Why Are Ppc's Still Horribly Ghost Heated?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

I am really curious why energy weapons the PPC in general are so screwed by the heat penalties?

i mean 4 PPC's on an awesome with 2x skills unlocked loaded on heatsinks AND the ppc heat quirks and it still can just BARELY handle shooting 4 ppcs. After that they are dead in the water for awhile until they cooldown.

All that for a 40 point alpha that is hard to hit with after about 400 meters unless target is stationary. Meanwhile In that same time you can fire 4 AC/5's enough times for the same amount of damage (more actually) and have zero heat problems. i know the tonnage is different+ the ammo required but you have to carry almost as many heat sinks as you would ammo.

I think it would be safe to up the ghost heat limit on PPC's to 3 fired before the penalty kicks in. That or lower their heat overall.

In general i really think its time to revisit the heat/ghost heat systems and fix some things. I could live with like an extra .5 seconds burn time if it would mean i don't over heat ever dishing out only 80-100 points of damage in a reasonable time frame.

Edited by Ph30nix, 06 May 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#2 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Cuz PGI and the playerbase is still in fear over the JJ/Poptart/GR/PPC meta....

Its stupid to keep the PPC so damn useless...but such as it is..

I think GH penalty should be lowered from 7 to 4. PPC dont need to be group fired, but in chain fire mode they should be better then they are really..more velocity, for ISERs less heat, 15 down to 12 would be good. FOr CLans, fit their paradigm, more damage, more heat, better range, so 12/15 or 13/15 would be good..

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 06 May 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#3 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 May 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

Cuz PGI and the playerbase is still in fear over the JJ/Poptart/GR/PPC meta....

Its stupid to keep the PPC so damn useless...but such as it is..

I think GH penalty should be lowered from 7 to 4. PPC dont need to be group fired, but in chain fire mode they should be better then they are really..more velocity, for ISERs less heat, 15 down to 12 would be good. FOr CLans, fit their paradigm, more damage, more heat, better range, so 12/15 or 13/15 would be good..

the slow speed of the ppc's already takes care of the poptart meta. If they want to keep them slow they should scale back some of the other nerfs.

#4 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 06 May 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

the slow speed of the ppc's already takes care of the poptart meta. If they want to keep them slow they should scale back some of the other nerfs.

IMO its the speed that holds them back the most......

#5 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 May 2015 - 06:03 PM, said:

IMO its the speed that holds them back the most......

one of the other needs to go. Either remove the heat penalties so we can group fire them effectively or increase the speed so we can chain fire them effectively. .

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 06 May 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

one of the other needs to go. Either remove the heat penalties so we can group fire them effectively or increase the speed so we can chain fire them effectively. .

Lower GH penalty, increase velocity, do both, for IS ER reduce heat to 12, for CERPPC increase dmg to 12 or 13, remove the 1/1 and splast...

PPC should be made effective. No reason they cant be. IMprove their collision so they stop colliding with air 10 feet away from objects on the map. JUst tonight on Bog I musta unloaded 100 dmg into air beside the trees and ****...

#7 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm waiting for someone to tell stories of the 6PPC Stalker and the QQ that ensued.

PGI has to please its playerbase. But the playerbase is always divided. Metafashion ebbs and flows.

#8 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

PGI is like that girl who is afraid to move too fast, lest she be labeled a...promiscuous woman. As to why their balancing happens at such a snail's pace? No idea...maybe they have limited inventory on PPC mechs and are trying to artificially drive down demand.

Posted Image

#9 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

View PostSergeant Random, on 06 May 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'm waiting for someone to tell stories of the 6PPC Stalker and the QQ that ensued.

PGI has to please its playerbase. But the playerbase is always divided. Metafashion ebbs and flows.

yes the dreaded 6 ppc stalker that was a one hit wonder before it had to wait about 40 seconds to be able to fire its alpha again.
mind you we have mechs now that can pull of almost the exact same damage with very little if any heat.
I am not saying they should remove penalties completely (it would be nice they are hot enough) but 3-4 ppcs at once should be possible without exploding (in a non quirked mech)

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:40 AM

Ghosts just love to haunt PPCs. True story.

#11 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:43 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 07 May 2015 - 02:40 AM, said:

Ghosts just love to haunt PPCs. True story.

Ooooh! I'm old enough to know Peter Venkman and Slimer!

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:01 AM

Dr. Peter Venkman: MWO is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions if ghost heat is lifted.

Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

#13 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:28 AM

Well, in a word:the community fussed so much that they nerfed it.
The community wasn't satisfied (read those who have no idea how to counter weapons and want all mechs equal) continued to whine.
Now, the clan ppc's are even more evil, white hot spitballs, or WHS should be the new name.
Thank the community for its current state.

#14 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostSergeant Random, on 06 May 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

It was really to nerf the noisy cricket.

The real complaining that I remember was about the 4 PPC stalkers. Better sustained fire, great hill humping weapon mounts, etc. You can still build them and fire in pairs, but they evaporated completely with GH.

I would rather see the PPCs keep their GH (though maybe lower the heat heat it generates) and give the awesome a quirk with a raised cap. Make the awesome the PPC boating monster it was supposed to be.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 07 May 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#15 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:05 AM

TBH, it wouldn't help PPCs much if they had no ghost heat.

Take the 4xERPPC WHK, for example:
It hardly matters if I shoot 2xPPC from one arm and 0.5 seconds later 2xPPC from the other arm (= no ghost heat) or if you could fire 4xERPPC all at once. The split pattern would probably even remain even if ghost heat was gone for aiming and cooldown alternation reasons.

The true problem of PPCs are the horribly low velocity that makes them useless at long range against any non-static target compared to ER Lasers.
Either that would have to be improved or damage per heat would have to be significantly better (like 15 damage, 10 heat). But that would make them overpowered brawling weapons.

Edited by Paigan, 07 May 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#16 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:17 AM

with one exception about speed of shot, all I'm seeing is lots of cry I want my ppc meta back.

Nothing at all that would actually make this game better for everyone, just I want to alpha PPC again, just get over it and chain fire like I do

#17 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:28 AM

My arguement is actually the opposite Cathy. I've got little to no problem hitting things with it (except those pesky Firestarters). My issue is that they are so damned HOT that even my Warhawk, a Dedicated PPC Boat by Lore, cannot fire more than a single volley before I need to implement cooldown procedures.

#18 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:43 AM

Because gameplay looked like this for about 2 years and PGI couldn't find a solution that didn't involve a sledgehammer.

Posted Image

Edited by Alistair Winter, 07 May 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#19 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:43 AM

I was thinking of my Warhawk Prime, I don't use it much 70 games, its virtually unchanged from stock, and I'm running at 2.42 kd averaging 392 damage, all of which were pug matches, I engage around the 350-600 mark

You can't brawl with it, but then its a mech thats not designed to brawl.

But its like a lot of things in the game, I hate the JJ nerf, because it screwed up my Victor brawlers, I never poptarted, yet my game play was spoiled, and the mech ruined by those that made the game dull with their play style.

On a personal level I can't stand the nerf but on a game level its made it better, I think ghost heat was a bad way to go, but lowering the threash hold, while a better way for many, would be bad for new starts because they would blow up faster, and we would retain newbs even less frequently, while bringing back the fregency of full energy alpha's.

you still can alpha PPc's but less frequently

I leave this here

#20 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:41 AM

A Moduled and Quirked Awesome-9M has these bonuses specific to the erPPC.

+35% Range = +1000m optimal
+25% velocity = 1312m/s (faster than a AC5) or do they suck for speed too?
-25% Heat = 11.25 (fire 3 with no additional penalty)
-27% Cool Down = 2.90s

So for erPPC fire the AWS-9M would be the go to Mech, but of course no ones want to drive the 9M because.... reasons.

Even the 6 LL Stalker doesn't get to fire more than 2 volleys without having to implement Heat based protocols (otherwise knows as take your GD twitchy trigger finger off the trigger for just a moment) ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 07 May 2015 - 05:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users