Commander Slot In Drop

6 replies to this topic

#1 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

Drop command can be very concentration consuming which lowers the effectiveness of your own mech. Obviously you can compensate this with skill/experience but it will always affect you especially if two equally strong teams meet e.g. in CW.

That's why i propose the follwing:

Add a 13th player slot to a drop which acts as commander during the drop.
The commander can select any mech which qualifies as a command mech (e.g. command module fitted or special mech attribute).
The commander has two options how to contribute:
1.He can stay on the tactical map much longer and get a much better overview of the situation. Therefore he can focus on coordinating pilots without the need of controlling a mech at the same time.
2.He can jump between the alive mechs in the same way as dead players.

As soon as the command mech he selected is destroyed be can select any other mech which qualifies as a command mech in game.
If no (more) command mechs are available he should be reverted to a default screen from which he cannot gain any information of the battlefield.

At the end of the drop the commander should get a certain percentage of the reward of all players.

There should be two options how to become drop commander:
1.A 12 man premade can invite you as a drop commander.
2.Add a new "drop commander" queue to both PUG and CW which only appears after you have won e.g. 100 games with option 1. This should ensure at least a little bit that you have proven yourself as drop commander and that others have repeatedly confirmed that.

Probably this feature would also require some changes to the tactical map and also adding a new view for the commander in terms of company status overview (damage taken, ammo left).

Edited by Antares102, 11 May 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#2 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

Command Console? That is one use I proposed for the Command Console back in 2013 over 2 years ago now.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

I've long fantasized about a 13th player slot in group queue games (and now cw) with a Mech Commander interface in gameplay. Exactly like Mech Commander 2.

Obviously, players wouldn't be forced to do anything, but your movement waypoints and targets would be indicated on their HUD.

The Mech Commanders view of enemy mechs would rely entirely on sensor data from his teammates. If they don't have sensor contact, the enemy mechs are not drawn for the commander... Though if they have visual contact, they could report it.

This would free the drop commander from actual mech piloting, and allow him to focus entirely on his job.

In CW, you could extend that to allowing the DC to direct drop ship deployment locations too (within limits of course)

Ahhhh, the fantasies.

#4 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 11 May 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

Command Console? That is one use I proposed for the Command Console back in 2013 over 2 years ago now.

I guessed that somebody already proposed this.
See it just as an emphasize of your idea.

#5 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

The battlegrid could really use a few upgrades to make it a worth while tool.
Then having a dedicated commander makes more sense.

Another option, instead of the commander linking in with another mech is to have a stationary command post that they operate from which can be attacked and destroyed.
Few bonuses from doing it that way as well.
ie. Scouts suddenly have an in game objective.
Would want to be able to 'place' it somewhere on the map to keep things less predictable.

#6 yerDEAD

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:56 AM

Hey,

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. This is the perfect setup for the Command Console mechs. It doesn't have to be too complicated - the 13th man chooses a command mech at the start ie. DDC, or BLR and has a better battlegrid to work from. If that mech is destroyed - no more commander ;) The battlegrid needs a bit of an overhaul as well - should be a drag and drop type movement from the left side of the map, not this click to activate, click to place stuff. Drag the icon from the left side and drop it where you want. Points may be clicked and dragged from the map itself as well.

We've come so far from the early days ;)

yD

#7 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

I'd love to see this in MWO. We could put tags on ourselves that says a lot about our playstyle. For example.
I tag myself as an light mech allrounder skirmisher capable of hiting at all ranges.
We could have symbols for JJ's, ECM and all that other stuff along with a symbol indicating whether we have short/medium/long/mix range weapons.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users