12 replies to this topic

#1 Val_Z

• PipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

Hey guys,

I returning after long break, and there are a bunch of changes i'm figuring out.

One i couldn't find an answer for (although it may be out there, sorry if it is) is how the 360 target retention module works against the new module of radar deprivation.

If i have 360 target retention and my target has deprivation, and we are lights whizzing around each other and he is close but behind me, which module wins out, or do they just cancel each other out, and my target dissapears after 2 seconds as per normal?

Also, is there a way to view the Mech quirks when changing the armament in the mechbay. ie: I am swapping weapons in an arm, but forget what the mech quirks are. Do i have to go all the way back out of editting, and hover my mouse over the appropriate mech at the selection screen?

And lastly, does anyone find the fall damage reduction useful on light mechs? Or are most people slotting them in heavys/assaults? Been playing with a BJ-1 and with 3/4 jump jets my legs really don't take much damage at all.

Thanks

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

I haven't used 360 retention for... a while. If you have them, it should be easy to test in the proving grounds. I'd expect that the enemy would need to break line of sight to your 'mech rather than just be behind you.

There is sadly no way to check the quirks in the Mechlab - use Smurfy's and tab to your browser. However! There is a new mechlab in the works, and it is a vast improvement.

As for fall damage, I don't use it. Other modules such as radar deprivation, seismic sensor, or even sensor range are far more important for a light.

#3 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:07 AM

With the JJ's just ensure you have 25% of your fuel to take some of the bite out of the fall but if your planning on poptarting then it might be a useful module but I wouldnt recommend it, best module for poptarting is radar derp. In a light I would never use it, seismic and radar derp and a lot more preferred and if you do not have JJ's to break your fall then plan your route a little more carefully and learn the fall distances.

As void says, they have to break line of sight as radar derp is for when he is back in cover so the 360 module will still be useful but its only usefull for missile mechs really, as i said before, seismic and radar derp and pretty much the best modules for lights these days.

As for quirks, generally I have this open in my browser: http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm
really useful reference guide for quirks

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 18 May 2015 - 06:12 AM.

#4 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

360 Target Retention isn't that useful. Only 200m range. If you're in a Streak boat . . . maybe? Remember, it's not retaining your locks, it's only retaining the target.

#5 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

Actually bandit, in a light v light fight it actually has a very good use and a light mech with 3 mech module slots its a very viable option but in a streak boat its a must, its going to speed up the time you get locks siginificantly, becuase as a light your either going to try run away or get behind them, if you know where they are but still having them targeted, you know what way thier legs are pointing thus you can reacquire your lock a LOT sooner. POW dead light mech.

#6 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

For a new player running their first streak boat, the only thing that's a "must" is an ECM counter - BAP/CAP/ECMc. Everything after that is gravy. In any situation, there are always a couple other modules that are going to give you greater returns than 360.

#7 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 May 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:

There is sadly no way to check the quirks in the Mechlab - use Smurfy's and tab to your browser. However! There is a new mechlab in the works, and it is a vast improvement.

They do show quirks, in mechlab just click a mech and leave the cursor over the mech, there it will display the quirks underneath it's weapons.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

i run 360 in a few lights, and some brawlers,, It helps a ton to know where the mechs are, and the most important part is the paper doll, if your buddy just opened up a spot on the mech you know it and can target it. that is a big deal especially in a light with just a few weapons and you often run by, and look in other directions to check the area for danger or better dodging, like running around the back./side of a mech while waiting for weapon recharge. Being able to know exact where that mech is, and where to target when you twist back is pretty darn helpful.

In my lights with 3 modules and no JJ's i run Radar dep, 360, and hill climb. It is also a good combo on the HBK 4G amoung others, The 360 does get droped in the lights with only 2 modules, though my commando 2D i run 360+hill climb, because i already have ECM. Lights with JJ's ill keep the 360 and drop the hill climb for obvious reasons. Granted this is for bralwer lights, that run with heavy group support.. But nothing better than brawling and not lossing a target lock, while your LRM buddy rains down death and you finish off the job when that armor opens up.

On heavy/assault brawlers with 3 360 targeting becomes the third slot behind radar dep, and seismic.

I play a lot of brawlers so there is that part of the equation.

fall damage, i never used it, but why not unlock and grab it,, it is nice to have one of every module just to try.. I might grab it for my spiders because they fly so high.

the radar modules, i don't think have anything to do with each other, pretty sure the radar dep is for line of sight, and if you are out in the open, where 360 module is mostly used, it won't mater, most likely the radar dep just follows line of site rules.. even if you can't see the mech cause you are facing the other way, the game engine pretends that you are facing the mech. At least i think that is how it goes.

Edited by JC Daxion, 18 May 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 May 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

They do show quirks, in mechlab just click a mech and leave the cursor over the mech, there it will display the quirks underneath it's weapons.

Not when you're actually working on the 'mech, which is what he was asking.

#10 Kiriesani

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 67 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationUSA, Illinois

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

Fall damage reduction is absolutely essential in anything with more than four jump jets that poptarts and the Locust. You only have 16 armor on those legs. Every bit you save from a fall helps. You have 2 mech 3 weapon 1 mechweapon slot so you might as well use it.

#11 Val_Z

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies people!

Some great information here and more than i was expecting. Looking forward to busting out my lights next :)

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostKiriesani, on 18 May 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Fall damage reduction is absolutely essential in anything with more than four jump jets that poptarts and the Locust. You only have 16 armor on those legs. Every bit you save from a fall helps. You have 2 mech 3 weapon 1 mechweapon slot so you might as well use it.

Actually, it's not. Since they fixed the problem of breaking your legs running down slopes and over guardrails, I have yet to sustain significant falling damage on any light. If you're running a Locust, you spend most or all of your time keeping low and hugging terrain - and jump jets can be used on the way back down, too. If you're taking enough falling damage in either case to need the module, you're doing it wrong.

The module may be useful to you depending on your driving practices and skill, but it is by no means essential.

#13 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:24 AM

JC is spot on

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users