Raven 3L Long Range Popping Technique

14 replies to this topic

#1 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hello,

Welcome to the Raven 3L Long Range Tutorial in MWO ACADEMY Project.

This Tutorial will teach you how to use the Raven 3L as Long Range Sniper by using the "Popping" Manouvre (aka Hit & Go).

This technique consists in selecting a good cover (a hill or a wall) and move back and forth while sniping the enemy possibily between 700 and 900 m of distance. This technique helps you to be very effective at distance and reduce at a minimum risk value the exposure time.

http://www.basecool....-technique.html

Edited by AV 4 T 4 R, 07 January 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#2 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostAV 4 T 4 R, on 07 January 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

Hello,

Welcome to the Raven 3L Long Range Tutorial in MWO ACADEMY Project.

This Tutorial will teach you how to use the Raven 3L as Long Range Sniper by using the "Popping" Manouvre (aka Hit & Go).

This technique consists in selecting a good cover (a hill or a wall) and move back and forth while sniping the enemy possibily between 700 and 900 m of distance. This technique helps you to be very effective at distance and reduce at a minimum risk value the exposure time.

http://www.basecool....chnique/slide/1

Think you can do it with and XL 300 with no spare heat sinks.
Also far more effective with 'Throttle Decay'.

#3 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hmm I'm not really sure.

XL 300 on RVN 3L does not exist, you can maximum reach the XL 295.
Where do you take the 1 Tonn extra needed? If you remove the DHS you will suffer a loss of performance during the offensive manouvre.

#4 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

This technique is really solid in Skirmish mode in particular. If you own a Raven 3L, definitely look into it.

#5 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:27 AM

View PostAV 4 T 4 R, on 07 January 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

Hmm I'm not really sure.

XL 300 on RVN 3L does not exist, you can maximum reach the XL 295.
Where do you take the 1 Tonn extra needed? If you remove the DHS you will suffer a loss of performance during the offensive manouvre.

Oh yes... XL295... What was I thinking.. Doh !!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f92cf0b7c17383f

Well max speed and agility for trading in extra DHS.

Edited by ShinVector, 08 January 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#6 AV 4 T 4 R

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Yes it is :P

I think both the variant are preatty strong. Maybe you should get 285 and cut all the Armor from Left arm so you reach 1 Tonns for the Extra DHS. It gives you more engine power instead of 280 but it also keep your Heat down.

I think both builds are strong, everything depends if you have time to disengage from the battle, get cold and fire again or if you need that extra DHS to perform more damage because the enemy team put you under pressure.

My personal thought is that you can run 295 if you are in COLD maps (hpg manifold - alpine - frozen city) and you have large space to hit and run away, and you can run 285/280 + extra DHS if you are running in small maps where you must constantly keep the enemy under fire and deliver the highest DPS

#7 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostAV 4 T 4 R, on 09 January 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

Yes it is :D

I think both the variant are preatty strong. Maybe you should get 285 and cut all the Armor from Left arm so you reach 1 Tonns for the Extra DHS. It gives you more engine power instead of 280 but it also keep your Heat down.

I think both builds are strong, everything depends if you have time to disengage from the battle, get cold and fire again or if you need that extra DHS to perform more damage because the enemy team put you under pressure.

My personal thought is that you can run 295 if you are in COLD maps (hpg manifold - alpine - frozen city) and you have large space to hit and run away, and you can run 285/280 + extra DHS if you are running in small maps where you must constantly keep the enemy under fire and deliver the highest DPS

But honestly I rather run these builds on the 2X or 4X in PUG.
By not being invisible to radar it increase the annoyance factor to the enemy and helps with the team damage sharing.

Unless my HSR for lasers at 250ms is greatly improved.
HSR is often broken for lasers at high latency and it has a terrible effect on your overall damage potential.. Hiaz...

Edited by ShinVector, 09 January 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostShinVector, on 08 January 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f92cf0b7c17383f

Well max speed and agility for trading in extra DHS.

Which is a bad trade in this case. You need the heat sink in this build to have any kind of sustained DPS. XL280 gets the job done.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 January 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#9 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 January 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Which is a bad trade in this case. You need the heat sink in this build to have any kind of sustained DPS. XL280 gets the job done.

Highly doubtful that one additional DHS1.4 versus 10x DHS2.0 makes too much of a difference DPS wise.
This is an ERLL Raven, most of the time you want to Snipe and hide... Unless of course you have very low ping and can brawl with lasers...

I the past... You could really feel the difference turning when a XL280 light fights XL295-300 in brawls though.

That additional speed however helps you keep distance from the 150kph range of lights.

The only I would think to drop to XL280 is add BAP or AMS. More useful than that single DHS to me.

Edited by ShinVector, 10 January 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#10 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostShinVector, on 10 January 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Highly doubtful that one additional DHS1.4 versus 10x DHS2.0 makes too much of a difference DPS wise.

Nope, pysience proved it. The extra HS IS noticeable and does make a difference, more than the engine upgrade makes a difference.

Not that taking the max engine size is a bad idea or a bad build, but the extra HS will get you better results than 7.2 KPH.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 January 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 January 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Nope, pysience proved it. The extra HS IS noticeable and does make a difference, more than the engine upgrade makes a difference.

Not that taking the max engine size is a bad idea or a bad build, but the extra HS will get you better results than 7.2 KPH.

Just gotta take note that bigger engine effects more than just speed in this game...
Just a pref... Both matter less to latency... Better latency the more damage you are going to do with lasers and it is almost a given.

#12 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:24 AM

im sorry but a tutorial of mechwarrior academy on how to hill pop , just seems odd :ph34r:
oh well
nice build you made on the 3L you could also however do ECM and Two ER large with 5ish more tonns to spare
but the hardpoints are not in the arms so there is that disadvantage

You Can also use the raven's more slender profile to be a better ER Large laser Jumpjetter then the jenner

Note: No ECM and Take out ONE double heatsink to upgrade the Engine to XL 275 - 140 KPH 13 doubles
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...echlab#modified
14 Double Heatsinks , 134 kph , one jumpjet, 197 armor

or the 12 Doubleheatsink , one jumpjet , 197 armor 134 kph , One PPC , One ER Large laser

And the 15 doubles ECM two ER large , 133 KPH cicada
Only option is to take out heatsinks for speed

147 kph Two Er large , 11 Doubles version
I am smurfy addict still D:

Edited by kesuga7, 10 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#13 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

You accidentally linked to the smurfy's main 'mech screen 5 times. Sorry man.

#14 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 10 January 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

You accidentally linked to the smurfy's main 'mech screen 5 times. Sorry man.

hah yeah ^_^
well at least i put the loadout above the text which should make it easy to remember how to build
gonna do it tommorow i guess

#15 Dotdot

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:53 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...04bc5c57311eeb2 and a single DHT in engine or single SHT in leg ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users