#21 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:39 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 25 May 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

Yes, I was quite specific about my asking about specific variants alone.

But, I am not gonna argue with you - I've seen you around the forums and you seem like a decent guy from what posts of yours I have read. So I'll chalk it up to my not being clear enough in my OP and you perhaps misunderstanding what I was talking about. No harm done!

Um Tsunie did mention a specific variant of the Hunchies (was also mentioned in an earier post).

View PostTesunie, on 25 May 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

And I feel that the 4J is not the most flexible variant of the Hunchback. That would either go to the Grid Iron (has at least one hard point of each weapon type), as well as the 4SP would be a better, more even, choice between the 4J and the 4SP.

As far as versatility goes, just about any of the Resistance Medium mechs can compete for this position, the main difference would be which mech has which quirks to fit the currently interresting aspect of the build you want to make. It also depends on what you want to use as a main weapon. Want to go for missiles, take the Wolverine or SHD-2d2. Want to take balistics, go for any of the Shadowhawks with the shoulder mounts etc...

Another contender would be the Jägermech A or any of the Orion, Atlas or Victors for the combination of all 3 weapon types EDIT: Ignore this part as I thought you meant of all mechs... not only mediums as you had asked. :unsure:

P. S.

View PostTesunie, on 25 May 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Sorry if I snapped. I hurt my back, so to say I'm not in the best of moods... (When you are in pain, your patients gets short.)

Does this mean you are a doctor for dwarves now? :P

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 26 May 2015 - 01:43 AM.

#22 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

View Postjss78, on 25 May 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

In the hypothetical event that I was stuck with a single mech for the rest of my MWO career ... say stranded in the Deep Periphery ... I think I'd take my SHD-2D. (The 2D2 would do just as well.)

With JJ, three energy hardpoints, three missile hardpoints, and that wonderful shoulder-mounted ballistic, I think it can fill lots of roles passably. Even the quirks are kind of weak and generic and don't really compel any specific cookie-cutter build. (IMO this is the way quirks should always be.)

I think that the SHD-2D2 is another strong contender with the WVR-7K and HBK-4J. That ballistic capability on the 2D2 really adds something that neither the 7K nor 4J can match. Good choice!

View Postlordtzar, on 26 May 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

Hunchback

It brawls, it snipes, it lurms, it vomits.

View PostFlipOver, on 26 May 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

I've got Centurions, ShadowHawks and BlackJacks and somehow I feel teh Hunchback is one of the most versatile mech around.
It might actually be my best medium to buy but I'm still trying to understand if the HBK is good just because of quirks or not.

You guys are almost certainly correct that the HBK is the most versatile chassis of the IS mediums - I have a bunch of Hunch and love them all dearly - but I'm focused more on trying to discuss which specific variant has the most builds that are focused and viable. So while the HBK series beats the WVR series counting all of the variants, when you compare only single variants like I am trying to do in this thread - the WVR-7K versus the HBK-SP, the 7K comes out on top in my mind.

Out of the Hunch variants, I feel the 4J comes closest to the WVR-7K as far as being able to field the most builds (and builds that are actually competitive). Like the 7K can go for SRM + MPL brawler, a 2 LPL + 1 MPL support mech, an indirect LRMS fire-support mech, and so on. Likewise, the 4J can go for LRM spam support, balls to the walls laser boat, wub + SRM brawler, etc.

---

Thanks for all the input guys, let's keep it coming! I would only ask that we try to compare single variants, not compare chassis - so for example WVR-7K versus SHD-2D2, not all WVR compared to all SHD.

Cheers!

#23 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

Ive had the WVR 7K

Gray Death It can do it all and usually packing jjs and a bigger engine.
Shadowhawk 2D2 much the same.

Griffin 2N, ecm is more than a fair trade for ballistics.

Trebuchet 7K 50 ton Swiss army knife.

#24 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

the shadowhawk 2D is pretty versatile hardpoint-wise with 3 missile, 1 ballistic and 3 energy. I find multiple ballistic hardpoints to be mostly a waste of time in a medium, but the energy and missiles is somewhat flexible.

The shadowhawk 2K however can also be quite flexible with excellent hardpoint placement, if your willing to forego a ballistic option.

too bad SHD's have weak quirks but I suppose that helps make them flexible. If they get quirked better, I'd personally prefer higher generalist over strong specific weapon quirks.

Edited by Nullmancer, 27 May 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#25 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

the shadowhawk as a whole is the clear winner in versatility, all weapon types, jump jets and plenty of space combined with a variable engine etc

however it is tall... very very tall

#26 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

View Poststalima, on 29 May 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

the shadowhawk as a whole is the clear winner in versatility, all weapon types, jump jets and plenty of space combined with a variable engine etc

however it is tall... very very tall

I keep meaning to pick some SHD up. What variants would you recommend? Should I just go for the Mastery Pack?

#27 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Personally I like the 2H and the 5M for the multipule ballistic hard-points. (dual uac fives! Of course, that means giving up XL engines.) Many others prefer the 2D2 and the 2D for a more energy and missile centric build. Last the 2K is pretty limited, but the hard points are placed well. I actually got some good use out of it and an SRM brawler, but it's lowest on my list.

Don't have the gray death.

~Leone, Raid leader of the Crimson Hand.

Edited by Leone, 30 May 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#28 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

I bought the Gray Death and like it enough to master, picked up a 2k and a 2D2, both my basic 55t loadout, 1-2x Big freakin laser and lrm tubes = 20-30. Overall for what I use them for they are barely out paced by a few IS 55 tonners I consider optimal in that role.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 30 May 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#29 stalima

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 227 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 30 May 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

I keep meaning to pick some SHD up. What variants would you recommend? Should I just go for the Mastery Pack?

well i dont really use the shadowhawk myself so cant really recommend any particular one (its up to which one you like in the end anyway to be honest), but for the reasons i stated it is simply the most versatile medium mech you can get overall.

#30 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Im not really impressed with the multi ballistic SHD's, and so stuck with the 2D and 2K. I also had the 2D2, but dropped it as it was quite similar to the 2D and I wasn't that keen on the extra missile hardpoint.

The 2D I have in a brawly build, AC 5, 2 med lasers, 3 SRM 4's, 300 XL, max jumpjets

2K I had in 2x LPL and 2x SRM 4 with maybe 325 XL engine, 4 or 5 jumpjets. These days its 3x LPL, I think 300 XL engine and 3 Jumpjets. Carves out side torso's quite nicely I might add.

#31 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:01 AM

any clan mech, as you can change parts as you want ;-)

#32 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

For me, I would say:

IS: Shadow Hawk

Clan: Storm Crow/Ryoken

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users