The Catapult K2

10 replies to this topic

#1 TLX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

At the moment, i have the 1A but i prever the K2 and im going to buy it when i can,this is how i want it:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab62204ff368d6b

What are ur thoughts???

Edited by TLX, 16 May 2015 - 11:44 PM.

#2 xDust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

There's no way in hell you can even try to burn through 6000 rounds of MG ammo with just 2 MGs.

For comparison, I kept my Blackjack Arrow in its stock config with 6 MGs, and I can count the number of times I've actually burned through its 6000 rounds of ammo on my fingers. I can usually get through 3000 by the end of a decent match, 4000 being a little less common.

If I've burned through 6000 rounds, I've either managed a lot of 1v1s, a lot of small fights with one or two teammates, aimed for stripped components, or took on one or two assaults after their armor was stripped. And this all requires being within 200 meters for the entire length of the trigger pull.

The Blackjack is a small, agile medium compared to a Catapult. And its position is to hang around teammates so it doesn't get the attention of the enemy.

Two small lasers and MGs just spells death for a Catapult if you're going to fight in those ranges. And if you haven't adjusted the armor values, you should.

I recommend piloting the trial Spider SDR-5K(C) if you want to try MG combat. Even just in Testing Grounds. Sit in front of a mech and hold the MGs right in front of it so you can figure out what exactly MGs act like. I did that before I bought the Arrow. It took 1000 rounds to burn through a Cataphract's front armor (about 70 points) and another 200-500 more to kill it after the armor was gone. 4 Machine Guns. That was about 10-15 seconds of constantly facing a non-moving target.

(The numbers may not be exact for my testing time, but it gets the point across. Don't commit to MGs if the mech can't commit to MGs.)

Edited by xDust, 17 May 2015 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Mauadib

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...42b2601472d2c80

I do this with mine, though I probably should drop the slas for more ammo.

#4 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

The annoying thing is that the quirks are only for the regular PPCs which don't do damage below 90m,

The machine guns and small lasers would do nothing for defense. Their only use would be for mop up if your team is winning at the end of the round.
I would trade the machine guns and small lasers for double medium pulse lasers + another heatsink. CPLT-K2

If you put endo on it, you can do the following CPLT-K2
Instead of using PPCs for long range, you can use double A/C 5, you can switch between more ammo or more heatsinks. You'll also be able to use the A/C 5s within 90 meters unlike the PPCs.

#5 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

Heya TLX! I saw you in one of the matches earlier - can't recall if you were in a K2 Catapult then, though!

Anyways, aside from what xDust, Mauadib, and Moldur have said, here's what I got:

First off, the MGs and small lasers are honestly useless. You don't want to be caught below 90 meters in a PPC-centric build like yours, and you should use the speed of the XL 315 to reposition as needed. If you do get caught in those ranges, two small lasers and two MGs won't save you from whatever it is that's in there.

Secondly, here are two more options for you, besides above-mentioned:

First, you can swap the MGs, their ammo, and the Small Lasers for a Large Laser, a Medium Laser, and some heatsinks. Like so. It's bound to get hot, but I suppose you already expected that. The burn time, however, you're gonna have to get used to. Group 1 PPCs, Group 2 LL, Group 3 ML. Alpha at 270 m, focus on poking at 450 m or so. Group 4 might be reserved for chainfire PPCs.
You can swap the ML and heatsinks for a second LL, or maybe use ERLLs instead (same tonnage), but that will be hot.

Second, you can do the PPC/AC-5 combo. It will cost you C-bills for Endo-steel, though. Like this. The Medium Lasers, as before, will be only for backup. The PPCs will arrive earlier than the AC-5, that's a consequence of the quirks unfortunately, but otherwise they sync pretty well.

As an additional note, you can also try the dual-gauss K2, or the dual-AC/20 K2. Both require a different engine, though.

Good luck, take care, and see you on the battlefield, TLX!

Edited by Questia, 17 May 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#6 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:31 AM

my suggestion is to go ballistic heavy, or energy heavy, or somewhere therein with a focus on one, MGs are nigh a waste of tonnage for the CPLT's and how the XL works, PPC min range is 90m, Smalls and MG have an optimal range of 120 so trying to work 30m is not going to be easy, my suggestion is to dump the smalls and MG, maybe a smaller engine, and take Twin PPC+ac/5 or larges and ac/5.

personally i run dual gauss with an XL255 to great success, but this mech is way better suited to ranged battle, with it's high mounts and semi-narrow frontal profile.

Edited by zudukai, 17 May 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#7 TLX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostQuestia, on 17 May 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Heya TLX! I saw you in one of the matches earlier - can't recall if you were in a K2 Catapult then, though!

Anyways, aside from what xDust, Mauadib, and Moldur have said, here's what I got:

First off, the MGs and small lasers are honestly useless. You don't want to be caught below 90 meters in a PPC-centric build like yours, and you should use the speed of the XL 315 to reposition as needed. If you do get caught in those ranges, two small lasers and two MGs won't save you from whatever it is that's in there.

Secondly, here are two more options for you, besides above-mentioned:

First, you can swap the MGs, their ammo, and the Small Lasers for a Large Laser, a Medium Laser, and some heatsinks. Like so. It's bound to get hot, but I suppose you already expected that. The burn time, however, you're gonna have to get used to. Group 1 PPCs, Group 2 LL, Group 3 ML. Alpha at 270 m, focus on poking at 450 m or so. Group 4 might be reserved for chainfire PPCs.
You can swap the ML and heatsinks for a second LL, or maybe use ERLLs instead (same tonnage), but that will be hot.

Second, you can do the PPC/AC-5 combo. It will cost you C-bills for Endo-steel, though. Like this. The Medium Lasers, as before, will be only for backup. The PPCs will arrive earlier than the AC-5, that's a consequence of the quirks unfortunately, but otherwise they sync pretty well.

As an additional note, you can also try the dual-gauss K2, or the dual-AC/20 K2. Both require a different engine, though.

Good luck, take care, and see you on the battlefield, TLX!

U seen me earlier??? Two weeks ago??? Because im not playing since my laptop has been broken,and that was two weeks ago. And maybe u seen me in a catapult A1,the only one variant i have at the moment,with a pair of lrm 10 + artemis. After máster this i will buy the K2. Maybe u have seen me in the TLxB account that ive played with my sisters computer,and with a Locust 1V,but im not played right the match when i go with 8 fps only,so ive played the match only for test.

Edited by TLX, 17 May 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#8 TLxB

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

This is the Locust account,im not lieing.

#9 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

I have a K2 myself, most of the time I have run the Dual-Gauss as suggested earlier. You don't even have to switch to double heat sinks, as the Gauss-Cat run pretty cool.

Right now, I piloting my K2 like this:

K2 Laser Vormit

Yes, still single heat sinks, but that is just because I am too lazy to upgrade to double heat sinks and get bigger reactor that can hold more of them. My Laser-Cat still runs pretty cool if you know fire discipline. I also recommend arm lock and use 2 Large Lasers of each side into a weapon group.

#10 TLX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

What do u think about this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...719340010724709

Ive replaced the small lasers for médium.

#11 Ixidor Dinne

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPlanet Arkab, Buckminster Prefacture

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:25 AM

Critapult

I run this guy alot, almost always get 2-3 component destructions. You have to wait it out abit till the action gets going, then find targets that are wounded or engaged and hit and fade. Do not try to go toe to toe, more often then not you will lose.

Edited by Ixidor Dinne, 21 May 2015 - 12:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users