Crimson Strait. How It Could Be Changed For More Variety.

48 replies to this topic

#1 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

Why Crimson Strait? Why not Alpine, Caustic, etc?
Spoiler

I want to discuss how the Crimson Strait map could be changed to allow more attack routes and thus get more variety to our matches on it.

Keep in mind that i'm not suggesting all of these changes to the map.
They are just a bunch of alternatives and changing the map in these ways would not make the map less epic.
They would just give more alternatives to attack routes.

Posted Image

First off how about a valley going over the mountain (it's roughly marked in green) that does not demand JJ's to climb between F4 and E5?
This would make the E3, F3, F2, D5 and D6 sectors more active.

Line in red is a tunnel going between E4 corner and D5.
The exit in the E4 corner could be on top of the platform or below it. Maybe even both.

The area marked in yellow which the E4-D5 tunnel goes through could be an underground bunker for the city defence forces.
With buildings inside where we can brawl.

Dark blue line going from C4 to C5 is another tunnel. Exit could be under or on the platform
The area marked in brown is another place we could have an underground bunker.

Light grey line is the current tunnels.
Light blue line would be a tunnel that goes from the E4/D5 tunnel to the current tunnels.

Edited in some stuff.
Spoiler

Edited in even more stuff.
Spoiler

If a huge number of you show an interrest in these suggestions i will make a poll in the Feature Suggestion part of the forum.
I refuse to let it be buried and forgotten there like my Solaris, AC2 fix, Binary Laser and who knows how many other suggestion threads.

So what do you think?

Edited by Spleenslitta, 13 May 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#2 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Moving that docked freighter up towards C3/C2 could also make the water less of a death sentence and maybe allow flanking moves over the island by more than the occasional suicidal light.

I agree that a southern alternative to the pass could also help with opening the eastern half of the map to more action. Would prefer the eastern exit somewhere around E6 though, so it does not end right beside the pass. Anything that helps break up the usual chase around the mountain...

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

Crimson is actually a map I feel does things pretty right.

Fights are often at the 2 tiered dock, but often...
*They spill out into the city at C3
*Take place in the tunnel at C4
*Behind the tunnel at B4 due to flanking
*Saddle at D4/D5

Even fights break out at sniper point at D2

I really think Crimson is one of the better map designs. Maybe Crimson is the best in the game to date.

I'd leave it as is.

#4 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Crimson is a pretty great map. Shuffling the spawn points between a few more spots from time to time would help, as might opening up the valley from F4 - E5 for some versions of the map.

That freighter has always bothered me, because the water in the harbor is too shallow for it to make it to the dock when loaded.

#5 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

View Postgeneralazure, on 08 May 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

Moving that docked freighter up towards C3/C2 could also make the water less of a death sentence and maybe allow flanking moves over the island by more than the occasional suicidal light.

I agree that a southern alternative to the pass could also help with opening the eastern half of the map to more action. Would prefer the eastern exit somewhere around E6 though, so it does not end right beside the pass. Anything that helps break up the usual chase around the mountain...

Noted on both points. Especially on the too shallow to allow the freighter to dock that Malleus mentioned.
Give me some more pointers and i'll add them to the map.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 May 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

I really think Crimson is one of the better map designs. Maybe Crimson is the best in the game to date.

I'd leave it as is.

It is indeed one of the best maps we have in my opinion too. But nothing wrong with discussing how it could be improved upon.
The F1-2-3 and E3 is barelly used except if someone tries to hide in the later part of the match.

Another way through the mountains would fix that somewhat.

#6 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Remove the big ass hill in the middle. Add city along the ridges. The Harbor, make it ALOT bigger, extend it into the water. Remove that big island out in the middle. Add more Cargo ships and shipping containers on the harbor. Add warehouses on the harbor. What is that upper level even for? remove the Saddle. Instead expand the Railroad, add some trains and stuff. The big empty hill across the saddle, add buildings or trees or something there as well. THere is alot of wasted space on alot of PGI maps.

Atleast judging by that River City redux they are starting to do something about that.

#7 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

I like removing the big island from the harbor, or at least making it smaller and the harbor much deeper. I mean, look at that map. Would *you* want to con your multi-million C-Bill container ship into that tiny harbor on a dark and stormy night? Better have your insurance paid up.

Adding a lot more container ships in the harbor would be awesome as well. Cover, obstacles, platforms to JJ onto ... good stuff.

I don't mind the big mountain or the intermodal cargo platform; the whole thing makes sense as a port/rail node except for the water depth. I'd enjoy it if the southern pass (lined in green) wasn't out-of-bounds for no apparently reason.

I think a lot of PGI maps could be much improved by simply adding more and more spawn location sets as time passes. A map as big as Crimson could have a LOT of spawn options - all three lances together, two together one isolated, all isolated, spawning east-west vs north-south. I wish they'd do this with more maps, but they tend towards inflexible map designs that channel players into the same battle zones. (CW is this on steroids ... all tactics in CW are the same tactic).

#8 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 08 May 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

Remove the big ass hill in the middle. Add city along the ridges. The Harbor, make it ALOT bigger, extend it into the water. Remove that big island out in the middle. Add more Cargo ships and shipping containers on the harbor. Add warehouses on the harbor. What is that upper level even for? remove the Saddle. Instead expand the Railroad, add some trains and stuff. The big empty hill across the saddle, add buildings or trees or something there as well. THere is alot of wasted space on alot of PGI maps.

Atleast judging by that River City redux they are starting to do something about that.

Do you mean the hill in B3 or C4-5 mountain?
It's true that something more spread out cover could be better if your talking about the mountain. We just gotta explore the options.

Right now we tend to run around big things we cannot climb and thus Nascar matches happen.
Maybe a lower mountain that is climbable by mechs without JJ's. With buildings on the sides.

But that might become a fortress which would intensify the action in that area by a lot. So my idea might not be good on second thought.
Maybe a series of small hills/rocks and smaller buildings instead?

But i really truly love the idea of containers and a train. The train would take time to model so the containers should definitivly at least be there first.

View PostMalleus011, on 08 May 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

I like removing the big island from the harbor, or at least making it smaller and the harbor much deeper. I mean, look at that map. Would *you* want to con your multi-million C-Bill container ship into that tiny harbor on a dark and stormy night? Better have your insurance paid up.

Adding a lot more container ships in the harbor would be awesome as well. Cover, obstacles, platforms to JJ onto ... good stuff.

I don't mind the big mountain or the intermodal cargo platform; the whole thing makes sense as a port/rail node except for the water depth. I'd enjoy it if the southern pass (lined in green) wasn't out-of-bounds for no apparently reason.

I think a lot of PGI maps could be much improved by simply adding more and more spawn location sets as time passes. A map as big as Crimson could have a LOT of spawn options - all three lances together, two together one isolated, all isolated, spawning east-west vs north-south. I wish they'd do this with more maps, but they tend towards inflexible map designs that channel players into the same battle zones. (CW is this on steroids ... all tactics in CW are the same tactic).

If the island was made smaller we would have space for containerships, tugboats and maybe some platforms out in the water.
Maybe the big containership could be docked to the island with a bridge connecting the island with the mainland in F2 or B2.

A dock for the smaller ships to load stuff in the trainyard platform. Either way all that empty water is unecessary.

I'll alter the map tomorrow. It's midnight here.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 08 May 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#9 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 May 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Crimson is actually a map I feel does things pretty right.

Fights are often at the 2 tiered dock, but often...
*They spill out into the city at C3
*Take place in the tunnel at C4
*Behind the tunnel at B4 due to flanking
*Saddle at D4/D5

Even fights break out at sniper point at D2

I'd leave it as is.

This.

I also often get fights in the C/D[5-6] square, and they are some epic games. Really Crimson is probably one of the best-designed maps in the game with regard to number of options and emergent play. I'd say it ties with Tourmaline.

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 08 May 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Do you mean the hill in B3 or C4-5 mountain?
It's true that something more spread out cover could be better if your talking about the mountain. We just gotta explore the options.

Honestly, I mean both. I hate the nascar effect on alot of the maps, or how so much playable space is wasted to useless obstacles. I would flatten that mountain, add roads up to a much shallower hill, put buildings up ther and stuff. THen the smaller hills on the other side, flatten them out, add more buildings and roads. Make Crimson a big city that expands across ALOT of its space. I would even expand the city out to the east? the side that has a road going out into nothingness...I would add more buildings alongthat side. Maybe make the Bridge a huge elevated incline bridge...like the broken one on River city that leads to the Atlas in TG....rather then just a flat road to no where.

Then where the Saddle is now, put a suspension bridge across the gap, below it, an expansive Intermodal/dock yard with multiple warehouses and the like. Expansive city along both ridges.

#11 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

Random spawn points - this map has both sides funneling to the exact same place every game. if you make the map big enough you could have off-setting spawn points which might involve using only one half of the map at any given match

for example if there was a spawn at A2 and the enemy at B6 you could have a great city battle in a different part of the map other than the car park.

#12 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hmm... well, I'd certainly like to add more to the area of E4 / E5 / E6 | F4 / F5 / F6.

Underground would be fine, but at least being able to go around and use that rectangular area would be nice.

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

I don't like Crimson Strait very much, because the huge mountain smack dab in the middle really limits your options. In 90% of the matches, it feels like the fighting takes place near the platform as you defend from saddle or tunnel / epsilon. Basically, if saddle is clear, then the east team will attack platform from the tunnel-side. Usually, the team on the platform side will hold platform, because this is to their advantage if the other team pushes saddle.

It's too predictable.

But I don't think a big number of tunnels and a new canyon as a "second saddle" would help very much. The It seems to me that the fighting would still take place around the platform, and the best way to avoid this would be to do something about that huge mountain at the center of the map. If they just chopped off the top and middle part of the big mountain and put a lot of buildings on a flat surface, while keeping the tunnel bemeath them, this would probably be my favourite map.

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

If you chop the mountain, then it just becomes another "hold the mountain" game like Alpine.

The way Crimson is set up now, it's very easy to force the other team to move off of the platform in any game mode. On skirmish, all you need is a UAV. On Assault, all you have to do is make a play (or feint) on the base. In Conquest, just cap around it.

These options are all so accessible that even PUGs use them. You get a lot of games that are fights for the platforms, but I'd peg those at around 60% of all Crimson matches. The rest are all over the place, and it's awesome. Alpine, by contrast, is 90% for the mountain, because the alternatives are somewhat obscure to people who don't spend unhealthy amounts of time thinking about it like some of us do.

I don't want Crimson to be like Alpine

#15 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

I've always thought the D5 pass is stupid because if you approach from the ~C7 spawn area then you are guaranteed to come across the entire enemy team, and if your whole team doesn't push together with you then it's pointless.

That is stupid and should be fixed, what's the point of having an approach like that if it's only viable from 1 side 95% of the time?

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 May 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

If you chop the mountain, then it just becomes another "hold the mountain" game like Alpine.

The way Crimson is set up now, it's very easy to force the other team to move off of the platform in any game mode. On skirmish, all you need is a UAV. On Assault, all you have to do is make a play (or feint) on the base. In Conquest, just cap around it.

These options are all so accessible that even PUGs use them. You get a lot of games that are fights for the platforms, but I'd peg those at around 60% of all Crimson matches. The rest are all over the place, and it's awesome. Alpine, by contrast, is 90% for the mountain, because the alternatives are somewhat obscure to people who don't spend unhealthy amounts of time thinking about it like some of us do.

I don't want Crimson to be like Alpine

That wouldn't be as bad if both teams had an equal approach to the mountain; the biggest reason why the mountain in Alpine is so dumb is that the team spawning closer to it can just easily climb up the back of it and take the position in less than 2 minutes.

However, I'm not sure I like that idea either because it would likely make the rest of the map largely irrelevant similar to how it is with Alpine and I don't want to see that either.

Edited by Pjwned, 08 May 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#16 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

Making the rest of the map irrelevant was what I was getting at. There are actually so many better holding positions on Alpine, like the entire cliff behind the city, the hill containing the radio tower, or the outcroppings near where center cap point is on Conquest, but the mountain at I9 is the most obvious, which is why it gets used. It really doesn't have much to do with one team spawning near it, people would go for it regardless...just like they go for the center on Terra Therma (though that location does let you control the map by dramatically shortening time to travel to any other location).

#17 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

Most of this map is already irrelevant in a game of Skirmish / Assault. It has roughly 40 grids, and the fighting inevitably takes place around 4 of those grids in almost every match, unless something crazy happens, which is rare.

The platform is so critical, it would be nice if there was some other place on this map worth fighting over.

#18 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 May 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

Making the rest of the map irrelevant was what I was getting at.

Well, it could possibly be done in such a way that wouldn't happen...maybe; I don't really know how though.

There are actually so many better holding positions on Alpine, like the entire cliff behind the city, the hill containing the radio tower, or the outcroppings near where center cap point is on Conquest, but the mountain at I9 is the most obvious, which is why it gets used.

All those other points are not as easily accessible as the I9 mountain, have less cover, and are more vulnerable to flanking attacks, so no it's not just "it's the most obvious part of the map."

It really doesn't have much to do with one team spawning near it, people would go for it regardless...

People wouldn't go for it nearly as often if they didn't have such an easy approach every time; if they couldn't easily all climb up the back and had to go around the mountain to climb it then many would find other places to fight instead.

just like they go for the center on Terra Therma (though that location does let you control the map by dramatically shortening time to travel to any other location).

There are different reasons for rushing the center in Terra Therma, like you said, and also it's not a position where (unlike Alpine) 1 team is heavily favored over the other in reaching it.

I would also like to note that when Skirmish mode didn't exist and capping bases in Assault was something that actually happened ever aside from when the entire enemy team is stomped first, the center of the map in Terra Therma was not so overwhelmingly important; it's still not overwhelmingly important in Conquest because of the base objectives by the way.

Edited by Pjwned, 08 May 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#19 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

View PostPjwned, on 08 May 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

All those other points are not as easily accessible as the I9 mountain, have less cover, and are more vulnerable to flanking attacks, so no it's not just "it's the most obvious part of the map."

Wrong or uninformed on all counts.

#20 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

Having more underground action wouldn't be a bad thing, and having the existing tunnel be a + instead of a T (having another exit on the opposite side of the mountain to the middle door, perhaps around c5) would make the tunnel a very interesting part of the map.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users