What Is Up With The Quirks On The Reinforcement Mechs?

13 replies to this topic

#1 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:47 AM

If you look at all the IS mechs in the gift store on sale for $$, they have superior quirks against their cbill variants (the current BLR-2C is the perfect example - boasting better armour, turn radius, structure that the other variants).

I realise this is not a new discovery - however PGI showed the community that it did not want to operate a P2W model with the balancing of the TBR-A whilst it was still MC only. As such, shouldn't all MC only variants be given this treatment?

To those who may say it is not P2W as they will be released for cbills at some point later; correct, however I would place money on their (or the inferior variants') quirks being adjusted prior to this. If they weren't what use would anyone have fielding one of the inferior variants in the future? So the P2W model is there, even if it is only temporary (despite people purchasing the reinforcement mechs on the assumption that the superior quirks will remain).

[Tried not to sound too cynical!]

#2 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

Buying mechs should be fun.

But, whose definition of fun?

One might think/wish that new mechs are fun for the challenge they present to the pilot. If it was more of that instead of...

#3 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

I'm going to make a wild assumption here.

PGI is only semi-competent when it comes to balancing 'Mech Quirks, and it takes a varying amount of time to decide on what should be changed, and by how much.

Also, in order to make more money, PGI errs on the side of generous when it comes to initial Quirks.

#4 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:14 AM

Don't worry once enough tears encompass the floor those quirks will be nerfed. and all will be well again D:

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

I'll just give PGI the benefit of the doubt and say they're experimenting with armour and structure buffs in place of crazy weapon buffs. It goes without saying that you need some serious armour and structure buffs to compensate for inferior firepower in the current stage of the game.

If you look at the weapon quirks for the CTF-0XP or HGN-732B, they're so modest that you'd hardly notice if they weren't there.

#6 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:53 AM

I actually don't care what the quirks on any of the Mechs in the Gift Store are. If I see 'em in the field, I'll kill 'em just as easily as I will any other Mechs. I looked at the quirks and, to be frank, didn't think that the difference between the Gift Store Quirks and the mainstream quirks was enough to lose any sleep over.

It doesn't matter what the size of the quirks in the Mech in the fight is, what matters is the size of the fight in the pilot of the Mech. Good pilot + Bad Mech + Inferior Quirks will still beat a Bad Pilot + Good Mech + Better Quirks.

#7 storm0545

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 04 June 2015 - 02:50 AM, said:

you do know that PGI takes after Wargaming's business model right?

Wargaming is very well known for making new tank lines slightly OP so all the tryhards will buy up the gold to free xp right to them.. then nerf them 2 patches later so they will do it again. it works.. very, very well.. what do you think PGI is doing?

god isnt this the truth But then again they still haven't nerfed the two energy boating tbolts that have god tier quirks.

#8 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

Human nature is a predictable thing. Every game company out there does it.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

You seem to have missed the weapon quirks. The 2C has vastly inferior weapon quirks compared to all other BLRs. This is a trend they have been doing, gift store variants are coming with quirksets that are weighted a little differently than previous variants. I like it, its a different flavor.

#10 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 04 June 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Human nature is a predictable thing. other stuff

Yes, the poor Lamb's continue to go to their slaughter in droves only to return to the forum to complain about how the "other guys" obviously paid RL cash for all that better stuff and that is why the Lambs continue to get slaughtered over and over. ;)

Very predictable indeed. :)

#11 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

My thoughts are pretty simple: swap all(or the least effected due to just being good mechs without quirks) to mobility and defensive quirks, set all weapons to base tt stats, adjust cooldowns/velocity appropriately to make weapons work without quirks. Better ttk, weapons that work uniformly (minus hard point locations)... that's the ideal anyway in my head.

#12 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:20 PM

I bought the Griffin 2N for the ecm on a mech that can do big lasers and lrms to affect. I do pretty good with it but not enough more to say its pay to win.
I own a few Hero mechs to, but the point of these has always been pay to win, use Mc get a mech with better everything than a cbill variant. Misery is the perfect example, I call mine P2W Easymode.

Not sure why OP thinks its a secret.

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

They made a tank mech like the Ecm phat. Russ is trying to stop the ttk increases by the.sounds of his tweeter. I am happy about this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users