Ballistics And Mechlab Ui Need Some Love

3 replies to this topic

#1 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

About Mechlab, I did see that they are working on it and it can't come out soon enough. They also said it is still a work in progress so hopefully this helps highlight other needs to the new UI.

In general, any ballistic weapon other than the machine gun, should come with 1 ton of ammo as part of fitting the weapon. All suggestions below are for baseline stats, not quirks.

Pros:

Ballistics are great for managing heat generation and have faster flight time compared to ppc's, and missles in general.

Cons:

Ungodly cumbersome and unwieldy. HUGE, HEAVY, need room still to carry many tons of ammo, all have some sort of fitting draw back such as ammo can explode, or guass rifle itself.

The machine gun:

Role: Close Quarters, disable target by destroying components, DPS
Damage: 0.08 (8/100)
Crit %: Unclear
Fire rate: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 10 rounds per second)
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 120 m, Falloff out to 240 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 100 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 1000 rounds)
Slots: 1
Tonnage: *IS: 0.5, *Clan: 0.25
Damage per Ton per Second: *IS 1.60, *Clan: 3.20

This 1 of 4 ballistic weapons who's ammo per ton is efficient and the ONLY one that is easy to fit, but it lacks damage, and/or crit, and/or range. If you want it to help strip off armor, it needs damage. If you want it to disable a mech with already removed armor, it needs more crit. If you want a bit of both, it needs a faster fire rate (Think Plalanx CIWS).

For lol's: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Phalanx_CIWS

Auto Cannon 2 (IS):

Role: Long ranged damage, DPS or alpha strike
Damage: 2
Crit%: Unclear
Fire Rate: 1.28 rounds per second
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 720 m, Falloff out to 1440 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 2000 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 75 rounds)
Slots: 1
Tonnage: 6
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.43

This is 2 of 4 ballistic weapons who's ammo per ton is efficient but 6 tons is way too much. It's DPS contribution is equivalent 1/3 of a machine gun making it completely pointless, even with range. Who's gonna waste 6 tons on that? An ER Large Laser is 5 tons, 2 slots, instant hit (no flight time) and grassing your target for an instant of it's duration will do the same damage with unlimited ammo. Just 1 ERLL in this case is negligible heat gen. It's pretty hard to take full advantage of this gun's fire rate at long distances. A person would be firing this slowly at range to make the shots count, or firing quickly with a lot of misses.

If the A/C 2 is really meant to be a ranged machine gun, it needs about 300 rounds per ton of ammo, needs to fire about 3 rounds a second, needs to weight about 2 tons and needs more crit to match that of the machine gun. The baseline velocity also may need a slight increase to about 2250 m/s. Maybe increase it's fitting slots to 2.

If the A/C 2 is supposed to be part of a ranged alpha strike build, fitting must still be reduced to 2 slots, 2 tons at most, increase crit to match that of the guass rifle, even reduce ammo per ton to 60 and recycle time to as much as 0.4 rounds per second.

Auto Cannon 5 (IS):

Role: Long ranged damage, DPS or alpha strike
Damage: 5
Fire Rate: 0.60 rounds per second
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 620 m, Fall off out to 1240 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 1150 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 30 rounds)
Slots: 4
Tonnage: 8
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.38

This is 3 of 4 ballistic weapons who's ammo per ton is efficient and even it's overall fitting to usefulness ratio is close to good. It would be nice to fit this on more of the smaller mechs. If this was reduced to 3 slots and 5 tons it wouldn't need any other changes.

Auto Cannon 10 (IS):

Role: Mid ranged damage, DPS or alpha strike
Damage: 10
Fire Rate: 0.4 rounds per second
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 450 m, Fall off out to 900 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 950 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 15 rounds)
Slots: 7
Tonnage: 12
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.33... (1/3)

At half the ammo per ton of the A/C 5 and still 2/3 the fire rate, the ammo burns too quickly. Ammo per ton needs to be increased to 20 to match the fire rate. Since there are 12 slots in the side torsos and all ecm slots for IS mechs are in a torso along with another hard point besides 1 ballistics, in order to keep the option open to fit an XL engine, ECM, A/C 10, there needs to be at least 1 more slot for that usual other hard point. I recommend fitting slots be reduced to 6, tonnage to 10. Otherwise, the weapon works fine.

Auto Cannon 20 (IS):

Role: Short ranged alpha strike
Damage: 20
Fire Rate: 0.25 rounds per second
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 270 m, Fall off out to 540 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 650 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 7 rounds)
Slots: 10
Tonnage: 14
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.36

Ammo per ton is less than half that of the current A/C 10 with again 2/3 the fire rate and the A/C ammo per ton was less than efficient. The ammo per ton of the A/C 20 needs to be increased to 15 to keep standard set by the A/C 5. As this is unavoidably an alpha strike build, the balance can be taken out of the fire rate, taking it down to 0.20 rounds per second and/or increasing the ammo fitting to 1 ton, 2 slots so crit % vs. this mech yields the same results. This will also better utilize standard structure and standard armor settings. This still presents a challenge to the player as the potential of this weapon can only be unlocked at close range. Keeping a cool head and accurate shots with this rate of fire while maneuvering and shielding in close quarters will show the real skill of the wielder.

Is it purposely balanced so that the A/C 20 can not be fit in a torso carrying an XL engine? If not, the slots need to be reduced to 7, again to fit ECM, XL and this weapon. If it is only meant for standard engine torsos, then fitting slots are fine. As for tonnage, standard engines are very heavy and this weapon is very heavy, thus fitting it even on assault mechs in a torso limits fitting anything else besides enough ammo. If the ammo per ton is corrected, that may be enough to offset this weapon's issues.

LB 10-X A/C (IS):

Role: Short-mid ranged DPS
Damage: 10
Crit%: Unclear
Fire Rate: 0.40 rounds per second
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 540 m, Fall off out to 1620 m)
Spread: Unclear (not meant for long range)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 1100 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 15 rounds)
Slots: 6
Tonnage: 11
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.33... (1/3) If all pellets hit

Much like the A/C 10 with easier fitting, this weapon also requires 20 rounds per ton of ammo. The tonnage would also benefit from a reduction to 10. If quirks are a thing to stay for the long haul, I would recommend there be some for reduced pellet spread, also a weapon module for this would be beneficial. They would also have to be large values to be viable, allowing for more reliable damage further out.

Ultra A/C 5 (IS):

Role: Long ranged DPS, alpha strike, burst damage.
Damage: 5 / 10
Fire Rate: 0.60 / 0.60
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 600 m, Falloff out to 1200 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 1150 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 30)
Slots: 5
Tonnage: 9
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.38 / 0.76

A double barrel shotgun with the option to give 'um both barrels at once, it's like an A/C 10 with easier fitting, faster fire rate, but unreliable jamming. And if the above changes to the A/C 10 ammo per ton were corrected, the UAC5 would not be as comparable as it would burn ammo faster, which is it's design: burn ammo in a pinch for burst damage, hopefully. There are a few quirks for a slightly less jam chance, there needs to be more of these and a weapon module for this. As this is an A/C 5 on steroids, but unreliable, I suggest the fitting still be reduced to match, 4 slots and 6 tons. This would be the ultimate weapon on a smaller mech before sacrificing speed for fitting.

Gauss Rifle (IS):

Role: Long ranged alpha strike
Damage: 15
Fire Rate: 0.18 (This is unclear in UI, reload is 4 seconds, but 1.5 second charge up time = 5.5 seconds between shots at best)
Range: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: Optimal 660 m, Fall off out to 1980 m)
Velocity: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 2000 m/s)
Ammo per ton: Unclear (Thanks to Smurfy: 10 rounds)
Slots: 7
Tonnage: 15
Damage per Ton per Second: 0.18

This is 4 of 4 ballistic weapons who's ammo per ton is efficient. A purposeful balancing flaw is the 1.5 second wind up time and 2 second firing window making it difficult to hit targets that pop out for less than a second to fire off PPC's or A/C rounds. The wielder of this weapon has to be quick at pattern recognition and fire at predicted locations at predicted times to deal with "pop tarts" or "peek-a-boomers." But it is generally best to back up this weapon with an instant fire, instant hitting weapon such as lasers - or maybe modified A/C 2's if corrections above are implemented. But the generally unwieldy size and weight of this weapon makes fitting difficult on anything sub-assualt, and all but 1 IS assault have all their ballistic slots lumped into 1 location, again making this weapon's size impossible to fit more than one on the only type of mech that can handle the weight. This is either poor mech design planning or poor weapon fitting. The extremely slow fire rate coupled with a required charge up time should not also warrant the title heaviest weapon in the game.

The few non-assault mechs in the game capable of mounting 2 gausses usually have to sacrifice a lot of speed and/or armor and/or ammo. I recommend this weapon's weight is reduced to 14 to match that of the A/C 20, which allows for 2 tons of options on dual wielders for armor, ammo or speed. It's not much, but it will make a positive difference.

Personally, I would like to run 2x gauss with 100 rounds, 2x A/C 2 with 2 tons ammo on a heavy mech capable of ~70 kph.

This post has taken over 2 hours to type - will do clan side later.

Edited by destroika, 23 May 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#2 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

So you're running low on ammo lately? Is that it? It'd probably be a problem if you survive long enough in CW with ammo-dependent builds. But that just means you might want Re-arm features. But in most public games, if you are running out of ammo too often, you're either a lousy shot or your build is inefficient. And presuming this is for IS mechs only like you said, it's canon. That's what makes Battletech, Battletech. Check the past games, even Mech Commander. A Lao Hu compared to a MadCat will always show the MadCat is better for tanking overall. Which is why IS mechs have quirks now. And back in those older games, it just was just prevalent that you needed a better build in IS mechs if you weren't doing so well in it as you thought. Specialization makes IS mechs shine where Clan mechs usually overall succeed.

So just to calculate this properly: running an IS heavy mech with 2x Gauss, and 2x AC2s would = 42tons normally. 100 rounds of gauss ammo + AC2 ammo would add 12 more tons totaling = 54 tons normally. And to reach 70km/h speeds you'd need to use around an XL250. And at that point, you may have run out of space for armour due to your heavy amount of weapons and size of engine(even though it's xl). All due to canon. In the older games, this would still be the case just because of that.

...Sorry. :(

...but besides all that canon-reality checking I had to write out(sorry man), I do agree that the UI should be improved. That's a whole other subject though. It looks like it'll be as clean as MW3/MW4s styles too.

And for the Ballistics, just wait for new IS weapons to be added. In the mean time, maybe ask for a 75 ton mech that can fit 2 Gauss Rifles and then some. It might not go as fast like you want, and have the armour, and 2 ac2s and 10 tons of gauss ammo, but there might be one on sarna. And also, I know I may seem to be disagreeing with you on a lot of things. But actually, canon might not be that "perfect" to justify myself as it might seem.

Take the Annihilaor. 100ton IS mech. Usually has a giant ballistic loadout. The ANH-1A is supposed to have 4 AC10s, 2 in each arm. Now, it has no hand actuators. And I don't remember but, I think that that build cannot possibly fit cause there are only 12 slots in each arm normally. If there's no shoulder actuator, or upper arm actuator then... a 4 lbx10 build would work. But no, not even the King Crab can pull that stuff out. I don't know if the canon's been tampered and I still don't understand the logic behind how the build exists. It should have the actuator to lift 2 heavy ACs right? And I've known this franchise a long time.

I'm not sure, but sarna might clear more things up than I probably have. And I'm hazy on the specifics most of the time. Hope I was a little sobering for ya though. :mellow:

#3 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

Well, my point was to be able to fit ballistic weapons better. They just cost way too many resources for their battle performance currently. And anything other than a machine gun is just too big and too heavy to to put on a light mech, and difficult for a medium. Then to top it off, you need yet more slots and tonnage for ammo which brings up the ammo per ton issues on the larger weapons.

Ballistic weapons are just overly inaccessible and cumbersome and need to be toned back a notch or two.

#4 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:21 AM

I tried to make both Clan and IS AC2s balanced but in the end some guy started hating.
http://mwomercs.com/...lancing-debate/

He said all the AC2s needed to become balanced was lowering the heat to half of it's current value.
But it needs more than that i'm afraid. Lower heat is a good start but it cannot cure the AC2.
It also needs
-Less screen shake suffered by the enemy,
-Smaller explosions so the target is not hidden from view at longer ranges.
-Less firing flash aiming becomes easier. The way it is right now it could cause epileptic seizures.
-increasing to 90 shells per ton of ammo would not hurt either but not totally necessary.

But all these things won't cure the AC2s either.

Most of all i think think the cooldown needs to be lowered by a lot. Currently we have 1 shot every 0.72 secs.
Balance could be achieved by lowering it to 1 shot every 0.25 secs. That means it would do 5x2 damage over 1.25 secs.
ER LL does 9 damage over 1.25 secs burn duration then a 3.25 secs cooldown.

This should also make it capable of competing with an ER PPC at long range. It balances out.
ER PPC has pinpoint damage and endless ammo.
In return AC2 has better velocity, colder, if you miss it's not long till you can fire again.
Maybe the cooldown should be 1 shot every 0.30 secs?

But some people just become sarcastic and downright hostile whenever i say something like this.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 24 May 2015 - 05:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users