What do you think about...?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I recently conducted a poll asking people how long ago they got involved in Battletech. Though I didn't get as many responses as I'd hoped, the data was pretty clear. The vast majority have been involved for 11 years or more and most of them are mature individuals. How do you think this will affect the game, and will we get a lot of free players just out of diapers to screw things up when the open beta starts?

#2 Dax Frey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Well, like i stated in a recent post...the Neckbeards will agrue with the mouth breathers as to whom is the better fanboy. Then the people who casually enjoyed many a night of battling their brothers/neighbors/friends will step in and "leg" them. Tears will follow, and puppies will perish.

It wont be the newbs that get your panties in a twist. I can almost promise that. They will probably just be the brunt of your frustration. Maturity + internet + fanboy = reversion to 12 year old mentality that will surpass the casual annoyance the newbs will bring.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

We already did... :)

#4 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm worried about that, myself, because the twitch community may have a greater effect on beta than any of the rest of us would prefer to have, and we'll end up with just another MechWarrior 4 or Heavy Gun. I'm hoping our hosts will have no problem disregarding the non-BattleTech/MechWarrior crowd, but they may have to bow to monetary concerns, and even I recognize the twitch community is larger than the veteran community in this game, though it's close.

#5 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostGrugore, on 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I recently conducted a poll asking people how long ago they got involved in Battletech. Though I didn't get as many responses as I'd hoped, the data was pretty clear. The vast majority have been involved for 11 years or more and most of them are mature individuals. How do you think this will affect the game, and will we get a lot of free players just out of diapers to screw things up when the open beta starts?

Exactly what do you mean when you say "mature individuals"
:)

#6 Dioen

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

My first post,
I don't think we'll have much of a problem with children ruining things in beta. Even if there are kids they're only going to be exp boosts in robot meshes. Poor sportsmanship is most likely what's going to screw things up I've played CoD for 6 years and over 80 days of ingame time and I can tell you that there is no moral code and no compassion. See ya :)

#7 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 02 July 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm worried about that, myself, because the twitch community may have a greater effect on beta than any of the rest of us would prefer to have, and we'll end up with just another MechWarrior 4 or Heavy Gun. I'm hoping our hosts will have no problem disregarding the non-BattleTech/MechWarrior crowd, but they may have to bow to monetary concerns, and even I recognize the twitch community is larger than the veteran community in this game, though it's close.

I don't think you have to worry. The Devs have a vision for this franchise, and I do not think they will bow to pressure from the younger crowd. they have an experienced staff who knows what makes a great game. all the sniveling in the world won't change that. I think they would rather keep the veterans rather than the ones who will get bored with the game after a while and try something else.

View PostChillybill, on 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

I guess I mean people who no longer fear getting ID'ed when they buy smokes and alchohol. :)

#8 Alek Raynz

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

So far, I'm impressed by the maturity and civility of our community. I do expect certain demographics to appear during Open Beta, those whom I've nicknamed "WoW-tards" and "CoD-heads". WoW-tards are MMO PvPers, most though not all coming from WoW, looking for their next big rush. As in every other MMO beta I've participated in, they'll appear, lambast and complain about how the game does not fit their vision of an MMO (tab-targeting, face-rolling, holy-trifecta). CoD-heads are FPSers, also looking for their next big rush. They'll show up, lambast and complain about how the game fails to compare to CoD or BF3 or their other favorite FPS. Most will leave when they realize this game will not provide the playstyle they want. A few will be converted when they learn to enjoy the intricacies of piloting a walking death machine. The important part is that we hard-core MechWarriors need to welcome newcomers and teach them the ropes in the hope they learn to enjoy our game and stick around as worthy lance-mates and adversaries.

#9 Haldricht

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSunbury, OH

I suspect the Mechwarrior players will outnumber the Battletech players and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Mechwarrior players will likely mirror FPS demographics, ranging from the sort that coordinate well to the sort that just run around shooting. Battletech fans will include armchair generals raging against people that "just don't understand Battletech tactics" (e.g. Civil War-era tactics) and purists who can't believe PGI didn't offer some obscure unit's paint scheme or didn't have quite the right shape on some miniscule piece of a mech model, along with those that just love the setting and are looking for another way to enjoy it. As said above, new F2P players will be the least of our worries.

#10 CmdrSpider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

A lot of what happens between those who have lived and fought for the Innersphere and the clans will depend on how the game play is laid out. Random mixing of players for battle would certain lend its self towards a more chaotic battles. The formation of Lances and company's would allow for players to work with those they know and trust. My guess is both types of battles will be found in our new universe.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostChillybill, on 02 July 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Old farts.

Actual maturity has little to do with it, but it was nice of you to use the term. :)

#12 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Personally I can't see how they could screw things up. Sure they could complain alot or not take things seriously at all, but IMO we already have those types of people here. IMO the more people playing the greater the chances of this game lasting.

I am not a fan of Role Playing, but as long as lancemate/s are not severely limiting the team by RP'ing I have no problem with it. I have no problem with honor is someone chooses to follow that path, but I will step in if it means the only way of winning the match, more cbills are more cbills after all.

I can be a troll, but a majority of the times there is reasoning behind it, such as seeing how a thread can easily turn into a rage fest. If people pick me out I will just laugh it off and no harm done. Better that, than people getting their noses all bent out of shape.

I can see super serious people causing as much of a problem for the masses as someone just out of diapers too.

For me this is a game and will always be a game. I want to win but not at the cost of this game becoming no longer fun.

#13 TheSassySquatch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well, my hope is I won't hear a bunch of kids telling me what they did with my Mom...

#14 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well as far as old farts go if the shoe fits wear it, I think I was 38 or 40 when I played my first mech game, I am now approaching 55 and dang proud to still be on this side of the grass

#15 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostBIackice, on 02 July 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Well, my hope is I won't hear a bunch of kids telling me what they did with my Mom...

I agree, but I also find it satisfying when they break into tears when their own mother tells them they have to stop playing.

#16 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostChillybill, on 02 July 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Well as far as old farts go if the shoe fits wear it, I think I was 38 or 40 when I played my first mech game, I am now approaching 55 and dang proud to still be on this side of the grass

I hear you. I started playing back in 85 while I was in the navy. We used to go to the sail loft and have battalion strength games that lasted all weekend. They were epic.

#17 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostGrugore, on 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

beta

beta...pending... PENDING! SO MUCH PENDING!!!! *goes back to his corner*

Edited by Skadi, 02 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#18 Doctor Horrible

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Black

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I started playing TT in the 80's to compliment playing D&D. Didn't get to play much and stopped playing by the 90's. Was pleased with Mechwarrior 1-4 and have waited anxiously for a game like this to come along.

Graybeards, like myself, will most likely form the most lethal teams. **Wishful thinking** My son and his friends own me and all my "mature" friends usually. And from what I hear from guys at work and guys from around the globe, it's the same for them. Don't misconstrue that as complaining. I use this info as motivation to be the best teammate I can be because team plays always trumps a couple young jocks not playing cohesively.

#19 Darkflare

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

A long time, I played the old pencil/paper rpg many moons ago.

#20 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

I found the old Battletech boxed set buried on a shelf in a hobby store. The box captured my interest immediately and I prodded my dad into buying it and the old 3025 TRO.

Posted Image

Posted Image
My friends and I played every night for about 6 months, and then cut back to only 5 times a week. :)

That was 1986. My parents told me that I would eventually lose interest as I grew up.

26 years later, I am still a mech jock and complete geek, Take that mom and dad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users