- - - - -

New Player, Quick Quesiton.

15 replies to this topic

#1 ph4ntomchaos

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hello everyone, i'm very new to this game but I have played mw3 and mw4 before. I already checked out some of the videos posted here on the forum for new players. And what got me interested in this game is my favorite mech, Black Knight, is going to be in this game. I know I have to use real money to purchase this mech. But once it is purchased, would I be able to keep using it or is there a time limit thing? Lastly, what is Premium Time?

Thanks for checking out my post and helping out.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:07 AM

As someone who owns every single package, I can tell you that they are permanent.

You can of course wait until the Black Knight is released for cbills (it only costs real money to get it early. A few weeks to a month and a half after the preorder players get to have it, the mechs will become available for cbills (the ingame currency (cbills).)

"Premium time" has two functions. One it is required that two players have it for private matches of less than 24 players. (As a way of helping to pay for server usage). The other is to provide a 50% earnings and experience boost.

Since the game doesn't really sell pay-to-win weapons or any of the stuff you often see in free to play games, they try to make their money in ease-the-grind, cosmetics, and preorders (play it before other people can).

Also welcome to MWO.

#3 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Welcome to MWO and to add to what Koniving said, if you really have your heart set on the mech, you may pay real money for it, but it really doesn't gain you anything to do that. Instead if you have the patience to wait for the mech to come out, may I suggest buying some premium time if you really want to spend a little bit of money, and also you might want to think about getting some mech bays. They're pretty inexpensive and you only get 4 to start and selling mechs to free up the bays isn't really that great of an idea.

#4 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

View Postph4ntomchaos, on 31 May 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

...my favorite mech, Black Knight, is going to be in this game. I know I have to use real money to purchase this mech...

You have to use real money to purchase this mech now.
In a few months it will be available for C-Bills, and that's when I'll be more interested in it.

I feel that way about it partly because I already have the Phoenix package, a Resistance package, and a Clan Wave III package on the way.

If you're new and willing to pay real-world money into this game, the Resistance II Black Knight package sounds like as good a purchase as any. For 9 mechs, with their mech bays already included, it's actually pretty cost-effective as MWO purchases go.
EDIT: 12 mechs, if you buy before midnight tonight! Normally, the mech bays alone would cost that much! (Damn, I might actually buy it.)
EDIT #2: Advice withdrawn, now that I see how they've royally ****ed the mechlab.

Premium Time is the only thing in this game that's not permanent. (OK... Premium Time, UAVs, and artillery strikes ;) ) Maybe that's what prompted the question about whether the mechs were permanent? Numerous players already complain about this or that being expensive for a collection of ones and zeros. I can't imagine the uproar if PGI charged real money just to rent a mech. The game would have lasted months, not years.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 02 June 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

preordered black knight will be delivered 8th september! they sell pre-orders quite early
you will probably want to buy a few other mechs meanwhile

#6 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Acclimate to MWO's play style first before you commit.

IIRC, Lasers having a burn duration are a new thing compared to past games.

#7 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the pack, is that in the pack you get one special ® version of the basic variant, that comes with a slight C-Bill bonus for matches that you play with it, and some custom geometry and a custom paintjob. The special version is not going to be available for in-game currency, likely at any point, ever. If you are a fan of the mech, getting the special variant might be something you want to get.

And, if you don't like the special variant, and would prefer to just play the regular ones, you can just wait until they're released and not spend money on something that you don't particularily like.

The regular geometry on left, special ® one on the right:

Posted Image

#8 ph4ntomchaos

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Wow, thank you guys, definitely very helpful. I will hold off for now, and try out the game. I'm pretty sure I will like it but I didnt know you can buy mechs with C-bills. Thanks alot everyone.

Another quick question....anyone know if Madcat mk.2 going to make a comeback to this game? I love that mech!

#9 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Postph4ntomchaos, on 31 May 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

...anyone know if Madcat mk.2 going to make a comeback to this game? I love that mech!

MW:O is supposedly in the year 3050 right now, and I think the Madcat Mk.2 will have to wait several years of game time before PGI thinks about it.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

> Madcat mk.2

mad cat it's 3066, we are somewhere in 3050-3052 now

you can buy an ordinary mad cat though... you just missed a big clantech sale so it is quite costly, 15 mln c-bills per version and you need 3 versions to elite and master them

#11 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostKyynele, on 31 May 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the pack, is that in the pack you get one special ® version of the basic variant, that comes with a slight C-Bill bonus for matches that you play with it, and some custom geometry and a custom paintjob. The special version is not going to be available for in-game currency, likely at any point, ever. If you are a fan of the mech, getting the special variant might be something you want to get.

And, if you don't like the special variant, and would prefer to just play the regular ones, you can just wait until they're released and not spend money on something that you don't particularily like.

The regular geometry on left, special ® one on the right:

Posted Image

why does the special version come pre-damaged? lol.... those look like bullet holes? and the cbill version looks like it just rolled off the production line

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 31 May 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

> Madcat mk.2

mad cat it's 3066, we are somewhere in 3050-3052 now

you can buy an ordinary mad cat though... you just missed a big clantech sale so it is quite costly, 15 mln c-bills per version and you need 3 versions to elite and master them

wait the sales work with cbills too?!?! :|

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:53 AM

the Black Knight will be available for Cbills January 19th after package buyers get it on September 1st, that is 4 and a half months between preorder and cbill release, compared to 2 months for the Wolfhound, for some reason they decided to release the Wolfhound last for pre-orderers but first for cbills

View PostMazzyplz, on 01 June 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

why does the special version come pre-damaged? lol.... those look like bullet holes? and the cbill version looks like it just rolled off the production line

the idea behind the looks of the IS special variants as explained way back with the Founders Mechs was that the Mech had been in your family for centuries (quite a common idea in Battletech canon), and seen a lot of action over that time, hence looking old and warn instead of fresh off the production line

not always but probably about half of them

#13 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

If you like it, buy it for real money, not only are you supporting the game, but you get to play with it before anyone else. Also the ® version gives you 30% bonus to c-bills in the game, helps get those valuable c-bills to buy other mechs, modules and upgrades. When I grind for bills, I only use special variants that provide the bonus, add premium time and that is a whopping 80% c-bill bonus. cha-ching $$$

If you are a new player try to join a unit and do some one-on-one sessions to get used to the game, will definitely help.

Most of all, have fun, and welcome.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 01 June 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

Good question. And yes they do. What I really liked about Operation Inception (Founder's Program) was the mechs reflected the lore:
Spoiler

By looking their "age," particularly since their attrition rate is between 20 to 50 mechs per year before the Clan invasion, meaning there'd only be as many freshly built mechs across the entire inner sphere, which only the wealthiest of the wealthy could afford. Those would be on the inner most planets near the capital worlds. On the front lines? Older, more expendable machines.

I kinda like the pre-damaged effect, but honestly I'd prefer what the original Founder mechs had. Visual wear and tear (rust/filth from vents, scratches in paint near actuators, etc) while appearing to be fully repaired. I really don't like the fresh off the assembly line look the Centurion got with its remodel, which removed all these awesome little attentions to detail.

-------

Yes. If the sale includes prices, then yes the sale will work on them.

#15 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 01 June 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

I really don't like the fresh off the assembly line look the Centurion got with its remodel, which removed all these awesome little attentions to detail.

And, they may not have screwed up all the camo patterns with that remodel, but they screwed up the one I was using.
I paid MC for that Tiger pattern because it looked nice. Now, it looks like crap.

Most mechs' Tiger pattern looked like this:
Posted Image

On the Centurion, it now looks like this:
Posted Image

It's like the difference between an artist with some skill, and a pre-school child coloring with a crayon.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 02 June 2015 - 05:29 PM, said:

And, they may not have screwed up all the camo patterns with that remodel, but they screwed up the one I was using.
I paid MC for that Tiger pattern because it looked nice. Now, it looks like crap.

It's like the difference between an artist with some skill, and a pre-school child coloring with a crayon.

Definitely agree that's screwed. Have you voiced the opinion to support?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users