Balance

4 replies to this topic

#1 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

So I think it is fair to say that PGI is not going to stop with the mechs they started on. The net result of this will be the complete obliteration of the power creep that has been occurring for the last 2 years. I for one completely support this.

No longer will we be able to hollow out a mech with a single alpha volley from a medium mech. No longer will be using only 1 type of weapon.

Yes, it will be slow. Yes, it will be painful but I personally am looking forward to the end of peak and poke laser blaarg.

This upcoming patch is not some great surprise. The developers have said they were looking at stopping the extreme power of the pinpoint alpha for awhile. With that said, they still have a long way to go. Mechs and weapons that need some changes include:

Hellbringer
Cauldron-Born
Stalker (more changes needed)
Arctic Cheetah
Thunderwub
Battlemaster
Jaegar
Cataphract
Banshee
Wolverine

After this they should consider a slight overall nerf to lasers in general along with small nerfs to the IS autocannon. Once this is done LRMS, PPCs, and clan autocannons will all be on a reasonable footing compared to lasers.

For those of us that have been anxiously watching the power creep of the last 2 years this is a great day. We will ever so slowly ending ridgehumper/sniper warrior the game and return to where we should be; a balanced shooter with mechs that take awhile to actually bring down. Sniping and lasers will still have a role, but they will be a strategic element to any group rather than the norm.

Rejoice my friends!

Edited by Blueduck, 18 May 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to make groups of weapons not hit the same pixel?

I guess addressing dozens of robots and weapons is also an option, which doesn't affect the base issue....that does sound like a PGI thing to do.

#3 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 May 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

I guess addressing dozens of robots and weapons is also an option, which doesn't affect the base issue....that does sound like a PGI thing to do.

My friend, I think weapon convergence is here to stay. As such we are left with balancing the weapons and mechs themselves.

This power creep needs to stop somewhere and I'm willing to start with having my precious Timber and Crow nerfed if that's what it takes to get us to where we need to go in the long term.

#4 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 May 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

Some of us have been asking for convergence/cone of fire since closed beta. We're never going to get it, because perfect pixel accuracy is apparently what the devs and a majority of the players want. Despite the fact that nearly 100% of modern shooters (including the competitive ones) have cones of fire in some manner.

#5 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 18 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Some of us have been asking for convergence/cone of fire since closed beta. We're never going to get it, because perfect pixel accuracy is apparently what the devs and a majority of the players want. Despite the fact that nearly 100% of modern shooters (including the competitive ones) have cones of fire in some manner.

The game is too far along to change this. We're stuck with convergence and we have to work with the tools we're given. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users