Clanner Noob, The Adder

17 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

With this sale, i thought maybe i will do some c-bill grinding and pick up 2 more adders. I got the prime during the event and i have yet to drop with it. I was playing around in smurfy, and saw you can mix and match parts from other mechs. Do you have to own the mech to get access to that pod? or do you just buy the part and install it?

Do all clan mechs have fixed slots in the legs? I noticed i could not put any ammo/heat sinks in them.. I thought that might be a clan bonus, stick a heat sink in the feet and stand in water, but i guess not?

I am also having a hard time deciding which one to skip, It seems like they all have their bonus's The A, has the nice legs and turning and the others have missile spread, It also had me thinking about running a pair of machine guns, with missiles, Perhaps like a hugging?

Another build i was messing with was running missiles in the toros, with laser arms. Ahh well, any thoughts from adder pilots on which 2 to get?

One last thing, with the CW event going on this weekend, do CW pugs work better, or should i try to find a group? a c-bill booster would be nice for this holiday weekend. :) Are there any IS factions to join that work better for the solo players? i gotta join something right?

Edited by JC Daxion, 22 May 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

You can buy the omnipods individually for clan mechs.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 May 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Do all clan mechs have fixed slots in the legs? I noticed i could not put any ammo/heat sinks in them.. I thought that might be a clan bonus, stick a heat sink in the feet and stand in water, but i guess not?

Not all Omnimechs have fixed slots in the legs, but it is there to prevent some from doing it (a canonical lore thing not a PGI choice -- shockingly).

Of interesting note: Warhawk and Dire Wolf both have DHS in the feet. Warhawk's are locked. Dire Wolf only has one (locked) and has the free space needed to put one into its other leg.

Kitfox can do this too, but you have to sacrifice the jumpjet legs in favor of legs to use DHS in.

#4 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

You buy the pods freely.

As for which ones to skip, look at it this way: You can literally change ANY pod on the mech, except for the CT. So the choice becomes which CT do you want to skip. You can change the legs, STs, arms, and even the head on any omni mech, so the CT is the main section to worry about.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

Ok, so what you guys are saying, as long as the mech can be bought with c-bills, i can use that pod on any clanner i own, per mech type that is?

The XP unlock is still the same though right, need 3? If so, my question is, how does that XP and unlocks work? Is the XP unlock for the CT? or for pods? It could get awful confusing if it is by part. Like if i own prime, B and D, but i use legs of the A, and have hard brake, or speed unlock on prime, but not the A, will i still get the bonus?

I could swear i read something about some sorta boost or something for having all the pods from the same type, but i don't really recall what i read about it, or what kinda boost if any.

One last thing, doesn't some sorta faction loyalty unlock mech bays? do you have to opt in or just join a house? Was kinda currious how hard it is to earn bays in the CW, i might just have to spend 7 bucks.. :P

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 May 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

Ok, so what you guys are saying, as long as the mech can be bought with c-bills, i can use that pod on any clanner i own, per mech type that is?
Spoiler

Yes.

XP unlock for CT only, so no using A legs on B body will not get you A's XP skill tree bonuses.

If you have a complete "Alpha" Adder (used only as an example), you get both an XP bonus modifier as well as some additional beneficial quirks. The additional beneficial quirks varies per configuration (Clanner Omnimech proper term for "mech variant").

Gotta opt in a faction. Takes several matches to get your first free mechbay. Not a big deal if you're willing to jump into IS/Clan matches (which are the most brutal as it's usually pug IS versus organized and/or pug Clan), otherwise it'll be a time sink to get those matches as you gotta wait for the prime times.

Edited by Koniving, 22 May 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Ok, thanks a bunch man. I guess i'll go drop in testing on the new maps and check um out and they give it a try.. I really just wan't my c-bill booster for the weekend, anything else i get will be gravy :)

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Far as the other questions in your first post, I'm afraid I can't really answer them too well as I've been a bit disconnected from MWO as a game as of late (taking a break, making 3D mechs, girlfriend moving in, things like that).

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 May 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

The XP unlock is still the same though right, need 3? If so, my question is, how does that XP and unlocks work? Is the XP unlock for the CT? or for pods? It could get awful confusing if it is by part. Like if i own prime, B and D, but i use legs of the A, and have hard brake, or speed unlock on prime, but not the A, will i still get the bonus?

I could swear i read something about some sorta boost or something for having all the pods from the same type, but i don't really recall what i read about it, or what kinda boost if any.

One last thing, doesn't some sorta faction loyalty unlock mech bays? do you have to opt in or just join a house? Was kinda currious how hard it is to earn bays in the CW, i might just have to spend 7 bucks.. :P

Consider this: Don't buy extra omnipods for your Prime variant before buying the other Adder variant(s). You can strip an omnipod off one mech and save the invalid loadout and use that pod on another mech (It's no different than swapping engine in an IS mech). So save your cbills that way.

You need 3 variants (which all depends on the CT) to unlock the skill tree. Clan CTs are usually not very different so in essence you will be buying 3 almost identical mechs. Quirks are a little different, but I don't think the Adder has much in the way of quirks still even after the latest tweak so don't fret over them too much.

If you keep all the omnipods matching, there is a small xp bonus per match (2.5% I believe). It's not significant.

There are several ranks for each faction but they are equal in the loyalty points amounts per level. Pick a house and drop. If you take out a longer contract, you will earn more loyalty points. Perhaps a two week contract for a small bonus but still allowing you a lot of flexibility to switch relatively soon? Anyway, level 2 is a free mechbay. You'll probably earn this in under 10 matches with any faction.

#10 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

I'll endorse purchasing 2 other variants first, then mix and match the parts off all 3 to maximise your cbill expenditure.

#11 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:04 PM

I'm an owner of the Prime, A and C Adders (Pumas). As was stated above, the quirks are omnipod dependent, except for the XP bonus (you need all 8 omnipods of the same variant for it to kick in; it's a paltry 2.5% XP bonus, so honestly, don't even bother caring about it).

Also stated above, buy 3 variants, instead of omnipods, first. No point in buying omnipods until you have at least 3 variants seeing as you can swap out everything but the CT. Though there is no point for the Adder to swap out the legs or head as they are all identical across all variants.

Some builds I really liked was 2 ER LPLs in the torsos and 2 ER Small lasers in the arms. Another is 4 SRM4s. Ballistics are crap for this mech, and please don't waste time and Cbills like I did turning it into an LRM boat. It's just too small and nowhere near enough ammo to make it work effectively.

Just remember though that if you like a certain quirk, you don't necessarily have to mount the weapon for the quirk in the same omnipod. You'll get the bonus regardless of where you mount the weapon.

#12 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 May 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

Kitfox can do this too, but you have to sacrifice the jumpjet legs in favor of legs to use DHS in.

well, 2 jump jets (or even 1) from kfx-s side torsos it's usually enough

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 23 May 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 23 May 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Some builds I really liked was 2 ER LPLs in the torsos and 2 ER Small lasers in the arms. Another is 4 SRM4s. Ballistics are crap for this mech, and please don't waste time and Cbills like I did turning it into an LRM boat. It's just too small and nowhere near enough ammo to make it work effectively.

I agree with virtually all of your post, but wouldn't 4 LRM10s with 6 tons of ammo be considered effective for a light mech with LRMs?

Until the Adder and kitfox arrived, light LRM mechs were considered effective if they were running two LRM 5s or three, with 3+ tons of ammo. The Adder is well above that in both salvo size, and ammo capacity.

To be clear: My thrust here is not whether light mechs make for effective LRM boats, or whether LRMs are effective. It's whether or not the Adder is effective compared to other light LRM boats.

Light LRM boats serve in their own unique, bizarre role as very fast moving MLRS
(These guys)
Spoiler

An LRM 40 salvo is on the upper end of what a heavy LRM boat should bring to the table (45 is max for heavies, and assaults pick up from 50+)

#14 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

View PostCaine2112, on 23 May 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Also stated above, buy 3 variants, instead of omnipods, first. No point in buying omnipods until you have at least 3 variants seeing as you can swap out everything but the CT.

imo it's a bad advice
i would buy omnipods for a build which i like asap, anyway when you have 3 versions of adder you still have to buy some omnipods because you cannot swap them between mechs directly but need some intermediate ones, so buy them now and play the build which you want

#15 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 23 May 2015 - 05:35 PM, said:

imo it's a bad advice
i would buy omnipods for a build which i like asap, anyway when you have 3 versions of adder you still have to buy some omnipods because you cannot swap them between mechs directly but need some intermediate ones, so buy them now and play the build which you want

No, you can strip a mech of all it's omni pods, and save it with just the CT dangling there. So no need for intermediate pods.

#16 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

oh, yeah you can, by manually dragging each omnipod, i didn't know since it's a pretty unclear technique, 'strip all' doesn't work there

still i think it's a bad advice because it's better to play a build that you like than a build that you don't like and also if you want to use adders in cw you will need several identical omnipods, their omnipods cost little too

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

View Postdragnier1, on 23 May 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

I'll endorse purchasing 2 other variants first, then mix and match the parts off all 3 to maximise your cbill expenditure.

It could be worth playing them all to master before i start mixing and matching makes sense.

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 May 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#18 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

well ended up getting the B and D, got a free bay from faction points, and another with the MC.. earned enough with my premium bonus to buy both adders! over all a productive weekend, earning my 12 points..

thanks for the tips guys.. Now to just get around to leveling them.. anyone else have an issue playing all the mechs they buy? ;)

Edited by JC Daxion, 25 May 2015 - 08:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users