Dear Pgi. The Reasons Why Everybody Hates Cw Right Now:

88 replies to this topic

#41 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yes, you are correct, the OP DI3T3R is indeed a troll.

#42 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:04 PM

Perhaps instead of calling him a troll, ask why your so quick to jump on the defense. I think the man is spot on. CW right now is just another game mode like assault or resource capture. Absolutely offers nothing more.

Practically speaking, there is no sense of achievement or story lore wise at all. Its just feels empty and repetitive. Thats a big gapping hole thats been here game wise for a while now.

Call him a troll all you want but I dont think you'll be able to defend or explain how this game has any depth at all. This game's strongest point is its combat face, but beyond that its lacking.

Edited by ManDaisy, 23 May 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#43 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 23 May 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

Perhaps instead of calling him a troll, ask why your so quick to jump on the defense. I think the man is spot on. CW right now is just another game mode like assault or resource capture. Absolutely offers nothing more.

No Elo, loves me some no Elo

#44 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 23 May 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

You wish i was

#45 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 23 May 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bah, I missed that. Ah, thats why...

Posted Image

My Troll radar was jammed!

Edited by CocoaJin, 23 May 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#46 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostStar Colonel Silver Surat, on 23 May 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

The Timberwolf/Stormcrow nerf seems to have devastated premade morale.

Not mine , still having lots of Victorys after switching from Davion to Ghost Bears.

#47 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:06 PM

My problem with community warfare is as such:

It's boring. Why? it removes choice as a feature by forcing people into paths. So instead of fighting in a tunnel, over a saddle, in a city, playing a waiting game, or using one of the other dozen tactics available in each game mode. Each game mode has unique things and so does CW; it's just that cw's choices are made for you and that is it's thing.

You attack, so you attack a gate, you defend so you defend that gate, and so on.

The map design compounds this by limiting you to moving down certain channels so that you can't feint or flank easily. It's kind of a trudge between things at least on the larger maps compounding the problems.

This is worse when you consider than CW is essentially one game mode with a few variations and offers nothing to say conquest players who enjoy moving, tactics, and fast mechs.

I'll stay with vanilla MWO until CW is something more than glorified assault with re-spawns.

#48 Star Colonel Silver Surat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, on top of the complete lack of story and persistence and economy, the biggest issue with CW is the junky map design. It doesn't FEEL one bit like mechwarrior. It feels like a WW1 trench sniping sim (lots of poking and long bouts of boredom punctuated by moments of "going over the top" bayonet charge panic), which is absolutely the opposite of what I want to feel when I boot up a game called MECHwarrior.

Edited by Star Colonel Silver Surat, 23 May 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#49 Ghost_19Hz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSHB

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

I don't play it for reasons i've stated before, but the strongest reasons are that i feel like i'm forced to take a light mech, and forced to suicide charge through a choke point.

#50 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostGhost_19Hz, on 23 May 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

I don't play it for reasons i've stated before, but the strongest reasons are that i feel like i'm forced to take a light mech, and forced to suicide charge through a choke point.

Why the hell would you take a clan light?

#51 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostStar Colonel Silver Surat, on 23 May 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Yeah, on top of the complete lack of story and persistence and economy, the biggest issue with CW is the junky map design. It doesn't FEEL one bit like mechwarrior. It feels like a WW1 trench sniping sim (lots of poking and long bouts of boredom punctuated by moments of "going over the top" bayonet charge panic), which is absolutely the opposite of what I want to feel when I boot up a game called MECHwarrior.

Wait what? But that's exactly how it's described in the books, in the lore. Make up your minds, that's what so many lore purists asked for.

#52 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

Posted this earlier gonna repeat it.

Pgi needs to do this.
Get a story board and make some scenarios.
Example.
Set Objective to this: Whatever the current time limit for a match.
If the objects are not met, the scenario is failed.

Aggressor Block 1: Small Unit infiltrates planet to eliminate whatever objective. Radar Installation etc.
Defender Block 1: Protect given asset again small unit allocated to defense.
The rest of unit unable to land until Block 1 objectives are complete.

Block 2: If Block 1 is completed rest of unit can land. Beach head.
If not drop deck is used until Block one completed.
Protect or destroy dropship: Designated temporary base and must be guarded.

Block 3: Move to main objectives. A random number of set objectives.
A.Destroy planetary defenses in various locations.
B.Control grid location for x amount of time.
C. Eliminate x amount of defenders.
D. Destroy command and control. 1 mech designated the command mech must be destroyed.
Command mech must hold designated grid location or considered destroyed to prevent hide the command mech syndrome.
E. Capture or destroy supply cache. Goodies spoilers.
1. Aggressor recieves X amount of weapons, ammo or even modules awarded for this one to each player.
2. Defenders receive X amount cbills, gxp or MC.
All or a percentage of the scenario must be completed in said time limit 30 minutes or until all mechs are destroyed.
Anyway scenarios or real objectives would add some real spice to CW.
Smaller scenarios within the match will prevent a unit putting all it's mechs in one basket.
Sure a unit can hide behind the base for protection, but their going to lose the rest of the planet and the scenario.
Any way just a really rough draft until I get some more ideas.
Feel free to chime in.

#53 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:50 PM

As previously said in many posts, CW is my fav game mod, and my team is very cw focused.
So, "everybody" in the title is not the correct word.
CW require organization to do well.

CW battles are awesome!
I'm very bored about those "quicky", also called skirmish matches.
I wonder why ppl still are dropping in skirmish que (also conquest and assault matches are skirmish, let's say the truth).... 3 years dropping for the same thing????
Imo, those hating CW, maybe don't understand very well how CW works....
Beside, there are a lot of free stuff thanks to faction rewards, such as c-bills, mech bays, etc.

For thos one saying "it's not made for solos".... enter a team, or form a team!
CW or a campaign mode will never be made for soloist, because of what I said previously: it requires organization.

Folks, less qq, more pew pew.

#54 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 23 May 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

For thos one saying "it's not made for solos".... enter a team, or form a team!

I work nights, and my days off change every 4 weeks.

So all I have to do to join a group(and trust me, I've tried) is find an English speaking group that is (consistently)active from 11pm to 5am central standard time, that isn't some kind of super strict lore abiding group, that doesn't have "practice"days, and those members active during 11pm to 5am central standard time aren't just up drinking or smoking pot while playing, and are people I can actually get along with.

beyond that...I shouldn't HAVE to join a group to play CW and have it be fun.

The bottom line still is, and always has been, that they designed CW around large premade groups despite the fact that large premade groups are a very small, but very vocal, fraction of the community. and until they fix that, CW will continue to be DOA.

#55 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 23 May 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

I work nights, and my days off change every 4 weeks.

So all I have to do to join a group(and trust me, I've tried) is find an English speaking group that is (consistently)active from 11pm to 5am central standard time, that isn't some kind of super strict lore abiding group, that doesn't have "practice"days, and those members active during 11pm to 5am central standard time aren't just up drinking or smoking pot while playing, and are people I can actually get along with.

beyond that...I shouldn't HAVE to join a group to play CW and have it be fun.

The bottom line still is, and always has been, that they designed CW around large premade groups despite the fact that large premade groups are a very small, but very vocal, fraction of the community. and until they fix that, CW will continue to be DOA.

The word "organization" also means this: a large team, which members can be found 24 hour a day.
Any time of the day, I know that I can choose to drop solo, or I can choose to drop with my team.

I'm sure that if you look well you can find the team close to your requirements.
And you know what? you can go on dropping solo whenever you want, or even change team if you find one that fits better to you.

That's said, imo, "campaign" and "solo" are 2 words that cannot go together; I mean, nobody can fix that.
Or at least I cannot figure out, for instance, how a solo soldier should be usefull in a war that last "years", without any direction, information, orders, etc.
In a small part, it's the same reason why solo que and group que were divided.

#56 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

The problems I see with CW:

- In the universe all bases seems to have 2 doors and be unaccessible in any other way. So scouting is still useless, fight happens always in same places. Maps are small.
- All planets are equal and have the same maps.
- Taking planets is pointless except for updating the map. There is no advantage in gaining and keeping a planet.
- Losing planets is not a bit deal.
- Factions are something you change like your socks. RP is missing except for forum wars...
- There is no strategic aspect, the system decides what you can attack.
- Factions can have "bubbles", there is no supply line concept.
- There is no resources concept, we are fighting exactly for what?

Basically it is just a game mode with an automatically updated map.

#57 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:21 PM

To the OP's list I'd like to add:

Map design in CW
You force players down lanes. The result of this?
  • There is zero room for creativity to catch your opponent unaware or smartly outmaneuver him. As a consequence the gameplay get stale - really really fast
  • Long range alphas dominate while brawlers are situationally useful and light mechs which rely on speed and close range weaponry are shafted. Heck, it is still the same crap: laser spam and so many layers of ECM that soon even ACs will have a hard time to penetrate that pffff

Diversity of the Maps
It is basically always the same mode. Heck, even solo play offers more variety.

Game mechanics straight from the year 2007
  • Spawn camping
  • Premade vs PuG

#58 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:01 AM

View PostRomeo Deluxe, on 23 May 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

Yes, you are correct, the OP DI3T3R is indeed a troll.

Weird...he brings up some good points which are shared by quite a few people on the forums if you have followed several threads over the months.

You instead just stomp with your feet and yell "Bad boy insults my shiny toy. Bad boy idiooot. [pause] Moooommmyyyyyyyyyyy"

#59 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 23 May 2015 - 11:12 PM, said:

The problems I see with CW:

- In the universe all bases seems to have 2 doors and be unaccessible in any other way. So scouting is still useless, fight happens always in same places. Maps are small.
- All planets are equal and have the same maps.
- Taking planets is pointless except for updating the map. There is no advantage in gaining and keeping a planet.
- Losing planets is not a bit deal.
- Factions are something you change like your socks. RP is missing except for forum wars...
- There is no strategic aspect, the system decides what you can attack.
- Factions can have "bubbles", there is no supply line concept.
- There is no resources concept, we are fighting exactly for what?

Basically it is just a game mode with an automatically updated map.

This would be a no-pgi MWO :)

Still, solos vs premade would be an issue, and that's the main qq from "soloist community".

#60 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:31 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 23 May 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

The word "organization" also means this: a large team, which members can be found 24 hour a day.
Any time of the day, I know that I can choose to drop solo, or I can choose to drop with my team.

That doesn't address anything I said.

I'm sure that if you look well you can find the team close to your requirements.

here. let me bold the relevant portion of my comment..."So all I have to do to join a group(and trust me, I've tried)

And you know what? you can go on dropping solo whenever you want, or even change team if you find one that fits better to you.

the discussion is CW, not the solo queue. I know I can use the solo queue whenever I want. but again, we are talking about CW.

That's said, imo, "campaign" and "solo" are 2 words that cannot go together; I mean, nobody can fix that.
Or at least I cannot figure out, for instance, how a solo soldier should be usefull in a war that last "years", without any direction, information, orders, etc.

this is a game, not real life. the goal is for the game to be fun.

In a small part, it's the same reason why solo que and group que were divided.

They were split because, just like now in CW, 12 man premade stomps are not fun.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 24 May 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

and that's the main qq from "soloist community".

A.K.A: The VAST majority of the player population.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users