler, I would bet of the Galactica... your thoughts?)

ROUND 02:
one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Mjolnir-class WarShip
Posted Image

vs

one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Mercury-class Battlestar
Posted Image

Who wins?!
(Were I a gambler, I would bet of the Mercury...your thoughts?)

ROUND 03:
one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Dante-class WarShip
Posted Image

vs

one fully-crewed, fully armed, mint-condition Valkyrie-type (class unknown) Battlestar
Posted Image

Who wins?!
(While initially tempted to say the Valkyrie would probably win, this one seems much closer than the others...your thoughts?)

#500 Wulfbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNZ Auckland

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Its time to add a new group in to the race. It from the orgin of 3d gameplay.I like you to meet homeworld.
But first how big is the best ship in game. this is from homeworld 2.
Posted Image
VERY BIG.BUT WHAT ABOUT FIREPOWER. Sadly this is not the image but it a part of the game

Posted Image
that just the one of the mothership ships. But this is the main in homeworld 2 not the rest of them.
NOW IF THIS SHIP GOT NEAR YOU. YOUR DEAD BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE YOUR SHIP AND MAKE IT IT'S OWN. PLUS EAT YOUR SHIPS.
NAGGAROK

Posted Image

This ship is from the race later known as the beast.

IF you want to know more. Cilck on this link.http://homeworld.wik.../wiki/Main_Page

Edited by Wulfbane, 05 February 2012 - 02:30 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook