4 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

Removing the Gauss Rifle charge-up when just one is mounted would make the Gauss Rifle available and reasonable for all mechs. Right now the Gauss is really only for Dire Wolves and King Crabs and gives them an unreasonable advantage mounted in 2xGauss and 4xGauss configurations. Giving a single mounted Gauss Rifle no charge-up would grant a small amount of fairness to the weapon and even the field of play just a bit.

#2 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

thats rubbish - many IS Mechs are able to use Dual Gauss too - some even with backup weapons: JM, CTF, K2

so its not only DWF and King Crab

also - why should a single gauss + more backup weapons having an advantage over 2 gauss + less or no backup weapons? Since you mentioned DWF and King Crab - these two have a weight of 100 tons, and one even got a fixed engine - so they are not really fast (yes you can put a bigger engine into a King Crab, but it will never be fast).

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 08 June 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

Removing the Gauss Rifle charge-up when just one is mounted would make the Gauss Rifle available and reasonable for all mechs. Right now the Gauss is really only for Dire Wolves and King Crabs and gives them an unreasonable advantage mounted in 2xGauss and 4xGauss configurations. Giving a single mounted Gauss Rifle no charge-up would grant a small amount of fairness to the weapon and even the field of play just a bit.

1 Guass +2x PPC

#4 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 08 June 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

thats rubbish - many IS Mechs are able to use Dual Gauss too - some even with backup weapons: JM, CTF, K2

so its not only DWF and King Crab

also - why should a single gauss + more backup weapons having an advantage over 2 gauss + less or no backup weapons? Since you mentioned DWF and King Crab - these two have a weight of 100 tons, and one even got a fixed engine - so they are not really fast (yes you can put a bigger engine into a King Crab, but it will never be fast).

Many? You call 5 out of 60 plus and counting many? I call that very few and very limited and results in nothing resembling Battle Tech canon use of the Gauss which is much more common in the single mount than the 2xGauss that MWO players use predominantly. rarely ever see a single Gauss due to the ridiculous complexity of the charge-up. The reason it is tailored for DWF's and King Crabs is that they can carry a secondary loadout that is just as damaging so they do not actually suffer any penalty if they can't fire the 2xGauss due to target movement.

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 08 June 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

1 Guass +2x PPC

Much less damage than 5xLarge Lasers which is a common long range config that can much more easily hit for pin-point damage. Also the common Large Laser config for Stalkers and Banshees is 6xLarge Lasers. No Ghost Heat the lasers are just fired in two groups of 3 a half second or more apart.

The Gauss Rifle is the weakest DPS per payload ton weapon in MWO. That's what counts in MechWarrior in defining a weapon's actual damage value. If this were Quake where weapons have no weight then you would just count the damage per second. That's how MWO is balancing the Gauss, as if MWO was Quake instead of MechWarrior.

Edited by Lightfoot, 08 June 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#5 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

I tried mounting a Gauss in a Yen-Lo-Wang to mimic Kai Allard-Liao's upgrades to the 'Mech. I found the charge up delay to be maddening. When I pull a trigger, I expect a the weapon to fire unless some kind of safety is engaged.
Yet even though it needs to be manually charged before firing, the weapon still explodes when hit. You can guess the effect this had on a Centurion with an XL engine.

If the weapon isn't going to remain in a ready to fire state, at the very least, it shouldn't be so volatile.

I find the Gauss rifle to be the most poorly implemented weapon in the game and despise what was done to them for game balance. I would love to see a better solution.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users