587 replies to this topic

#561 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Lawsuits are mostly about delaying the case until the weaker side crumbles from the legal fees.

#562 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 13 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Agreed. People who try to hold the authorities to account are actually trying to undermine them and are really just troublemakers. Non-vaguely worded laws, open courts, and documented procedures lead to the insane scenario of criminals being too good at crime.

The only account your need to concern yourself with is your own. They only players who care about DETAILED information on the methods and practices used by PGI to spot cheaters.....are cheaters. No one else wants or feels the need for explicit information because it is of no use to anyone. The ONLY group THAT information IS useful to.....are the cheats looking to make their cheats less detectable. Asking for such information, if they realize it or not, is in fact 'suspicious' to all non-cheats.

Cheater got caught cheating, Cheater got their account revoked, Cheater got banned for life....working as intended. Great work PGI, as a staunch financial support of this game (over $4,000.00 and spent and climbing) I am PROUD to see the Developers take an active roll in ensuring their game is 'cheater free'.

Cheating is a clear violation of the ToS for every game ever made, but even if it that WASN'T the case (and we all know it is)... They made the game, they maintain the game, and they continue development of the game....they want to ban someone they don't have to ask my, or anyone else's permission. If you don't like it, you think PGI is unfair, your solution is simple....QUIT. There is nothing between you and the door except air so put up or shut up because PGI is not taking the ban back, nor are they (or should they) going to share 'how' they catch cheaters.

Edited by Armando, 13 May 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#563 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostArmando, on 13 May 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

If you don't like it, you think PGI is unfair, your solution is simple....QUIT.

We're not that lucky.

#564 IEC

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:34 PM

Long overdue.

No tolerance should be given for cheaters.

Bravo PGI

#565 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:36 PM

I like how many of you are thinking of things in terms of the ole' USA's sue everybody culture.

IMHO, banning is too good for 'em.

Edited by nehebkau, 13 May 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#566 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostArmando, on 13 May 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

The only account your need to concern yourself with is your own. They only players who care about DETAILED information on the methods and practices used by PGI to spot cheaters.....are cheaters. No one else wants or feels the need for explicit information because it is of no use to anyone. The ONLY group THAT information IS useful to.....are the cheats looking to make their cheats less detectable. Asking for such information, if they realize it or not, is in fact 'suspicious' to all non-cheats.

Cheater got caught cheating, Cheater got their account revoked, Cheater got banned for life....working as intended. Great work PGI, as a staunch financial support of this game (over $4,000.00 and spent and climbing) I am PROUD to see the Developers take an active roll in ensuring their game is 'cheater free'.

Cheating is a clear violation of the ToS for every game ever made, but even if it that WASN'T the case (and we all know it is)... They made the game, they maintain the game, and they continue development of the game....they want to ban someone they don't have to ask my, or anyone else's permission. If you don't like it, you think PGI is unfair, your solution is simple....QUIT. There is nothing between you and the door except air so put up or shut up because PGI is not taking the ban back, nor are they (or should they) going to share 'how' they catch cheaters.

4000 dollars?

Ha ha ha

#567 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 13 May 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Lol, "Anyone who questions the methodology of banning players should be put on a watchlist, and if they don't I will be upset"

Anyone who ask questions about the methods and practices of how PGI tracks cheaters should be put on a 'watch list', that said, if they don't no one would know. However, if PGI really does care about trying to stop people from cheating the players of the game they created then tracking players who ask 'cheat development' types of questions would be a safe bet.

Also, PGI used to ban people from their game for saying negative stuff about them in completely different forums, lest we forget.

...and ???

It's totally good for the tiny, incestual community and longevity of MWO to have a completely opaque and capricious banning system in place.

The MWO banning system is clear, is concise, has been in place since day one...

...PGI can and will ban who ever they want, when ever they want, for what ever reason they want.

You will find the same is true of Sony, EA, Blizzard, and every other game development company. If this gets you salty there is a solution....put your wallet in your purse, log out of MWO, or WoW, or [insert game here], never log back in.

View PostMadWOPR, on 13 May 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

4000 dollars?

Ha ha ha

Well over. In fact, I am SO PROUD of PGI right now for banning the cheater that by weekends end I just my break the $5,000.00 mark.

I like a game I back it. I don't like a game I leave. It's called put up or shut up, and it seems like you are incapable of either. Who knows, I could be wrong...you think PGI is unfair, salty because a cheater got caught cheating, stop supporting them. You will be the only one, but you shouldn't let that stop you....you know, put up. The other option...I just don't think you have it in you to take that one.

Edited by Armando, 13 May 2015 - 03:51 PM.

#568 Harshaw

• Pip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

4000 dollars?

Ha ha ha

Meh, I know people who have spent way more on games. Some have dropped more then that in SWTOR on cartel packs. Also if you have the money, and enjoy the game. Who cares. People blow more money on less tangible things in life.

#569 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 13 May 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

Money is king. You threaten a companies cash flow and you WILL get their attention. Going to court is not necessary to change a companies behaviour.

have fun with your waste of money then, as you do realize that a lawlsuit will cost you 10 to 50 times what it would net you. Thats the REAL reason that this will never happen. That and any judge would laugh it out of court

View PostArmando, on 13 May 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

...and ???

You'd be fine being banned if you said something negative about the game on say Reddit?

#570 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

4000 dollars?

Ha ha ha

You spend an awful lot of time hanging around a video game you actively mock people for supporting.

#571 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 May 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

You'd be fine being banned if you said something negative about the game on say Reddit?

The very, Very, VERY few times in life I have ever been 'banned' for anything I knew it was coming long before it got there and in every case I had it coming. If you are not willing to do the time....don't commit the crime.

#572 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

*sniffs the air* Ah, hrm, yes testing, testing. Everyone likes to make their own brand now, don't they? *sniffs again* .............this forums smells of strawberries and paranioa; brewing distrust, even stink would say it stinks. You know when you drop into a forum thread where it's all speculation and wonder what the f*ck is goin' on? That, plus fear..............

Bonus for whoever gets the reference,. also, I''ve lost my brain ATM....HELP!

#573 RavenKnight86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

I know I'll get attacked by "you know who unit" but it seems like to me they caught a cheater (good job, PGI) and banned them. And now a certain portion of the community wants to know how said cheater got caught but disguise it for asking for the evidence. Hello when you signed up to play you agreed they could stop you from playing at any time and not even give you an explanation. Don't like it, go elsewhere. Me personally, I'm glad there is one less cheater.

#574 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostRavenKnight86, on 13 May 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

I know I'll get attacked by "you know who unit" but it seems like to me they caught a cheater (good job, PGI) and banned them. And now a certain portion of the community wants to know how said cheater got caught but disguise it for asking for the evidence. Hello when you signed up to play you agreed they could stop you from playing at any time and not even give you an explanation. Don't like it, go elsewhere. Me personally, I'm glad there is one less cheater.

Sadly that might be all it takes if people leave in flocks.

#575 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

Seems to me PGI have the balance as about close to perfect as you can get.

You need both the tools to detect cheats, and a clear policy on how they will be treated.

I hosted servers in MW4 Mercenaries for many many years, there have always been cheats and always will be.

The counter has always been, tools for detection and a clear policy for dealing with them.

I used Mercshield and cloak, by MekTek and those caught were banned and named and shamed.

On one occassion after reading a units forum, members of whom had been caught cheating, it became obvious the entire unit was using and sharing various cheats and trainer hacks. The entire clan tag had to be banned.

I dont get it myself, in a game that requires you to build on your skills, you cheat yourself as much as anyone else. What possible satisfaction can you get knowing it was a cheat and not superior skill and piloting that got you the winning score.

I know that my servers with a reputation of a fair game were popular, PGI's policy makes perfect sense in that respect.

Nothing kills the fun in a game faster than getting trashed by a name you know full well is a cheater, they are a cancer on a game, and perma banning them is the only counter.

Dont cheat, you deprive yourself of real well earned satisfaction when you win, you deprive others of a fair and fun game, and ultimately if it becomes rampant it kills the game itself

Edited by Karl Carver, 13 May 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#576 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 13 May 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

Sadly that might be all it takes if people leave in flocks.

Hehehe..people have been leaving for a while now. If another exodus happens over this - sadly that just means the cheaters/hackers decided to go elsewhere.

#577 The Droid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostSerpieri, on 13 May 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Hehehe..people have been leaving for a while now. If another exodus happens over this - sadly that just means the cheaters/hackers decided to go elsewhere.

"The ship is going to sink!"

"Ah its fine, the ship was already sinking, and this will only make it sink faster."

#578 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostMadWOPR, on 13 May 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

If you're exhausted and getting worked up over NKVA being really good at the game compared to everyone then you should probably take a step back, friend

We all KNOW that you guys are not really good compared to everyone. Compared to most, maybe, still debatable, but not compared to everyone. If you're going to use Tukayyid stats, then don't before you embarrass yourself, there were at least 4 other units with a better W/L record.

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 13 May 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Try reading my previous posts in this thread regarding why there is almost certainly no anti-cheat. Here's the very oversimplified version: among other things, it is very unlikely that PGI, with a very small team, managed to implement an anti-cheat for a game running on CryEngine, which is notoriously vulnerable when CryTek, a company employing 700 people, cannot implement one for its OWN GAMES.

If this is not enough for you, then go read those previous posts in the thread I mentioned. It's very easy to find them.

"1- For the analogy, the criminal is on the most wanted list (this means they have committed some seriously bad crimes)."

This is what I like about people that dig their own graves. They usually save you all the work. You just mentioned that you don't think they can do it. No one gives two cents about what you THINK, they may have done, or didn't do. Also, just because an engine is vulnerable, that's not the same as being unprotected.

Lol, "Anyone who questions the methodology of banning players should be put on a watchlist, and if they don't I will be upset"

Also, PGI used to ban people from their game for saying negative stuff about them in completely different forums, lest we forget. It's totally good for the tiny, incestual community and longevity of MWO to have a completely opaque and capricious banning system in place.

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 13 May 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Agreed. People who try to hold the authorities to account are actually trying to undermine them and are really just troublemakers. Non-vaguely worded laws, open courts, and documented procedures lead to the insane scenario of criminals being too good at crime.

Drop the act you two. You're not asking for checks and balances here, you guys wanted to know EXACT details of how PGI can detect cheaters. That goes beyond the scope of whatever it is you're lying about doing. No one is asking for those that question authority to be put on a watch list.

They're asking for the friends of a cheater, who seem really keen on knowing how cheating is detected (potentially so they can cheat better, after all, we don't know what's in your hearts, and have to work off statistics. Your request, raises the odds that you want to hide how you cheat), to be checked, since it's extremely suspicious, and contributes nothing positive to this entire event.

In fact, it's detrimental in every way possible.

So don't go around portraying yourselves as crusaders of "great justice", and wanting fairness, when in reality you just want to raise a fuss, with the possibility of trying to better hide how you cheat (if you cheat. We don't know, we have to work off assumptions here.)

#579 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

I luv lamp?
And or loud noises!
Can we lock this thread and move on ?

#580 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 13 May 2015 - 03:17 PM, said:

have fun with your waste of money then, as you do realize that a lawlsuit will cost you 10 to 50 times what it would net you. Thats the REAL reason that this will never happen. That and any judge would laugh it out of court

Did you mean to quote another poster? I never said anything about suing or even that it's WORTH pursuing a lawsuit so don't put words in my mouth brother. If you're going to quote a post in this chaotic mess you need to follow the thread more diligently and not take quotes out of context.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 13 May 2015 - 05:43 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users