6 replies to this topic

#1 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virginia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

Is it possible PGI, to allow the drop size to be anywhere from 4 players to 12? Most of my unit is burned out only finding games agasint the Clans. Its actually driven players from this game. Tonight we had a 4 man ready to go and went to an IS world to hit, but no one else in our current faction was interested, they pointedly said only attack clans. What i am asking PGI, not other players, is why can you not allow a drop of 4 players on a planet under same rules as a 12 man drop? In the original FASA universe many planets were fought over by Lances all the way up to Regiments. (teams of 4-72 or higher) I think allowing a drop size diversity would allow more players to do something other then the same old routine. Smaller teams would start getting worlds, the Map would begin to show more change, and it would add some choices to who you drop against. Personally im tired of fighting the same teams over and over. I know players will have input, but i would like someone from PGI to address this. Thank you for your time.

Edited by SgtMac, 24 May 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#2 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:24 AM

No comments?

#3 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

bump

#4 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hey SgtMac.
There was mention about smaller drop sizes for Community Warfare maybe 2 months ago.
I don't believe there has been any further information about it though.... at least not that I have seen.

I agree with your post though.
Having some varied match sizes will change up the game play and provide different dynamics.
For the Clan vs IS issue, well, I think that is more to do with incentives.
At the moment there is no real reason to attack a planet other than to have it change ownership and it's really about stopping the clan invaders.
If there were more incentives to take a planet on a given border, then I would expect that there would be more IS vs IS battles in community warfare.

The small matches don't have to be for the domination of a planet either.
Nothing wrong with one faction conducting a raid on a neighbouring world to pinch some resources.
I know there was quite a bit of interest in having some pirate factions and I'd wager they would be right into those sort of shenanigans.

#5 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

As an additional thought, increasing the size of the teams for CW but holding some lances in reserve until an objective or some condition is completed would be interesting.

For example:
If the team sizes were increased to 20. (5x lances/4 Stars)
The initial drop for an attacking team might be a hot drop of a single lance/star into the match where the objective is to secure landing zones.
As these are established, in comes the next lance/star via dropship to start the push towards the enemy base and scout for any patrols.
For the defenders it would be a lance/star on patrol who has to discover the enemy drop point which then triggers the mobilization of additional lances/stars from mechbays at the base now that the alarm is given.
Then there are some reinforcements that get called in for either side when there is enough attrition in their forces. ie. a lance/star worth of mechs is destroyed.

The idea being that we could get more players into a match but they are then staggered in their deployment so the total in game at one time is kept as is. It would also encourage different mech selections for each drop as the objectives would change.
I wonder if that would be possible?

#6 SgtMac

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hiya 50 50, A dynamic battlefield would make drops very interesting. I fully understand that right now, the CW map is really about bragging rights. But even so, the smaller drops would get the map moving all over the place. Plus it would get guys into drops faster at odd hours instead of queing up and waiting up to half an hour for a 12 to form. Adding staggered drops into a battle would indeed be interesting as well and i would dare say you laid out the plan for it very well. Thats how combat evolves in the real world. Im just tossing my 2cents out here to get PGI thinking and help this game grow.

#7 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:18 PM

Not sure they would be too keen on letting small groups take over planets as I'm sure they are wanting to try and get as many people involved in each conflict as possible.
However, it would be reasonable to assume it could be done one smaller worlds where they may only be perceived as having a small outpost or colony.
You would definitely see more movement on the maps.

A nice way to incorporate small unit action would be to have small missions with different objectives that can impact on the primary mission.
So if the primary mission is to take out the orbital guns in the lead up to a full landing and territorial domination, small units are needed to complete outlying strategic objectives that are relevant to and impact the primary mission.
A quick strike at a munitions depot in an attack/defend sort of scenario grants or denies a bonus of some sort in the primary mission like the ability to use artillery strikes.
Scout out and eliminate the enemy commander so that side can't use the command function or battlegrid.

It gives each battle meaning and allows smaller groups to get involved faster and have an impact on the whole process while still allowing larger groups to have all the glory of completing the primary mission.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users