- - - - -

I Know This Has Been Said About The Firestarter...

12 replies to this topic

#1 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:26 PM

But I hae had contradictory reports on which chasis to buy, either the 9-H or the 9-S.
My gameplay varies in what kind of mood I am in on the day, but I want something fast (ump jets or not, I do not really care if it has them or not) but an ECM definitely (at least I am sure the firestarter equips an ECM system...

But moreover, if you could please dispense with smuffy website about load-outs, whomever owns a firestarter, what weapons configurations do you find the most useful (either for long range or brawling)?

Only reason that I do not mind if it has ump jets or not is because I am still a novie (or rookie, however you want to view it) at using jump jets as my aim is not very good while jumping and firing at enemies, although I have sort of mastered ump jets when umping onto roofs and the such...

But what would everyones recommendations be, concerning the weapons load-out or either 'Mech and the best to buy?

Thanks any and all who give me some tips and pointers. It is the net 'Mech I am buying after I finish upgrading my Raven to Master. And i am not all not all that familiar with the firestarter, but from what I have seen, it is a pretty good machine to pilot on the batlefield.

House Liao thanks you all for your generosity in helping me :-)

#2 ParsaManne

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

None of the firestarters ingame are ECM capable but they compensate it by being thoughest and hardest hitting lights around.
For loadout advice stick with the quirks and big XL engines.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

Each Firestarter has laser quirks so put in a large engine and boat lasers, depending on which variant you're using. They all have jump jets, but none have ECM (few mechs in the game have ECM).

#4 Gundam Prime

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAndorra

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Buy panthers. :P

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:15 AM

You state a dislike for Smurfy build links but that website could already have helped you a lot in regards to information about Firestarters.

This page would have told you that there are no Firestarters that can mount ECM (in the ECM column): http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

While lower down on the same page you could have found the quirks and hence the weapons that tend to shine for each variant: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ght_innersphere

Keeping in mind that all lights tend to need XL engines, Endo and most also use Ferro you could already try your own builds. With the major difference being how you take as big an XL engine you want/need (almost all Lights need speed, Firestarters certainly do) and how you can balance this with weapon tonnage, heatsinks tonnage and the amount of jumpjets you'd like.

If you mean that you'd like some more explanation on the reasons for certain build decisions instead of a sole link (which I also consider to be a not very helpful 'answer' on mech builds), than that's something I can understand completely. But like I said, the only real difference you'll see is slight tweaking on the upper size XL engine sizes and the tonnage taken in weapons/equipment.

Try and get better acquainted with Smurfy. It's one of the top tools for beginning to expert players alike IMO.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

as has been said at current there is no ECM firestarter available.

if you want an ECM Mech with Jumpjets look at the SDR-5D with ECM and 3 lasers or if you do not want to fly the RVN-3L can mount a variety of laser and missile loadouts or the CDA-3M can mount a variety of energy loadouts and a single ballistic weapon, those 3 all have similar top speed to the Firestarter.

my personal favorite Firestarter is the Ember (Firestarter Hero Mech) with 4 MPL (shorter burn time than ML but better range than SPL) and 4 MGs (generate no heat and are devastating to a Mechs internal structure) with 2 tonnes of ammo, 4 Jumpjets and an XL255 engine. I compromise a bit on speed to allow for a better weapons loadout, however I still manage about 130KPH with the speed tweak skill unlocked.
I have the Endo Steel (takes up the same number of slots as fero fibrus armor but gives more of a weight saving) and Double Heat Sinks (costs 1.5 million cbills but is extremely useful on almost all Mechs) upgrades fitted.

this makes the Ember rather powerful, it is able to dogfight with other lights (although it will loose to an equally skilled pilot in the FS9-A with 6+ SPL), or kill heavier Mechs if it gets behind them or finds unarmored components and if the Mech threatens to overheat you can keep firing the MGs while you cool off

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:50 AM

To the OP, ECM is NOT a novice tool. Jump jets are much more of a novice tool than ECM is.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:02 AM

To properly use ECM requires a critical understanding of the way the system works and knowing when to switch it between counter and disrupt and how to do it without really thinking about it.

Proper ECM use can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

#9 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

FS9-A, best brawler out of the lot (8SPL)
FS9-S, best pokey ******* out of the lot (5MPL)
FS9-Ember best endgame light, its 4 machineguns will savage open components on mechs so if you stay alive or better yet fairly fresh till nearer the end you will be very effective in that (4MG-4ML)

even with the new quirk pass its going to change **** all apart from the better players will shine more than people only being good with the mech cause of the quirks.

Modules to fit are radar deprivations and seismic (but thats going to cost you 12million but they will keep you alive more times than you count)

If you want to know advanced tactics and game styles on piloting lights, specifically firestarters then many wont doubt that im your man so give me a PM if you wish to know more.

#10 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:07 AM

View Postmailin, on 19 May 2015 - 02:02 AM, said:

To properly use ECM requires a critical understanding of the way the system works and knowing when to switch it between counter and disrupt and how to do it without really thinking about it.

True, but the simple benefits from ECM you get by just having it on your mech are the very definition of a novice tool. You equip it and it does its (basic and most important) work totally automatically. You don't need to press any additional buttons and it does not require something like ammo (AMS only for advanced players yo!).

In this it basically functions akin to the regular viewing mode, with choosing when to use Thermal or Night Vision being 'advanced functions'.

Its not called the Magic Jesus Box for nothing, its automatic benefits totally outweigh its paltry weight on even the lightest of mechs. ECM is a no-brainer on mechs that can take it, and if all mechs could take it then all would. That, to me, makes ECM more of a novice friendly item than just about everything.

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

As mentioned before, if you want brawling, go FS9-A. or build Small pulse on whatever FS9 you're leveling. But for Range? I prefer the vaunted FS9-H, with dual mediums in the CT and a gauss with three tons of ammo. You may prefer a slightly larger engine without the lasers, and I wouldn't blame you. Haven't managed to run dry of gauss ammo since I added em in.

But seriously, I've held a flank alone against a lance for two minutes with that mech. Best gauss trainer, best ranged light, in my opinion.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

#12 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:38 PM

I would stay away from the Firestarters till they are fixed. They currently are protected by bad hit registration, which means you will *think* you are doing it right, only to discover its damage bug shield was giving you a false sense of security when you switch to other light mechs.

Its been nerfed once, and will be nerfed again. I would advise choosing a different light until they fix it.

#13 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:34 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 19 May 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

I would stay away from the Firestarters till they are fixed. They currently are protected by bad hit registration, which means you will *think* you are doing it right, only to discover its damage bug shield was giving you a false sense of security when you switch to other light mechs. Its been nerfed once, and will be nerfed again. I would advise choosing a different light until they fix it.

That means he should pilot a locust? ^_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users