Mariks Marines

23 replies to this topic

#1 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

I want to build up a semi-RP company. Looking for cohesion and discipline on the field.

Good radio etiquette and Vets preferred.

Also did some paint schemes, ill just put them here...

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Howdy,

Very nice job there.

#3 MMax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:08 AM

Is this a merc company? Or should it be an unknown regular unit? What about the history? The name seems a bit irreal for a regular house unit of House Marik, so I would recommend it to be a merc unit.
Just some ideas...

P.S. If you are looking for a cool name that really exist in House Marik, you should have a look on http://www.sarna.net/wiki/FWLM

Edited by MMax, 03 July 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#4 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for your sugestions :)

Although I could just be one of a plethora of unknown units, my goal is to play more along the lines of a merc corp that has a patriotic elegance to the house of Marik. I'm not looking so much for what would be deemed a canon name because frankly I get tired of wolves/bears/knights/hawk/shadow names. They are all good in the books, but they are in no way the be-all-end-all of the vast Battletech universe. Besides, with legit units like Marik Militia and Marik Guards, I dont think that "Mariks Marines" is that far off the mark.

As for history, my character was the son of a resource magnate on one of the insignificant border/periphery planets (I haven't selected a specific planet yet) Who's father was killed during a pirate raid. With few options at retaliation, he turns full control of his bequeathed mining company to a Marik provincial/state/territorial governor in exchange for a lance of older mechs and a short term preference on anti-pirating contracts in the province/state/territory. Recruiting began in an old tavern on said border world lending any other members of the group to adopt nearly any character they please. From there we work our way toward glory. As soon as the clans invade I'm sure our interests, as well as those of House Marik will shift to the new front.

Cant really go into much more detail as we aren't completely sure how those sorts communal/universe actions are going to take place.

#5 Marick Stein

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOkinawa, Japan

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I really like your symbol great job look forward to droping with you.

#6 WarDog420

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

nice work on your pics, looks good! B)

#7 Rofleupagus

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 67 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in yo' window

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

I see you with your 1st MarDiv =) At least tell me, you weren't a Hollywood Marine.

#8 Slapshot

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

I really like the image of the unit, I would love to join but I would rather be in a house unit than be a merc.

#9 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Slapshot: Thank You, but like I said, Im not sure how the two will play in game, its still up in the air, i may still decide to go house.

Rofleupagus: Insects don't make Marines, Mountains make marines. ;)

EDIT: Im drafting up some plans for a desk cockpit, maybe ill post construction shots once i get to production.

Edited by Wimmster, 07 July 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#10 RudeDogX

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTampa FL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Superb Artwork by the way

I would like to join a team play but first I must provee myself in battle -- been a while since i drove a Mech--been heavy into Battlefield 3

#11 DPain

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRaleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Marines - why does it have to be Marines?!? :P

IRL Units -

313 MI Bn, - 82nd ABN Div
SOTA 307 and TCAE 3rd SFG
102 MI Bn, 2nd INF DIV
732nd MI Bde

Inter-Service jokes aside - the art work looks good and so is the basic idea. To bad you are on the other side of the country...

#12 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

WARNING: Any Inter-service banter beyond this point ( . ) Is to be understood as pure jest... I have respect for my fellow brothers and sisters in arms... Even if they chose one of the easier branches. Nasties! :)

Dpain: Well Marik eagle aside, (which totally lends itself to a marine unit emblem) ;) Army never really fit the Mechwarrior role. I mean, think about it... We are transported through space in a ship and we make planet fall to establish a "beachhead" or raid an area. Oh ill give you that the army has made amphibious landings from time to time if needed, but hitting the beaches is pretty much line one in the Marine job description.
Bummer your on the other coast, I'd be glad to drop with you if we are both logged on.

#13 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostDPain, on 07 July 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Marines - why does it have to be Marines?!? :)

IRL Units -

313 MI Bn, - 82nd ABN Div
SOTA 307 and TCAE 3rd SFG
102 MI Bn, 2nd INF DIV
732nd MI Bde

Inter-Service jokes aside - the art work looks good and so is the basic idea. To bad you are on the other side of the country...

Yup semper Fi bro, but why Marik of all houses ?! lol

3rd LAAD BN 90-94.

#14 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wimmster,

We're on the same left coast, so I'm in. I need a group to hook up with as most of my regular friends are into other things. I've played every BT game, including TT, but my cockpit skills will be rusty (just a disclaimer) since its been 10 years for a MW game.

Marines, Army, whatever, I got family in both branches, and my son is at West Point as we speak, so its all patriotic good.

Drop me a PM and let me get some more specifics.

Xmador

#15 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostRofleupagus, on 05 July 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

I see you with your 1st MarDiv =) At least tell me, you weren't a Hollywood Marine.

Hey! I resemble that remark! /*stomps of and puts on sunglasses and shades...regulation of course :)

#16 DPain

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostWimmster, on 08 July 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

WARNING: Any Inter-service banter beyond this point ( . ) Is to be understood as pure jest... I have respect for my fellow brothers and sisters in arms... Even if they chose one of the easier branches. Nasties! :)

Dpain: Well Marik eagle aside, (which totally lends itself to a marine unit emblem) ;) Army never really fit the Mechwarrior role. I mean, think about it... We are transported through space in a ship and we make planet fall to establish a "beachhead" or raid an area. Oh ill give you that the army has made amphibious landings from time to time if needed, but hitting the beaches is pretty much line one in the Marine job description.

Bummer your on the other coast, I'd be glad to drop with you if we are both logged on.

Wait - Where exactly do you think "Death From Above" comes from? AIRBORNE!

Kidding aside, I rarely sleep anymore - (at least not without some good pain meds) so there is a good chance we can drop together. I just can't wait to kick this thing off! Put me in a Raven with at least one Catapult / LRM boat with me and it will be a long day for the other team...

#17 Oengus Braonain

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

Teufel hunden!!!

Love the emblem

#18 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Oengus : Oorah Devil!

Dpain: Ok, you get half a point, but I'll see your "Airborne" and raise you this 2006 Popular Science Article. http://www.popsci.co...y-marines-space Tip of the spear baby! First to fight!
Awesome to hear you like the scout role. I plan on piloting a Catapult in a CnC roll. Like IRL but, you know, with a Mech. Keep 'em spotted and we will dish a little "Shock and Awe".

Damn I'm getting all excited! Who here wouldn't have absolutely loved stomping around the Iraqi desert and jump jetting over those wadis. I'd be crushing bongo trucks like it was going out of style!

#19 DPain

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Blah blah blah - you know the Marines get send to Ft Benning for Airborne training right? The more I think about it, dropping a mech into combat is WAY more like and Airborne operation than taking a beachhead... They even have parachutes for not jump jet mechs... :) .

I plan on using the Raven as often as I can - with an Assault set up for the CnC as needed. GIVE ME MY BETA KEY!!!!!

#20 Wimmster

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostDPain, on 10 July 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Blah blah blah - you know the Marines get send to Ft Benning for Airborne training right? The more I think about it, dropping a mech into combat is WAY more like and Airborne operation than taking a beachhead... They even have parachutes for not jump jet mechs... ;) .

I plan on using the Raven as often as I can - with an Assault set up for the CnC as needed. GIVE ME MY BETA KEY!!!!!

Then we shall agree to disagree good sir. ;)

I'll just leave this quote right here.

[color=#232323]

"

[/color]
[color=#232323]

The

[/color][color=#232323]

surface of the Earth is the shore of the cosmic ocean. From it we have learned most of what we know. Recently, we have waded a little out to sea, enough to dampen our toes or, at most, wet our ankles. The water seems inviting. The ocean calls."

[/color]

[color=#232323][/color]

-Carl Sagan

And I second that desire for a Beta key... especially after that "An average day in beta" write up!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users