587 replies to this topic

#441 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 12 May 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Great minds discuss ideas seeking resolution and peace.
Mediocre minds discuss events seeking a cause.
Lesser minds discuss people seeking to blame.

We know which category the PGI haters fall into.

Ah yes, twist quotes so that asking for accountability and transparency from a company with a history of shady practices is somehow a bad thing. People are literally only asking if anyone else has been banned in such a way to see if there is some evidence that this isn't just a targeted move based on hysteria.

Wisdom

Edited by MadWOPR, 12 May 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#442 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 12 May 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

I'd like to see a kill counter somewhere that tells us how many cheatin' scumbags you've bagged thus far, PGI.

Well, if the cheat-count turned out to be high (I REALLY hope that would never be the case! :o ) that would kind of backfire, as I'm sure potential new players wouldn't even bother with MW:O if they saw a counter that read "+1000 cheaters banned since release!"

Also have to take alts and repeat offenders into account. So, I don't think a counter would in any way be representative of what's going on..

#443 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

I understand and appreciate loyalty, but there's always a chance that the loyalty may be misplaced. The core issue here is between the player and PGI. It's not for the player's friends or the community at large to fight the battle as proxies.

If the player in question feels they were banned without sufficient cause, they have to take that issue to PGI themselves (assuming they have the interest to do so). PGI has the right to ban any of us at any time for any reason, but it's clearly not in their best interests to be capricious about doing so. For this player in particular, I'm certain they spent a lot of money on this game and they certainly brought some notoriety to the table as well. In short, they were a good customer - a whale. I doubt PGI did this without feeling like they had a solid case.

However, we don't get to second-guess them, no matter how strongly some of us may feel about it. All this talk about burden of proof and the petty back-and-forth is nonsense. We aren't in a court of law. We all signed a binding EULA to play and PGI has the right to do what they did. Moreso, they don't owe us an explanation. That they offered what they did is going above and beyond.

#444 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostKhereg, on 12 May 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

I understand and appreciate loyalty, but there's always a chance that the loyalty may be misplaced. The core issue here is between the player and PGI. It's not for the player's friends or the community at large to fight the battle as proxies.

If the player in question feels they were banned without sufficient cause, they have to take that issue to PGI themselves (assuming they have the interest to do so). PGI has the right to ban any of us at any time for any reason, but it's clearly not in their best interests to be capricious about doing so. For this player in particular, I'm certain they spent a lot of money on this game and they certainly brought some notoriety to the table as well. In short, they were a good customer - a whale. I doubt PGI did this without feeling like they had a solid case.

However, we don't get to second-guess them, no matter how strongly some of us may feel about it. All this talk about burden of proof and the petty back-and-forth is nonsense. We aren't in a court of law. We all signed a binding EULA to play and PGI has the right to do what they did. Moreso, they don't owe us an explanation. That they offered what they did is going above and beyond.

Actually, very true.

Edited by Scout Derek, 12 May 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#445 PremithiumX

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 61 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks MechNagato, for inspiring me to do this:

Posted Image

#446 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

If PGI went hardcore on banning, something along these lines may happen (that is for those professional or those that pay into the game):

#447 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

I understand why the NKVA group is defending someone they played with. I totally get it, I would defend my teammates as well if I thought they were not cheating. You do need to remember though, that if someone was cheating, they would probably hide that from their "friends" as well. It is clear this player was respected by you guys, and I guarantee that is how this person liked it. That respect wouldn't be there if you all knew that this person was cheating. It is completely expected that a cheater would lie to cover it up.

I can't say for sure if the evidence of the cheats was good or not, because I haven't been able to see it, but it does seem like the majority of people who have seen it find it sketchy. Also among those people are people who typically do not call "HACKS" every time they get beat.

I am giving PGI the benefit of the doubt that they did not ban this person just because a bunch of people were raging about it. I mean the MWO community rages about things ALL THE TIME, they ought to have thick skin with stuff like that at this point.

#448 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 12 May 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

they ought to have thick skin with stuff like that at this point.

lol

#449 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 12 May 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

I am giving PGI the benefit of the doubt that they did not ban this person just because a bunch of people were raging about it. I mean the MWO community rages about things ALL THE TIME, they ought to have thick skin with stuff like that at this point.

Most of the MWO community is not even a third (I believe) of the actual players that play the game.

I for one did see that the player who was accused of hacking, but I'm still a bit skeptical on weather the player did hack or not, but apparently when you watch the video, that those players that faced the one who was apparently hacking, should have won, why they lost, is not in my power to say anything.

All I can say is: Let's see how this pans out, right now apparently the MWO community is livid in quite a bit of anger, best not to try and feed the fire.

#450 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 12 May 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

I recommend removing this video as it violates the CoC.

It really doesn't, as PGI gave us a thread to discuss the issue, and the video does not offer the source.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 12 May 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

At least in part, yes. I'm certain it's a complicated answer. All terrain and rendering is a function of your local graphics card and probably has final say on conflicts to prevent lag shielding or something. Doing those calculations on server side would slow your connection speeds considerably.

That's wrong, otherwise I could shoot through stuff that doesn't render for me.

#451 Jakob Knight

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

View Postxeromynd, on 12 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, it should be noted that for those of us who run ballistic boats (4x UAC Jag, 6x AC2 Jag, 6x AC2 DWF, etc...), using the macro for RAPIDFIREAWESOMESAUCE mode is simply a workaround for the fact that attempting to rapidfire a single, chain fire-enabled, group of those same 6x AC2s DOESN'T WORK like it does with lasers.

With, say 6 lasers in the same weapon group, and chainfire enabled, they fire as fast as you can click (great fun), but for ballistic weapons (at least at the time I last played, pre May 5th patch) this method doesn't work.

So, calling out people for wanting to do something that the current build of the game cannot do, isn't really fair.

Rationalizing getting around how a part of the game works because it doesn't work the way you think it should is one of the things those who provide cheats rely on to spread their trade. You assume AC/2s, for example, should work the same as lasers, and in your mind, that excuses getting around how the game works with those weapons. Perhaps the same logic will next be extended to using an aimbot on your PPCs because their bolts should travel as fast as they used to, or providing yourself with a program that allows you to maintain lock on a target through terrain with your LRMs because ECM was never supposed to stop that in the first place.

Explaining away actions that you know are circumventing how the game works for other people to give you advantages is, no matter how you try to put a different spin on it, cheating. You are doing what you are doing, regardless of how you want to be excused for doing so, and it really becomes a matter of degree of transgression after you accept that you have the right to alter the game performance to improve your own performance.

Regardless, my opinion of what constitutes cheating in MWO doesn't matter. PGI hasn't asked for my input. What you consider cheating or not, or grounds for it doesn't matter. PGI is the one who has the final say in this matter, and it doesn't matter what you or I think might be a good reason or a bad reason for it...if you are doing something PGI considers cheating in MWO, then that is the standard that will be applied. I'm sure if they want our views on if one thing or another is necessary to overcome a limitation of the game engine, they'll ask us.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 12 May 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#452 the_Grim_Squeaker

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlexandria Louisiana USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

No no pleas keep feeding the Trolls

#453 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostMustafa Kemal Ataturk, on 11 May 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

Your opinions are all unimportant to me. The only thing I am interested in is PGI's response. If they wish to operate like this, they are losing money in the long term. The people posting here blindly in support of summary unexplained bans are the tiny minority of players.

yea, because one comp unit can overtake approximately 17000 players as shown on the Battle For Tukayyid stats in financial support of the development company for a game like this..... :/

#454 Scion Koga

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

.............23 pages and a pot of coffee later I am now assured that most of the arguments in this thread are at best ridiculous and at worst trolling.

Posted Image

#455 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostScion Koga, on 12 May 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

.............23 pages and a pot of coffee later I am now assured that most of the arguments in this thread are at best ridiculous and at worst trolling.

Posted Image

At this rate, this thread will have as much memes as the Mechwarrior Meme thread......

#456 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 12 May 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Reddit on fire

B33f under fire

People you can easily do some reddit searching and find out the player in question. Then you can join the conspiracy theory witch hunt

In the end the only person who knows the WHOLE truth is the banned player

If PGI chooses not to post a list of banned cheaters then someone will create a web page elsewhere that does so

If you cheat you are only tainting the game for the rest of us

They don't have a list but pull up their profile and you see "banned-cheater"

GOod enough for me.

#457 R Razor

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

It almost seems like a team has elected to replace a certain other team as "most hated" in MW:O.........only instead of doing it by winning and trolling in game they've decided to troll in the Forums instead.

#458 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostR Razor, on 12 May 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

It almost seems like a team has elected to replace a certain other team as "most hated" in MW:O.........only instead of doing it by winning and trolling in game they've decided to troll in the Forums instead.

It is also rumored that they are really the same or at least have some recycled players.

#459 Diplomat99

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thanks to this thread I am late for bed, thanks. Totally worth it. Would do it again. Thanks PGI for taking public steps this radical, sometimes you have to swing the Hammer

#460 Leonidas Rommel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 137 posts
  • LocationFar side of your moon

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

Yep, thanks PGI. This is outstanding!

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users