• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostFupDup, on 17 May 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

For the record, a "true" meta humper rarely "cries" over nerfs because they have a "movement is life" mentality. They go from place to place in search of the new best thing, without developing mental attachments to any particular thing. They use something until it stops working, and then they just move on and find something else that works. They tend to be mostly indifferent about what they use so long as it gets the job done the most effectively.
So they Improvise and adapt?

Chances are that people who have an actual, emotional investment in a particular mech or other item aren't actual "meta humpers."
Definitely those that cannot I.A.O. are the ones crying with every change.

In this specific example, somebody who is a "meta humper" would probably saddle up in a Hellbringer (or upcoming Ebon Jaguar) for laser builds instead of using the soon to be nerfed Timber Wolf.
Someone like me would mess with the Timber's build till I found one that worked for me.

View PostFupDup, on 17 May 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

To be fair, Clan lasers actually are a bit crazy in some areas. For example, this is what it feels like to use the Clan LPL:

The CERML is amazeballs as well...

I have no idea what that video is doing! :huh:

#22 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

I'm sure you'll have fun with the Small Laser (1.3s) which has a longer burn than a ERLL(1.25)

Or perhaps the Medium Laser (1.495) which is nearly equivalent to the longest laser in the game (1.5)

There's nerfs, and then there's absolutely ridiculous sledgehammer changes. I was already tired of CW, now I'll never drop again. They've just killed half the usable robots. And then there was one.

#23 Adiuvo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 17 May 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Really? Cause I have adapted to every Meta we have had, and I have good fun games all the time. Better players destroy me, and I destroy players that are not as good as me. What they use and what is right, depends on teh player as an individual. Cause if you used my data for any Meta Mech, they would all need buffed with horse steroids to be viable.

If you cannot improvise and adapt, you sir suck.

Joseph, you have previously indicated that you have fun from just playing certain mechs and builds, no matter how good they are. You derive your fun from the game innately. That's a perfectly fine mindset in of itself, but it also doesn't lead well to caring much about balance.

It's a fact of the game that certain mechs are better than others. There is a limit as to how much the pilot matters compared to the mech. I could beat 99% of light pilots in this game using a Jenner. I cannot beat everyone without a Firestarter, though with one I can.

#24 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 17 May 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

I'm sure you'll have fun with the Small Laser (1.3s) which has a longer burn than a ERLL(1.25)

Or perhaps the Medium Laser (1.495) which is nearly equivalent to the longest laser in the game (1.5)

There's nerfs, and then there's absolutely ridiculous sledgehammer changes. I was already tired of CW, now I'll never drop again. They've just killed half the usable robots. And then there was one.

Look i dont disagree on the nerf part, but the way how PGI implents nerf without look to other options like ballistics and LRM tuning is just lame.

The mechs had their nerfs comming, with the current implentation of quirks and nerfs or better said: -how they are applied- you should have expected this earlier. Especially the TBR, SCR and the FS had them comming.

It's hard to balance a game like this, but what ticks me off that there looks like one tunnelvision at the time without considering small steps and other options to look at.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostFupDup, on 17 May 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

For the record, a "true" meta humper rarely "cries" over nerfs because they have a "movement is life" mentality. They go from place to place in search of the new best thing, without developing mental attachments to any particular thing. They use something until it stops working, and then they just move on and find something else that works. They tend to be mostly indifferent about what they use so long as it gets the job done the most effectively.

Chances are that people who have an actual, emotional investment in a particular mech or other item aren't actual "meta humpers."

In this specific example, somebody who is a "meta humper" would probably saddle up in a Hellbringer (or upcoming Ebon Jaguar) for laser builds instead of using the soon to be nerfed Timber Wolf.

Well, in fairness, I don't consider truly competitive players, and metahumpers to be one and the same. Really competitive players do add you describe. But there is a class of wanna be comps, jock sniffers, who cling to whatever the meta of the month is, because that's the only way they can remotely compete and be relevant, even amongst the pug masses. 99% of the players you see in meets builds are anything but comp.

These terms to be the one who wine loudest.

Though I also enjoy the fantasy that being a comp payer inherently has anything to do with understanding balance. Some do. Most? Just twitchier reflexes, playing follow the leader.

#26 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Nothing telling about your current faction choice...

#27 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostAdiuvo, on 17 May 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Meaningless statements are meaningless.

It always seems to me that the most average players are the ones who scream about 'adapt and overcome,' in any game.

are you saying that adapt and over come is the wrong thing to do? or that the top players can't adapt and overcome?

#28 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 17 May 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

are you saying that adapt and over come is the wrong thing to do? or that the top players can't adapt and overcome?

The point being that you are not overcoming the complete reduction in power of a class that was already weak to begin with. You just stay weaker.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 May 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Though I also enjoy the fantasy that being a comp payer inherently has anything to do with understanding balance. Some do. Most? Just twitchier reflexes, playing follow the leader.

This game is mechanically simple short of lights. Positioning means nearly everything, and that's rooted in game understanding. Ergo, if you understand the game, you will be good at it. This is in contrast to something like CS where mechanics also play a huge part, though I'm not knocking on the situational awareness that CS requires either.

Edited by Adiuvo, 17 May 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#29 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

If only they could Ship those Clan Tears to California the drought would be over :ph34r:

#30 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:13 PM

The more things change. The more they stay the same.

#31 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 17 May 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Preach

#32 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 17 May 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

All of the crying over the nerfs, just shows you leaned on the crutch of the last meta.

Adapt, overcome, and move on.

Karma is a ***** isnt it? ;)

#33 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

I enjoy piloting many of the recently nerfed mechs, so far i have not really seen much of a problem. My match scores are still the same.

#34 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostPalor, on 17 May 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

I enjoy piloting many of the recently nerfed mechs, so far i have not really seen much of a problem. My match scores are still the same.

Like what?

#35 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostMoldur, on 17 May 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Meta a.k.a. the thing that clearly worked the best.

You're right, we did the thing that worked based off the funnel of game mechanics that rendered other options obsolete in the game that PGI developed and gave to us.

Excuse me for not taking advantage of the Clan ballistics which were clearly almost equal to laser boating, thus giving me the viable option if I so choosed.

TBR-C

edit: this build was a joke, but now I want to build it.

3 1/2 ton of ammo with 3 ballistic would be a very funny joke indeed.

The pod "nerf" are only bad when you obstinate to boat the same weapon, use a little diversity and you wont notice the pod nerf. I hope it's where the game is going as a whole and am very happy pgi is taking it's first baby step to lower the cheesy 10 of the same thing is better than a mix.

#36 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 17 May 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

Joseph, you have previously indicated that you have fun from just playing certain mechs and builds, no matter how good they are. You derive your fun from the game innately. That's a perfectly fine mindset in of itself, but it also doesn't lead well to caring much about balance.

It's a fact of the game that certain mechs are better than others. There is a limit as to how much the pilot matters compared to the mech. I could beat 99% of light pilots in this game using a Jenner. I cannot beat everyone without a Firestarter, though with one I can.

Fine. Everyone knew the Timberwolf and Storm Crow were going to get nerfed. The drama about it is entertaing though and I can make funny jokes about it.

#37 Vlaitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostPalor, on 17 May 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Exactly my feeling. I have 0 problems with 10% longer laser duration on my TBR. Will it change my build of play style? Absolutely not.
Old babies inbound for a massive cry on every patch cannot be escaped!

#38 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

All of the crying over the nerfs, just shows you leaned on the crutch of the last meta.

How about you just shut the **** up and keep your 10 year old logic to yourself. If you're gonna make a thread about something legit do it. Otherwise, stop wastin your ****** time tryin to tell people to "Get over it." Seriously, I've seen a lot of worthless threads in my time, and this is most definitely one of them....

Posted Image

#39 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostAkoolPopTart, on 17 May 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

How about you just shut the **** up and keep your 10 year old logic to yourself. If you're gonna make a thread about something legit do it. Otherwise, stop wastin your ****** time tryin to tell people to "Get over it." Seriously, I've seen a lot of worthless threads in my time, and this is most definitely one of them....

Posted Image

The usual clan mentality, you shoulnt have an issue on any mech if you guys are even half decent players. And the nerfs being given should likewise not hurt you much at all. I have had my timber since invasion and yea it needed a nerf then, needs a nerf now along with stormcrow. The major issue is the freedom you are given with omnipods.

#40 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

I was actually thinking just this as I read about this latest round of quirks/nerfs/tweaks/whatever, though probably different from your original point. I was thinking that having been playing heavily again over the past two weeks, I thought everything was decently balanced. But lo and behold...the complaining has generated more reactions from PGI. Tweaks, we'll call them. Where was all the adapting and overcoming and moving on when all these supposed "supertweak" platforms were supposedly ruling the battlefield? Hint: There doesn't seem to have been much of those things, just complaining on the forums.

I frankly do not care what tweaks they roll out or what nerfs they hit mechs with. I run the builds I like to run regardless of whether or not there's a 3% this or 10% that. My only complaint is that it gets a bit tiring having to relearn the capabilities of my platforms and what the enemy can now do every month. Things get settled in and then more tweaks. It's constant and somewhat annoying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users