Why Pgi Should Say Why People Are Banned From The Game.

232 replies to this topic

#201 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

That is one of the contributing factors here. They rose from obscurity to winning that contest in that video in a short period of time which led to some accusations like the one I quoted above that are basically "comp players mad that unknown came in and rekt them".

When really, the video speaks for itself. Adding to the situation was a well known and liked (even by PGI) streamer/uploader was trying to white night for said player.

I get that. But rising from obscurity and "well known comp" seem to be two different things. SO IDK what's going on. Cheaters should be banned, period though.

#202 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

I get that. But rising from obscurity and "well known comp" seem to be two different things. SO IDK what's going on. Cheaters should be banned, period though.

Pretty sure they were talking about the amount of talk that video started on Reddit while that player was proudly pronouncing themselves as the best player in MWO. By the time the ban hit she was indeed "well known".

Edited by Kain Thul, 12 May 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#203 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

I don't think there's really a problem with naming and shaming ModeratePudding as the scrub who got caught seeing as PGI have already done this in a round about way.

#204 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Yeah it isn't exactly "name and shame" when anyone can look up her profile and see what it says. Hell, look at how many views it is getting right now.

#205 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Would it even be considered Name and Shame if the person Named has a perma banned account?

#206 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:10 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Yeah it isn't exactly "name and shame" when anyone can look up her profile and see what it says. Hell, look at how many views it is getting right now.

meh. Cheaters gonna cheat. Unless they ban the actual IP, I'm sure we'll have a second helping.

#207 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

meh. Cheaters gonna cheat. Unless they ban the actual IP, I'm sure we'll have a second helping.

True--this one will probably be back as well just with a much, much lower profile.

#208 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 09 May 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

I think posting a list of banned cheaters might stop some percentage of people from cheating. That to me is worth it.

Really not in their self interest to bad people for no reason.

Nothing will stop a cheater from cheating.

It's not a shame thing. It's a self respect thing. Cheaters have no self respect and they value winning above what other self respecting people push for.

There will always be a small section of people who prefer the short cut for whatever reason (they feel entitled, put upon, 等等). Get rid of them and forget it. I just hope the overall community stops seeing cheaters in everyone as often times if we lose it's because we got beaten by someone playing better. The mission for us who value ourselves and what we can do is just pushing until we get better.

#209 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

True--this one will probably be back as well just with a much, much lower profile.

maybe initially. Ego that has that type of swagger (or just that dumb?)? Gonna need to try to strut again.

#210 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

maybe initially. Ego that has that type of swagger (or just that dumb?)? Gonna need to try to strut again.

At least any time in the near future while this is still fresh she would be recognized in the TS of quite a few units.

I believe that any cheater that gets the permaban is going to go come back for sure though, if nothing else just to "win" vs the moderation.

Edited by Kain Thul, 12 May 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#211 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

At least any time in the near future while this is still fresh she would be recognized in the TS of quite a few units.

I'm sure there are a few noted units that would embrace her. Probably a reddit hero with the anti-PGI crowd.

#212 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 May 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I'm sure there are a few noted units that would embrace her. Probably a reddit hero with the anti-PGI crowd.

The Reddit discussion on this matter gave me quite the opposite impression--the few people trying to white knight and end the conversation were getting flamed pretty universally.

Edited by Kain Thul, 12 May 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#213 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Not by IP.
A serious ban should consider the window serial number.

#214 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

Even banning the IP is meaningless, as in many cases simply rebooting your modem (or at worst, leaving it off for a day or two) will cause your ISP to dynamically assign you a new IP when you reconnect. This is why dynamic dns services are so popular - they use a client on your PC to keep your domain name updated, as your IP address can change, sometimes regularly.

They do say that they ban all a users accounts, not just the cheating account. Presumably, they simply ban all the accounts accessed by that particular client (pro tip, boys: Don't share a PC with someone cheating in online games if you like playing them).

#215 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 11 May 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

This world would be better off if people would delete that phrase from their vocabulary. I'm tired of political correctness.

It's funny, the people who always love to complain about this seem to be the most outspoken and insensitive bigots in normal conversation. Perhaps you wouldn't need to shout down people over use of a phrase if you didn't necessitate its use so much. Self absorbed cynicism is far more tiring, after all.

#216 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 12 May 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

It's funny, the people who always love to complain about this seem to be the most outspoken and insensitive bigots in normal conversation. Perhaps you wouldn't need to shout down people over use of a phrase if you didn't necessitate its use so much. Self absorbed cynicism is far more tiring, after all.

I see it more as we are the type that will not be swayed from saying whatever we want out of fear of the PC police.

#217 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

I see it more as we are the type that will not be swayed from saying whatever we want out of fear of the PC police.

Exactly, you want to be an insensitive, entitled jerk with no repercussions. Otherwise you wouldn't have to be so outwardly defensive in conversations like this in which it isn't even relevant. ;)

#218 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 12 May 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Exactly, you want to be an insensitive, entitled jerk with no repercussions. Otherwise you wouldn't have to be so outwardly defensive in conversations like this in which it isn't even relevant. ;)

"Entitled"?? I would call the ones looking to silence others to be the ones seeking "entitlement".

#219 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 09 May 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

He clearly took about a half second to steady his shot, that must be the slowest aimbot of all time. He VERY CLEARLY moves his aim too far and has to recenter it on target.

Also nice gif of that aim jitter bug that's still going around. I get that too sometimes, had it a few times today, it's still quite annoying. That gif might have even been me.

And of course spectator mode is just the perfect tool to tell who is cheating, because it NEVER goes wonky and shows odd things, right?

All you people are doing by advocating name and shame is trying to sate your own sadistic revenge fetish against perceived cheaters(hint, they almost never are, you just want to believe that you aren't such a scrub). Again and again you cast false accusations everywhere and prove exactly why what you're doing is so wrong; you can't even identify real cheaters, and instead you repeatedly name and shame innocent people who didn't do anything wrong other that destroying your scrubby ass. Get out of the dark ages and grow the hell up.

Hey, you stuck up for the cheater. LOL.

False accusations my ass.

#220 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 May 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

"Entitled"?? I would call the ones looking to silence others to be the ones seeking "entitlement".

Oh, you mean like this, the post you originally jumped to defend?

View PostMister Blastman, on 11 May 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

This world would be better off if people would delete that phrase from their vocabulary. I'm tired of political correctness.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users