Select A Mech - Dynamic Portraits

33 replies to this topic

#21 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:38 AM

I do like MUB's idea though. Visual queues are always welcome. I wonder what the performance hit would be like if it loaded just the ones that were visible at the time. Like scrolling through your Facebook notifications, Google Images etc.

#22 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

Actually, we already have our mechs with pictures in our profile. Unfortunately, they're not dynamic, and they're also -private-. This has always bugged me.

If PGI were to implement this local render technique (and I really wish they did, I absolutely abhor the list view), they could also either 1) upload those pics to a -public- player profile page (for show off, which they should realize by now is a beneficial marketing tool) or 2) generate this pic separately on the MWO server for the same purpose. Uploading would take bandwidth, generating directly on the server (possibly even in multiple resolutions) would take a bit of hardware usage, but would be immune to things like crashes (and the best variant, IMO). Especially if they store player data on a server separate from those hosting the matches.

And just imagine how cool it would be if people would start sharing pics of their customized mechs to friends!

#23 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

Well, if it is server-side I vote for showing those during match startup. To see the team as a grid. Just because why not and it is the way to sell camos effectively. :)
Plus seeing boats at a glance. Some minor thing, but I think it'll add something to that boring minute waiting the last one to connect.

#24 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

1.) Keep the mech grid, add renders of our mechs like suggested here.

2.) Let users toggle between the grid, and new list view. = Everybody happy.

#25 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 11 May 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

Well, if it is server-side I vote for showing those during match startup. To see the team as a grid. Just because why not and it is the way to sell camos effectively. :)
Plus seeing boats at a glance. Some minor thing, but I think it'll add something to that boring minute waiting the last one to connect.

Even during match startup you could generate those images locally - your game client already knows what mech they have. I'm sure there'd be plenty of time in that 30 seconds count down to create them. Downloading them from the next would just create extra server load and be slower.

#26 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 11 May 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Even during match startup you could generate those images locally - your game client already knows what mech they have. I'm sure there'd be plenty of time in that 30 seconds count down to create them. Downloading them from the next would just create extra server load and be slower.

The even easier to have it, no?

#27 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 11 May 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

The even easier to have it, no?

Yep, but something has just occurred to me. If these images are generated locally, then the PC creating them has to be able to actually render them in high enough detail or they won't look good.

Some people run MWO on potato computers, and as a result either the render will take a long time (if trying to render HQ settings) or the render will output an ugly portrait. It's definitely can be worked around, but it's a hurdle worth mentioning.

#28 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 11 May 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Yep, but something has just occurred to me. If these images are generated locally, then the PC creating them has to be able to actually render them in high enough detail or they won't look good.

Some people run MWO on potato computers, and as a result either the render will take a long time (if trying to render HQ settings) or the render will output an ugly portrait. It's definitely can be worked around, but it's a hurdle worth mentioning.

Then let's leave this to devs to decide what and how, but ask 'em to implement it.

#29 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

No reason to over complicate things, the render does not have to be very high resolution as it is just a thumbnail. While a thumbnail gallery of the mechs on the team would be nifty, it strays from the original point of a personalized log of your mechs to ease quick selection.

#30 Arctur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMinsk, Belarus

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 11 May 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

The issue with your list Op is the network traffic.

Ok, here is the easy non-traffic way.
Just to make a player to load custom picture instead of standart one at local client.
I illustrate it:
Posted Image

#31 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

Cute, but that actually complicates things further.

Local rendering, at the user's OWN settings, is likely the best way. Yes, even for those with potato level PCs. Adding extra loading time would just annoy people further and make them ostracize the low-end players even more.

It's a thumbnail, it doesn't -have- to be high quality (and since it'll be small, you likely won't be able to tell if they're boating lasers or not). What it'll do is show the chassis and overall colour, which is good enough (looks prettier than right now and helps recognize teammates). Keep the high-quality renders server side on the player profile, for social purposes.

#32 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:01 AM

View PostXphR, on 11 May 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

While a thumbnail gallery of the mechs on the team would be nifty, it strays from the original point of a personalized log of your mechs to ease quick selection.

Well, no. If devs will decide to not implement these new mech icons then there is no point in creating grid overview of the team mechs for there is no sense in seeing those small always general and standard pics. Once again, this is more social and camo selling feature.

#33 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 12 May 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

Well, no. If devs will decide to not implement these new mech icons then there is no point in creating grid overview of the team mechs for there is no sense in seeing those small always general and standard pics. Once again, this is more social and camo selling feature.

Actually, well yes.
While it would be nice for social and camo selling if used in the multiplayer lobbies, the OP was intended to aid in the quick identification and selection of mechs from ones own personal stable.

#34 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:55 AM

View PostXphR, on 12 May 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

Actually, well yes.
While it would be nice for social and camo selling if used in the multiplayer lobbies, the OP was intended to aid in the quick identification and selection of mechs from ones own personal stable.

Nobody argues with that. :)
Brilliant idea and it will be good if it will be implemented.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users