31 replies to this topic

#21 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:51 AM

OK, if we are going off the beaten path, I'll explain my choices. The first one is currently my favorite sniper, the second a good (if not flawed choice), and the third is a real dark horse pick.

#1 Panther (especially 10K):
The Panther is often described as a bad light, however I feel it is often misunderstood. The Panther is a bad traditional light, but a great sniper/fire support mech.

A Panther 10K has great ERPPC quirks (40% velocity) and good sustained RoF (keeps cool enough especially when skilled out).

Run the mech with an XL about 124 kph (with speed tweak) and it is fast enough to keep up with the group, avoid fire, and stay very maneuverable. It isn't light fast (like 140kph+), but it also isn't circle strafing at 200m either. This is purely a long range sniper/ poptarter. It does the job really well. You can also carry 2 SRM4s for backup incase the ERPPC arm gets destroyed.

If projectiles like ERPPCs aren't your strong suite (either aim or worse hit reg due to connection), it has good laser variants as well.

#2 Vindicator (especially 1AA):
This choice is definently off the beaten path. It is a flawed mech, but quirky enough that you may enjoy it.

First the benefits. It can go 116kph (speed tweak), fire 2 PPCs with low heat production, 40% velocity, and good RoF. It jumps excellent as well, it is very nimble for a Medium.

Negatives are a few. Arm hitboxes are rather big from the front, so arms can be vulnerable. Only have room for 1 head mounted MLaser for under 90m protection. The 1X variant is torture to grind due to poor hard points.

The 1R can mount 5 energy so you can carry adequate energy backup for close range, however it is slower than the 1AA and doesn't jump as well.

If you are performing your sniper role well, the under 90m and more vulnerable arms will be less of an issue. Still, this is a quirky and controversial choice. If you like a challenge that can pay off with smart piloting, try the Vindicator.

#3 Urbanmech:
Remember, we are talking off the beaten path :)

I think the Urbie is still MC only so you may want to keep this one at the back of your mind for when the C-Bill versions launch.

The Urbanmech he the same issue as the Panther, but slower yet. It has an engine cap of 180, so the best it can do with Speed Tweak is about 110kph I believe. I run mine with an XL170 (101kph).

It's negative is it's strength in a way. Small engine means more tonnage for heavier weapons and generally has the quirks to aid it. Also it has very high mount weapons and best of all, 360 torso twist range. It can also move fast in reverse for pop-out sniping.

First, ignore ballistics other than MGs. If you want to snipe, I run mine as the following (XL170 and DHS)

R63: 1 ERPPC, 2 SLasers, 3 MGs. JJs too
R60: 3 LLasers, no JJs
R60L: 2 ERLLasers, 4 MGs. JJs

The Urbie is slow, but it is generally able to keep up with the pack, can JJ, and can torso twist every which way. It's good reverse speed makes for good pop out sniping and best of all, people hate dieing from an Urbanmech...plust they are super cool :).

There are my choices. They are the odd ones, but I have fun using them for a Sniper/Fire Support roll.

#22 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:57 AM

You're right about the Panther 10K

I've been running this build,...

PNT-10K

I like it!

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostLexx, on 19 May 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

You're right about the Panther 10K

I've been running this build,...

PNT-10K

I like it!

It's a very underappreciated mech. Even after 66 matches I am still at 2.44 kdr. It is just so good at fire support. I personally feel the dual ERPPC is a bit too hot for sustained fire so I go 1 ERPPC and 2 SRM4. I like the SRMs too because I can alpha with the ERPPC when I run in and pounce on a wounded mech before running back out.

Overall though, a good choice though.

#24 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 19 May 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

OK, if we are going off the beaten path, I'll explain my choices. The first one is currently my favorite sniper, the second a good (if not flawed choice), and the third is a real dark horse pick.

#3 Urbanmech:
Remember, we are talking off the beaten path :)

I think the Urbie is still MC only so you may want to keep this one at the back of your mind for when the C-Bill versions launch.

The Urbanmech he the same issue as the Panther, but slower yet. It has an engine cap of 180, so the best it can do with Speed Tweak is about 110kph I believe. I run mine with an XL170 (101kph).

It's negative is it's strength in a way. Small engine means more tonnage for heavier weapons and generally has the quirks to aid it. Also it has very high mount weapons and best of all, 360 torso twist range. It can also move fast in reverse for pop-out sniping.

First, ignore ballistics other than MGs. If you want to snipe, I run mine as the following (XL170 and DHS)

R63: 1 ERPPC, 2 SLasers, 3 MGs. JJs too
R60: 3 LLasers, no JJs
R60L: 2 ERLLasers, 4 MGs. JJs

The Urbie is slow, but it is generally able to keep up with the pack, can JJ, and can torso twist every which way. It's good reverse speed makes for good pop out sniping and best of all, people hate dieing from an Urbanmech...plust they are super cool :).

There are my choices. They are the odd ones, but I have fun using them for a Sniper/Fire Support roll.

Wooohaaa an Urban Sniper. That sounds tempting

#25 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

The Gauss + ECM Cicada.

#26 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

View PostGayang3, on 19 May 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Wooohaaa an Urban Sniper. That sounds tempting

It's actually decent at it. The 3 LLaser setup removes JJs for me. I hate that, but it does too well for me to actually remove it.

I run the ERPPC on the R63 only because I miss having an Urbie with a large weapon barrel. It could run lasers instead. I also find the R63 does PPCs ok too. If you run 2 SLasers and 3 MGs, you have at least some under 90m protection...some. Still, I'd go ERPPC. It just takes some practice to get used to unquirked PPCs (velocity wise).

Still, the high mount energy and good reverse speeed makes for great hill humping/pop out sniping and the JJs allow for poptarting. If you can use terrain well for defense, it the Urbie can be usable and fun.

#27 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostGayang3, on 19 May 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey guys, I always always used to run Assaults (Banshees and Atlases) but recently I have been introduced to the Sniper side of MWO.

I am now running the Raven 3-L (2 ERLLs, NARC, Super NARC module), the Cicada 3M (2 ERLL, 2 ML) and the Raven 4X (2ERLL+ ERLL range module+ 30% ERLL range quirk) and having a blast.

I love being able to NARC a slow direwhale and watch it wither and die in a rain or LRMS, or flank and take out the legs off of a slow Assault as it tries to run for cover or standing besides an Assault and pew-pewing as everyone else seems to not notice me. :)

Are these 3 the best sniper mechs/builds out there? Who else should I be trying?

Cicada 3C with an ER PPC and an AC/10. It's amazingly effective as a highly mobile low profile sniper, it has a very respectable optimal range and good sustainable DPS for a medium. A skilled sniper can easily kill most lights and fast mediums with it in close combat and it's extremely hard to counter snipe it in the hands of a good sniper.

#28 Artifact

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostGayang3, on 19 May 2015 - 09:31 AM, said:

hmmmmm, I've tried ERPPCs a lot (I once ran a 4 ERPPC Banshee, the PPC Machine Gunner) but couldn't really master the weapon. It spreads damage, it's hit or miss (unlike being able to track with a laser) and is not very useful in a close in fight. This is probably because I suck at this.

Well, I agree it's not for everyone. With a TC, erppc modules, and practice, the sheer mobility of the build is a blast to play. Will it put down Firestarter-like damage numbers? Of course not. But it /is/ fun, and really, REALLY survivable if you play it right.

Edited by Artifact, 19 May 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#29 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Ok, so I am going to give the Gauss Cicada a try today (I think that's the most affordable mech from this list of suggestions). Then the Shadowhawk 2K.

#30 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I like SDR5K! though the SDR 3D would probably be a smarter sniper. I love those 4 mgs when the shis hits the fan.

#31 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

TBT 7K with 2 PPC + AC5

#32 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts