19 replies to this topic

#1 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, Capital Apocalypse Lancers Compact

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

I think PGI made a mistake starting CW first with the Clan vs IS conflict. It should have started with just the IS and then introduced the Clans in Beta.

Although I've enjoyed the recent CW events (CW Invasion and Battle of Tukayyid) how about stepping away from Clan vs IS and have some IS vs IS events. Have the classic power blocs of the Fourth Succession War - Steiner/Davion vs Liao/Kurita/Marik. Or just two Great Houses in an event, i.e. Kurita vs Davion, and open up multiple planets along their border. Let the event last a week (many have family obligations on the weekends) so more casual player can get involved.

I think many new players and small groups have turned away from CW from frustration with action being primarily Clan vs IS. This might bring some players back to CW and hopefully a good experience will keep them playing. Having more CW events with personal/event rewards is an excellent idea.

#2 stratagos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

Couple this with a Refusal War - force IS vs IS; Clan vs Clan

#3 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

I like that but it might spread the player base too thin if they open up multiple planets on the border.

Could always run a separate event just Clan vs Clan. Could be used to help a blocked in Clan faction fight their way out to the IS border (Ghost Bear now only has that FRR pocket to clean up).

Edited by BoloJoe, 31 May 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#4 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

The Succession Wars are such an iconic part of Battletech lore that I think many players would like some IS vs IS events.

Until capturing a planet actually means something these events are the only way to add goals to CW. Battletech has so much background information for PGI to mine for themes and goals to make CW interesting.

A reason to fight = more player enjoyment!

#5 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:24 AM

A little background:

http://www.sarna.net...n_Wars_(History)

#6 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Stated that 3039 was the perfect year many many times. Lvl 1 tech with emerging lvl2 and found lostech being like gold. But they asked and people said: "wheres muh Madcat?". So they caved and this is what we have.

#7 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

This will probably never happen because people will want to play their Clan mechs.

Like the idea of coupling this with a Trail of Refusal between Clans.

So the event will be IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan.

Setup in Battletech lore based power blocs or have a one House/Clan against another House/Clan.

Edited by BoloJoe, 19 August 2015 - 07:15 AM.

#8 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:19 PM

I think these are all great ideas Bolo. I sent a PM to Tine Not long ago with similar ideas. To your point, it could not be succession wars, but somthing similar like the FedCom Cival War. That way you have IS on IS action, Clan Vs IS action and clan on clan.

#9 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

Better yet 3025 Stock Succession Wars.

#10 Surn

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

I prefer is vs clan because it is a challenge to beat op clan mechs with canon fodder inner sphere mechs

#11 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:46 AM

I like the stock 3025 idea - since restricting weapons/tech is not possible how about the following:

According to the http://www.sarna.net...t:_3025_Revised there are about thirty mechs playable.
Give a 5% Loyalty bonus for every 3025 mech in your dropship - a full compliment of 4 mechs gives a 20% bonus.

PGI - give some incentive to change things up and for players to take different mechs. That is one reason I would like to see IS vs IS events. This is something you can't do versus Clans if you want any chance of winning.

Edited by BoloJoe, 29 September 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#12 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

Honk if you want an IS vs IS event.

#13 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

Played during the Battle of Tukayyid 2 event and had a lot of fun. Most of the games were fairly evenly matched given the high percentage of solo players. Teamwork really made a difference when our 3-6 man group took charge and "pug wrangled" it was usually a victory.

Why does PGI limit this type of event to only Tukayyid and the end of a season?
This event should be held for all important planets - sector capitals and major manufacturing world (i.e. Coventry). This would help breakup the monotony of play and draw people back to CW during the season.

On another note - How about starting the next CW season with only IS vs IS. This will give the new Steam players a little breathing space to get used to CW before introducing the Clans. Getting stomped by a 12-man Clan team will put a lot of new player off of CW from the beginning.

Edited by BoloJoe, 23 December 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#14 Tuebor

• PipPip
  • Subaltern
  • Subaltern
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostBoloJoe, on 31 May 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

I like that but it might spread the player base too thin if they open up multiple planets on the border.

Could always run a separate event just Clan vs Clan. Could be used to help a blocked in Clan faction fight their way out to the IS border (Ghost Bear now only has that FRR pocket to clean up).

open one planet per faction for a succession/refusal war set up. each faction can attack or defend as they see fit. and at the end of the event what ever faction holds the highest percentage of the total of all planets wins.

Edited by Tuebor, 10 December 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#15 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

I like this idea, have the Clans fighting among the homeworlds for their invasion corridors etc, where its only Clan v Clan, then have all of the IS fighting amongst themselves succession wars style so it is purely IS v IS.

#16 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

succession wars mean no FRR :(

#17 Fryepod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 111 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUpstate, New York

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostTuebor, on 10 December 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

open one planet per faction for a succession/refusal war set up. each faction can attack or defend as they see fit. and at the end of the event what ever faction holds the highest percentage of the total of all planets wins.

Thats an excellent idea for an event. Or hell, do a battle of terra for all IS. Do it on the rock for the clans or something too so they arent left out.

#18 Atlasian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

I like the idea of Succession Wars, my fav part of the Battletech. However, that will mean no advance weaponry and component allowed? E.g. ER lasers, Streaks, Artemis etc..

#19 BoloJoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

Since it's not possible to restrict tech or mechs Succession Wars would primarily be promoting IS vs IS action.

It will help to change the Clan vs IS focus of CW (even if only for a limited time) and will give an opportunity to bring a more varied dropdeck (something not possible against Clans is you want any chance of winning).

#20 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

A throwback event that reset the map to the Succession Wars in the Inner Sphere and the Exodus Civil Wars on the Pentagon Worlds would be excellent! IS vs. IS and Clan vs. Clan.

There is a wide range of BattleTech history for inspiring CW based events.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users