#21 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostHaike, on 04 June 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

...If you do buy Thunderbolt, there's a chance of nerfs to it so you should be mentally prepared.

Always good advice.

I think you would be pretty safe though. The Thunderbolt already saw 1 debuff pass a while ago and it has been left a lone for a while. I think the quirks are going to stay put.

However, if the quirks do get debuffed again, the machine is still solid. It would still be a good choice.

#22 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

Quirks on any variant can change at any time. It could go the other way. The Grasshopper could get some tasty energy range quirks making it better (hint hint PGI).

I don't mind some mechs just being not quite as good as others. I do mind PGI handicapping the poor thing right from the start by allowing themselves to release a 70 ton mech that is obviously an oversized freak because they are reusing assets from elsewhere.

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

View Postwarner2, on 04 June 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

I don't mind some mechs just being not quite as good as others. I do mind PGI handicapping the poor thing right from the start by allowing themselves to release a 70 ton mech that is obviously an oversized freak because they are reusing assets from elsewhere.

For clan mechs, yea PGI reused a lot of assets (although in fairness that's lore too). As for the Grasshopper, it didn't re use anything the best I can tell (well no major limbs). It's size seems to be purely a design choice right from scratch. It's an odd choice that does hurt the chassis. Maybe it was a counter to the amount of hard points and chassis weight, but it was overdone if that was their reasoning...by a lot.

#24 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:46 AM

I liked the Thunderbolt before it was cool, er, quirked.

Definitely go with the TDR. It's the better Mech. Video here of a TDR versus a Grasshopper:

#25 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

TDR.

More diverse loadouts imo. Very robust mech once you learn how to twist with it.

#26 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

Grasshopper should be twice as agile as it is. Right now the hopper feels like a banshee with better speed tweak. The turning radius feels about as bad.

#27 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

T-bolt. They are waaaay better mechs than the Grasshopper atm.

Grasshopper still needs work. PGI needs to revisit this mech and seriously reconsider changing the mech's size archetype from Huge to Large. It does not feel like a light & medium hunter (the mech's purpose) as it feels like a sluggish Assault (and I mean sluggish even for an Assault) with dismal jumping/agility. Grasshopper was poorly represented in its port over into MWO.

Edited by Novawrecker, 05 June 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#28 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostHaike, on 04 June 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

Thunderbolt are too strong right now. Especially the 5SS. If you do buy Thunderbolt, there's a chance of nerfs to it so you should be mentally prepared.

Grasshopper has no such issues :D

Precisely. What is the most likely target for a nerf on the Inner Sphere side in the near future? It's obviously the Thunderbolt. If you're buying a mech based on the fact that it's king in the current meta, you're taking a big risk. Pick a mech that you like the look of, that appeals to you based on its role on the battlefield and what you can do with it.

That being said... I'd be a bit hesitant to buy the Grasshopper, simply because all Grasshoppers are basically the same. You'll be forced to buy three variants and the quirks don't really force you to play them different ways, or even encourage you all that much. At least you can do some different things with the Thunderbolt.

#29 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

If you want maximum lazors and high speeds go for Grasshopper.
If you want build diversity at the expense of speed go for Thuds. (Yes, I run lrm15, srms, mgs, small lasers, and 2 large lasers on my Thundy 5S, wanna fight about it?)

#30 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 June 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

If you want maximum lazors and high speeds go for Grasshopper.
If you want build diversity at the expense of speed go for Thuds. (Yes, I run lrm15, srms, mgs, small lasers, and 2 large lasers on my Thundy 5S, wanna fight about it?)

People who actually run Thunderbolts with MGs are the best people in the world. St. Peter is going to bro fist you as you prance through the pearly gates.

#31 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 05 June 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

People who actually run Thunderbolts with MGs are the best people in the world. St. Peter is going to bro fist you as you prance through the pearly gates.

The only gates I prance through are the ones to my salvage bay, such that I can lavish in the tears (or scrap, rather) of my enemies as they had fallen before my anti-meta! Muhuhuahahahaha!

#32 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

If it's going to be your only heavy 'Mech, buy a Thunderbolt. If you plan on picking up a Black Knight, buy a Thunderbolt. If you already own or plan to buy a ballistic heavy, consider the Grasshopper.

If you see yourself still playing this game in a year, don't base your decisions on the current meta. A year ago we'd be telling you the best the Thunderbolt could offer was 1/4th of a bad Cataphract impression.

#33 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostBurktross, on 05 June 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

(Yes, I run lrm15, srms, mgs, small lasers, and 2 large lasers on my Thundy 5S, wanna fight about it?)

Why? I hate easy wins :P

#34 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

TB>GH

That height and the giant-laser-ac-gauss magnet CT head... just came out and feels like it needs a second pass...

Posted Image

#35 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

Is this still relevant as of 19-Feb 2016?

I'm thinking of buying some Grasshoppers, but i already own Tbolts and if they are heavier and not as good, what's the point.

#36 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

Id say Thuds have gone downhill a bit since then and Asshoppers have gone up. It depends what you want to do really. Hoppers run XLs well, so are faster and tend to carry a heavier payload plus can jump. Thunderbolts are NOT good XL mechs generally which limits payload, but are tougher to kill.

For my playstyle, i prefer the Grasshopper, the 5P especially.

OTOH, Warhammers are amazing and better than both, but they arent out for See Billz yet.

#37 Jaster Me Reel

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

I prefer the Grasshopper over the Thunderbolt. The biggest issue you have to remember with the Grasshopper is that it has the XL engine. If you slap a decent engine in it, the Grasshopper has the ability to torso twist extremely fast. So I would alpha strike, then jump backwards while torso twisting to mitigate the damage across the mech instead of it being focused directly to your torso (which is why people die quickly in them because of the XL). If you really get the torso twisting down, the Grasshopper can be devastating.

#38 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:39 AM

THUNDERBOLT ALL THE WAY

#39 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

I'm sure people have stated it a few times already - Thunderbolt.

It's simply superior to the Grasshopper.

#40 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,557 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:22 AM

Depends, do you want a slightly less awesome BK with JJs?
Or do you want a mech that tanks but with not as much firepower to keep up with the meta?

For me I prefer the Hopper over the Thud because the only two variants that mattered have been overshadowed, then again I'm a "meta tryhard" so take my suggestion with the appropriate grain of salt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users