Can The Yen Lo Wang Get A More Culturally Appropriate Camo?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

Alright, so, I love my Yen Lo. Out of context, I even love the way it looks, so crisp and clean. But it's paint scheme is not even close to appropriate.

Yen Lo Wang is the CHINESE God of the Underworld. Its pilots, Kai, and Justin Allard were descended from Capellans, which is space-China.

So why does it have a Japanese rising sun motif? Just look at all the 'L' s involved... Kai Allard Liao, Yen Lo Wang... It is NOT Japanese. The Combine is space-Japan.

So, obviously you can't remove the old pattern, a lot of people paid for that mech... But, it really needs an alternate skin that is more appropriate. It's been bugging me since it came out :P

That's just my opinion.

There are a lot of things I'd like to see before this, but I do think it should be addressed at some point.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 05 May 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#2 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Agreed. Having a Japanese rising sun painted on a Chinese-themed mech is just not appropriate for any number of reasons.

A Chinese/Liao dragon or some other theme relating to the Chinese God of Death would be better.

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

I just repainted it black with a darker red sun, looks much more underworld.

#4 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:44 AM

cuz lore.

#5 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 05 May 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

cuz lore.

Alright, after reading that I did some searching, and yep... Sounds like it's lore...

I thought it was an oversight on the devs. But, now that I think about it... Perhaps it is incredibly appropriate...

The Japanese commited mass genocide against the Chinese.... Several times...

Yen Lo Wang, the God of Death/The Underworld... What better symbol could they make for the God of Death, than the flag that brought so much of it to them?

Perhaps... The original people who thought this stuff up, were cleverer than we give them credit for...

#6 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

That's what humans do, murder each other in droves for money or idiot religion or whatever.

#7 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

It's lore.

That being said, I painted my full black. I didn't mind the sunburst, it's just that it was way too conspicuous. Everyone instantly knew that I was an AC/20 ninja without having to target me and would shoot for my gun arm. Since painting it full black, I don't get shot at much at all, which makes my job of killing the enemy a sight easier.

I would recommend growing a thicker skin if the sunburst bugs you that much. I would recommend recoloring it just to improve your survival rate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users