I Haven't Patched In A Year, What Do I Need To Know?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

Title speaks for itself. I know CW exists now (yay), but my unit is gone (sadface). Any significant changes in the actual combat mechanics that I should be aware of?

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Quirks. You'll want to read up on them.

#3 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

do a fresh install of the game, otherwise the patching process might take several hours. there was a recent back end change to patching or something that rearranges how files get patched. plus a whole year of patch data on top of that.

as far as core mechanics go, its the same. put the + and the o on the red triangle and LMB RMB to victory.

oh and there are clan mechs now

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

Hey Kobold, I remember you. Welcome back.

uhh, something new...Hmm. The AC/2 heat scale was removed.

#5 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, that http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ght_innersphere

Also, don't patch, just reinstall since it's quicker.

#6 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

patch is already well into going, no point to stop it now.

#7 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostKobold, on 11 May 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

Title speaks for itself. I know CW exists now (yay), but my unit is gone (sadface). Any significant changes in the actual combat mechanics that I should be aware of?

The game functions exactly the same way it did before.
The differences can be summed up in buff/nerf cycle.

Edited by Applejack, 11 May 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#8 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostApplejack, on 11 May 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

The game functions exactly the same way it did before.
The differences can be summed up in buff/nerf cycle.

So what are people boating these days?

#9 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

View PostKobold, on 11 May 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

lasers

#10 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostKobold, on 11 May 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

anything

#11 DubBucket

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

I was just thinking of playing some too. I think we were active around the same time, but it's probably been closer to two years since I was in to it. "Quirks" are the biggest change?

#12 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

I love that nobody in the first ten posts even mentioned Community Warfare, the very feature that people were trying to sink the developer over NOT implementing.

Yeah, let's just ignore that.

Course, it would help if the gamemode was more fun...

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 11 May 2015 - 06:28 PM.

#13 DubBucket

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 11 May 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

I love that nobody in the first ten posts even mentioned Community Warfare, the very feature that people were trying to sink the developer over NOT implementing.

Yeah, let's just ignore that.

Course, it would help if the gamemode was more fun...

Maybe it doesn't need to be said? I don't know, but it's the only reason I'm even thinking about playing again.

Why isn't it fun?

#14 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostDubBucket, on 11 May 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

Maybe it doesn't need to be said? I don't know, but it's the only reason I'm even thinking about playing again.

Why isn't it fun?

On one hand, it's 48v48 done in four waves; you get to take a dropdeck of four mechs into a match and respawn three times before being out. And your victories allow you to claim planets on the Inner Sphere persistent map.

On the other hand, the gamemode is tower defense mode revolving around canyon play and two chokepoints. This makes the gameplay repetitive really fast. PGI shies away from wider maps because they're worried about funneling new players to the action quickly, but it also creates a lot of boredom in Chokepoint Warfare. At least on my part.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 11 May 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#15 DubBucket

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 11 May 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

On one hand, it's 48v48 done in four waves; you get to take a dropdeck of four mechs into a match and respawn three times before being out. And your victories allow you to claim planets on the Inner Sphere persistent map.

On the other hand, the gamemode is tower defense mode revolving around canyon play and two chokepoints. This makes the gameplay repetitive really fast. PGI shies away from wider maps because they're worried about funneling new players to the action quickly, but it also creates a lot of boredom in Chokepoint Warfare. At least on my part.

Did a little digging and it looks like people agree with you. Damn, Community Warfare is still THE thing I want to work well in this game. The Mech combat was already really good, I just wanted a reason to fight.

#16 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Reinstall
you will be reinstalling anyway with that long of a timespan the repair part of the patch will be over 500 megs.

Edited by SaltBeef, 11 May 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#17 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:21 PM

Some stuff people like to gloss over because spreadsheet are more fun-

Lasers got a huge HSR fix. Depends on your ping and overall connection quality, but lasers are generally the most reliable weapon right now. combine that with being easiest to use, and the overwhelming majority of "serious" players run them.

Clans, well, people say the autocannons suck, but they have bad HSR. So again, if you have a really solid connection, they might be just fine for you. My connection is poor, so pulse lasers(because the duration+pulse count) work best, and other things like multishot ballistics and LBX etc, LRM- they are less reliable.

SRM also got a huge fix for detection, not sure if that was a year ago yet or not.

PPC got velocity nerfs, matches AC10 now. Bad players cry they are too hard to hit anything with now, and moved on to EZPZ laser barf. Mostly PPC have the same HSR as they always have, so occasionally they sail clear through targets. Again, you will have to try them to see for yourself.

LOTS of new mechs most of them are good. Resistance pack mechs are all solid. Clan wave two, now that some have gotten quirks, not too bad. the light and medium mech in that pack were terrible, but after some durability quirks you can make them work.

Urbanmech. have to pay real monies for it yet. It was designed well.

CW, well, if you join a new unit you might get into a match. it is generally not friendly to pugs, mostly because of the wait times to get in, AND matchmaker DOES NOT seperate solo and groups like in the normal modes. 12 mans on comms against some trial mech pugs is always a bad deal. they are working on it constantly, and it is improving all the time.

if you want more info, you will have to be more specific. A lot has transpired in a year. oh, IGP was bought out and PGI runs the whole shebang if you hadn't hear. it has been 100% better here since.

#18 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:34 PM

PGI is still focusing on new mechs and actual development progress, while it has picked up some speed, is still about what a student could do in his spare time. This is because the real developers are working on another project.

#19 HammerForge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostEldagore, on 11 May 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

CW, well, if you join a new unit you might get into a match. it is generally not friendly to pugs, mostly because of the wait times to get in, AND matchmaker DOES NOT seperate solo and groups like in the normal modes. 12 mans on comms against some trial mech pugs is always a bad deal. they are working on it constantly, and it is improving all the time.

Eldagore did a nice sum up, but just wanted to add one thing to the quoted section, if you don't want to join a unit, there is a looking for group option, use it to group up with other pugs or not a full 12 person group, especially in CW. As Eldagore said, the wait times for pugs not in a group of 12 is crazy.

#20 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

I am impressed at the lack of negativity this thread has displayed. Well played gents/gals. Well played.

And welcome back Kobold and DubBucket.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users