#1 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

Situation:
late game, out numbered, out gunned, out played, the losing team, has the only option to die in a blaze of glory, or suicide to deny a kill.

What about a dropship that land with his load of weapon in a place not too close to the winning forces.
The dropship would land at a set kill difference, and stay put for some time giving a safe area for his friendly. Once the timer run out, the dropship will take off.
The mech that board their dropship are safe, and get some sort of bonus (or maybe not, it could be used as a griefing tool), but still they lose the match.

suggestion, thought?

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

A tactical retreat option could add an interesting dynamic. I think it would be important to not take place at one static point on each map. Perhaps it could randomly cycle and reuse one of the drop points each map.. ultimately a set or possible extraction points could be added to each map with one being automatically selected by the server when the proper requirements are met.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

For IS, shure.. retreat... CLANS... well.. we don't really retreat do we? :-P

If you'r the last guy... and your loosing 1:12... yeah.. just go out in a blaze of glory..

but don't get me wrong.. the idea has merit...

They could make a mode where the objective IS to retreat.. say, you have to survive 15 minutes of combat, and then, the dropship comes, you board it, and if more than a set number of your teammates have survived, you win.. if not, you loose..

The surviving members get some benefit for staying alive.. the attacking team gets a benefit for each enemy they kill...

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

This would be a nice option, however what would be the trigger. I would hate to see someone call one in early and run off, leaving the rest of us to die.

#5 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

the dropship in my mind would be called after a combination of:
  • difference between health of the mechs on team 1 and those on team 2
  • difference in kill (i would not count discos as dead to prevent people to mass disconnect/reconnect to summon the dropship)
  • difference in score between the survivors at that point.
for conquest the likeness the team with less mech could win by cap, should be a factor in the equation.

In short the system has to determine when the losing team odds to do a comeback are low enough to assume that the match is already lost and to prevent the dropship turning the match around.

The dropship in my idea is basically just fluff and should be never able to win a match.

Edited by Nazar24, 09 June 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#6 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

Clan units do retreat, though doing so while facing an oppontent considered inferior will result in disgrace. However, in the context of MWO, an elite merc unit like 228th may be considered a dishonorable (because not adhering to honorable combat) but dangerous opponent. With this flexibility in mind, i would not waste good OmniMechs if a battle is already lost.

I would totally love such a retreat mechanic, however it might be abused and while it could save time, it also would mean less playing time.. If we had a R&R system it would make much more sense to retreat, and if the winning force could pursue the retreating force, trying to slow them down, cut off their retreat path or just kill as many as they can, while the latter must disengage and run or execute a fighting retreat while going for their Dropship and get loaded on, well, that would be an exciting gameplay addition.

I fear this may be too complex to add as a standard gameplay feature though; however, it could be a CW gamemode: "Evacuation" or "Off-wold retreat" .

#7 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

A retreat mechanic would work nicely in Community Warfare matches if:
  • You could only take one (or have limited number) of drops on a single planet, thus creating a form of attrition.
  • It was also possible to recover/repair mechs lost in the battles and therefore have the ability to re-join the conflict.
  • You only committed one mech at a time to the battle, not the entire drop deck which would create a greater turn over of players in a match and allow a more fluid drop in drop out system.
  • The matches were not timed and instead had additional objectives to determine when the match 'finished'. ie. Capturing drop points.
Having a dropship swoop in to allow for a retreat would be pretty cool. Would need it to land and then be able to get your mech into the bay. Greater interaction with the droships would be good.

An alternative would be to allow players that run out of bounds at certain areas of the map, behind the drop points for example, to be recognised as having 'retreated' instead of just being destroyed.
If you run out of bounds in the wrong location and effectively head into enemy territory, then you are still destroyed.
Having retreat zones creates a mini objective in the matches for players to then attempt to cut off a retreat.... once again, perhaps by capturing the drop zones.

Some small adjustments to the end of match rewards could be made to identify the differences and could be based on the ratio of live players on each team.
ie. Retreating is only considered an acceptable course of action if your team is down 3:1 and you get some sort of survivor bonus.
The opposition still gets the win and a 'defeated enemy' bonus, little less salvage bonus etc.
Retreating while your team has the advantage could have a penalty for being a 'Deserter'.

I think it would be an interesting feature to add in.

Edited by 50 50, 09 June 2015 - 07:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users