Ask The Devs 9!

140 replies to this topic

#61 Hokek

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Could u give some precise informations about hauses?
fe:
house XYZ
spec weapon:...
elite mech:...
effects:.... (like +10% of money ect)
This could help in plan a strategy

#62 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostBobfrombobtown, on 03 July 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

From the MechLab video it appears that the BattleTech Construction rules are being followed more correctly than say MW4. My questions here are:

*snip*

5 ) Will standing in water affect heatsinks in submerged locations and allow them to operate at double efficiency?

5) was already answered with a 'yes'. Try reading past Ask The Devs episodes :)

View PostORIGINAL SteelWolf, on 03 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I've asked this very question 2-3 times already on this forum.

We'll just have to keep asking it until it gets answered then :blink:

#63 docjohn

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'm trying to decide on controller hardware.
Will the system support, foot-pedals and throttle bodies.
Old time pod pilot, trying to recreate the steer by feet, torso twist by joystick...

btw, fries with bacon is best. anything with bacon is best. (Even Canadian bacon!)

:)

#64 light487

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

My question has mainly to do with matchmaking and how all that kind of thing is going to work. Here are a couple of posts I've made on the topic with suggestions and speculation. So I'd like some confirmations and explanations of what to expect.

I'd really like to find out what kind of "match making" there is actually going to be in this game. I'm not concerned that it will be like WoT.. I'm just curious what IS going to be happening with this side of things.

When I join a server on Tribes: Ascend, it's basically a first-in-first-serve thing until the server is full. There is no restriction on who joins.. there's no actual pre-match, matching up of players.. there's just a list of match types and it throws you in the first available for that match type. I would assume that this is how MWO is going to play out. MW:LL is very similar to this except that you get a list of servers and you connect to those servers if there is space available.

It all comes down to how matches are played. From what I've understood, a match ends when everyone has been killed or the objective(s) has been met. There was another glimpse at a match where you have 4 mechs in a dropship and can respawn 4 times. In MW:LL on the other hand it is a timed match where you keep respawning over and over until the match time ends. In Tribes: Ascend, it is also a timed match with unlimited respawns until the time runs out or the objective(s) are met.... It's all going to come down to how matches are won and how many respawns are available each time.

If you only get a single spawn, like in WoT, then pre-match match making of somekind will be required.. if there are multi-spawns for that match type, then still some kind of pre-match stuff needs to take place.. if there are unlimited spawns, then no match making needs to be done....

So would be nice to know this kind of stuff.

Yes.. at first I thought the same about BV.. that it only takes things so far.. but then if you think about it, what would be the point of being skilled if you only ever play against other people with equal skills? I think it is important to feel "powerful".. so that if you are a really skilled player, you can take out a light or medium mech and still feel powerful when playing against the enemy team.

So I think a combination of BV and pilot skill would be better.. and also a tiered system, such as leagues, that can be optioned during match selection.

1. BV + Pilot Skill: It looks at the global pilot ranking and takes into account the BV and "rates" the combination at a certain total value that is then used in the matchmaking.
2. Leagues: Here you can opt to join any league higher than your ranking and maybe one or two levels lower than your ranking. If there were 10 levels of ranking, someone who is only level 5 ranking could join games up to level 10 but could not join games below rank 3.

I hope that there is more than one way the player can option for matchmaking rather than it being just one or the other.

This also brings up the question of how selecting a match is going to take place and what mechanic is in place that will allow you to select the loadout before the map loads.. It's not simply a matter of light, medium, heavy like in a tank game.. there are a lot more factors involved, one major one being that of heat management. If you know it's going to be Frozen City, you'd load out differently than if it was a tropical island.

#65 Paul Stern

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

have you noticed this beautiful fan-made reseen-design of the "warhammer" ( --> http://mwomercs.com/...e-seen-concept/ ) ?

#66 Deblin Thrake

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNo farthest than a shadow's width...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

Got some Qs on Matchmaking:

1.- suppose i'm in a merc/house lance, but at the time i want to play none of my buddies are online, there's no proble with going on my own on a match and will be put with other ppl of my house or other mercs, right?
2.- the matches are generated by the server or can be created by users?
3.- If matches, are server generated, how can we make sure our whole lance gets into the same match?
4.- will there be merc contract postigns on ALL matches and sides? or only on some of them?
5.- suppose i'm part of house davion, and there are no matches for my house available, i'll have to wait till a match appears to play?
6.- When joining a match, do you have to wait till the server is full and starts or you can join on a match that is already ongoing?

#67 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

From the official mechlab video it seems the hunchback has "double" armor.

Are limited ammunition weapons going to do "double damage"?

I assume energy weapons will be left doing "half damage" (in an effort to reduce boating, reflect the value that this weapon can't run out of ammunition, and is immune to ammo rack hits).

#68 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

View PostDer Zivilist, on 03 July 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

5) was already answered with a 'yes'. Try reading past Ask The Devs episodes :D

Link or it didn't happen. (Search function gets plenty of results, but no result with an answer. Only mention specifically in "Ask the Devs" is that if you take off a heatsink you can save it for later use. That is in Ask the Devs 5).
Revised questions since a small part of one of my questions was answered:

1 ) Will we be allowed to switch out standard armor for Ferro-Fibrous armor or swap the standard chassis for an Endo-Steel chassis?
2 ) Will we be able to place where the critical slots taken up by these bulkier armors or will they have automatic distribution of some kind?
3 ) Will we be able to swap out standard engines for XL engines?
4 ) When we add heatsinks and can we place them in the open critical slot of our choosing?
5 ) Will standing in water affect heatsinks in submerged locations and allow them to operate at double efficiency?

Edited by Bobfrombobtown, 04 July 2012 - 05:57 AM.

#69 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

Probably A silly question but im suprised its not been said yet, so imma throw it out anyway.

I've seen a large amount of threads regarding the clans, balancing them, how and when they are going to be implemented, Pve content etc. So it'd be nice to see less of the same clan discussion threads.

So anyways I thought it might be worth an ask. Have you thought about how the clans would be:

a.) Joining the MWO Universe
b.) How they would be balanced relative to the InnerSphere
c.) Will they be playable (with their own com warfare slot) or come as a purely PvE enemy.
or d.) Not thought about them at all yet because its too early (This I would completley understand :blink:)

And if you would, would you be willing to disclose any further info about your thoughts :D

#70 CL_Kodiak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have read about the way games are setup via Matchmaking, BUT a HUGE HUGE part of playing the other mechwarrior titles revolved around dropping in with just your "guild", for lack of a better term, and conducting training and or practices on a regular basis. We also tested new recruits using this format.

Will there be the ability to set up "custom" games where you invite the people you choose to fight? For instance 1 v 1 with the rest spectating? 4 v 1 (4 senior guild members vs a recruit)

#71 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Will the sensor ranges in MWO be more reflective of those described in the BattleTech tabletop game, or those in the previous MechWarrior computer games?

On the one hand:
  • The Short-Range Scanner Sweep "provides a MechWarrior with a two-kilometer sweep". (CBT Companion, pg. 237)
  • The Long-Range Sensor Sweep "shows a 32 square kilometer map [~5.66 km per side], usually relayed to the battle computer from satellites", and "enemy 'Mechs are usually displayed as well, but no detail cam be obtained unless they are within two kilometers of the scanning 'Mech". (CBT Companion, pg. 237)
  • Standard Jamming Gear "enables a MechWarrior to jam communications up to two kilometers away against any BattleMech currently targeted on the primary viewing screen". (CBT Companion, pg. 239)
  • Communications equipment is capable of "direct point-to-point operational ranges (without bouncing) averaging 50 kilometers on the ground". (TechManual, pg. 212)
  • The searchlight "can light up targets as far away as five kilometers". (TechManual, pg. 237)

On the other hand, the previous MW games generally limited sensor range to one kilometer.

#72 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

We need an update on the presence of Unseen/Reseen mechs in MWO.

Specifically, will we have a Warhammer or Marauder available to pilot at launch?

(I would far prefer to spend my time earning unlocks for those two mech chassis than any other in game so far. If a need to start in a Cataphract or Catapult K2, so be it, but please update us!)

#73 Quintus Allard

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

How do you propose balancing house affiliation to ensure less popular houses (I'm looking at you Liao) still have a reasonable number of players?

Will there be a "sniper mode" vision or reticle for extreme long-range direct weapons like Gauss rifles / ER PPC or indirect weapons like Arrow IV's?

NARC-beacons, glorious for teams of scouts paired with heavy LRM platforms: how will they be managed? Sticking to their target for X seconds? How much ammo will the launcher have?

#74 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

What about mod support?

I know for a fact that there are thousands of people out there, just waiting for a chance to customize their skins, decals, music, sounds, HUDs, special effects, create new maps and even Mechs to share among each other and the community as a whole. It'd be awesome to give people a chance to get creative and draw more people into the game as a result.

#75 Bobfrombobtown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostQuintus Allard, on 04 July 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

NARC-beacons, glorious for teams of scouts paired with heavy LRM platforms: how will they be managed? Sticking to their target for X seconds? How much ammo will the launcher have?

Oh, good question, I've also wondered how NARCs will be implemented. In TT the NARC stays attached to a 'Mech for the remainder of the battle. (in other words, until the 'Mech is destroyed or the scenario is ended due to "victory conditions".)

#76 Cyph3r

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationShropshire, UK

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Will MWO support multiple controllers?

For example I have a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, which is recognized as 2 separate controllers; the throttle and the stick. And I also have a set of Saitek Combat Rudder pedals which I'd like to use for torso twisting. That's 3 separate controllers and very few games allow using them all at once.

Please tell me MWO will support this!

#77 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

What is the biggest problem you have run into during beta testing, and how has it affected the game?

Will there be support for the use of tablet computers to use as, for example, a minimap or info display - much like the display we see on the artemis?

Edited by Sleipnir, 04 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#78 Mixtus

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

1. Will any chance to have some API for hardcore fa(u)n's and hw/sw hackers?

For example: export of "telemetry data", speed, ammo count, heat, etc, like most of simulators, and some MMO(RPG) do?
We like to write and share with community our applications for Logitech G Series screens, even for for Saitek ProFlight devices.

2. MultiScreen support? Just FOV or we will be able detach/move and/or customize HUD?

Edited by Mixtus, 04 July 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#79 raptorian

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would still like to know more about how you intend to do regions (NA, EU etc.) and what restrictions or freedoms we may have.

If you've yet to decide on a system, Tribes Ascend's way of doing it is most agreeable and allows flexibility when playing with friends in other timezones, or if you just can't find a game in your area and need to look elsewhere it is simple to do. 90-120 ping is a small price to pay to play with friends.

#80 Stray Ion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have "yet" to read officially if the clans will be playable, but if they are I would wish to join a clan. I am worried about losing points with House Kurita if I have to go against them. I doubt I will get an official answer about the clans, but would it be best to switch allegiance back to Lone Wolf and play it safe in accordance with prophecy?

Edited by Stray Ion, 04 July 2012 - 10:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users