Time For Planets To Be Worth Something In Cw?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

So now CW 2.0 Beta is here. Yay. I know it will take years for the individual planets to have some individual character.... but can't we at least make them worth C-bills for for the faction/unit that is controlling them?

I mean they can't all be worth the same... if my unit captures or re-captures a planet all the members could at least get "c-bill income" for the days we keep the planet. And yes, some planets should be worth more than others.

So all I'm asking is for a little more "depth" in CW to make some strategy and decision-making elements for which path and planets the clans and factions take and defend. Would definitely make it more interesting than it is now... just saying.

#2 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

Fantastic idea...good place to start for sure.

#3 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

So push solo players out of a part of the game?

Why are units so full of this attitude that only they should get something from CW?

#4 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

I don't think it matters.

Keep in mind that you're trusting people that have no concept of what the lore or timeline are.....or Comstar would have been defending Tukayyid. Instead of trying to figure out how to explain the IS pilots are simply proxies for Comguard pilots, they just went ahead and declared that the IS houses were defending it. I suppose that kind of works, as long as Tukayyid isn't something important, like a proxy battle for Terra. You know, kind of the whole point why the Clans invaded in the first place and all.

I'm just saying that I don't have a whole lot of faith in people that can't even get that sort of thing straight trying to "add more depth" to the game.

That and, frankly, I'd much rather see them fix some really important stuff like the HSR, framerates, and the swappable ammo for the LBX ACs fixed before they hurt themselves trying to figure out how to run an economy.

#5 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

I think getting income is a bad idea at this time. This game doesn't have enough in it to give out too much more in c-bills. They will be able to max things out in the game far sooner and then there is nothing to do at that point. I think a better idea is to give some kind of match bonus for holding a planet that was won. That is, when the controlling unit fights on that planet they get some bonus buff at the end, like the hero and champion mechs give. Maybe not the 30% but some kind of a buff.

Now if there were things like your unit can buy extra turret installations or traps that slow enemies. Maybe buy extra arty strikes to use on an owned planet. Buff objectives HP's. Right now there doesn't seem enough variety on money sinks to work towards. You could buy defenses that other units can use. Would be interesting to see a pug group about to defend a planet and see a button "activate extra planetary defense measures courtesy of X Unit".

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 03 May 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

I think getting income is a bad idea at this time. This game doesn't have enough in it to give out too much more in c-bills. They will be able to max things out in the game far sooner and then there is nothing to do at that point. I think a better idea is to give some kind of match bonus for holding a planet that was won. That is, when the controlling unit fights on that planet they get some bonus buff at the end, like the hero and champion mechs give. Maybe not the 30% but some kind of a buff.
You don't have to change over all income. They can nerf.cbills.per match and add cbills per planet owned.

#7 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

That would affect everyone including casuals and people who prefer to be Lone Wolves. That's in regards to c-bills. However, give Units something to spend their extra c-bills for their benefit on the planet itself + a reward for holding the planet. Now there is a reason for unit coffers that were talked about in 2012.

#8 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

View Postztac, on 03 May 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

Why are units so full of this attitude that only they should get something from CW?

Why would that be the case if the rewards are at the faction level?

#9 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

Well my thought was that you only get income if you capture or re-capture (and hold) planets. And then it would go to the faction (which any PUG can join - so not trying discriminate but it is "Community" Warfare after all) and extra income to the unit coffer and/or members of the unit who get their name on the planet.

That way the emphasis is on capturing planets, not just holding on to the ones you have. Plus certain factions would start with a huge advantage if it was only a function of the planets you own when CW starts.

In fact the income wouldn't have to be only C-bills it could also include GXP, Loyalty Points, and MC.

In my mind it would add at least a bit of strategy to CW that it currently lacks...

Why have unit coffers if PGI wasn't thinking along these lines originally??

Edited by Jman88, 03 May 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#10 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

View Postztac, on 03 May 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

This is a team and unit driven game, CW even more so. If you are are solo player what does it matter to you if planets are worth soemthing you will never have your name on it anyway.

#11 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 03 May 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

Now if there were things like your unit can buy extra turret installations or traps that slow enemies. Maybe buy extra arty strikes to use on an owned planet. Buff objectives HP's. Right now there doesn't seem enough variety on money sinks to work towards. You could buy defenses that other units can use. Would be interesting to see a pug group about to defend a planet and see a button "activate extra planetary defense measures courtesy of X Unit".

I don't know... I've been playing for 2 years now and it seems like I can always use more C-bills! Want that mech... C-bills... double heat sinks... C-bills.... more modules... darn it not enough C-bills.... :) I think it would make the game more fun to pay if I could get enough of the modules I wanted... want that Clan-mech (18million C-bills!!) so I think you can't get too C-bill rich this game.

But I like your idea of being able to improve planet defenses with unit c-bills etc.

Or maybe be able to buy a dropship mod that can increase your drop deck by 10 tons for attack or defense. That's the kind of depth this game is totally lacking in currently... but I can only hope... :)

Edited by Jman88, 03 May 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#12 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:29 PM

They should have certain benefits to holding some planets due to the resources the planet possess. If a planet has a mech factory, such as Hesperus or Quentin, there should be some benefit to the faction that holds it. Maybe something like while a faction holds that planet, any mech variants produced by that factory count as 5 tons lighter in your dropdeck. If the planet produces dropships, maybe give the faction holding it a reduction of 5 seconds to how fast dropships arrive in CW matches. Also, many planets were important to factions due to being an important part of that states internal organization, like Robinson being the capital of the Draconis March for the Federated Suns, or Dieron being the capital of the Dieron Military District for the Draconis Combine. Maybe have such planets reward bonus LP for attacking/defending them due to their importance.

Edited by Tincan Nightmare, 03 May 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#13 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostJman88, on 03 May 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

Well my thought was that you only get income if you capture or re-capture (and hold) planets. And then it would go to the faction (which any PUG can join - so not trying discriminate but it is "Community" Warfare after all) and extra income to the unit coffer and/or members of the unit who get their name on the planet.

That way the emphasis is on capturing planets, not just holding on to the ones you have. Plus certain factions would start with a huge advantage if it was only a function of the planets you own when CW starts.

In fact the income wouldn't have to be only C-bills it could also include GXP, Loyalty Points, and MC.

In my mind it would add at least a bit of strategy to CW that it currently lacks...

Why have unit coffers if PGI wasn't thinking along these lines originally??

Sounds pretty awesome. In fact, it really wouldn't be all that complicated to base a multi-merc unit tabletop campaign around by adapting existing rules.

But, given the HUGE differences between TT and MW:O....I'm not real confident it can be done here. Or, more specifically, I'm not sure it can be done by the people that are currently doing it.

#14 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

I like the OPs idea.

I would like the idea that planets have special CW variant mechs for purchase, with different planets offering different mechs, if you hold the planet (at say, double the cost of a standard variant).

These CW variants have the same quirks and hardpoints as normal mechs but named like so PNT-9R (CW) & JM6-DD (CW).
The only difference being that CW variants give a 10% bonus to CW LP rewards.

This drives people to capture planets & is a Cbill sink for PGI.

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

I actually don't like the idea of a faction wide bonus for how well your faction is doing.

"Oh No! The Free worlds league took more territory from Laio, and now they get more money. Whelp, time to ditch this contract and leave Liao for the FWL."

Seriously, Liao has a hard enough time getting players, we don't wanna give more of em a reason to jump ship, we'll just get a player bloat in the already player heavy factions. Unit or even just straight up player based bonuses would be fine, but could also be harder to implement.

Now, granted, I don't have any good ideas of my own. Maybe PGI can make a hanging planet cockpit item that you get to stamp your planet name on? I 'unno.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 04 May 2015 - 01:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users