25 replies to this topic

#1 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Simple thread, if you had a time machine what time would you travel to and what would you do there?

Me?

I'd dress up as The Grim Reaper than travel to Medieval Europe and walk through random villages just to scare the crap out of people.

What would you do?

#2 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I would go in future in time where people start to travel trough space and obviously join then ;)

#3 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I would travel a month or so into the future, for obvious reasons ;)

#4 Lahzarus

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

I would go back throughout my life and slap myself for every stupid mistake i ever made....yeah that would be a lot

#5 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Go into the future when I can pilot a real mech.

#6 TheHeater

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Ohhhh, man I wish I could go back in time. I'd take state. Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

#7 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I would travel to 3055 and would buy a brand new ZPH-1A or 2A Tarantula. Then i travel back to the current time. ;)

#8 Valhakar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 161 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I would go back in time the year before I lost my son and spend more quality time with him. (He isnt dead, just a bad divorce that was a Jenner vs. Awesome match. Havent seen him since.)

On the Silly front.

April 30th 1945 and help bury Hitler then **** on his grave.
October 14th 1066, I would not change the outcome. I just want to see the end of the Saxon's shield wall as a tactic.
*exact date withheld due to internet privacy* the day my ex-wife was born and be there to slap her.
*exact date withheld due to internet privacy the day my current wife was born and be the first one to kiss her.

Edited by Valhakar, 01 July 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#9 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Any interference in the past would be too dangerous. Even if I could travel back and fourth to monitor the changes to the future, unilaterally changing humanity isn't something I'd do. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to make such decisions for the entire human race, as that would make me a defacto dictator, and I wouldn't trust a committee or polled group of humans to reach a consensus on necessarily wise decisions either.

Traveling to the future potentially creates the opposite problem. Unless the results are unequivocally good, one would likely face a team of future humans designed to make sure the trip was a failure. After all, the future would know that one did it, having future temporal technology and a full knowledge of events after said time travel. On the other hand, if it was a resounding success that contributed to humanity's success, one's trip probably become considered a part of future history, and one might instead have a welcoming party... That's a tough choice. You'd either be killed, stranded, or sent on your way. On the other hand, maybe such a trip to the future and back would end up inflicting damage, and you'd be welcomed by a dishonest group with ulterior motives who'd want to trick you into continuing. On the flip side again, it's entirely possible that one might discover a future racked by catastrophe, and have the opportunity to prevent it (but then, would future humans not use said time travel technology to come back and warn present humans?).

Messing with the past should pretty much be considered an unequivocal no-no. Messing with the future likely would be, so I'd travel just to examine things I suppose, and so long as humanity appeared to be getting along on its way, I wouldn't attempt to change the present with knowledge of the future, not without a dire reason.

So what would I do with it? I'd use it to repair our ecological catastrophe. Think about it; we can't mine past or future resources; it just robs us of them anyways. The one thing we could use from the past, however, are renewable biological resources.

I'd go back to a time just after the Younger Dryas, perhaps 7-8K BC, so as to minimize chance of contact with any humans, I'd find healthy populations, and I'd start bringing back caspian tigers, and tasmanian tigers, blue whales, blue fin tuna, black-footed ferrets, basically anything that's gone extinct within the last century, and anything on this list (or well on its way to that list)

It would be a way to exploit time travel technology, to pull back something unique, of value, that couldn't be gotten otherwise, without risk of tampering damage to the past, present or future.

Then, once that operation was up and running, I'd push extremely hard for the establishment of Temporal Accords among the world governments, to make sure that time travel was only used for historical studies, or other non-damaging/interfering activities, and the development of technology to closely monitor the timeline.

Edited by Catamount, 01 July 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#10 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Where would I go.... A week in the past so I can correct my numbers so I can Win the lottery.

If the past is not an option then to 2692 and grab a Phoenix Hawk LAM.

#11 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Easy, I have actually put some thought into this:

The get rich quick plan
1. Buy gold in this timeperiod
2. Travel back to the 80's and show my hyper advanced smartphone and laptop to my parents to explain that I am from the future (it also helps that I am my dad's spitting image)
3. Use the gold to buy Microsoft stock
4. Sell the MS stock when Windows 95 hits the market
5. Now the Apple stocks are low buy some stock there
6. Wait for the first Iphone to hit the market and sell the stocks again
7. Leave a note to myself to explaining all the above steps in great detail

And some stuff I always wanted to do
- Visit Woodstock
- Note all the lottery numbers for the next 40 years (in case something happend to the get rich quick plan)
- Go back in time when my first dog was still alive and play with him (I loved that critter)
- Go to various historical events and take pictures
- Record all the missing Doctor Who episodes in the 60's

#12 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I would take my modern day knowledge back to the 1930s and find a way to profit off the great depression, then I would just live the rest of my life from that point filthy stinking rich. Also, before I die, I would write a book making "predictions" about the future based on what I know, but then end it by making up a bunch of random crap about aliens invading and world ending in 2012. I wouldn't publish it or anything, just leave it to be found after my death.

#13 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

What type of Time Machine are we talking about? Terminator rules: i would go back and introduce modern tech to Industrial Revolution era Europe and US.

Doctor Who rules: I would go into the future and pilot a real mech and then take it back home to be reverse engineered.

I don't really care about screwing up time. As anyone who watches Doctor Who knows, Time can be re-written because its a great big ball of weebly wobbly timey wimey stuff... also bow-ties are cool...

#14 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostSinnerX, on 01 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I would take my modern day knowledge back to the 1930s and find a way to profit off the great depression, then I would just live the rest of my life from that point filthy stinking rich. Also, before I die, I would write a book making "predictions" about the future based on what I know, but then end it by making up a bunch of random crap about aliens invading and world ending in 2012. I wouldn't publish it or anything, just leave it to be found after my death.

Just AWESOME

#15 Valhakar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 161 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

OK, so you are L. Ron Hubbard. Got it.

#16 TripleHex

• 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I think Nostradamus did this already...... ;)

#17 Vashts1985

• 1,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

i would go back a week with the winning power ball numbers.

duh

#18 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

go back in time...stab steve jobs...profit... lol

#19 Droid on Roids

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostCatamount, on 01 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Any interference in the past would be too dangerous. Even if I could travel back and fourth to monitor the changes to the future, unilaterally changing humanity isn't something I'd do. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to make such decisions for the entire human race, as that would make me a defacto dictator, and I wouldn't trust a committee or polled group of humans to reach a consensus on necessarily wise decisions either.

Traveling to the future potentially creates the opposite problem. Unless the results are unequivocally good, one would likely face a team of future humans designed to make sure the trip was a failure. After all, the future would know that one did it, having future temporal technology and a full knowledge of events after said time travel. On the other hand, if it was a resounding success that contributed to humanity's success, one's trip probably become considered a part of future history, and one might instead have a welcoming party... That's a tough choice. You'd either be killed, stranded, or sent on your way. On the other hand, maybe such a trip to the future and back would end up inflicting damage, and you'd be welcomed by a dishonest group with ulterior motives who'd want to trick you into continuing. On the flip side again, it's entirely possible that one might discover a future racked by catastrophe, and have the opportunity to prevent it (but then, would future humans not use said time travel technology to come back and warn present humans?).

Messing with the past should pretty much be considered an unequivocal no-no. Messing with the future likely would be, so I'd travel just to examine things I suppose, and so long as humanity appeared to be getting along on its way, I wouldn't attempt to change the present with knowledge of the future, not without a dire reason.

So what would I do with it? I'd use it to repair our ecological catastrophe. Think about it; we can't mine past or future resources; it just robs us of them anyways. The one thing we could use from the past, however, are renewable biological resources.

I'd go back to a time just after the Younger Dryas, perhaps 7-8K BC, so as to minimize chance of contact with any humans, I'd find healthy populations, and I'd start bringing back caspian tigers, and tasmanian tigers, blue whales, blue fin tuna, black-footed ferrets, basically anything that's gone extinct within the last century, and anything on this list (or well on its way to that list)

It would be a way to exploit time travel technology, to pull back something unique, of value, that couldn't be gotten otherwise, without risk of tampering damage to the past, present or future.

Then, once that operation was up and running, I'd push extremely hard for the establishment of Temporal Accords among the world governments, to make sure that time travel was only used for historical studies, or other non-damaging/interfering activities, and the development of technology to closely monitor the timeline.

Well you're just no fun at all are you?

London. August 14th, 1948.
Just before he takes the field, I whisper into the great Don Bradman's ear: 'Watch out for Hollies' second ball .. it's a googly'

Edited by Droid on Roids, 02 July 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#20 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

id play the stock market and get so ritch i would be able to spend my time with my gf/ soon to be wife and live in the country and still have a bitchen internet connection.

on the funner side of me i would take a modern a1 abrahm and drive it through the center of rome blasting flight of the valcerys

and also fly a f-22 rapter in world war two and bomb hitler a day early

Edited by JP Josh, 02 July 2012 - 06:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users