#242 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 11 May 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

It's so weird that only one player in the entire playerbase is banned and publically labelled a cheater after these super advanced cheat detection tools have been implemented, and not because a completely embarassing witchunt erupted

so weird

You think they were JUST IMPLEMENTED? Boy have you got this backwards. That's like saying the SWAT was JUST established every single time there's a big crackhouse raid.

Sure they go through tweaking every time some scumbucket finds an exploit, but such is the flow of the fight between hackers & programmers. These tools have ALWAYS been in place.

Posted Image

#243 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 11 May 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

probably atago

whatever floats your boat :P

#244 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

Can the use of third party software like Mumble, teamspeak or even skype apply in your "cheats"?

Probably not, but I want to be sur.

#245 TopRay

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostRepasy, on 11 May 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

:o Apologies, but I'm unclear as to what you are trying to say, could you elaborate?

sorry i tried to quote your response and it didn't turn out right.
what i was trying to say was that i agree that requesting the details is highly suspicious but also if read carefully it appears to be an acknowledgment that third party tools were indeed used.

"Can you please outline (and be explicit) how you were able to detect the third party tools in question?"

Edited by TopRay, 11 May 2015 - 10:33 PM.

#246 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostKuroNyra, on 11 May 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Can the use of third party software like Mumble, teamspeak or even skype apply in your "cheats"?

the only way to be safe is to communicate through ICQ, homie

#247 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

If something flagged any of those, that would say something about any security software, not just an anti-cheat. I'm sure everyone would be that much more confident in a particular ban, too. I'm aware that some anti-cheat, I don't remember which since I didn't use the software it flagged and didn't play the game it was for, might have, at some point, flagged some VOIP's overlay since there was a cheat known to the anti-cheat that used the same hook as the VOIP's overlay and it failed to recognize the false positive. So you're safe.

Edited by Coordinator Aigis Kurita, 11 May 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#248 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostModo44, on 11 May 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

Security by obscurity isn't.

That is the point if they were detailed then people would know how to work around what they are doing defeating the purpose of trying to do it in the first place they just can't!

#249 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

View PostTopRay, on 11 May 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

sorry i tried to quote your response and it didn't turn out right.
what i was trying to say was that i agree that requesting the details is highly suspicious but also if read carefully also appears to be an acknowledgment that third party tools were indeed used.

[color=#959595]"Can you please outline (and be explicit) how you were able to detect the third party tools in question?"[/color]

Ah, I see. In that case I concur. He might as well have worn a shirt that says "HAX'R'US! Come spectate ME!"

#250 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Nope. They don't modify memory, or the game files.

#251 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

Outstanding post. Thanks PGI!

#252 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:41 PM

View PostAn Anime Princess, on 11 May 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

probably atago

Very good.

#253 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 11 May 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

Very good.

#254 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 11 May 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

That is the point if they were detailed then people would know how to work around what they are doing defeating the purpose of trying to do it in the first place they just can't!

If they gave details, they would have to do something about it. They are trying hard to not talk about the gaping security hole that is sending the entire match state to every client all the time.

#255 Hobotorius Augustus Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

View PostModo44, on 11 May 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

If they gave details, they would have to do something about it. They are trying hard to not talk about the gaping security hole that is sending the entire match state to every client all the time.

I think one of the main issues may be staff turnover related where the person who may have wrote that flaw in by mistake is gone now after the split with IGP and as a result it will be like combing a haystack for a needle when you don't know for sure what a needle looks like - pure speculation on my part of course.

#256 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostModo44, on 11 May 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Oh yeah in that case they could do what FF 14 does and say how many people have been banned for said action but not give the exact names "Real Money Transactions for Gil Ingame currency was not allowed" like say x ammount recieved a ban for Real Money Transaction and x ammount recieved a temporary ban for participating in Real Money Transaction.

But thats only an example of FF 14 not this game.

#257 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

As a user, I really could not care less about PGI's turnover. The software has known, deep flaws. Instead of talking about fixing them (in this case: limiting the dataset each client gets from the server), the developer is hiding behind an empty "we will try to detect better" message. Well, the problem has clearly already been detected and exploited by a third party. What now?

#258 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 11 May 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

That's actually the opposite of the point he was making.

#259 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 11 May 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

That's actually the opposite of the point he was making.

No need to point out the obvious I could always delete it. I thought I was making a logical statement there but no he didn't want the technical details he wanted the details on how they are going to approach right?

Edited by Whatzituyah, 11 May 2015 - 11:01 PM.

#260 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

View PostSereglach, on 11 May 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

This . . . just . . . wow. For one, there's plenty of middleware to sniff out cheaters/hackers. For two, RSI (Star Citizen) is another game being built on the CryEngine and they've also stated that there's already a TON of tools to help them prevent cheating, and they plan on squashing it every time it comes up. Therefore, your statements about CryEngine are already debunked from official sources.

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 11 May 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'd really like more information about what forms of hacking they're addressing and how they're doing it, so I'm going to go look this up now.

I spent a few minutes searching. Your confidence in Star Citizen doesn't seem to be shared by the posters in this thread, dated December 2014; indeed, they also seem to think that CryEngine games have historically been particularly insecure, with statements like

But this thread is very legitimate. The CryEngine is a bit known for being... very open to cheats. And i'm not talking about account related stuff. I'm talking "press button -> receive 10.000 rare materials". Just look at ArchAge.

At the current state of my knowledge of the cryengine, scripts will be the least of our problems.

However, you have backup. There's a poster who sounds rather like you, asserting that because they said things will be ok, things will be ok, in spite of the engine's history, and that they will fix problems.

https://forums.rober...icheat-programs

As well, I think Star Citizen, being a spaceship game (a genre I am not familiar with), means that (limiting ourselves to the kind of hacks that would provide an advantage in MOW) subtle hacks to gain unfair information, such as knowledge of enemy positions and composition, likely offers a distinctly smaller advantage than similar functionality does in MWO. Something more blatant, like using an aimbot for your cupola, could be a problem in that though.

The other thing I found was an interview dated 2012, which contains about as much actual information regarding cheat countermeasures as your boy in that thread offered.

I would be interested if you find something that has more information.

Edited by Coordinator Aigis Kurita, 11 May 2015 - 11:09 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users