Crimson Strait. How It Could Be Changed For More Variety.

48 replies to this topic

#41 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Good idea. Hmm...maybe add an industrial town outside about 1 kilometer away from the Thunderdome.
That way we would be drawn to 2 places to fight in. Make the matches less predictable.

People dont like walking around on terra therma. The whole reason they go to the center is because the center is the fastest way to get to any other part of the map.

Terra therma naturally funnels players to the center so adding a town on the outskirts of the map isnt going to make people want to go to the town. The center is where the action is going to take place and its the center that needs to be made more interesting to fight in.

The same thing applies to crimson straits; crimson straits revolves around the raised platform in the center. Adding a military depot to a remote part of the map isnt going to fundamentally alter the way the map is played. It will just be another part of the map that isnt visited.

The area around the raised platform is where the majority of map changes need to be made. Namely adding more cover in the water to allow flanking across the water and adding a second mountain pass to make gameplay less stagnant when teams are on both sides of the saddle. Another positive change would be making the tunnel/underplatform less of a deathtrap by adding train cars to use as cover. Possibly add a fourth way into and out of the tunnel too.

Edited by Khobai, 11 May 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#42 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostKhobai, on 11 May 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

The same thing applies to crimson straits; crimson straits revolves around the raised platform in the center. Adding a military depot to a remote part of the map isnt going to fundamentally alter the way the map is played. It will just be another part of the map that isnt visited.

The area around the raised platform is where the majority of map changes need to be made. Namely adding more cover in the water to allow flanking across the water and adding a second mountain pass to make gameplay less stagnant when teams are on both sides of the saddle. Another positive change would be making the tunnel/underplatform less of a deathtrap by adding train cars to use as cover. Possibly add a fourth way into and out of the tunnel too.

It does revolve around the platform and i agree on the cover out in the water. I didn't add them to the map, but i was thinking small platforms and smaller boats out there.

But if we added the E4/E5 underground bunker the platform would have a bigtime competitor.
It's close to the center, has loads of entrances and buildings inside to make it interresting.

BTW. Each day the picture i put in the original post breaks and i have to fix it again. What's up with that?

#43 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

I would remove hills that break the town in two parts, it would become a good urban combat map.

#44 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostEvilCow, on 11 May 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

I would remove hills that break the town in two parts, it would become a good urban combat map.

Ok. That's new. Remove both hills.
I'll add it to the list of next things that can be done in the next update of the original post.
Can't add it to the map though. Just text but the more i think about it the more i like the idea.

Maybe 2 maps just because this would be such a huge change.

#45 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 11 May 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

At least you cannot say i gave a halfhearted answer to your question why.

Excellent reasons :)

#46 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

This map already has lots of variety depending on where you want to fight. City? Check. Platform for cover with tunnel? Check. Snipe wars from platform to city? Check. Snipewars from platform to hills across water? Check. Snipewars from city to hills? Check.

I think it's okay compared to like... Caustic or Alpine.

#47 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 12 May 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

Excellent reasons :)

Phew....if i couldn't convince you with that i would have been backed into a corner with no idea what to do other than keeping my yap shut or acting the fool. XD

View PostElizander, on 12 May 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

This map already has lots of variety depending on where you want to fight. City? Check. Platform for cover with tunnel? Check. Snipe wars from platform to city? Check. Snipewars from platform to hills across water? Check. Snipewars from city to hills? Check.

I think it's okay compared to like... Caustic or Alpine.

There is opportunity for variety but there are some areas that rarelly sees heavy combat.
Please read post #38 on the previous page. I convinced ShinobiHunter with why i picked this map to discuss with that one.

#48 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 12 May 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Phew....if i couldn't convince you with that i would have been backed into a corner with no idea what to do other than keeping my yap shut or acting the fool. XD

There is opportunity for variety but there are some areas that rarelly sees heavy combat.
Please read post #38 on the previous page. I convinced ShinobiHunter with why i picked this map to discuss with that one.

While some places aren't as used as others (and one spawn is only fought over if it's assault or you're killing an AFK) at least in solo queue puglandia I still find myself fighting at the places that I mentioned. While it's true that improvements can be made (losing a lance to B4 cause they didn't join the other two at the bottom) and something to break the stalemate at saddle which doesn't require circling the entire map to flank I just think that other maps need help way more before this one.

I think that Alpine and Caustic need help first because of the sheer lack of cover. A commando with nothing but Narc can win you the entire game there. Everything else, while having a lot of negative possibility space, at least has a battle area with proper cover.

I don't mind if they do fix up this map eventually though so discussing ideas for it is fine.

#49 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostElizander, on 12 May 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

While some places aren't as used as others (and one spawn is only fought over if it's assault or you're killing an AFK) at least in solo queue puglandia I still find myself fighting at the places that I mentioned. While it's true that improvements can be made (losing a lance to B4 cause they didn't join the other two at the bottom) and something to break the stalemate at saddle which doesn't require circling the entire map to flank I just think that other maps need help way more before this one.

I think that Alpine and Caustic need help first because of the sheer lack of cover. A commando with nothing but Narc can win you the entire game there. Everything else, while having a lot of negative possibility space, at least has a battle area with proper cover.

I don't mind if they do fix up this map eventually though so discussing ideas for it is fine.

Alpine and Caustic might need help first but it's as i said in post #38-

-I got no ideas for Therra Therma, Viridian Bog, Mining Collective, Tourmaline Desert, Caustic Valley or Canyon Valley so i didn't choose one of them.
I didn't choose Alpine Peaks, Forest Colony or Frozen City because PGI probably already have rough plans for them since they put them in that poll.

I got ideas for HPG Manifold though but not nearly as many as Crimson Strait.
That was longwinded of me but now you see why i made Crimson Strait my choice for this thread.

Besides. I think the fact that Crimson strait could be last map that receives improvement is a good reason to discuss it right now.
Why?

Let's say we come up with loooooads of ideas and put it in a poll in the feature suggestion part of the forums.
And it takes a long time for Crimson Strait to be selected by PGI for improvement.
The longer the time it takes the more votes will be in the poll and the more ideas we will have for improvements.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users