- - - - -

Title: New Mech For A Light Pilot

7 replies to this topic

#1 Zirack

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

I have a lot of C-Bills and want to buy a new Mech.

I am mainly a Light Mech pilot, with my favourite playstyle being the Firestarter with its high mobility and firepower. I would like to purchase a larger Mech this time around, and I think I've narrowed down my list of favourites to the following: (in order of preference)

1) Timber Wolf
2) Hellbringer
3) Jagermech
4) Catapult
5) Mad Dog

Any opinions on which of these would be most fun for a Firestarter pilot? I like always being where the action is and doing lots of damage. I also like surviving till the end of a match (which the Firestarter does very well with its amazing damage spread).

If there are Mechs you think a Firestarter pilot would love that aren't on the list, please say so.

Thanks!

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

I actually hafta suggest the stormcrow. Not my favourite, and I'll admit the Timberwolf you have at top tier is tankier and can carry more firepower. But the stormcrow is faster. 6/9 instead of 5/8. Both are supposed to have decent hitboxes.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

#3 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

I would +1 stormcrows actually. I am a light pilot and they were an easy transition for me. The Hellbringer isn't bad though either. I don't have any experience with timbers so not much help from me there. But also check out some of the mediums they will play closer to a firestarter.

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostZirack, on 02 June 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

. I also like surviving till the end of a match (which the Firestarter does very well with its amazing damage spread).

It's more like the borked hit boxes... But with that said, the stormcrow also has the borked hit boxes, so a firestarter pilot would fit right in.. One day they might get fixed, but till then enjoy it i suppose. They both remind me of the centurion before they fixed them. Cents still tank well, but not the over powered zombies they once where..

as for your list,, they all have a huge range of play styles,,. so you really should figure out what you wan't to do. Catapult and mad dog are missiles,. Jags are ballistics, Hell bringers lean on energy, and timbers are kinda a mixed bag.

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 June 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#5 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

I'll point you towards the Shadowhawk. You can stuff a huge XL in 'em to get up to some very nice speeds for a medium (one of mine runs XL350 and does 113kph); they all have jets, which you're already familiar with, they spread damage very well for their size, and they support a variety of different loadouts so you can experiment a bit to find your niche. They're not as popular as they were before quirks dropped, but they're still one of the best rounded and most versatile 'Mechs available.

The Wolverine, which seems to be the current community-favorite IS medium chassis, is also a very solid choice, also versatile with good hitboxes and lots of hardpoints with options for missile, energy, or ballistic-focused builds. It has a great twist range

In any case, I'd strongly recommend a medium in the 55 ton range if you're a light pilot looking to try out a heavier chassis. They have the armor to stand and fight when they need to, and can give you a taste of what it's like to drive a heavy 'Mech, but they can also be built as fast strikers if you decide that slow just isn't your thing. There also isn't really a bad 55-tonner in the game right now. The Kintaro is probably the weakest of the lot, and it's still a pretty good 'Mech with good hitboxes and a solid offensive punch. All of the 55 tonners can operate in practically any role you need them to.

Edited by PS WrathOfDeadguy, 03 June 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#6 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

Another +1 on getting Stormcrows.

Your list is good. Buy Stormcrows first, then start working your way down the list in your OP.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

as others have said, any 50/55 ton Medium would be a good stepping stone to the heavier chassis.

If you want mobility and firepower a Hunchback can carry impressive firepower and has one of the best torso twist ranges in the game, with max engine you will do 89kph or 98 after speed tweak, Hunchbacks are each heavily quirked for a single weapon system, generally offering a great improvement for the relevant weapon, unfortunately no jump jets limits mobility and the fact that people will aim for your hunch means XL engines are not usualy a good idea.

Griffins can go 106/116 KPH with max engine, have about as good twist range as the Hunchies, can relatively safely use an XL engine and can jump. unfortunately there is no variant capable of mounting ballistic weapons, but it can be devistating with a mix of Lasers and SRMs.

the other advice you have received is good but I would advise against taking the Stormcrow as after Firestarter and Stormcrow you may become overly reliant on the great hitboxes of those Mechs instead of learning to twist to absorb damage, causing you problems when trying some of the other great Mechs which do not all have such amazing hitboxes

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 03 June 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

I'm usually a light driver as well, and while the Shadowhawk and Stormcrow are both really good, I personally really am enjoying the Nova. 6 spl and 4 mgs tear stuff up. In a single drop I have taken down a Direwolf, Timberwolf and Stalker in this mech and kept going to finish the drop. It's not as fast as your FS by any stretch, so you need to stay near the fat boys and wait for them to get into brawling range. But by then the enemy has taken some damage so they're pretty much ripe for the Nova.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users