23 replies to this topic

#1 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

Ok I got the $40 urban mech pack all though I cant really enjoy them there not my type of game play I figured with all the extras that came with it like 60 day prime,3 war horns , 3 trash cans , 4 mech bays and 4 variants that can be gutted for parts that I really only spent an extra $5 over so I didnt lose that much .

I just cant play them there to slow ,cant brawl ,not enough ammo, and easy to kill I just cant get into it.

Posted Image

#2 JayKay17

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDresden

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:07 AM

have you tried this variant ? It's got quite a punch.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5d7acb3017f94d1

Edited by JayKay17, 05 June 2015 - 05:07 AM.

#3 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:14 AM

That is because they play like tiny mediums , they need a max xl engine and an energy loadout.
Dual LL , medium pulse and if it has to be ballistic than nothing bigger than a uac5.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:00 AM

Large pulse+ mediums, machine guns. Big XL engine, or drop the machine guns and go standard and sword and board.

They really can't be effective in MWO with the small engine and lack tonnage to roll with ac10's

And as Nik said, play them like mediums, not lights. Don't brawl, stay mobile, but don't trust in speed to save you. Use that 360 degree twist, its a larger advantage than you might think.

#5 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

If your not having fun with the Urbi, well, thats because your doing it wrong. Now its true that the Urbi was ment to be a slow cheep heavy ballistic toting mech, but the Urbi really shines as an energy focus build. As some have said, LPL + MLs are very effective weapons for the Urbi as it will allow you to put the largest engine in the Urbs. Also, pilot them like a Medium, not a Light, and never underestimate that 360 torso twist, it takes practice and getting use to but when you do it pays off big time.
The Urbi is my favorite Light to run around in.

#6 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:43 AM

Been having a blast with mine. I've found that the XL 170 is the sweet spot for the engine size. You get a little extra tonnage for weapons compared to the max(180) and only sacrifice 5KPH. You can't play it like other lights, it has a lot more in common with mechs like the Adder, Kitfox, Panther, Raven 2X etc.

Here are the builds I've enjoyed the most with each variant.

UM-R60L

UM-R60

UM-R63

#7 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

Urbies I tried that worked, all max engine.
R60
2LL + 4MG
2LPL
R60L
LPL + 3SPL
2LL + 2SL + 2MG
3LL
R63
2LL + SL + 3MG
2LL + MPL

Dual LL builds are great, the triple LL is only doable on the R60L due to Heat Gen quirk plus you get some extra Range. Dual LL plays like a Raven, no ECM, 360 turret, if you like that Raven playstyle, then this will work. Never go into Brawling range, stay midfield or longer from enemies and always keep moving looking for new sniping locations.

Edited by Wildstreak, 05 June 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

There is a reason nobody really plays the 30- ton light mechs. It is called 35 ton light mechs. The Urbie has the added bonus of being dead slow all the time. It was never meant to be a solid, mech. It was fan service and cuteness. No, I am not being sarcastic.

#9 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

I Just Cant Get Into My Urban Mech's

View Postdr lao, on 05 June 2015 - 05:00 AM, said:

Have you considered going on a diet? You could afford to lose a couple of pounds.

:P

#10 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

Agreed with Voivode - XL 170. Leveled all of mine doing the 2 Large Pulse Laser loadout and that engine. It's a lot easier to spread damage with the 360 torso twist, and keep a target lock on enemies/shoot at enemies as you retreat. Besides, your entire body is only a little bigger than the Jenner's Center Torso (CT). At least, it seems like it is. :D

I think you would be surprised what you can do with the right loadout. Granted it is not a "CARRY HARDER" mech if you are in Elo hell, but sometimes it can do quite well. Cudos to phayzon for the win we pulled off.

Posted Image

#11 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostVoivode, on 05 June 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

Been having a blast with mine. I've found that the XL 170 is the sweet spot for the engine size. You get a little extra tonnage for weapons compared to the max(180) and only sacrifice 5KPH. You can't play it like other lights, it has a lot more in common with mechs like the Adder, Kitfox, Panther, Raven 2X etc.

Here are the builds I've enjoyed the most with each variant.

UM-R60L

UM-R60

UM-R63

Thanks all I like some of the builds Il try them out Im looking at the UM-R63 thats my still of play

Edited by dr lao, 05 June 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#12 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 05 June 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

Agreed with Voivode - XL 170. Leveled all of mine doing the 2 Large Pulse Laser loadout and that engine. It's a lot easier to spread damage with the 360 torso twist, and keep a target lock on enemies/shoot at enemies as you retreat. Besides, your entire body is only a little bigger than the Jenner's Center Torso (CT). At least, it seems like it is. :D

I think you would be surprised what you can do with the right loadout. Granted it is not a "CARRY HARDER" mech if you are in Elo hell, but sometimes it can do quite well. Cudos to phayzon for the win we pulled off.

Posted Image

thats some impressive damage with the LR pulse L. for the urbi Let me work on it guys you have all gave me inspiration I should make some C-Bills with my hero this event to rebuild with thanks again.

One thing Id like to say is I love the new FOV slider bar in setting makes the game feel much better with a full cockpit view .

Edited by dr lao, 05 June 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostModo44, on 05 June 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

There is a reason nobody really plays the 30- ton light mechs. It is called 35 ton light mechs. The Urbie has the added bonus of being dead slow all the time. It was never meant to be a solid, mech. It was fan service and cuteness. No, I am not being sarcastic.

the Spider is my most played Mech, the lighter Light Mechs are fun and can be effective, not least because many people like you tend to underestimate them. I know plenty of people who have hundreds of games in the Locust or Commando.

the 35 ton Lights are definitely more popular compared to the others but the lighter Light Mechs can still be very effective and people definitely do use them.

While the Urby was originally more of a joke Mech many people have been surprised to find the MWO Urby is quite competitive if you play it with the correct mindset. the problem for most dedicated Light pilots is that it plays like a medium more than a light (much like the Kit Fox and Adder) so if you use it like you would a Firestarter, Jenner or Raven you will get into trouble.

#14 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 05 June 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

the Spider is my most played Mech, the lighter Light Mechs are fun and can be effective, not least because many people like you tend to underestimate them. I know plenty of people who have hundreds of games in the Locust or Commando.

I know them, too. I like to laugh as I one-shot their silly contraptions. Now, a Firestarter on my ass -- that is a threat.

#15 dr lao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostSonny Black, on 05 June 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

I Just Cant Get Into My Urban Mech's

Have you considered going on a diet? You could afford to lose a couple of pounds.

:P

LOL you reminded me of a time when I tryed to get in to a WW!! japan tank drivers set I got one leg in and that was it I couldnt bend turn and i was to tall to close the hatch at 6 foot thought I was gana get stuck scar my self .

Posted Image

#16 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

i've actually had success with nothing more than a 125 engine and top speed of 71 post tweak. i have ballistics (uac5,ac5 and rotating between ac10 and lbx10 on the third- having trouble with that one)

60L- 4SPL and ac5 w/ 2 tons
60- LPL,ML,4MG (Bizzaro urbie)
63- one with a simple ac5,2ML and the other currently with lbx10 and 3SL (had been ac10 and ML for a while)

like others have said, play them like a medium as in find an assault hug him, squeeze him and name him george and try to stay with him as best you can shoot only what someone else is shooting because if they notice you and there's nothing to distract them that's generally a bad thing.

having said all that the non ac one(U60) has been the best performer- have gotten a couple 3 kill matches and broken 500 dmg several times with it. but i have positive kdrs on the 60 and 60L while the 63 is at .82 atm (mostly because i died lots and lots with the ac10/ML version that i finally gave up on it). yeah i have a lot of sub 200 dmg matches as well, usually because i let myself push too far (or thinking that the 4 heavies/assaults on the ridge next to me are going to come along and kill that lone awesome before it can get back to it's lines).

the 360 twist can;t be underestimated- when i pilot something else i find i get annoyed when i'm twisting and it stops at a certain point. urbie's the only thing that can really let you run and gun at all angles. generally though you want to be a finisher in them, they're not going to beat much 1v1 if both are healthy, but run across something already damaged and you can give them a bad day. and once you finish off that one of anything bigger than you you've officially pulled your weight in the match in my eyes :)

they also annoy other lights when they try to circle strafe and you just keep twisting right along with them and pepper them with shots they can;t avoid by getting to your blind spot.

haven;t tried one with the big engines other people have talked about because it doesn;t seem urbie-ish pushing 90-100 to me so i stick with moderate, can keep up with assaults, engine sizes.

#17 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Here's the build I use all the time. Usually average 500 damage per match. It's so much fun I don't take any of my other Urbies out. Obviously, it fits my playstyle, but imo, it's the best Urbie setup I've had, and I've tried most all of them by now.

UM-R60L

3x LL - Max Engine - No JJs

Fire the lasers in rapid succession to avoid a small heatspike. Heat is totally manageable.
All weapons on left side make for a great poker.

#18 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 05 June 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

What loadout were you using?

2 LPL with XL170? and did that well? Nice

#19 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I also like the UM-R63 w/ a LPL and 2 Medium lasers, Runs a little cooler and is easier for those who dont dig PPC's.

Some proof in the pudding....

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by DarthRevis, 05 June 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#20 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

Urbie pron? Count me in:

1 LPL + 3 ML's

Posted Image

Edited by Khereg, 08 June 2015 - 04:28 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users