587 replies to this topic

#401 AimBot EXE

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAlberta, CA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

imo they should name and shame these players, doing so will show the community that they are actively hunting cheaters and taking action, just telling us that some one got banned shows nothing, it could of been for racial insults or name calling and not for cheating, but how will we know??
just the first couple of months of people getting caught would be enough to stop most people from cheating as they wouldnt want to lose their investment in the game as they will see that PGI are taking an active stance against cheaters. as it stands with the level of cheating going on in game, they stand to lose more and more people each month as quiet covert action against cheaters has little effect on pacifying the masses, where loud open action pleases the masses and shows commitment to the cause, giving players more reason to stay in the game

#402 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

The highlighted portion needs explaining. How can this be possible in a server-authoritative environment, where the server itself has a copy of the terrain? Or does it not have a copy?

Could have been a glitch, but I've had this happen to me. Someone was shooting me through a hill/rock. It was months ago, but I remember going "wtf?". I had assumed it was a glitch...maybe their arm/weapon was poking through the wall on the other side of the terrain which allowed them to shoot through it. And maybe someone else had me targeted which is how they knew where I was. But then again...maybe it was some kind of cheat. In any case that was the only time I've seen that happen.

#403 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostEgomane, on 12 May 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Please show me one gaming company that showes evidence to the public whenever they ban a player for cheating.

Please explain to me how that is in any way just, especially in a high profile case like this one.

#404 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 12 May 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Still waiting on PGI to provide substantive evidence of wrongdoing

The Space Pope has consulted his Magic 8-ball and it has replied: Very doubtful.

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 12 May 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Please explain to me how that is in any way just, especially in a high profile case like this one.

While we as players might love to be privy to all the reasoning behind a decision, ultimately, we really don't have much of a right to any such information. PGI in this case were willing to reveal the reason for the ban, which in itself is a quite remarkable turn of events.

As several posts in this thread have pointed out there a number of reasons why PGI has little interest in sharing how they catch cheaters or what steps they took to do so (perhaps the best argument for that would be counterproductive to publicly reveal any flaws in any sort of software that facilitates cheating that ultimately resulted in said person being caught).

Of course, you can disagree with all those reasons and subscribe to the idea that this is some PGI and Illuminati scheme to discredit an "honest" player, but honestly, at if that is your belief, then why believe anything posted here at all? Certainly, at that point the Space Pope wouldn't trust even a step by step analysis of the ban.

However, do not let the Space Pope dissuade you, question everything, do not trust anyone, those are fine phrases to live by in this life. ^_^

Edited by The True Space Pope, 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#405 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

GJ PGI and Thank you.

To everyone else, if many are looking forward or want a Known Ban list and aren't allowed to do a Name and Shame post. There is nothing to say that a fan/player site lists them with a screen shot of their official forum status.

Its not defamation of character if they've already been convicted and found guilty.

#406 Jack Spade Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 432 posts
  • LocationEarth

View PostK19, on 12 May 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

The your errors will not also cheating. and softwere errors that do not play that well and others we seem to cheating?

What????

#407 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Not in this thread. It was here. And which is why I asked you in another post whether the decision to ban was based on the same match shown in video. That rock was small enough to allow a player to shoot the enemy as he came out of either side. The decision to ban must/should have been based on another match or matches.

It's based on the same set of match, but Beef cut away scenes that made it very obvious that the player was cheating. The matches in their entirety are on Ardai's twitch stream.

#408 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

high profile

.....I think my brain just laughed itself out of its chair.

#409 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

This is similar but interesting. In this case a guildwars 2 player was caught cheating. This is what the Lead Security dev did and posted. Its a clear case of a dev making an example out of a cheater.

http://www.polygon.c...er-banned-video

#410 AimBot EXE

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAlberta, CA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostEgomane, on 12 May 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Please show me one gaming company that showes evidence to the public whenever they ban a player for cheating.

Wargaming.net the russian side of the company posts usernames monthly of those caught cheating.
the NA side of the game used to as well but recently stopped

#411 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 12 May 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

It's based on the same set of match, but Beef cut away scenes that made it very obvious that the player was cheating. The matches in their entirety are on Ardai's twitch stream.

That's good to know. Thanks.

#412 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 12 May 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

Still waiting on PGI to provide substantive evidence of wrongdoing instead of egging on a witchhunt over the video game equivalent of the Zapruder film.

The ego on display here is astounding.

Edited by Harathan, 12 May 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#413 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Are you planning to start a crusade against the online gaming industry?

#414 Vassa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

Glad to hear you caught a cheater. I hope you continue to expend the resources necessary to catch more.

#415 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

View Postrolly, on 12 May 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

To everyone else, if many are looking forward or want a Known Ban list and aren't allowed to do a Name and Shame post. There is nothing to say that a fan/player site lists them with a screen shot of their official forum status.

Do it! Just do not expect to be allowed to advertise the site on the MWO forums.

View PostFrakkedup, on 12 May 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Wargaming.net the russian side of the company posts usernames monthly of those caught cheating.
the NA side of the game used to as well but recently stopped

The request I answered to wasn't for names but for evidence. There is no company that I know of, that provides that kind of information.

#416 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostAppogee, on 12 May 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

I can't fathom how lame someone would need to be to cheat at this game, frankly.

View PostSoulstrom, on 12 May 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Really? People take the time to cheat. It is a free game, what could you possibly gain from cheating?

There are people with such low self esteem that their only sense of accomplishment comes from seeing their name on a leaderboard.

#417 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

An actual ' Banned Because of Cheating' list would actually be useful, because right now it looks like only one person was smeared with PGI's own Scarlet Letter after the community worked itself up into a self righteous frenzy.

If they actually had proof that they banned multiple people for cheating, it would at least look less like they just claimed that their magic tools found a cheater to calm all the people out for blood and frothing at the mouth.

#418 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 12 May 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

If this is true, Beef has lost a lot of credibility in my books. :( If he knows that it's happening, he shouldn't be covering for it. And if he's doing that....well, I hope he's not cheating too. His vids are fun, and he looks like he's dropped a lot of money on the game.

Although I imagine after this that anyone who was cheating won't be now...at least for a while. It will be interesting to see if the matches get any easier in the next few days.

#419 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 May 2015 - 06:39 AM, said:

No, just how hard is it to play a damn game how it is supposed to be? Are people too inable to click buttons? If you need this small edge to probably be better than others, thats quite sad. Especially when after this they even claim its about "skill" while that job was even done by an assitance LOL.

Well, it should be noted that for those of us who run ballistic boats (4x UAC Jag, 6x AC2 Jag, 6x AC2 DWF, etc...), using the macro for RAPIDFIREAWESOMESAUCE mode is simply a workaround for the fact that attempting to rapidfire a single, chain fire-enabled, group of those same 6x AC2s DOESN'T WORK like it does with lasers.

With, say 6 lasers in the same weapon group, and chainfire enabled, they fire as fast as you can click (great fun), but for ballistic weapons (at least at the time I last played, pre May 5th patch) this method doesn't work.

So, calling out people for wanting to do something that the current build of the game cannot do, isn't really fair.

Edited by xeromynd, 12 May 2015 - 12:16 PM.

#420 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

The highlighted portion needs explaining. How can this be possible in a server-authoritative environment, where the server itself has a copy of the terrain? Or does it not have a copy?

There is a graphics glitch that does this on the PC client side. The glitch has been patched for a while now, but an exploit can cause it on purpose. (For whatever reason, the local PC code renders the terrain and determines if line of sight / line of effect is blocked. I suspect this is for performance reasons.)

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users