Which Variants To Buy (Tbr, Mdd, Scr)?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Yusuf Khan

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

With the weekend discount on the way... I am thinking about getting 2 or 3 clan mechs with hard-earned C-Bill. ^_^

I've been having lots of fun with crows and mad dog in the trial mechs, and thinking of getting them both. The question is, should I just go with the same variant as the trial mech (SCR-C, MDD-Prime respectively), or could I get a better return from other variants?

And then there is TBR. Mad cat is mad cat, and I obviously want to get them eventually. But since I didn't have any experience with them, and the forum-wide discussion on nerfing, I am kinda torn between which variant I should get, or any...

Any suggestions? :)

#2 xDust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

SCR: Doesn't matter really, since none of the CTs are different. Recommend getting the Prime because even its stock loadout is very good. Except the CERLLs suffer from the new quirks. Depends what kind of Stormcrow you want to run, really. Check the stock hardpoints on each, and see which one you want with the least mix and match of omnipods to get what you really want.

MDD: No experience, didn't like the trial. Not my type of mech, so no help here.

TBR: Same as SCR. They're all okay choices. The nerfs aren't too horrible with correct mech building. Prime has an MG slot in the torso, so no negative energy quirks in the CT. S has a JJ in the CT, so you lose a ton for JJ mobility and no energy quirks. C and D have the negative quirks in the CT because of the E hardpoint.

Edited by xDust, 25 May 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

With clan mechs, to be honest, it doesn't overly matter what variant of the chassis you end up getting. This is because you can change all (but the CT) the omnipods of your mech to any other mech (Variant). This means you can mix and match to get the hard points you desire.

If you really liked the trial versions, then I'd honestly start there and move on from that point. Either that or buy another variant so you can play something different, and then still can fall back onto the Trial if you wished.

Personally, I don't have any of those mechs, as I've been using the Thor/Summoner myself. The Vulture/Mad Dog trial has been working for me fairly well, and I know it's a decent mech. Stormcrows and Timberwolves recently got hit by a nerf, so keep an eye on that. (For the Stormcrow and Timberwolf, if you need to, switch out omnipods to reduce the nerfs. I'd suggest replacing or taking omnipods that have the minimum number of energy hard points to the number of weapons you intend to take. This will leave the nerfs as low as possible for your design.)

All your considerations are rather nice mech choices. Any of them should serve you well.

Edited by Tesunie, 25 May 2015 - 06:15 AM.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

SCR and MDD all CTs are the same, so it doesn't matter (though MDD-A has the STs you'll use the most).

TBR-A/C/D are the same, P and S different, so I'd go P,S, and C/D (A still $ only).

If looking to take most advantage of the sale, buy the most expensive mechs, since that ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Edited by Terciel1976, 25 May 2015 - 06:28 AM.

#5 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

Make sure SCR-D is one of them, since it has all of the available missile omnipods for SCR, which saves you some money if you want to try SRM or S-SRM at some point. All you need to change on it is to get the head from the Prime that has the energy hardpoint and you have a perfectly optimized set of omnipods to start with.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostGagis, on 25 May 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Make sure SCR-D is one of them, since it has all of the available missile omnipods for SCR, which saves you some money if you want to try SRM or S-SRM at some point. All you need to change on it is to get the head from the Prime that has the energy hardpoint and you have a perfectly optimized set of omnipods to start with.

Good point. Looking at it again, I'd go with the original three (P,C,D) SCRs. The A really only adds the "power fist" and you can just buy those at need.

For the MDD, again, the original three (P,A,B). The C only has ballistic arms. And ballistic arms on a MDD pretty much suck.

#7 Yusuf Khan

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the answers guys. :)
I think I will go with MDD P and SCR C to begin with, and move onto MDD A/B and SCR P/D.

Of course... God knows when I can afford those 4. :P

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostYusuf Khan, on 25 May 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

Thanks for all the answers guys. :)
I think I will go with MDD P and SCR C to begin with, and move onto MDD A/B and SCR P/D.

Of course... God knows when I can afford those 4. :P

I do suggest eliting three of one chassis before starting another. It makes a lot of difference to performance and it'll allow you to save cash sharing omnipods if you want.

#9 Yusuf Khan

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 25 May 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

I do suggest eliting three of one chassis before starting another. It makes a lot of difference to performance and it'll allow you to save cash sharing omnipods if you want.

Hmm, in that case, which one would you suggest as the first to master?

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostYusuf Khan, on 25 May 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

Hmm, in that case, which one would you suggest as the first to master?

SCR. Even post-nerf it's much more flexible and generally better chassis. The MDD does one thing (missiles) well, but even when doing that is very fragile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users