Old School Players

73 replies to this topic

#1 Loremaster Bully

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Looking for those pilots from the MW3 era.. Just want to see who is still around waiting for the game to get us in the mechlab.

#2 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

When I think of Old School players, MW3 isn't the game that immediately comes to mind... but I suppose that MW3 was still a fair distance away from today, so I won't push that.

I've been around since the table-tops, right before the games started to take root. Played almost every BattleTech-related game released, minus one or two. Even the MechAssaults. Gave MW3 and MW4 one **** of a run for their money, although I must admit modems didn't do too many favors for either of the games.

Nor did phone calls...

I'll be around. Have been for as long as I can remember, and I don't have a reason to walk away quite yet. That said, Hawken and Armored Core 5 are right there... they've got their work cut out for them if they want to compete.

#3 ApheX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

I'd say MW3 was more "mid school" imo, but yeah I played it alot when the game worked online (which it didn't, most of the time).

It was a fun game to waste time on and the expansion was a great addition, plus you got to pilot the Masakari and the Atlas. I still play it every so often on my laptop when i'm feeling a little retro.

#4 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

Yeah Mw3 is not oldschool imo, but that depends on the age of course when you began to play BattleTech / MW

for me, Mechwarrior as computer game came alive with MW2 and MW2: Mercenaries.
MW3 was also a great game though

#5 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

View PostKain, on 01 November 2011 - 02:22 AM, said:

Yeah Mw3 is not oldschool imo, but that depends on the age of course when you began to play BattleTech / MW

for me, Mechwarrior as computer game came alive with MW2 and MW2: Mercenaries.
MW3 was also a great game though

Same here. I have been raised with MW2 and MW2: Mercs basically. If it was not about my father I wouldn´t be a nerd today... :)

#6 Ratu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 214 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

I started playing MW2 when I was 6, I've been a BattleTech junkie for life :)

#7 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

I've been in the hobby since 1987 when I first started playing the board game, is that old school enough? I've played everything from MW2 forward at this point.

#8 Elan

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

I originally got into the universe with MW2. Went from there to the tabletop game and MechCommander.

#9 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

View Postratu, on 01 November 2011 - 03:09 AM, said:

I started playing MW2 when I was 6, I've been a BattleTech junkie for life :D

sounds like you and I have the same origin story. haha :)

#10 stnden

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

I started playing B-tech in 1989 on the board game, way back before the clans or BV had even been thought of. I am currently a staff member on Mekwars Legends so I still play Classic B-tech at least 2-3 times a week.

#11 mechsae

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

I was made aware of Battletech by Cresent Hawk's inception at a young age. Didn't really get into things till I was 10 and discovered MechWarrior 2 and the Cartoon (with toys). From there it was a slow decent from MW2 to MW3, Battletech table top, MW4, MechClix, MechAssualt, and MegaMek/more table top.

#12 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

This is the Old School Players, Pulls out his dice, Plastic covered Mech Sheets, Dry Erase Marks, a Star of Griffins, a Large Mascot Griffin, So what map do we want.

Image of the Griffins 1440x1080
http://home.grandeco...es/Griffins.jpg

#13 Loremaster Bully

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I was referring to the MW3 online games of old..yes i am a true old school RPG and C64 B-tech player. Just lookin for old friends and rivals from the days of 4v4, lag shooting and streak slinging.

#14 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

I started out on MW2's Battlepack edition netmech enhanced. Played on their nightly for maybe two years until it started to die out and Activision was shutting down servers, then i migrated to mercnet which lived for perhaps another year. I had various callsigns and was in various units. One being a Clan Hyena. I believe i was also a member of Ghost Bear and a Smoke Jaguar. ohh days gone by.

#15 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

View Postpaladin1, on 01 November 2011 - 05:06 AM, said:

I've been in the hobby since 1987 when I first started playing the board game, is that old school enough? I've played everything from MW2 forward at this point.

Here Here. I with you bro in the Old School. Didn't play electronic til early 90's with MW1 on a 486sx IBM compatible

#16 Yeach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

Aw the good il mw3 days.
Loggin on the MSN Gaming Zone
Had to do it at night because of the 56k modem phone connection.
Lag shooting
C1 lasers only
Flamers or ersmall scats

Ah Good times

Edit; I think the origin of this thread was that MW3 was the first organized multiplayer mw game ie through the zone or lobby.
(am aware that mw2 had multiplayer but not as organized)

Edited by Yeach, 01 November 2011 - 11:51 AM.

#17 erokk

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:48 AM

Yeah MW3 was my first "Online" game and what a riot it was. I linked up with a group of great guys playing in the Starlance League and was on every night. I remember bidding games against foes in the lobby, building mechs to suit my Rank Weight as well as the mod that was bid and reporting games to the server every night for stats. Laser Scats, Missle boat Diashi's, a sunder with a pair of UAC-20's or the good old Madcat D variant in the stock class. I long for those days again, good times!

MW2, MW2:Mercs and the Mech Commander titles were fun as hell, but MW3 online was the best for me.

#18 Trooper Thorn

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationEvansville, Indiana

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have been playing since Cresent Hawk's Inception and Mechwarrior 1, first PC Hyundai super 16TE before 286 in DOS. So that makes me one of the original players. Currently after dropping MW4 from gameplay I am playing World of Tanks, Rise of Flight ICE and Mechwarrior Living Legends. I am awaiting the full release of this game.

Edited by Trooper_Thorn, 03 November 2011 - 06:32 AM.

#19 BloodyHell

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

MW2 is my game. I played through it I don't know how many times. As soon as I saw this game was coming out I joined up immediately. I'm actually playing through MW3 right now but I just started. We'll see how this goes :)

#20 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Classic Battletech table top player for almost 18 years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users