New Players - Avoiding Common Frustrations

1 reply to this topic

#1 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

New players - Welcome to MWO. Unfortunately this game has a high learning curve. So I'm putting this post together for all the new players to save you time, money, and frustration. There are a thousand similar posts, my goal is to provide answers to the less common questions or overlooked ones.

BEFORE YOU LAUNCH INTO COMBAT: First - after you login to the game, watch that initial 'training video' - then do the tutorial. Play in the test grounds for at least twenty minutes, get a feel for how your mech moves and shoots.
I require all my new teammates to watch the kanajashi series of videos here (approx 20m):

Though this one sums up most of what you need in 3 mins or less (if you're the impatient type):

Second - Settings: Set your sensitivity to about .3 - this game is about precision aim NOT twitch gaming. Also, disable in the settings (bottom right) arm lock (at minimum). The arm lock feature makes it 'easier' for new players but in my own testing causes the crosshair to bobble. Third person causes you to lose radar but eh it worked for a few people I know so that's your choice. Cockpit glass seems toned down so I prefer it on for immersion but you can disable that for cleaner visuals. Throttle decay is a useful thing for completely new players, IMO. Others may disagree. All it does it let your throttle work like a gas pedal instead of being 'always on' as many of us old-hat players prefer.

Third - Visual settings. This is trixy, hobbitses. Having run both geforce AND radeon mid-range cards:
Common settings: Particles to low is generally a good choice. Shadows to low or medium. I really prefer my brightness low (around .06 and gamma at around .25) - this makes the visuals stand out, especially laser fire. Damage glow turn off - it's beautiful but eats resources.

Radeon specific: FXAA works wonders.

Geforce specific: Seems like disabling AA works best. Tweaking might be in order either way. Try "high" defaults and work downward until you find something good. You'll typically find one setting is the one causing you all the trouble so toggle them one at a time, using f9 to bring up your framerate.

Playing online:
There is no PVE - yet. Supposedly they might add it. Don't bank on it though.
Games are 12v12 PVP. The game REWARDS PATIENCE.
Learning to hide behind rocks is useful.
Shooting from behind cover is useful.
Hitting what you aim at is useful.
Hitting 'R' to target enemies is useful (and helps your team!)
Tactics: New players are frequently circle-strafed to death. It's actually pretty easy to defeat, as long as you know what to do. If a light gets on you, make a 'j' turn backwards. Throw the mech in reverse and turn away from their turn. This gives you maximum face time against the enemy light, which is pretty much a http://i.imgur.com/n5BGWJ2.png
YAY BAD MS PAINT

New players frequently don't realize that their giant stompy robot isn't invulnerable. Use rocks/cover!

What mech to pick: Avoid lights and assaults, IMO. Lights are extremely hard to play well - feel free to try it if you want but genuinely new players do poorly in them. Stick with Medium and Heavy class mechs, which are more well rounded, better armed and armored. Mediums are less armored but generally well armed and fast. They're also much cheaper, cbill wise. Cbills are in game currency that you earn. It's the bulk of your grind in this game. So save your cadet bonus and when you have 10 million + cbills, then buy a bunch of mediums instead of one large assault. You'll get more mileage if you buy three hunchbacks for instance since you can then 'elite them'. Basically each mech has a skill tree and in order to progress a chassis (such as the hunchback) to the second or third level of the skill tree you must have completed the first tier of three separate hunchbacks. It's silly, but dems da rules.

What to expect: Don't expect to do well. In fact, even having played MW4 for years and years I came into this game and got stomped, hard. It's a LITTLE more forgiving nowadays. Your litmus should not be 'how much damage did I do, did I get xyz kills' - ... it should be 'did I live and/or was I helpful to my team'. This utility comes in a LOT of ways. Such as helping someone by focusing your fire on their target (killsteals are a thing but are less relevant in this game than others), providing ECM cover, tanking an enemy rush so your team can flank, etc. It takes about 300-500 games/drops to progress from newbie to amateur.

Things that are not helpful: Running off alone, especially into an enemy throng. You will die an ignominious and pointless death that way. Standing back, not engaging at all - also not helpful. Standing RIGHT NEXT to friendlies - not helpful. This limits their maneuverability. Try to give them some girth.
Purchasing new mechs: Save your cbill bonus from your first 25 games. Take this money (around 10-12 million cbills) and buy 3 cheap heavies or 3 cheap mediums. Save the remainder for upgrades (double heat sinks and endo steel for every mech gets pricey). In real world dollars, it behooves you to pay for preorder bonuses, though I'd recommend only dropping a little to start. This way you can reap the longer term bonuses of additional modules, warhorns, colors, etc without having to buy them piecemeal. In the short term, if you purchase a mech, wait for a sale (they happen on weekends).

Last tip: Join a unit, play with friends. It helps. Seriously.

Old players - don't be jerks. Generally this community is pretty good so I'm not really SUPER worried about this but we all know how people can drop after a single sour experience. Lets keep these guys happy and maybe grow our numbers :)

I hope this post wasn't too terribly redundant and ends up being of some utility for new players.

#2 DustySkunk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 257 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostGevurah, on 06 June 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

New players frequently don't realize that their giant stompy robot battlemech isn't invulnerable. Use rocks/cover!

FTFY ;) (no seriously, please fix that)

In all seriousness, great guide! I'll pass it along to anyone new I come across. One piece of constructive criticism: I'd maybe leave out the comment to the older folks/community at the end. It isn't relevant to new players and people could infer things about the game's state/health/community from it that aren't necessarily true.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together.

Edited by DustySkunk, 06 June 2015 - 10:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users